|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Encounter on the Seine: Black Meets Brown.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who traveled with Baldwin to visit his dying father on Long Island?
(a) Baldwin's friend.
(b) Baldwin's aunt.
(c) Baldwin's brother.
(d) Baldwin's mother.
2. Why does Baldwin criticize the book Native Son?
(a) The book negates the whole race and converts the Negro man's pride into anger.
(b) The book dehumanizes Negro women and makes the Negro man superior to the Negro woman.
(c) The book negates the role of the black woman in society.
(d) The book describes the life of a Negro man as if he was a White man.
3. Who was the legal guardian and road manager of the Melodeers during their journey to Atlanta?
(a) Adam Jones.
(b) Branson Price.
(c) Henry Wallace.
(d) Clarence Warde.
4. The story of Carmen Jones deals with what type of people?
5. Why is the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set necessary for white audiences?
(a) The cleanliness makes white audiences want to watch more Negro movies.
(b) The cleanliness makes white audiences view the black actors as equals.
(c) The cleanliness makes white audiences more comfortable with the role of the lead male Negro.
(d) The cleanliness makes white audiences more comfortable with seeing Negroes in familiar situations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where can the true raison d'être of the Negro press be found?
2. Where did the Melodeers ultimately end up rehearsing for their performances in Atlanta?
3. What is the theme of Baldwin's Notes of a Native Son?
4. What is the name of the night club in the Latin Quarter that specializes in fried chicken and jazz?
5. What does Baldwin say is the hatred symbol of Harlem?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)