|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Many Thousands Gone.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Baldwin suggest the presupposition of the two novels Kingsblood Royal and If He Hollers Let Him Go are in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) The Negro is a man without a homeland.
(b) Black men are inferior to white men.
(c) Blacks need to make themselves less offensive.
(d) Black is a terrible color with which to be born into the world.
2. What is the theme of Baldwin's Notes of a Native Son?
(b) Racial prejudice.
3. Which of the following is not a characteristic given to history by Baldwin?
(a) Negative images in the media.
(b) Remote Violence.
4. What is the setting of the opening of Native Son?
(a) A YMCA in Atlanta, GA.
(b) A Chicago tenement.
(c) A Harlem apartment.
(d) The projects of the Bronx, NY.
5. What novel does Baldwin compare Uncle Tom's Cabin to?
(a) Black Boy.
(b) Native Son.
(d) Little Women.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, who are the three most important characters in Uncle Tom's Cabin?
2. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Whites?
3. According to Baldwin, what has led to unforeseen paradoxical distress?
4. Why does Baldwin assert that White people contribute to the perpetuation of the stereotypical characters such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom?
5. Who is the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)