|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Notes of a Native Son.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What occurred a few hours after the funeral of Baldwin's father?
(a) A race riot.
(b) A Progressive Party rally.
(c) A black man was beat up by the police.
(d) Baldwin's brother passed away.
2. In what year was the all-Black production of Carmen Jones released?
3. What negative stereotype does the character Carmen Jones perpetuate?
(a) The stereotype of light skinned Negroes being smarter than dark skinned Negroes.
(b) The stereotype of rampant sexuality.
(c) The stereotype of Negro women being the desire of white men's lust.
(d) The stereotype of subservient Negro women.
4. What was the profession of Baldwin's father?
(d) Hotel Attendant.
5. Since Negroes have been in this country, Baldwin writes that their one devastating gain was:
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baldwin claim Jews and Negroes must use in order to be accepted in the 1940s and 1950s?
2. Why does Baldwin assert that White people contribute to the perpetuation of the stereotypical characters such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom?
3. Which of the following artists was mentioned in the Harlem Ghetto chapter as having a column in the People's Voice?
4. In what year did Baldwin's father die?
5. Which of the following is not a characteristic given to history by Baldwin?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)