|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Journey to Atlanta.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Baldwin describe a "new society" in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
(a) One in which Negros resume their slave duties.
(b) One in which Negros and Whites work together.
(c) One in which inequalities will disappear and vengeance will be exacted.
(d) One in which inequalities change because of protests.
2. Who had the money to pay for the Melodeers' accommodations in Atlanta?
(a) Louis Burner.
(b) Clarance Warde.
(c) Henry Wallace.
(d) Mrs. Brandon Price.
3. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Blacks?
(a) Change Literature.
(b) Protest Literature.
(c) Problem Literature.
(d) Social Literature.
4. What does Baldwin say it means for the Negro to be religious?
(a) He stands in fear of man.
(b) He stands in fear of creation.
(c) He stands in fear of God.
(d) He stands in fear of beast.
5. Why does Baldwin criticize the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set?
(a) Because they do not accurately portray the environments of the working class Negroes characterized in the movie.
(b) Because they do not show the intermingling of working class Negroes and Whites.
(c) Because it does not accurately portray the American ghetto.
(d) Because they do not accurately portray the working-class.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Baldwin describe the American Ideal?
2. How does Baldwin say American life compares to life in other parts of the world in the 1940s?
3. What does Baldwin say is the hatred symbol of Georgia?
4. Who is the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin?
5. What newspaper rivaled the Amsterdam Star-News in the 1940s?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)