|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Journey to Atlanta.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who played the villainous second male lead in Carmen Jones?
(a) Joe Adams.
(b) Harry Belafonte.
(c) Sammy Davis, Jr.
(d) Sidney Poitier.
2. How does Baldwin describe a "new society" in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
(a) One in which inequalities change because of protests.
(b) One in which inequalities will disappear and vengeance will be exacted.
(c) One in which Negros resume their slave duties.
(d) One in which Negros and Whites work together.
3. What stereotypical trait is shared by the female and male leads in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Dark colored skin.
(b) Fine hair.
(c) Light colored skin.
(d) Blue eyes.
4. Why did Baldwin think the Negro vote was so easily bought and sold in the 1940s?
(a) Because Whites has a great influence in Black politics.
(b) Because Blacks did care about politics.
(c) Because Blacks were in need of money.
(d) Because it was treated with little respect.
5. What was the aim of the quartet groups like the Melodeers?
(a) To change Whites' views of Black music.
(b) To make a livelihood from music.
(c) To travel to other parts of the country.
(d) To sing at churches.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Melodeers room while in Atlanta?
2. What is the avowed aim of the American protest novel?
3. According to Baldwin, what color are the robes of the saved?
4. Of all Americans, who does Baldwin say Negroes distrust the most?
5. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)