|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Notes of a Native Son.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Baldwin say is the hatred symbol of Harlem?
(a) The Black man.
(b) The Mulatto.
(c) The Negro.
(d) The Jew.
2. Who played the villainous second male lead in Carmen Jones?
(a) Joe Adams.
(b) Sidney Poitier.
(c) Sammy Davis, Jr.
(d) Harry Belafonte.
3. What is not one of the two legends of the "white Gentile" as described by Baldwin?
(a) He has divided the Jews and Negroes.
(b) He has divided Negro men and women.
(c) He has taught the Negro to be inferior.
(d) He treats the Negro like a slave.
4. Who played the lead male role in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Sidney Poitier.
(b) Joe Adams.
(c) Harry Belafonte.
(d) Sammy Davis, Jr.
5. Since Negroes have been in this country, Baldwin writes that their one devastating gain was:
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the story of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
2. Which of the following is not a characteristic given to history by Baldwin?
3. When was Baldwin's father born?
4. Why is the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set necessary for white audiences?
5. What does Baldwin say it means for the Negro to be religious?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)