|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Many Thousands Gone.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What novel does Baldwin compare Uncle Tom's Cabin to?
(a) Black Boy.
(b) Little Women.
(c) Native Son.
2. What is dehumanization of the Negro inseparable from?
(a) The loss of Negroes to slavery.
(b) The loss of African American identity.
(c) The loss of our own identity.
(d) The loss of racial identity.
3. Why does Baldwin criticize the book Native Son?
(a) The book dehumanizes Negro women and makes the Negro man superior to the Negro woman.
(b) The book describes the life of a Negro man as if he was a White man.
(c) The book negates the role of the black woman in society.
(d) The book negates the whole race and converts the Negro man's pride into anger.
4. In what era did James Baldwin write Notes of a Native Son?
(a) Slavery era.
(b) Pre-civil rights era.
(c) Civil rights era.
5. What is the theme of Baldwin's Notes of a Native Son?
(a) Racial prejudice.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although it is known that African Americans are not biologically or mentally inferior, what occurred during the World War II?
2. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Whites?
3. According to Baldwin, if black faces cannot be made white then what other way can they be changed in order to be less offensive to white society?
4. Which of the following is not a characteristic given to history by Baldwin?
5. According to Baldwin, what color is associated with evil?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)