|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Encounter on the Seine: Black Meets Brown.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Baldwin describe the American Ideal?
(a) Everyone should be as different as possible.
(b) Everyone should reconnect to American history.
(c) Everyone should be as alike as possible.
(d) Everyone should connect to their cultural identity.
2. What two big name magazines, popular in the African American community in the 1940s, are mentioned in the chapter entitled The Harlem Ghetto?
(a) Ebony and Jet.
(b) Essence and Jet.
(c) Ebony and Our World.
(d) Ebony and Essence.
3. Which of the following is not a characteristic given to history by Baldwin?
(a) Negative images in the media.
(b) Remote Violence.
4. How has Harlem changed since Baldwin's parents' lifetime?
(a) Somewhat in the Jewish occupied areas.
(b) Not much.
(c) Not at all.
(d) A great deal.
5. What legislation made it possible for American soldiers to pay for their education in Paris after the war?
(a) The Foreign Education Bill.
(b) The Soldier's Education Act.
(c) The Veterans Educational Achievement Act.
(d) G.I. Bill.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, what characteristic does Dorothy Dandridge have that Pearl Bailey lacks?
2. How long did the quartet's trip to Atlanta last?
3. What performer did Baldwin believe would be remembered for their performance as the embattled solider in Broadway's Deep Are the Roots?
4. Protest novels are said to resemble:
5. In what era did James Baldwin write Notes of a Native Son?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)