|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Encounter on the Seine: Black Meets Brown.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Baldwin, which one of the following performers had the ability to be a successful performer in Paris in the 1940s and 50s?
(a) Dorothy Dandridge.
(b) Jospehine Baker.
(c) Duke Ellington.
(d) Harry Belafonte.
2. What happened on the same day that Baldwin's father died?
(a) The seventh child was born.
(b) The eighth child was born.
(c) The tenth child was born.
(d) The ninth child was born.
3. How does Baldwin describe the American Ideal?
(a) Everyone should be as different as possible.
(b) Everyone should reconnect to American history.
(c) Everyone should be as alike as possible.
(d) Everyone should connect to their cultural identity.
4. According to Baldwin, what has led to unforeseen paradoxical distress?
(a) Our passion for clarity.
(b) Our passion for change.
(c) Our passion for categorization.
(d) Our passion for knowledge.
5. Why does Baldwin criticize the book Native Son?
(a) The book negates the whole race and converts the Negro man's pride into anger.
(b) The book describes the life of a Negro man as if he was a White man.
(c) The book negates the role of the black woman in society.
(d) The book dehumanizes Negro women and makes the Negro man superior to the Negro woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the aim of the quartet groups like the Melodeers?
2. What occurred a few hours after the funeral of Baldwin's father?
3. Why is the language and dialect in the film Carmen Jones considered an insult on black people?
4. Who played the lead male role in the film Carmen Jones?
5. How does Baldwin describe the relationship between the Negroes and the Jews in Harlem?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)