|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Many Thousands Gone.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What point of view does Baldwin use in this essay?
(a) First person narrative.
(b) First person limited narrative.
(c) Second person narrative.
(d) Third person narrative.
2. Although it is known that African Americans are not biologically or mentally inferior, what occurred during the World War II?
(a) The troops were evaluated.
(b) The troops were integrated.
(c) African Americans were not allowed to fight.
(d) The troops were segregated.
3. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
(a) Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom.
(b) Aunt Jemima and Othello.
(c) Aunt Jemima and Carmen Jones.
(d) Carmen Jones and Uncle Tom.
4. Which of the following is not a characteristic given to history by Baldwin?
(a) Remote Violence.
(c) Negative images in the media.
5. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Blacks?
(a) Social Literature.
(b) Problem Literature.
(c) Change Literature.
(d) Protest Literature.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the Negro in America referred to in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
2. What has made some changes in the face of the Negro?
3. What is dehumanization of the Negro inseparable from?
4. How is the story of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
5. How does Baldwin describe a "new society" in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)