|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Notes of a Native Son.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two big name magazines, popular in the African American community in the 1940s, are mentioned in the chapter entitled The Harlem Ghetto?
(a) Essence and Jet.
(b) Ebony and Our World.
(c) Ebony and Essence.
(d) Ebony and Jet.
2. Where did the Melodeers room while in Atlanta?
(c) The homes of Progressive Party members.
(d) a Negro motel.
3. What color clothing did Baldwin say he did not have to wear to his father's funeral?
4. How is the story of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) The story of the original American settlers.
(b) The story of Americans.
(c) The story of Native Americans.
(d) The story of African Americans.
5. How does Baldwin say American life compares to life in other parts of the world in the 1940s?
(a) People in America are indifferent to what is going on in other parts of the world.
(b) Life in America moves slower.
(c) Life in America moves faster.
(d) Life in America moves at the same pace as other places in the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of accommodations were promised to the Melodeers prior to leaving for Atlanta?
2. According to Baldwin, at what point does the making of an American begin?
3. How does Baldwin describe the American Ideal?
4. What emotion of Baldwin's father does he describe as "never to be trusted"?
5. Whose records did Baldwin's father forbid his children to play?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)