|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Carmen Jones: The Dark Is Light Enough.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Baldwin insist that the operatic songs performed by the cast in the film Carmen Jones have no connection to Negro life?
(a) The music pieces were sung in Italian and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(b) The music pieces were sung by white people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(c) The music pieces were sung by white men and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(d) The music pieces were sung by middle class black people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
2. How is the story of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) The story of Americans.
(b) The story of Native Americans.
(c) The story of African Americans.
(d) The story of the original American settlers.
3. What stereotypical trait is shared by the female and male leads in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Blue eyes.
(b) Fine hair.
(c) Light colored skin.
(d) Dark colored skin.
4. The story of Carmen Jones deals with what type of people?
5. According to Baldwin, who are the three most important characters in Uncle Tom's Cabin?
(a) George, Eliza, and Uncle Tom.
(b) George, St. Clair, and Uncle Tom.
(c) Uncle Tom, Miss Ophelia, and Eliza.
(d) George, Miss Ophelia, and Uncle Tom.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the oppressed and oppressor described in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
2. Baldwin believes that the novel Uncle Tom's Cabin should have been:
3. How does Baldwin describe a "new society" in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
4. According to Baldwin, what color are the robes of the saved?
5. Although it is known that African Americans are not biologically or mentally inferior, what occurred during the World War II?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)