|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Encounter on the Seine: Black Meets Brown.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Baldwin's father die?
2. Whose records did Baldwin's father forbid his children to play?
(a) The Golden Gate Quartet.
(b) James Brown.
(c) Louis Armstrong.
(d) The Melodeers.
3. Why is the language and dialect in the film Carmen Jones considered an insult on black people?
(a) Because the characters speak like stereotypical Negroes.
(b) Because the characters speak like northern born Negroes.
(c) Because the characters speak like antebellum Negroes adopting the patterns language of their masters.
(d) Because the characters speak like enslaved Africans.
4. What is the setting of the opening of Native Son?
(a) A Chicago tenement.
(b) A Harlem apartment.
(c) The projects of the Bronx, NY.
(d) A YMCA in Atlanta, GA.
5. What stereotypical trait is shared by the female and male leads in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Fine hair.
(b) Dark colored skin.
(c) Light colored skin.
(d) Blue eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Baldwin and his white friend from New York go on Baldwin's last night in New Jersey?
2. What is the theme of Baldwin's Notes of a Native Son?
3. Who played the lead role of Carmen in the film Carmen Jones?
4. Although it is known that African Americans are not biologically or mentally inferior, what occurred during the World War II?
5. How is the Negro in America referred to in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)