|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Carmen Jones: The Dark Is Light Enough.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Baldwin suggest the presupposition of the two novels Kingsblood Royal and If He Hollers Let Him Go are in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) The Negro is a man without a homeland.
(b) Black is a terrible color with which to be born into the world.
(c) Black men are inferior to white men.
(d) Blacks need to make themselves less offensive.
2. According to Baldwin, what has led to unforeseen paradoxical distress?
(a) Our passion for categorization.
(b) Our passion for change.
(c) Our passion for clarity.
(d) Our passion for knowledge.
3. How does Baldwin describe a "new society" in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
(a) One in which Negros resume their slave duties.
(b) One in which inequalities change because of protests.
(c) One in which Negros and Whites work together.
(d) One in which inequalities will disappear and vengeance will be exacted.
4. Who played the lead male role in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Sammy Davis, Jr.
(b) Joe Adams.
(c) Sidney Poitier.
(d) Harry Belafonte.
5. What stereotypical trait is shared by the female and male leads in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Light colored skin.
(b) Blue eyes.
(c) Fine hair.
(d) Dark colored skin.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what era did James Baldwin write Notes of a Native Son?
2. What is the setting of the opening of Native Son?
3. According to Baldwin, at what point does the making of an American begin?
4. What is the theme of Baldwin's Notes of a Native Son?
5. Why does Baldwin criticize the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)