|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Many Thousands Gone.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Whites?
(a) Problem Literature.
(b) Social Literature.
(c) Protest Literature.
(d) Change Literature.
2. What novel does Baldwin compare Uncle Tom's Cabin to?
(a) Little Women.
(c) Native Son.
(d) Black Boy.
3. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Blacks?
(a) Social Literature.
(b) Change Literature.
(c) Problem Literature.
(d) Protest Literature.
4. According to Baldwin, at what point does the making of an American begin?
(a) At the point where the individual reaches Ellis Island in New York.
(b) At the point where the individual rejects all other ties and history to other nations and receives their U.S. citizenship from the government.
(c) At the point where the individual rejects all other ties and history to other nations and adopts the venture of the adopted land.
(d) At the point that the person enters the country and adopts the venture of the adopted land.
5. How are the oppressed and oppressor described in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
(a) They are divided by society.
(b) They are bound together within the same society.
(c) They are separated by common law.
(d) They are both are oppressed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are protest novels?
2. According to Baldwin, who are the three most important characters in Uncle Tom's Cabin?
3. How is the Negro in America referred to in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
4. According to Baldwin, what color are the robes of the saved?
5. Although it is known that African Americans are not biologically or mentally inferior, what occurred during the World War II?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)