|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Notes of a Native Son.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Baldwin say is the hatred symbol of Georgia?
(a) The Negro.
(b) The Mulatto.
(c) The Black man.
(d) The Jew.
2. What was the profession of Baldwin's father?
(c) Hotel Attendant.
3. Who were the only white people that visited Baldwin's childhood home?
(a) Bill Collectors and police officers.
(b) Welfare workers and bill collectors.
(c) Welfare workers and teachers.
(d) Welfare workers and police officers.
4. Who was the presidential candidate representing the Progressive Party at the time Baldwin wrote this essay?
(a) Paul Roberson.
(b) Henry Wallace.
(c) James Jordan.
(d) Clarence Warde.
5. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
(a) Aunt Jemima and Othello.
(b) Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom.
(c) Carmen Jones and Uncle Tom.
(d) Aunt Jemima and Carmen Jones.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of all Americans, who does Baldwin say Negroes distrust the most?
2. Why did Baldwin think the Negro vote was so easily bought and sold in the 1940s?
3. What was the name of the establishment where the Melodeers ate their meals while in Atlanta?
4. Where did Baldwin and his white friend from New York go on Baldwin's last night in New Jersey?
5. What is not one of the two legends of the "white Gentile" as described by Baldwin?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)