|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Many Thousands Gone.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Baldwin, what color are the robes of the saved?
2. What is dehumanization of the Negro inseparable from?
(a) The loss of our own identity.
(b) The loss of African American identity.
(c) The loss of racial identity.
(d) The loss of Negroes to slavery.
3. According to Baldwin, what has led to unforeseen paradoxical distress?
(a) Our passion for knowledge.
(b) Our passion for categorization.
(c) Our passion for change.
(d) Our passion for clarity.
4. Who is the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin?
(a) Richard Wright.
(b) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(c) George S. Schuyler.
(d) James Baldwin.
5. How does Baldwin describe a "new society" in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
(a) One in which Negros resume their slave duties.
(b) One in which Negros and Whites work together.
(c) One in which inequalities will disappear and vengeance will be exacted.
(d) One in which inequalities change because of protests.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
2. What are protest novels?
3. What is the setting of the opening of Native Son?
4. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Blacks?
5. How is the Negro in America referred to in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)