|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Many Thousands Gone.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the avowed aim of the American protest novel?
(a) To bring greater charity to the oppressed.
(b) To bring the ideals of socialism to the oppressed.
(c) To bring Christianity to the oppressed.
(d) To bring greater freedom to the oppressed.
2. Why does Baldwin criticize the book Native Son?
(a) The book negates the whole race and converts the Negro man's pride into anger.
(b) The book negates the role of the black woman in society.
(c) The book describes the life of a Negro man as if he was a White man.
(d) The book dehumanizes Negro women and makes the Negro man superior to the Negro woman.
3. Why was Uncle Tom's Cabin was written?
(a) To prove slavery is wrong.
(b) To show the every day life of a slave.
(c) To abolish slavery.
(d) To tell the true story of Uncle Tom.
4. What does Baldwin suggest the presupposition of the two novels Kingsblood Royal and If He Hollers Let Him Go are in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) Black is a terrible color with which to be born into the world.
(b) Blacks need to make themselves less offensive.
(c) The Negro is a man without a homeland.
(d) Black men are inferior to white men.
5. How does Baldwin describe a "new society" in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
(a) One in which Negros and Whites work together.
(b) One in which inequalities will disappear and vengeance will be exacted.
(c) One in which Negros resume their slave duties.
(d) One in which inequalities change because of protests.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, at what point does the making of an American begin?
2. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Blacks?
3. Why does Baldwin assert that White people contribute to the perpetuation of the stereotypical characters such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom?
4. Although it is known that African Americans are not biologically or mentally inferior, what occurred during the World War II?
5. According to Baldwin, what has led to unforeseen paradoxical distress?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)