|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Encounter on the Seine: Black Meets Brown.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a characteristic given to history by Baldwin?
(a) Remote Violence.
(b) Negative images in the media.
2. According to Baldwin, who were the only people able to maintain a useful and unquestioned friendship with Negroes during the 1940s and 50s in Paris?
(a) The French.
(b) Negro entertainers.
(c) White Americans.
(d) Negro soliders.
3. Why does Baldwin assert that White people contribute to the perpetuation of the stereotypical characters such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom?
(a) Because Whites want to believe that Black people are unhappy with their lives.
(b) Because African Americans love to imitate these types of stereotypical characters.
(c) Because Whites like being entertained by the stereotypical figures of Black Americans.
(d) Because Whites want to believe the happy, subservient personas of Black people
4. What type of accommodations were promised to the Melodeers prior to leaving for Atlanta?
(a) Dormitory style accommodations.
(b) Two to a room.
(c) One to a room.
(d) Four to a room.
5. Who were the only white people that visited Baldwin's childhood home?
(a) Bill Collectors and police officers.
(b) Welfare workers and teachers.
(c) Welfare workers and bill collectors.
(d) Welfare workers and police officers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although it is known that African Americans are not biologically or mentally inferior, what occurred during the World War II?
2. In what year did Baldwin's father die?
3. What was the profession of Baldwin's father?
4. What are there more of in Harlem than any other ghetto in the city?
5. Protest novels are said to resemble:
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)