|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Encounter on the Seine: Black Meets Brown.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Baldwin give for Blacks living in Paris?
(a) They wanted to marry French women.
(b) They fell in love with the language and cultural of Paris.
(c) They wanted to learn more about France.
(d) They wanted to escape from American society.
2. How has Harlem changed since Baldwin's parents' lifetime?
(a) Not much.
(b) A great deal.
(c) Not at all.
(d) Somewhat in the Jewish occupied areas.
3. Why does Baldwin criticize the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set?
(a) Because they do not show the intermingling of working class Negroes and Whites.
(b) Because they do not accurately portray the working-class.
(c) Because it does not accurately portray the American ghetto.
(d) Because they do not accurately portray the environments of the working class Negroes characterized in the movie.
4. What novel does Baldwin compare Uncle Tom's Cabin to?
(a) Black Boy.
(c) Little Women.
(d) Native Son.
5. How long did the quartet's trip to Atlanta last?
(a) 16 days.
(b) 14 days.
(c) 18 days.
(d) 20 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Baldwin describe the entertainment industry in Paris for American performers in the 1940s and 50s?
2. What are there more of in Harlem than any other ghetto in the city?
3. Protest novels are said to resemble:
4. Of all Americans, who does Baldwin say Negroes distrust the most?
5. What technique did Baldwin say he used in arguments with his father?
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)