|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Journey to Atlanta.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the establishment where the Melodeers ate their meals while in Atlanta?
(a) Fraziers' Café.
(b) Red's Diner.
(c) Hunter Street Café.
(d) Fraziers' Diner.
2. Since Negroes have been in this country, Baldwin writes that their one devastating gain was:
3. What newspaper rivaled the Amsterdam Star-News in the 1940s?
(a) The Afro-American.
(b) The Pittsburgh Courier.
(c) The New York Times.
(d) The People's Voice.
4. How does Baldwin describe the relationship between the Negroes and the Jews in Harlem?
5. Why does Baldwin criticize the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set?
(a) Because they do not accurately portray the environments of the working class Negroes characterized in the movie.
(b) Because it does not accurately portray the American ghetto.
(c) Because they do not show the intermingling of working class Negroes and Whites.
(d) Because they do not accurately portray the working-class.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of all Americans, who does Baldwin say Negroes distrust the most?
2. Baldwin believes that the novel Uncle Tom's Cabin should have been:
3. Why does Baldwin assert that White people contribute to the perpetuation of the stereotypical characters such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom?
4. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
5. According to Baldwin, what color is associated with evil?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)