|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Carmen Jones: The Dark Is Light Enough.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what era did James Baldwin write Notes of a Native Son?
(b) Pre-civil rights era.
(c) Slavery era.
(d) Civil rights era.
2. What is the theme of Baldwin's Notes of a Native Son?
(c) Racial prejudice.
3. Who is the author of Native Son?
(a) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(b) Richard Wright.
(c) James Baldwin.
(d) Langston Hughes.
4. In what year was the all-Black production of Carmen Jones released?
5. According to Baldwin, what has led to unforeseen paradoxical distress?
(a) Our passion for categorization.
(b) Our passion for knowledge.
(c) Our passion for change.
(d) Our passion for clarity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Protest novels are said to resemble:
2. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Blacks?
3. How is the story of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
4. According to Baldwin, why has the face of the Negro changed over time?
5. How was the 1955 production of Carmen Jones different than previous productions?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)