|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Carmen Jones: The Dark Is Light Enough.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who played the lead male role in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Harry Belafonte.
(b) Sidney Poitier.
(c) Sammy Davis, Jr.
(d) Joe Adams.
2. What stereotypical trait do the immoral and evil characters share in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Brown eyes.
(c) Coarse hair.
(d) Dark colored skin.
3. Which of the following is not a characteristic given to history by Baldwin?
(c) Remote Violence.
(d) Negative images in the media.
4. What does Baldwin regard as the most important thing about the film Carmen Jones?
(a) The impression it leaves about the realities of Negro life.
(b) The questions it leaves about the relationship between Whites and Negroes.
(c) The questions it leaves in the mind relate more to inferior life of Americans.
(d) The changes it suggests about the lives of Negroes.
5. Why does Baldwin assert that White people contribute to the perpetuation of the stereotypical characters such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom?
(a) Because Whites want to believe that Black people are unhappy with their lives.
(b) Because Whites want to believe the happy, subservient personas of Black people
(c) Because African Americans love to imitate these types of stereotypical characters.
(d) Because Whites like being entertained by the stereotypical figures of Black Americans.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Whites?
2. What is the setting of the opening of Native Son?
3. According to Baldwin, if black faces cannot be made white then what other way can they be changed in order to be less offensive to white society?
4. What novel does Baldwin compare Uncle Tom's Cabin to?
5. What stereotypical trait is shared by the female and male leads in the film Carmen Jones?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)