Eight Week Quiz A
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Many Thousands Gone.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a characteristic given to history by Baldwin?
(a) Remote Violence.
(d) Negative images in the media.
2. What are protest novels?
(a) Fantasies connecting nowhere to reality.
(b) Racism connecting nowhere to social policy.
(c) Reality connecting nowhere with fantasy.
(d) Socialism connecting nowhere to racism.
3. Baldwin believes that the novel Uncle Tom's Cabin should have been:
(a) A Novel.
(b) A Short Story.
(c) A Play.
(d) A Pamphlet.
4. According to Baldwin, who are the three most important characters in Uncle Tom's Cabin?
(a) Uncle Tom, Miss Ophelia, and Eliza.
(b) George, Miss Ophelia, and Uncle Tom.
(c) George, St. Clair, and Uncle Tom.
(d) George, Eliza, and Uncle Tom.
5. What does Baldwin suggest the presupposition of the two novels Kingsblood Royal and If He Hollers Let Him Go are in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) The Negro is a man without a homeland.
(b) Black men are inferior to white men.
(c) Blacks need to make themselves less offensive.
(d) Black is a terrible color with which to be born into the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, how does the book Native Son obliterate the good will of the people as a whole?
2. How is the Negro in America referred to in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
3. According to Baldwin, what color are the robes of the saved?
4. How does Baldwin describe a "new society" in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
5. How are the oppressed and oppressor described in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)