|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Journey to Atlanta.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the political affiliation of the Amsterdam Star-News?
2. According to Baldwin, at what point does the making of an American begin?
(a) At the point where the individual reaches Ellis Island in New York.
(b) At the point that the person enters the country and adopts the venture of the adopted land.
(c) At the point where the individual rejects all other ties and history to other nations and adopts the venture of the adopted land.
(d) At the point where the individual rejects all other ties and history to other nations and receives their U.S. citizenship from the government.
3. What was the name of the establishment where the Melodeers ate their meals while in Atlanta?
(a) Fraziers' Diner.
(b) Red's Diner.
(c) Fraziers' Café.
(d) Hunter Street Café.
4. According to Baldwin, who are the three most important characters in Uncle Tom's Cabin?
(a) Uncle Tom, Miss Ophelia, and Eliza.
(b) George, St. Clair, and Uncle Tom.
(c) George, Eliza, and Uncle Tom.
(d) George, Miss Ophelia, and Uncle Tom.
5. What negative stereotype does the character Carmen Jones perpetuate?
(a) The stereotype of light skinned Negroes being smarter than dark skinned Negroes.
(b) The stereotype of subservient Negro women.
(c) The stereotype of rampant sexuality.
(d) The stereotype of Negro women being the desire of white men's lust.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is not one of the two legends of the "white Gentile" as described by Baldwin?
2. In what year was the all-Black production of Carmen Jones released?
3. Where can the true raison d'être of the Negro press be found?
4. Which of the following artists was mentioned in the Harlem Ghetto chapter as having a column in the People's Voice?
5. Who played the villainous second male lead in Carmen Jones?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)