|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Carmen Jones: The Dark Is Light Enough.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting of the opening of Native Son?
(a) A Chicago tenement.
(b) A YMCA in Atlanta, GA.
(c) A Harlem apartment.
(d) The projects of the Bronx, NY.
2. Why does Baldwin assert that White people contribute to the perpetuation of the stereotypical characters such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom?
(a) Because African Americans love to imitate these types of stereotypical characters.
(b) Because Whites like being entertained by the stereotypical figures of Black Americans.
(c) Because Whites want to believe the happy, subservient personas of Black people
(d) Because Whites want to believe that Black people are unhappy with their lives.
3. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Whites?
(a) Social Literature.
(b) Change Literature.
(c) Problem Literature.
(d) Protest Literature.
4. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
(a) The all-Negro cast is less intimidating.
(b) The Negroes would see a movie with an all-Negro cast.
(c) There are no white people to which the Negroes may be compared.
(d) White people do not want to see an interracial cast.
5. Why does Baldwin insist that the operatic songs performed by the cast in the film Carmen Jones have no connection to Negro life?
(a) The music pieces were sung by white men and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(b) The music pieces were sung by middle class black people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(c) The music pieces were sung by white people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(d) The music pieces were sung in Italian and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, why has the face of the Negro changed over time?
2. What does Baldwin suggest the presupposition of the two novels Kingsblood Royal and If He Hollers Let Him Go are in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
3. Although it is known that African Americans are not biologically or mentally inferior, what occurred during the World War II?
4. In what era did James Baldwin write Notes of a Native Son?
5. What point of view does Baldwin use in this essay?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)