|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Encounter on the Seine: Black Meets Brown.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the representative of the Progressive Party in Atlanta?
(a) Mr. Henry Wallace.
(b) Mrs. Branson Price.
(c) Mrs. Dorothy Dandridge.
(d) Mrs. Frank Johnson.
2. Who is the owner of the night club in the Latin Quarter that specializes in fried chicken and jazz?
(a) Chester Bomar Himes.
(b) Otto Preminger.
(c) Harry Belafonte.
(d) Inez Cavanaugh.
3. According to Baldwin, why has the face of the Negro changed over time?
(a) Because of the white man's need for making Negroes cook and clean the white man's home.
(b) Because of the portrayal of Uncle Tom.
(c) Because African Americans refuted the stereotypical images Aunt Jemima.
(d) Because of the white man's need for making Negroes as white as possible in order to interact with them.
4. What is the name of the first church that Baldwin can remember attending with his family as a child?
(a) 138th Street Baptist Church.
(b) Abyssinia Baptist Church.
(c) First Baptist Church.
(d) Harlem United Church.
5. How many of Baldwin's brothers were in the quartet?
Short Answer Questions
1. Of all Americans, who does Baldwin say Negroes distrust the most?
2. Who played the villainous second male lead in Carmen Jones?
3. Who was the presidential candidate representing the Progressive Party at the time Baldwin wrote this essay?
4. Approximately how many American Negroes were living in Paris during the 1950s?
5. According to Baldwin, who are the three most important characters in Uncle Tom's Cabin?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)