|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Carmen Jones: The Dark Is Light Enough.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the language and dialect in the film Carmen Jones considered an insult on black people?
(a) Because the characters speak like stereotypical Negroes.
(b) Because the characters speak like northern born Negroes.
(c) Because the characters speak like enslaved Africans.
(d) Because the characters speak like antebellum Negroes adopting the patterns language of their masters.
2. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
(a) Aunt Jemima and Carmen Jones.
(b) Aunt Jemima and Othello.
(c) Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom.
(d) Carmen Jones and Uncle Tom.
3. According to Baldwin, what color are the robes of the saved?
4. What novel does Baldwin compare Uncle Tom's Cabin to?
(a) Black Boy.
(b) Little Women.
(d) Native Son.
5. What stereotypical trait do the immoral and evil characters share in the film Carmen Jones?
(b) Brown eyes.
(c) Dark colored skin.
(d) Coarse hair.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although it is known that African Americans are not biologically or mentally inferior, what occurred during the World War II?
2. According to Baldwin, what color is associated with evil?
3. Which of the following is not a characteristic given to history by Baldwin?
4. According to Baldwin, who are the three most important characters in Uncle Tom's Cabin?
5. According to Baldwin, if black faces cannot be made white then what other way can they be changed in order to be less offensive to white society?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)