|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Many Thousands Gone.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Baldwin criticize the book Native Son?
(a) The book negates the whole race and converts the Negro man's pride into anger.
(b) The book dehumanizes Negro women and makes the Negro man superior to the Negro woman.
(c) The book negates the role of the black woman in society.
(d) The book describes the life of a Negro man as if he was a White man.
2. What is the avowed aim of the American protest novel?
(a) To bring greater charity to the oppressed.
(b) To bring the ideals of socialism to the oppressed.
(c) To bring greater freedom to the oppressed.
(d) To bring Christianity to the oppressed.
3. How is the story of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) The story of Americans.
(b) The story of Native Americans.
(c) The story of the original American settlers.
(d) The story of African Americans.
4. What is the setting of the opening of Native Son?
(a) A YMCA in Atlanta, GA.
(b) A Chicago tenement.
(c) A Harlem apartment.
(d) The projects of the Bronx, NY.
5. Who is the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin?
(a) Richard Wright.
(b) George S. Schuyler.
(c) James Baldwin.
(d) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Blacks?
2. How is the Negro in America referred to in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
3. What has made some changes in the face of the Negro?
4. How is history and the progress of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
5. According to Baldwin, what color are the robes of the saved?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)