|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Carmen Jones: The Dark Is Light Enough.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Baldwin, how does the book Native Son obliterate the good will of the people as a whole?
(a) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story that white men only like subservient black men and women.
(b) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story of hatred and the idea that Negroes can only become validated if they become more like white men.
(c) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story that stereotypical images share laudatory and heinous qualities with the best possible traits coming to the surface for white consumption.
(d) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story that Negroes are always angry at white men.
2. What Hollywood studio produced the film Carmen Jones?
(a) MGM Studios.
(b) Universal Studios.
(c) Twentieth Century Fox.
(d) Walt Disney Studios.
3. What does Baldwin suggest the presupposition of the two novels Kingsblood Royal and If He Hollers Let Him Go are in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) The Negro is a man without a homeland.
(b) Black is a terrible color with which to be born into the world.
(c) Black men are inferior to white men.
(d) Blacks need to make themselves less offensive.
4. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
(a) White people do not want to see an interracial cast.
(b) There are no white people to which the Negroes may be compared.
(c) The Negroes would see a movie with an all-Negro cast.
(d) The all-Negro cast is less intimidating.
5. Protest novels are said to resemble:
(a) Missionaries to Africa.
(b) Missionaries to India.
(c) Missionaries to South America.
(d) Missionaries to America.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, what color is associated with evil?
2. According to Baldwin, at what point does the making of an American begin?
3. Why does Baldwin criticize the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set?
4. The story of Carmen Jones deals with what type of people?
5. Who played the lead role of Carmen in the film Carmen Jones?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)