|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Carmen Jones: The Dark Is Light Enough.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who played the lead role of Carmen in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Carmen Jones.
(b) Lena Horne.
(c) Dorothy Dandridge.
(d) Pearl Bailey.
2. What negative stereotype does the character Carmen Jones perpetuate?
(a) The stereotype of subservient Negro women.
(b) The stereotype of Negro women being the desire of white men's lust.
(c) The stereotype of rampant sexuality.
(d) The stereotype of light skinned Negroes being smarter than dark skinned Negroes.
3. According to Baldwin, what color is associated with evil?
4. What stereotypical trait is shared by the female and male leads in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Light colored skin.
(b) Dark colored skin.
(c) Blue eyes.
(d) Fine hair.
5. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
(a) The all-Negro cast is less intimidating.
(b) The Negroes would see a movie with an all-Negro cast.
(c) White people do not want to see an interracial cast.
(d) There are no white people to which the Negroes may be compared.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, at what point does the making of an American begin?
2. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Whites?
3. Who played the villainous second male lead in Carmen Jones?
4. In what year was the all-Black production of Carmen Jones released?
5. Protest novels are said to resemble:
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)