|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Notes of a Native Son.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What biblical story does Baldwin say allows the Blacks to identify with Jews?
(a) God's Covenant with Abraham.
(b) Moses' deliverance from Egypt.
(c) God's creation of Adam.
(d) Jesus' crucifixion.
2. Where did Baldwin and his white friend from New York go on Baldwin's last night in New Jersey?
(a) To the movies and to have drinks.
(b) To the casino.
(c) Atlantic City, NJ.
(d) To downtown New York City.
3. Why does Baldwin insist that the operatic songs performed by the cast in the film Carmen Jones have no connection to Negro life?
(a) The music pieces were sung by middle class black people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(b) The music pieces were sung by white men and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(c) The music pieces were sung in Italian and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(d) The music pieces were sung by white people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
4. What does Baldwin regard as the most important thing about the film Carmen Jones?
(a) The impression it leaves about the realities of Negro life.
(b) The questions it leaves about the relationship between Whites and Negroes.
(c) The questions it leaves in the mind relate more to inferior life of Americans.
(d) The changes it suggests about the lives of Negroes.
5. What was the aim of the quartet groups like the Melodeers?
(a) To make a livelihood from music.
(b) To change Whites' views of Black music.
(c) To sing at churches.
(d) To travel to other parts of the country.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the language and dialect in the film Carmen Jones considered an insult on black people?
2. What does Baldwin say is the hatred symbol of Harlem?
3. Where did Baldwin go after his father's funeral to celebrate his birthday?
4. What stereotypical trait is shared by the female and male leads in the film Carmen Jones?
5. What is not one of the two legends of the "white Gentile" as described by Baldwin?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)