|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Journey to Atlanta.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Baldwin criticize the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set?
(a) Because they do not show the intermingling of working class Negroes and Whites.
(b) Because it does not accurately portray the American ghetto.
(c) Because they do not accurately portray the environments of the working class Negroes characterized in the movie.
(d) Because they do not accurately portray the working-class.
2. Where can the true raison d'être of the Negro press be found?
(a) Letters to the editor.
(b) The front pages of the Negro newspapers.
(c) Lifestyle sections of the Black magazines.
(d) Ebony magazine.
3. How was the 1955 production of Carmen Jones different than previous productions?
(a) It had an all-Negro cast.
(b) It had an all-white cast.
(c) It had an interracial cast.
(d) It had an all-African cast.
4. Who had the money to pay for the Melodeers' accommodations in Atlanta?
(a) Mrs. Brandon Price.
(b) Henry Wallace.
(c) Louis Burner.
(d) Clarance Warde.
5. What does Baldwin regard as the most important thing about the film Carmen Jones?
(a) The questions it leaves about the relationship between Whites and Negroes.
(b) The changes it suggests about the lives of Negroes.
(c) The questions it leaves in the mind relate more to inferior life of Americans.
(d) The impression it leaves about the realities of Negro life.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Baldwin say American life compares to life in other parts of the world in the 1940s?
2. Since Negroes have been in this country, Baldwin writes that their one devastating gain was:
3. Why was Uncle Tom's Cabin was written?
4. Which of the following is not a characteristic given to history by Baldwin?
5. What Hollywood studio produced the film Carmen Jones?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)