|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Many Thousands Gone.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are the oppressed and oppressor described in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
(a) They are bound together within the same society.
(b) They are both are oppressed.
(c) They are divided by society.
(d) They are separated by common law.
2. What novel does Baldwin compare Uncle Tom's Cabin to?
(a) Native Son.
(c) Black Boy.
(d) Little Women.
3. According to Baldwin, at what point does the making of an American begin?
(a) At the point that the person enters the country and adopts the venture of the adopted land.
(b) At the point where the individual rejects all other ties and history to other nations and receives their U.S. citizenship from the government.
(c) At the point where the individual reaches Ellis Island in New York.
(d) At the point where the individual rejects all other ties and history to other nations and adopts the venture of the adopted land.
4. According to Baldwin, how does the book Native Son obliterate the good will of the people as a whole?
(a) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story that white men only like subservient black men and women.
(b) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story that stereotypical images share laudatory and heinous qualities with the best possible traits coming to the surface for white consumption.
(c) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story of hatred and the idea that Negroes can only become validated if they become more like white men.
(d) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story that Negroes are always angry at white men.
5. What is the theme of Baldwin's Notes of a Native Son?
(a) Racial prejudice.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the story of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
2. Why was Uncle Tom's Cabin was written?
3. What is the setting of the opening of Native Son?
4. Who is the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin?
5. Why does Baldwin criticize the book Native Son?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)