|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Notes of a Native Son.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Baldwin's father born?
(a) During slavery.
(b) It is unknown.
2. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
(a) The Negroes would see a movie with an all-Negro cast.
(b) White people do not want to see an interracial cast.
(c) The all-Negro cast is less intimidating.
(d) There are no white people to which the Negroes may be compared.
3. Why does Baldwin assert that White people contribute to the perpetuation of the stereotypical characters such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom?
(a) Because Whites want to believe that Black people are unhappy with their lives.
(b) Because Whites like being entertained by the stereotypical figures of Black Americans.
(c) Because Whites want to believe the happy, subservient personas of Black people
(d) Because African Americans love to imitate these types of stereotypical characters.
4. What stereotypical trait do the immoral and evil characters share in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Dark colored skin.
(b) Coarse hair.
(d) Brown eyes.
5. How is history and the progress of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, how does the book Native Son obliterate the good will of the people as a whole?
2. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Whites?
3. Who was the representative of the Progressive Party in Atlanta?
4. Who had the money to pay for the Melodeers' accommodations in Atlanta?
5. Who played the villainous second male lead in Carmen Jones?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)