|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Many Thousands Gone.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Baldwin, what has led to unforeseen paradoxical distress?
(a) Our passion for clarity.
(b) Our passion for categorization.
(c) Our passion for change.
(d) Our passion for knowledge.
2. Why does Baldwin criticize the book Native Son?
(a) The book dehumanizes Negro women and makes the Negro man superior to the Negro woman.
(b) The book negates the whole race and converts the Negro man's pride into anger.
(c) The book negates the role of the black woman in society.
(d) The book describes the life of a Negro man as if he was a White man.
3. How is the Negro in America referred to in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) A series of mishaps.
(b) A mass of darkness.
(c) A gloomy mist.
(d) A series of shadows.
4. What novel does Baldwin criticize as a more modern piece of shallow propaganda from the Negro experience?
(a) Carmen Jones.
(b) Uncle Tom's Cabin.
(c) Native Son.
(d) Black No More.
5. What is the theme of Baldwin's Notes of a Native Son?
(c) Racial prejudice.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Whites?
2. Who is the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin?
3. What novel does Baldwin compare Uncle Tom's Cabin to?
4. What has made some changes in the face of the Negro?
5. What are protest novels?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)