|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Notes of a Native Son.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
(a) White people do not want to see an interracial cast.
(b) The all-Negro cast is less intimidating.
(c) There are no white people to which the Negroes may be compared.
(d) The Negroes would see a movie with an all-Negro cast.
2. What is the setting of the opening of Native Son?
(a) A Chicago tenement.
(b) The projects of the Bronx, NY.
(c) A YMCA in Atlanta, GA.
(d) A Harlem apartment.
3. How was the 1955 production of Carmen Jones different than previous productions?
(a) It had an all-white cast.
(b) It had an all-African cast.
(c) It had an all-Negro cast.
(d) It had an interracial cast.
4. How is the story of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) The story of the original American settlers.
(b) The story of African Americans.
(c) The story of Native Americans.
(d) The story of Americans.
5. According to Baldwin, both the Negro and the Jew are characterized as:
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Harlem located?
2. What stereotypical trait do the immoral and evil characters share in the film Carmen Jones?
3. According to Baldwin, at what point does the making of an American begin?
4. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
5. Who was the legal guardian and road manager of the Melodeers during their journey to Atlanta?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)