|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Journey to Atlanta.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What's the name of Baldwin's brother who relayed his experience with the Melodeers in Atlanta?
2. In what year was the all-Black production of Carmen Jones released?
3. According to Baldwin, at what point does the making of an American begin?
(a) At the point that the person enters the country and adopts the venture of the adopted land.
(b) At the point where the individual rejects all other ties and history to other nations and receives their U.S. citizenship from the government.
(c) At the point where the individual reaches Ellis Island in New York.
(d) At the point where the individual rejects all other ties and history to other nations and adopts the venture of the adopted land.
4. How long did the quartet's trip to Atlanta last?
(a) 16 days.
(b) 14 days.
(c) 20 days.
(d) 18 days.
5. Where did the Melodeers ultimately end up rehearsing for their performances in Atlanta?
(a) A Negro motel.
(b) A private home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baldwin say is the hatred symbol of Harlem?
2. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Whites?
3. According to Baldwin, what characteristic does Dorothy Dandridge have that Pearl Bailey lacks?
4. Why does Baldwin criticize the book Native Son?
5. Why is the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set necessary for white audiences?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)