|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Journey to Atlanta.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting of the opening of Native Son?
(a) A Chicago tenement.
(b) A YMCA in Atlanta, GA.
(c) The projects of the Bronx, NY.
(d) A Harlem apartment.
2. Who is the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin?
(a) George S. Schuyler.
(b) Richard Wright.
(c) James Baldwin.
(d) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
3. What point of view does Baldwin use in this essay?
(a) Second person narrative.
(b) First person limited narrative.
(c) Third person narrative.
(d) First person narrative.
4. Why does Baldwin criticize the book Native Son?
(a) The book describes the life of a Negro man as if he was a White man.
(b) The book negates the whole race and converts the Negro man's pride into anger.
(c) The book dehumanizes Negro women and makes the Negro man superior to the Negro woman.
(d) The book negates the role of the black woman in society.
5. What has made some changes in the face of the Negro?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baldwin suggest the presupposition of the two novels Kingsblood Royal and If He Hollers Let Him Go are in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
2. How is history and the progress of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
3. Where is Harlem located?
4. What two big name magazines, popular in the African American community in the 1940s, are mentioned in the chapter entitled The Harlem Ghetto?
5. What novel does Baldwin criticize as a more modern piece of shallow propaganda from the Negro experience?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)