|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Harlem Ghetto.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Baldwin criticize the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set?
(a) Because they do not accurately portray the environments of the working class Negroes characterized in the movie.
(b) Because they do not accurately portray the working-class.
(c) Because they do not show the intermingling of working class Negroes and Whites.
(d) Because it does not accurately portray the American ghetto.
2. How is history and the progress of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
3. How is the Negro in America referred to in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) A mass of darkness.
(b) A series of shadows.
(c) A series of mishaps.
(d) A gloomy mist.
4. What novel does Baldwin criticize as a more modern piece of shallow propaganda from the Negro experience?
(a) Native Son.
(b) Carmen Jones.
(c) Black No More.
(d) Uncle Tom's Cabin.
5. What Hollywood studio produced the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Twentieth Century Fox.
(b) MGM Studios.
(c) Walt Disney Studios.
(d) Universal Studios.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Harlem located?
2. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
3. According to Baldwin, why has the face of the Negro changed over time?
4. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Whites?
5. What is the setting of the opening of Native Son?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)