|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Many Thousands Gone.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What novel does Baldwin compare Uncle Tom's Cabin to?
(a) Little Women.
(b) Native Son.
(c) Black Boy.
2. What are protest novels?
(a) Socialism connecting nowhere to racism.
(b) Racism connecting nowhere to social policy.
(c) Reality connecting nowhere with fantasy.
(d) Fantasies connecting nowhere to reality.
3. Why was Uncle Tom's Cabin was written?
(a) To prove slavery is wrong.
(b) To show the every day life of a slave.
(c) To tell the true story of Uncle Tom.
(d) To abolish slavery.
4. In what era did James Baldwin write Notes of a Native Son?
(b) Civil rights era.
(c) Slavery era.
(d) Pre-civil rights era.
5. How are the oppressed and oppressor described in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
(a) They are divided by society.
(b) They are separated by common law.
(c) They are bound together within the same society.
(d) They are both are oppressed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the Negro in America referred to in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
2. What is the theme of Baldwin's Notes of a Native Son?
3. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
4. How is history and the progress of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
5. What novel does Baldwin criticize as a more modern piece of shallow propaganda from the Negro experience?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)