|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Encounter on the Seine: Black Meets Brown.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is history and the progress of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
2. What is the name of the first church that Baldwin can remember attending with his family as a child?
(a) 138th Street Baptist Church.
(b) Harlem United Church.
(c) Abyssinia Baptist Church.
(d) First Baptist Church.
3. What genre of film is the movie Carmen Jones?
(d) Drama .
4. What is the avowed aim of the American protest novel?
(a) To bring Christianity to the oppressed.
(b) To bring greater charity to the oppressed.
(c) To bring greater freedom to the oppressed.
(d) To bring the ideals of socialism to the oppressed.
5. Which of the following is not a characteristic given to history by Baldwin?
(a) Negative images in the media.
(b) Remote Violence.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Baldwin criticize the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set?
2. What are there more of in Harlem than any other ghetto in the city?
3. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Whites?
4. Who played the lead role of Carmen in the film Carmen Jones?
5. According to Baldwin, who are the three most important characters in Uncle Tom's Cabin?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)