|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Carmen Jones: The Dark Is Light Enough.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the language and dialect in the film Carmen Jones considered an insult on black people?
(a) Because the characters speak like stereotypical Negroes.
(b) Because the characters speak like enslaved Africans.
(c) Because the characters speak like antebellum Negroes adopting the patterns language of their masters.
(d) Because the characters speak like northern born Negroes.
2. How is the Negro in America referred to in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) A mass of darkness.
(b) A series of shadows.
(c) A series of mishaps.
(d) A gloomy mist.
3. Who is the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin?
(a) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(b) Richard Wright.
(c) James Baldwin.
(d) George S. Schuyler.
4. Baldwin believes that the novel Uncle Tom's Cabin should have been:
(a) A Novel.
(b) A Pamphlet.
(c) A Play.
(d) A Short Story.
5. Who played the lead male role in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Harry Belafonte.
(b) Joe Adams.
(c) Sidney Poitier.
(d) Sammy Davis, Jr.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, what color is associated with evil?
2. Which of the following is not a characteristic given to history by Baldwin?
3. According to Baldwin, what color are the robes of the saved?
4. According to Baldwin, what has led to unforeseen paradoxical distress?
5. Who played the villainous second male lead in Carmen Jones?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)