|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Carmen Jones: The Dark Is Light Enough.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the story of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) The story of the original American settlers.
(b) The story of Native Americans.
(c) The story of Americans.
(d) The story of African Americans.
2. Why does Baldwin criticize the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set?
(a) Because it does not accurately portray the American ghetto.
(b) Because they do not accurately portray the environments of the working class Negroes characterized in the movie.
(c) Because they do not accurately portray the working-class.
(d) Because they do not show the intermingling of working class Negroes and Whites.
3. According to Baldwin, what has led to unforeseen paradoxical distress?
(a) Our passion for change.
(b) Our passion for knowledge.
(c) Our passion for categorization.
(d) Our passion for clarity.
4. Why does Baldwin assert that White people contribute to the perpetuation of the stereotypical characters such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom?
(a) Because Whites want to believe that Black people are unhappy with their lives.
(b) Because African Americans love to imitate these types of stereotypical characters.
(c) Because Whites like being entertained by the stereotypical figures of Black Americans.
(d) Because Whites want to believe the happy, subservient personas of Black people
5. How are the oppressed and oppressor described in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
(a) They are separated by common law.
(b) They are bound together within the same society.
(c) They are divided by society.
(d) They are both are oppressed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who played the lead role of Carmen in the film Carmen Jones?
2. What genre of film is the movie Carmen Jones?
3. What novel does Baldwin criticize as a more modern piece of shallow propaganda from the Negro experience?
4. Why does Baldwin insist that the operatic songs performed by the cast in the film Carmen Jones have no connection to Negro life?
5. Why is the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set necessary for white audiences?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)