|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Notes of a Native Son.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What stereotypical trait do the immoral and evil characters share in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Dark colored skin.
(b) Brown eyes.
(d) Coarse hair.
2. What was the aim of the quartet groups like the Melodeers?
(a) To make a livelihood from music.
(b) To change Whites' views of Black music.
(c) To sing at churches.
(d) To travel to other parts of the country.
3. Whose records did Baldwin's father forbid his children to play?
(a) Louis Armstrong.
(b) The Melodeers.
(c) James Brown.
(d) The Golden Gate Quartet.
4. What does Baldwin regard as the most important thing about the film Carmen Jones?
(a) The changes it suggests about the lives of Negroes.
(b) The impression it leaves about the realities of Negro life.
(c) The questions it leaves about the relationship between Whites and Negroes.
(d) The questions it leaves in the mind relate more to inferior life of Americans.
5. According to Baldwin, both the Negro and the Jew are characterized as:
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Baldwin think the Negro vote was so easily bought and sold in the 1940s?
2. Where can the true raison d'être of the Negro press be found?
3. Who was the presidential candidate representing the Progressive Party at the time Baldwin wrote this essay?
4. Why does Baldwin insist that the operatic songs performed by the cast in the film Carmen Jones have no connection to Negro life?
5. What impeded the Progressive Party's progression in Harlem during the 1940s?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)