|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Journey to Atlanta.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Baldwin believes that the novel Uncle Tom's Cabin should have been:
(a) A Novel.
(b) A Short Story.
(c) A Play.
(d) A Pamphlet.
2. How is the Negro in America referred to in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) A series of shadows.
(b) A series of mishaps.
(c) A mass of darkness.
(d) A gloomy mist.
3. Why does Baldwin assert that White people contribute to the perpetuation of the stereotypical characters such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom?
(a) Because Whites want to believe the happy, subservient personas of Black people
(b) Because African Americans love to imitate these types of stereotypical characters.
(c) Because Whites like being entertained by the stereotypical figures of Black Americans.
(d) Because Whites want to believe that Black people are unhappy with their lives.
4. What stereotypical trait do the immoral and evil characters share in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Coarse hair.
(b) Dark colored skin.
(c) Brown eyes.
5. Although it is known that African Americans are not biologically or mentally inferior, what occurred during the World War II?
(a) The troops were segregated.
(b) The troops were integrated.
(c) African Americans were not allowed to fight.
(d) The troops were evaluated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What newspaper rivaled the Amsterdam Star-News in the 1940s?
2. Who played the villainous second male lead in Carmen Jones?
3. What novel does Baldwin compare Uncle Tom's Cabin to?
4. What's the name of Baldwin's brother who relayed his experience with the Melodeers in Atlanta?
5. Where did the Melodeers room while in Atlanta?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)