|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Many Thousands Gone.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has made some changes in the face of the Negro?
2. How is history and the progress of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
3. Why does Baldwin assert that White people contribute to the perpetuation of the stereotypical characters such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom?
(a) Because Whites like being entertained by the stereotypical figures of Black Americans.
(b) Because Whites want to believe that Black people are unhappy with their lives.
(c) Because African Americans love to imitate these types of stereotypical characters.
(d) Because Whites want to believe the happy, subservient personas of Black people
4. According to Baldwin, what has led to unforeseen paradoxical distress?
(a) Our passion for knowledge.
(b) Our passion for clarity.
(c) Our passion for categorization.
(d) Our passion for change.
5. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
(a) Carmen Jones and Uncle Tom.
(b) Aunt Jemima and Othello.
(c) Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom.
(d) Aunt Jemima and Carmen Jones.
Short Answer Questions
1. What novel does Baldwin criticize as a more modern piece of shallow propaganda from the Negro experience?
2. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Blacks?
3. How is the story of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
4. Which of the following is not a characteristic given to history by Baldwin?
5. What point of view does Baldwin use in this essay?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)