|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Notes of a Native Son.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is not one of the two legends of the "white Gentile" as described by Baldwin?
(a) He treats the Negro like a slave.
(b) He has divided the Jews and Negroes.
(c) He has taught the Negro to be inferior.
(d) He has divided Negro men and women.
2. According to Baldwin, why has the face of the Negro changed over time?
(a) Because of the white man's need for making Negroes as white as possible in order to interact with them.
(b) Because African Americans refuted the stereotypical images Aunt Jemima.
(c) Because of the white man's need for making Negroes cook and clean the white man's home.
(d) Because of the portrayal of Uncle Tom.
3. In what year did Baldwin's father die?
4. What stereotypical trait do the immoral and evil characters share in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Coarse hair.
(b) Dark colored skin.
(d) Brown eyes.
5. Who were the only white people that visited Baldwin's childhood home?
(a) Welfare workers and bill collectors.
(b) Welfare workers and teachers.
(c) Welfare workers and police officers.
(d) Bill Collectors and police officers.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Baldwin's father born?
2. Whose records did Baldwin's father forbid his children to play?
3. Where did Baldwin and his white friend from New York go on Baldwin's last night in New Jersey?
4. What is the name of the first church that Baldwin can remember attending with his family as a child?
5. Why does Baldwin insist that the operatic songs performed by the cast in the film Carmen Jones have no connection to Negro life?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)