|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Notes of a Native Son.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
(a) The Negroes would see a movie with an all-Negro cast.
(b) The all-Negro cast is less intimidating.
(c) There are no white people to which the Negroes may be compared.
(d) White people do not want to see an interracial cast.
2. According to Baldwin, both the Negro and the Jew are characterized as:
3. Why does Baldwin criticize the book Native Son?
(a) The book negates the role of the black woman in society.
(b) The book describes the life of a Negro man as if he was a White man.
(c) The book dehumanizes Negro women and makes the Negro man superior to the Negro woman.
(d) The book negates the whole race and converts the Negro man's pride into anger.
4. Since Negroes have been in this country, Baldwin writes that their one devastating gain was:
5. What does Baldwin regard as the most important thing about the film Carmen Jones?
(a) The questions it leaves about the relationship between Whites and Negroes.
(b) The changes it suggests about the lives of Negroes.
(c) The questions it leaves in the mind relate more to inferior life of Americans.
(d) The impression it leaves about the realities of Negro life.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Baldwin criticize the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set?
2. What was the aim of the quartet groups like the Melodeers?
3. What did the parents of the Melodeers oppose prior to their departure for Atlanta?
4. What's the name of Baldwin's brother who relayed his experience with the Melodeers in Atlanta?
5. Where did Baldwin go after his father's funeral to celebrate his birthday?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)