|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Encounter on the Seine: Black Meets Brown.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Baldwin assert that White people contribute to the perpetuation of the stereotypical characters such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom?
(a) Because Whites want to believe that Black people are unhappy with their lives.
(b) Because Whites like being entertained by the stereotypical figures of Black Americans.
(c) Because Whites want to believe the happy, subservient personas of Black people
(d) Because African Americans love to imitate these types of stereotypical characters.
2. What impeded the Progressive Party's progression in Harlem during the 1940s?
(a) The campaign promises were too extravagant.
(b) The campaign promises were geared towards Whites.
(c) The campaign promises were too common.
(d) The campaign promises were geared towards African Americans.
3. Protest novels are said to resemble:
(a) Missionaries to Africa.
(b) Missionaries to India.
(c) Missionaries to South America.
(d) Missionaries to America.
4. How many of Baldwin's brothers were in the quartet?
5. What genre of film is the movie Carmen Jones?
(b) Drama .
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Baldwin and his white friend from New York go on Baldwin's last night in New Jersey?
2. Who played the lead male role in the film Carmen Jones?
3. What color clothing did Baldwin say he did not have to wear to his father's funeral?
4. Where did the Melodeers room while in Atlanta?
5. In what year did Baldwin's father die?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)