|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Encounter on the Seine: Black Meets Brown.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Baldwin, what has led to unforeseen paradoxical distress?
(a) Our passion for change.
(b) Our passion for clarity.
(c) Our passion for knowledge.
(d) Our passion for categorization.
2. Who is the author of Native Son?
(a) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(b) James Baldwin.
(c) Langston Hughes.
(d) Richard Wright.
3. According to Baldwin, what feeling did the American Negro and the French Negro share?
(a) A sense of overwhelming understanding.
(b) A sense of change.
(c) A sense of displacement.
(d) A sense of sadness.
4. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Whites?
(a) Protest Literature.
(b) Problem Literature.
(c) Social Literature.
(d) Change Literature.
5. Why does Baldwin assert that White people contribute to the perpetuation of the stereotypical characters such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom?
(a) Because Whites want to believe that Black people are unhappy with their lives.
(b) Because Whites want to believe the happy, subservient personas of Black people
(c) Because African Americans love to imitate these types of stereotypical characters.
(d) Because Whites like being entertained by the stereotypical figures of Black Americans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose records did Baldwin's father forbid his children to play?
2. Who is the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin?
3. In what year was the all-Black production of Carmen Jones released?
4. According to Baldwin, how does the book Native Son obliterate the good will of the people as a whole?
5. How long did the quartet's trip to Atlanta last?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)