|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Carmen Jones: The Dark Is Light Enough.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
(a) Carmen Jones and Uncle Tom.
(b) Aunt Jemima and Othello.
(c) Aunt Jemima and Carmen Jones.
(d) Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom.
2. Why was Uncle Tom's Cabin was written?
(a) To tell the true story of Uncle Tom.
(b) To show the every day life of a slave.
(c) To abolish slavery.
(d) To prove slavery is wrong.
3. What are protest novels?
(a) Reality connecting nowhere with fantasy.
(b) Racism connecting nowhere to social policy.
(c) Fantasies connecting nowhere to reality.
(d) Socialism connecting nowhere to racism.
4. According to Baldwin, how does the book Native Son obliterate the good will of the people as a whole?
(a) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story that Negroes are always angry at white men.
(b) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story that stereotypical images share laudatory and heinous qualities with the best possible traits coming to the surface for white consumption.
(c) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story that white men only like subservient black men and women.
(d) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story of hatred and the idea that Negroes can only become validated if they become more like white men.
5. Why does Baldwin assert that White people contribute to the perpetuation of the stereotypical characters such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom?
(a) Because African Americans love to imitate these types of stereotypical characters.
(b) Because Whites like being entertained by the stereotypical figures of Black Americans.
(c) Because Whites want to believe the happy, subservient personas of Black people
(d) Because Whites want to believe that Black people are unhappy with their lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baldwin suggest the presupposition of the two novels Kingsblood Royal and If He Hollers Let Him Go are in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
2. The story of Carmen Jones deals with what type of people?
3. What negative stereotype does the character Carmen Jones perpetuate?
4. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Blacks?
5. According to Baldwin, what color are the robes of the saved?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)