|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Journey to Atlanta.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Baldwin assert that White people contribute to the perpetuation of the stereotypical characters such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom?
(a) Because Whites want to believe the happy, subservient personas of Black people
(b) Because African Americans love to imitate these types of stereotypical characters.
(c) Because Whites want to believe that Black people are unhappy with their lives.
(d) Because Whites like being entertained by the stereotypical figures of Black Americans.
2. What was the aim of the quartet groups like the Melodeers?
(a) To travel to other parts of the country.
(b) To make a livelihood from music.
(c) To change Whites' views of Black music.
(d) To sing at churches.
3. Who played the lead role of Carmen in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Lena Horne.
(b) Pearl Bailey.
(c) Carmen Jones.
(d) Dorothy Dandridge.
4. According to Baldwin, what color is associated with evil?
5. Who is the author of Native Son?
(a) James Baldwin.
(b) Langston Hughes.
(c) Richard Wright.
(d) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baldwin say is the hatred symbol of Harlem?
2. Baldwin believes that the novel Uncle Tom's Cabin should have been:
3. Although it is known that African Americans are not biologically or mentally inferior, what occurred during the World War II?
4. According to Baldwin, how does the book Native Son obliterate the good will of the people as a whole?
5. Which of the following is not a characteristic given to history by Baldwin?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)