|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Encounter on the Seine: Black Meets Brown.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Baldwin criticize the book Native Son?
(a) The book dehumanizes Negro women and makes the Negro man superior to the Negro woman.
(b) The book describes the life of a Negro man as if he was a White man.
(c) The book negates the role of the black woman in society.
(d) The book negates the whole race and converts the Negro man's pride into anger.
2. Where is Atlanta located?
(b) New York.
3. What negative stereotype does the character Carmen Jones perpetuate?
(a) The stereotype of Negro women being the desire of white men's lust.
(b) The stereotype of subservient Negro women.
(c) The stereotype of light skinned Negroes being smarter than dark skinned Negroes.
(d) The stereotype of rampant sexuality.
4. What color clothing did Baldwin say he did not have to wear to his father's funeral?
5. How long did the quartet's trip to Atlanta last?
(a) 16 days.
(b) 18 days.
(c) 14 days.
(d) 20 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the aim of the quartet groups like the Melodeers?
2. What two big name magazines, popular in the African American community in the 1940s, are mentioned in the chapter entitled The Harlem Ghetto?
3. What does Baldwin say is the hatred symbol of Georgia?
4. Which of the following artists was mentioned in the Harlem Ghetto chapter as having a column in the People's Voice?
5. Baldwin believed that the American Negro in Paris in the 1940s and 50s was forced to exercise what practice?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)