|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Many Thousands Gone.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the story of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) The story of Americans.
(b) The story of Native Americans.
(c) The story of the original American settlers.
(d) The story of African Americans.
2. According to Baldwin, what color is associated with evil?
3. Why does Baldwin assert that White people contribute to the perpetuation of the stereotypical characters such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom?
(a) Because Whites like being entertained by the stereotypical figures of Black Americans.
(b) Because African Americans love to imitate these types of stereotypical characters.
(c) Because Whites want to believe that Black people are unhappy with their lives.
(d) Because Whites want to believe the happy, subservient personas of Black people
4. Which of the following is not a characteristic given to history by Baldwin?
(b) Negative images in the media.
(c) Remote Violence.
5. What are protest novels?
(a) Racism connecting nowhere to social policy.
(b) Reality connecting nowhere with fantasy.
(c) Socialism connecting nowhere to racism.
(d) Fantasies connecting nowhere to reality.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
2. In what era did James Baldwin write Notes of a Native Son?
3. According to Baldwin, who are the three most important characters in Uncle Tom's Cabin?
4. How is history and the progress of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
5. What novel does Baldwin criticize as a more modern piece of shallow propaganda from the Negro experience?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)