|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Journey to Atlanta.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the Melodeers ultimately end up rehearsing for their performances in Atlanta?
(a) A Negro motel.
(b) A private home.
2. What has made some changes in the face of the Negro?
3. According to Baldwin, if black faces cannot be made white then what other way can they be changed in order to be less offensive to white society?
4. What stereotypical trait is shared by the female and male leads in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Light colored skin.
(b) Dark colored skin.
(c) Fine hair.
(d) Blue eyes.
5. How does Baldwin describe the American Ideal?
(a) Everyone should be as different as possible.
(b) Everyone should be as alike as possible.
(c) Everyone should connect to their cultural identity.
(d) Everyone should reconnect to American history.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Baldwin assert that White people contribute to the perpetuation of the stereotypical characters such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom?
2. What newspaper rivaled the Amsterdam Star-News in the 1940s?
3. What type of accommodations were promised to the Melodeers prior to leaving for Atlanta?
4. How long did the quartet's trip to Atlanta last?
5. Since Negroes have been in this country, Baldwin writes that their one devastating gain was:
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)