|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Many Thousands Gone.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are the oppressed and oppressor described in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
(a) They are both are oppressed.
(b) They are divided by society.
(c) They are separated by common law.
(d) They are bound together within the same society.
2. According to Baldwin, why has the face of the Negro changed over time?
(a) Because of the portrayal of Uncle Tom.
(b) Because African Americans refuted the stereotypical images Aunt Jemima.
(c) Because of the white man's need for making Negroes as white as possible in order to interact with them.
(d) Because of the white man's need for making Negroes cook and clean the white man's home.
3. Why was Uncle Tom's Cabin was written?
(a) To abolish slavery.
(b) To show the every day life of a slave.
(c) To tell the true story of Uncle Tom.
(d) To prove slavery is wrong.
4. What is the setting of the opening of Native Son?
(a) A Chicago tenement.
(b) A Harlem apartment.
(c) A YMCA in Atlanta, GA.
(d) The projects of the Bronx, NY.
5. Who is the author of Native Son?
(a) James Baldwin.
(b) Langston Hughes.
(c) Richard Wright.
(d) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although it is known that African Americans are not biologically or mentally inferior, what occurred during the World War II?
2. According to Baldwin, what color is associated with evil?
3. Baldwin believes that the novel Uncle Tom's Cabin should have been:
4. Why does Baldwin assert that White people contribute to the perpetuation of the stereotypical characters such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom?
5. According to Baldwin, how does the book Native Son obliterate the good will of the people as a whole?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)