|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Carmen Jones: The Dark Is Light Enough.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Baldwin, what characteristic does Dorothy Dandridge have that Pearl Bailey lacks?
2. What stereotypical trait do the immoral and evil characters share in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Coarse hair.
(c) Brown eyes.
(d) Dark colored skin.
3. According to Baldwin, if black faces cannot be made white then what other way can they be changed in order to be less offensive to white society?
4. What genre of film is the movie Carmen Jones?
(c) Drama .
5. Why does Baldwin assert that White people contribute to the perpetuation of the stereotypical characters such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom?
(a) Because African Americans love to imitate these types of stereotypical characters.
(b) Because Whites want to believe the happy, subservient personas of Black people
(c) Because Whites like being entertained by the stereotypical figures of Black Americans.
(d) Because Whites want to believe that Black people are unhappy with their lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Baldwin insist that the operatic songs performed by the cast in the film Carmen Jones have no connection to Negro life?
2. What novel does Baldwin criticize as a more modern piece of shallow propaganda from the Negro experience?
3. Which of the following is not a characteristic given to history by Baldwin?
4. What is the avowed aim of the American protest novel?
5. How is the Negro in America referred to in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)