|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Carmen Jones: The Dark Is Light Enough.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What point of view does Baldwin use in this essay?
(a) First person limited narrative.
(b) Third person narrative.
(c) First person narrative.
(d) Second person narrative.
2. How does Baldwin describe a "new society" in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
(a) One in which inequalities change because of protests.
(b) One in which Negros resume their slave duties.
(c) One in which Negros and Whites work together.
(d) One in which inequalities will disappear and vengeance will be exacted.
3. Why is the language and dialect in the film Carmen Jones considered an insult on black people?
(a) Because the characters speak like stereotypical Negroes.
(b) Because the characters speak like enslaved Africans.
(c) Because the characters speak like antebellum Negroes adopting the patterns language of their masters.
(d) Because the characters speak like northern born Negroes.
4. According to Baldwin, if black faces cannot be made white then what other way can they be changed in order to be less offensive to white society?
5. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Whites?
(a) Change Literature.
(b) Problem Literature.
(c) Protest Literature.
(d) Social Literature.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a characteristic given to history by Baldwin?
2. What is the avowed aim of the American protest novel?
3. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
4. Who played the lead role of Carmen in the film Carmen Jones?
5. What has made some changes in the face of the Negro?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)