|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Journey to Atlanta.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the Negro in America referred to in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) A mass of darkness.
(b) A series of shadows.
(c) A gloomy mist.
(d) A series of mishaps.
2. The story of Carmen Jones deals with what type of people?
3. What's the name of Baldwin's brother who relayed his experience with the Melodeers in Atlanta?
4. Who played the lead male role in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Sammy Davis, Jr.
(b) Harry Belafonte.
(c) Joe Adams.
(d) Sidney Poitier.
5. Of all Americans, who does Baldwin say Negroes distrust the most?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Baldwin insist that the operatic songs performed by the cast in the film Carmen Jones have no connection to Negro life?
2. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
3. Who is the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin?
4. Who is the author of Native Son?
5. What does Baldwin claim Jews and Negroes must use in order to be accepted in the 1940s and 1950s?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)