|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Many Thousands Gone.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Protest novels are said to resemble:
(a) Missionaries to Africa.
(b) Missionaries to India.
(c) Missionaries to South America.
(d) Missionaries to America.
2. According to Baldwin, what color are the robes of the saved?
3. What is dehumanization of the Negro inseparable from?
(a) The loss of our own identity.
(b) The loss of Negroes to slavery.
(c) The loss of African American identity.
(d) The loss of racial identity.
4. What novel does Baldwin compare Uncle Tom's Cabin to?
(b) Little Women.
(c) Native Son.
(d) Black Boy.
5. How are the oppressed and oppressor described in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
(a) They are both are oppressed.
(b) They are bound together within the same society.
(c) They are divided by society.
(d) They are separated by common law.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the avowed aim of the American protest novel?
2. Baldwin believes that the novel Uncle Tom's Cabin should have been:
3. Who is the author of Native Son?
4. Who is the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin?
5. How does Baldwin describe a "new society" in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)