|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Journey to Atlanta.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the Melodeers room while in Atlanta?
(b) The homes of Progressive Party members.
(d) a Negro motel.
2. Which of the following is not a characteristic given to history by Baldwin?
(b) Negative images in the media.
(c) Remote Violence.
3. What does Baldwin suggest the presupposition of the two novels Kingsblood Royal and If He Hollers Let Him Go are in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) The Negro is a man without a homeland.
(b) Blacks need to make themselves less offensive.
(c) Black is a terrible color with which to be born into the world.
(d) Black men are inferior to white men.
4. Why does Baldwin insist that the operatic songs performed by the cast in the film Carmen Jones have no connection to Negro life?
(a) The music pieces were sung by white people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(b) The music pieces were sung by middle class black people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(c) The music pieces were sung in Italian and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(d) The music pieces were sung by white men and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
5. Where is Harlem located?
(c) New Jersey.
(d) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Baldwin think the Negro vote was so easily bought and sold in the 1940s?
2. What novel does Baldwin compare Uncle Tom's Cabin to?
3. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Blacks?
4. What was the political affiliation of the Amsterdam Star-News?
5. What novel does Baldwin criticize as a more modern piece of shallow propaganda from the Negro experience?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)