|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Carmen Jones: The Dark Is Light Enough.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who played the villainous second male lead in Carmen Jones?
(a) Sidney Poitier.
(b) Harry Belafonte.
(c) Sammy Davis, Jr.
(d) Joe Adams.
2. What negative stereotype does the character Carmen Jones perpetuate?
(a) The stereotype of Negro women being the desire of white men's lust.
(b) The stereotype of rampant sexuality.
(c) The stereotype of light skinned Negroes being smarter than dark skinned Negroes.
(d) The stereotype of subservient Negro women.
3. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
(a) Aunt Jemima and Othello.
(b) Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom.
(c) Carmen Jones and Uncle Tom.
(d) Aunt Jemima and Carmen Jones.
4. Why was Uncle Tom's Cabin was written?
(a) To tell the true story of Uncle Tom.
(b) To prove slavery is wrong.
(c) To abolish slavery.
(d) To show the every day life of a slave.
5. What is dehumanization of the Negro inseparable from?
(a) The loss of Negroes to slavery.
(b) The loss of racial identity.
(c) The loss of African American identity.
(d) The loss of our own identity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set necessary for white audiences?
2. What are protest novels?
3. Why is the language and dialect in the film Carmen Jones considered an insult on black people?
4. What Hollywood studio produced the film Carmen Jones?
5. According to Baldwin, what has led to unforeseen paradoxical distress?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)