|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Encounter on the Seine: Black Meets Brown.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the parents of the Melodeers oppose prior to their departure for Atlanta?
(a) Only one chaperone for the group.
(b) An extra tour.
(c) The trip to Atlanta.
(d) Mr. Wades as the group's manager and guardian .
2. How is the Negro in America referred to in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) A series of mishaps.
(b) A series of shadows.
(c) A mass of darkness.
(d) A gloomy mist.
3. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
(a) The Negroes would see a movie with an all-Negro cast.
(b) White people do not want to see an interracial cast.
(c) There are no white people to which the Negroes may be compared.
(d) The all-Negro cast is less intimidating.
4. How does Baldwin describe the entertainment industry in Paris for American performers in the 1940s and 50s?
5. What university were American soldiers attending in Paris?
(a) University of Paris.
(b) Sorbonne University.
(c) University of London.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the presidential candidate representing the Progressive Party at the time Baldwin wrote this essay?
2. What performer did Baldwin believe would be remembered for their performance as the embattled solider in Broadway's Deep Are the Roots?
3. Why does Baldwin criticize the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set?
4. What is the theme of Baldwin's Notes of a Native Son?
5. How does Baldwin describe the relationship between the Negroes and the Jews in Harlem?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)