|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Encounter on the Seine: Black Meets Brown.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin?
(a) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(b) George S. Schuyler.
(c) Richard Wright.
(d) James Baldwin.
2. What technique did Baldwin say he used in arguments with his father?
(a) Combative behavior.
(b) Name calling.
3. What point of view does Baldwin use in this essay?
(a) Third person narrative.
(b) Second person narrative.
(c) First person limited narrative.
(d) First person narrative.
4. According to Baldwin, how does the book Native Son obliterate the good will of the people as a whole?
(a) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story that white men only like subservient black men and women.
(b) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story of hatred and the idea that Negroes can only become validated if they become more like white men.
(c) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story that stereotypical images share laudatory and heinous qualities with the best possible traits coming to the surface for white consumption.
(d) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story that Negroes are always angry at white men.
5. What is the name of the first church that Baldwin can remember attending with his family as a child?
(a) Harlem United Church.
(b) 138th Street Baptist Church.
(c) First Baptist Church.
(d) Abyssinia Baptist Church.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the only white people that visited Baldwin's childhood home?
2. Why was Uncle Tom's Cabin was written?
3. What does Baldwin say is the hatred symbol of Harlem?
4. According to Baldwin, who were the only people able to maintain a useful and unquestioned friendship with Negroes during the 1940s and 50s in Paris?
5. According to Baldwin, what color are the robes of the saved?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)