|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Journey to Atlanta.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Baldwin, what color is associated with evil?
2. Why was Uncle Tom's Cabin was written?
(a) To show the every day life of a slave.
(b) To prove slavery is wrong.
(c) To abolish slavery.
(d) To tell the true story of Uncle Tom.
3. Why is the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set necessary for white audiences?
(a) The cleanliness makes white audiences more comfortable with the role of the lead male Negro.
(b) The cleanliness makes white audiences more comfortable with seeing Negroes in familiar situations.
(c) The cleanliness makes white audiences view the black actors as equals.
(d) The cleanliness makes white audiences want to watch more Negro movies.
4. What is the avowed aim of the American protest novel?
(a) To bring greater freedom to the oppressed.
(b) To bring Christianity to the oppressed.
(c) To bring the ideals of socialism to the oppressed.
(d) To bring greater charity to the oppressed.
5. Since Negroes have been in this country, Baldwin writes that their one devastating gain was:
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, if black faces cannot be made white then what other way can they be changed in order to be less offensive to white society?
2. What impeded the Progressive Party's progression in Harlem during the 1940s?
3. What two big name magazines, popular in the African American community in the 1940s, are mentioned in the chapter entitled The Harlem Ghetto?
4. According to Baldwin, what characteristic does Dorothy Dandridge have that Pearl Bailey lacks?
5. What is not one of the two legends of the "white Gentile" as described by Baldwin?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)