|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Encounter on the Seine: Black Meets Brown.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What technique did Baldwin say he used in arguments with his father?
(a) Name calling.
(b) Combative behavior.
2. Instead of discussing the past, what does Baldwin suggest the American Negro and Whites discuss while in Paris in the 1940s and 50s?
(a) French politics.
(b) The Eiffel Tower.
(d) American politics.
3. How does Baldwin say American life compares to life in other parts of the world in the 1940s?
(a) People in America are indifferent to what is going on in other parts of the world.
(b) Life in America moves slower.
(c) Life in America moves faster.
(d) Life in America moves at the same pace as other places in the world.
4. What university were American soldiers attending in Paris?
(a) University of London.
(b) Sorbonne University.
(d) University of Paris.
5. According to Baldwin, what has led to unforeseen paradoxical distress?
(a) Our passion for change.
(b) Our passion for clarity.
(c) Our passion for categorization.
(d) Our passion for knowledge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What novel does Baldwin criticize as a more modern piece of shallow propaganda from the Negro experience?
2. How are the oppressed and oppressor described in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
3. Who was the representative of the Progressive Party in Atlanta?
4. What happened on the same day that Baldwin's father died?
5. What is the name of the night club in the Latin Quarter that specializes in fried chicken and jazz?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)