|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Carmen Jones: The Dark Is Light Enough.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the theme of Baldwin's Notes of a Native Son?
(c) Racial prejudice.
2. Why does Baldwin insist that the operatic songs performed by the cast in the film Carmen Jones have no connection to Negro life?
(a) The music pieces were sung in Italian and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(b) The music pieces were sung by white men and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(c) The music pieces were sung by white people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(d) The music pieces were sung by middle class black people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
3. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
(a) Aunt Jemima and Othello.
(b) Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom.
(c) Carmen Jones and Uncle Tom.
(d) Aunt Jemima and Carmen Jones.
4. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Blacks?
(a) Social Literature.
(b) Protest Literature.
(c) Problem Literature.
(d) Change Literature.
5. Why is the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set necessary for white audiences?
(a) The cleanliness makes white audiences want to watch more Negro movies.
(b) The cleanliness makes white audiences more comfortable with seeing Negroes in familiar situations.
(c) The cleanliness makes white audiences more comfortable with the role of the lead male Negro.
(d) The cleanliness makes white audiences view the black actors as equals.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin?
2. Although it is known that African Americans are not biologically or mentally inferior, what occurred during the World War II?
3. In what era did James Baldwin write Notes of a Native Son?
4. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
5. The story of Carmen Jones deals with what type of people?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)