|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Notes of a Native Son.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Baldwin insist that the operatic songs performed by the cast in the film Carmen Jones have no connection to Negro life?
(a) The music pieces were sung in Italian and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(b) The music pieces were sung by white people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(c) The music pieces were sung by middle class black people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(d) The music pieces were sung by white men and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
2. Where did the Melodeers ultimately end up rehearsing for their performances in Atlanta?
(b) A Negro motel.
(c) A private home.
3. What genre of film is the movie Carmen Jones?
(d) Drama .
4. How has Harlem changed since Baldwin's parents' lifetime?
(a) Not much.
(b) Not at all.
(c) A great deal.
(d) Somewhat in the Jewish occupied areas.
5. What two big name magazines, popular in the African American community in the 1940s, are mentioned in the chapter entitled The Harlem Ghetto?
(a) Ebony and Our World.
(b) Ebony and Essence.
(c) Essence and Jet.
(d) Ebony and Jet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the language and dialect in the film Carmen Jones considered an insult on black people?
2. Of all Americans, who does Baldwin say Negroes distrust the most?
3. In what year was the all-Black production of Carmen Jones released?
4. What is dehumanization of the Negro inseparable from?
5. How is the story of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)