|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Many Thousands Gone.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Blacks?
(a) Protest Literature.
(b) Social Literature.
(c) Change Literature.
(d) Problem Literature.
2. According to Baldwin, what color is associated with evil?
3. Which of the following is not a characteristic given to history by Baldwin?
(a) Remote Violence.
(b) Negative images in the media.
4. Who is the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin?
(a) James Baldwin.
(b) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(c) Richard Wright.
(d) George S. Schuyler.
5. According to Baldwin, if black faces cannot be made white then what other way can they be changed in order to be less offensive to white society?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Baldwin assert that White people contribute to the perpetuation of the stereotypical characters such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom?
2. According to Baldwin, what color are the robes of the saved?
3. How does Baldwin describe a "new society" in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
4. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Whites?
5. How is history and the progress of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)