|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Encounter on the Seine: Black Meets Brown.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Baldwin say is the hatred symbol of Georgia?
(a) The Mulatto.
(b) The Jew.
(c) The Negro.
(d) The Black man.
2. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Whites?
(a) Change Literature.
(b) Social Literature.
(c) Protest Literature.
(d) Problem Literature.
3. How was the 1955 production of Carmen Jones different than previous productions?
(a) It had an all-African cast.
(b) It had an all-white cast.
(c) It had an interracial cast.
(d) It had an all-Negro cast.
4. What does Baldwin say it means for the Negro to be religious?
(a) He stands in fear of God.
(b) He stands in fear of creation.
(c) He stands in fear of man.
(d) He stands in fear of beast.
5. Who traveled with Baldwin to visit his dying father on Long Island?
(a) Baldwin's mother.
(b) Baldwin's brother.
(c) Baldwin's aunt.
(d) Baldwin's friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the theme of Baldwin's Notes of a Native Son?
2. How is history and the progress of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
3. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
4. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Blacks?
5. What occurred a few hours after the funeral of Baldwin's father?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)