|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Many Thousands Gone.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Baldwin describe a "new society" in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
(a) One in which inequalities will disappear and vengeance will be exacted.
(b) One in which Negros and Whites work together.
(c) One in which inequalities change because of protests.
(d) One in which Negros resume their slave duties.
2. What does Baldwin suggest the presupposition of the two novels Kingsblood Royal and If He Hollers Let Him Go are in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) Black is a terrible color with which to be born into the world.
(b) The Negro is a man without a homeland.
(c) Black men are inferior to white men.
(d) Blacks need to make themselves less offensive.
3. Why was Uncle Tom's Cabin was written?
(a) To abolish slavery.
(b) To show the every day life of a slave.
(c) To prove slavery is wrong.
(d) To tell the true story of Uncle Tom.
4. According to Baldwin, at what point does the making of an American begin?
(a) At the point where the individual rejects all other ties and history to other nations and adopts the venture of the adopted land.
(b) At the point that the person enters the country and adopts the venture of the adopted land.
(c) At the point where the individual reaches Ellis Island in New York.
(d) At the point where the individual rejects all other ties and history to other nations and receives their U.S. citizenship from the government.
5. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
(a) Carmen Jones and Uncle Tom.
(b) Aunt Jemima and Othello.
(c) Aunt Jemima and Carmen Jones.
(d) Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, what color are the robes of the saved?
2. What is the theme of Baldwin's Notes of a Native Son?
3. How is the story of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
4. According to Baldwin, if black faces cannot be made white then what other way can they be changed in order to be less offensive to white society?
5. How are the oppressed and oppressor described in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)