|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Many Thousands Gone.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Whites?
(a) Protest Literature.
(b) Change Literature.
(c) Problem Literature.
(d) Social Literature.
2. According to Baldwin, why has the face of the Negro changed over time?
(a) Because of the white man's need for making Negroes as white as possible in order to interact with them.
(b) Because African Americans refuted the stereotypical images Aunt Jemima.
(c) Because of the white man's need for making Negroes cook and clean the white man's home.
(d) Because of the portrayal of Uncle Tom.
3. What does Baldwin suggest the presupposition of the two novels Kingsblood Royal and If He Hollers Let Him Go are in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) Blacks need to make themselves less offensive.
(b) Black is a terrible color with which to be born into the world.
(c) The Negro is a man without a homeland.
(d) Black men are inferior to white men.
4. How is the story of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) The story of the original American settlers.
(b) The story of African Americans.
(c) The story of Native Americans.
(d) The story of Americans.
5. Why was Uncle Tom's Cabin was written?
(a) To show the every day life of a slave.
(b) To prove slavery is wrong.
(c) To abolish slavery.
(d) To tell the true story of Uncle Tom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Baldwin believes that the novel Uncle Tom's Cabin should have been:
2. What novel does Baldwin compare Uncle Tom's Cabin to?
3. Who is the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin?
4. What is the setting of the opening of Native Son?
5. In what era did James Baldwin write Notes of a Native Son?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)