Eight Week Quiz G
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Stranger in the Village.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Baldwin, who were the only people able to maintain a useful and unquestioned friendship with Negroes during the 1940s and 50s in Paris?
(a) The French.
(b) White Americans.
(c) Negro entertainers.
(d) Negro soliders.
2. What newspaper rivaled the Amsterdam Star-News in the 1940s?
(a) The People's Voice.
(b) The Pittsburgh Courier.
(c) The New York Times.
(d) The Afro-American.
3. What does Baldwin regard as the most important thing about the film Carmen Jones?
(a) The changes it suggests about the lives of Negroes.
(b) The questions it leaves in the mind relate more to inferior life of Americans.
(c) The impression it leaves about the realities of Negro life.
(d) The questions it leaves about the relationship between Whites and Negroes.
4. How does Baldwin describe a "new society" in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
(a) One in which inequalities will disappear and vengeance will be exacted.
(b) One in which inequalities change because of protests.
(c) One in which Negros and Whites work together.
(d) One in which Negros resume their slave duties.
5. In the chapter entitled A Question of Identity, what does Baldwin describe as a flimsy structure, beneath contempt, designed by and for all the other people?
Short Answer Questions
1. What action performed by the prison guards did Baldwin think demoralized him as a human being?
2. What did Baldwin drink before his father's funeral?
3. Of all Americans, who does Baldwin say Negroes distrust the most?
4. Where did the Melodeers room while in Atlanta?
5. What was the profession of Baldwin's father?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)