|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Encounter on the Seine: Black Meets Brown.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
(a) Aunt Jemima and Carmen Jones.
(b) Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom.
(c) Carmen Jones and Uncle Tom.
(d) Aunt Jemima and Othello.
2. What stereotypical trait is shared by the female and male leads in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Dark colored skin.
(b) Light colored skin.
(c) Fine hair.
(d) Blue eyes.
3. According to Baldwin, both the Negro and the Jew are characterized as:
4. How does Baldwin describe the entertainment industry in Paris for American performers in the 1940s and 50s?
5. In what year was the all-Black production of Carmen Jones released?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the presidential candidate representing the Progressive Party at the time Baldwin wrote this essay?
2. How long did the quartet's trip to Atlanta last?
3. According to Baldwin, who were the only people able to maintain a useful and unquestioned friendship with Negroes during the 1940s and 50s in Paris?
4. What emotion of Baldwin's father does he describe as "never to be trusted"?
5. What was the political affiliation of the Amsterdam Star-News?
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)