|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Notes of a Native Son.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the establishment where the Melodeers ate their meals while in Atlanta?
(a) Red's Diner.
(b) Hunter Street Café.
(c) Fraziers' Diner.
(d) Fraziers' Café.
2. What does Baldwin claim Jews and Negroes must use in order to be accepted in the 1940s and 1950s?
(a) Knowledge of American society.
(b) American History.
(c) Every weapon possible.
3. Who played the villainous second male lead in Carmen Jones?
(a) Sidney Poitier.
(b) Joe Adams.
(c) Harry Belafonte.
(d) Sammy Davis, Jr.
4. What did the parents of the Melodeers oppose prior to their departure for Atlanta?
(a) An extra tour.
(b) The trip to Atlanta.
(c) Only one chaperone for the group.
(d) Mr. Wades as the group's manager and guardian .
5. How has Harlem changed since Baldwin's parents' lifetime?
(a) Not much.
(b) Not at all.
(c) Somewhat in the Jewish occupied areas.
(d) A great deal.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Baldwin say American life compares to life in other parts of the world in the 1940s?
2. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
3. Who played the lead role of Carmen in the film Carmen Jones?
4. Why is the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set necessary for white audiences?
5. Who was the representative of the Progressive Party in Atlanta?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)