|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Journey to Atlanta.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are the oppressed and oppressor described in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
(a) They are bound together within the same society.
(b) They are divided by society.
(c) They are both are oppressed.
(d) They are separated by common law.
2. According to Baldwin, what characteristic does Dorothy Dandridge have that Pearl Bailey lacks?
3. What is not one of the two legends of the "white Gentile" as described by Baldwin?
(a) He has taught the Negro to be inferior.
(b) He treats the Negro like a slave.
(c) He has divided Negro men and women.
(d) He has divided the Jews and Negroes.
4. How is the story of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) The story of the original American settlers.
(b) The story of Americans.
(c) The story of Native Americans.
(d) The story of African Americans.
5. What impeded the Progressive Party's progression in Harlem during the 1940s?
(a) The campaign promises were too common.
(b) The campaign promises were geared towards African Americans.
(c) The campaign promises were geared towards Whites.
(d) The campaign promises were too extravagant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
2. Where did the Melodeers room while in Atlanta?
3. How was the 1955 production of Carmen Jones different than previous productions?
4. What are there more of in Harlem than any other ghetto in the city?
5. In what era did James Baldwin write Notes of a Native Son?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)