|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Many Thousands Gone.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are the oppressed and oppressor described in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
(a) They are both are oppressed.
(b) They are divided by society.
(c) They are bound together within the same society.
(d) They are separated by common law.
2. How is the Negro in America referred to in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) A series of mishaps.
(b) A mass of darkness.
(c) A gloomy mist.
(d) A series of shadows.
3. What is the setting of the opening of Native Son?
(a) A Chicago tenement.
(b) A Harlem apartment.
(c) A YMCA in Atlanta, GA.
(d) The projects of the Bronx, NY.
4. What point of view does Baldwin use in this essay?
(a) Second person narrative.
(b) First person limited narrative.
(c) First person narrative.
(d) Third person narrative.
5. According to Baldwin, who are the three most important characters in Uncle Tom's Cabin?
(a) George, Miss Ophelia, and Uncle Tom.
(b) Uncle Tom, Miss Ophelia, and Eliza.
(c) George, St. Clair, and Uncle Tom.
(d) George, Eliza, and Uncle Tom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
2. Why was Uncle Tom's Cabin was written?
3. Who is the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin?
4. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Blacks?
5. What are protest novels?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)