|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Notes of a Native Son.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the first church that Baldwin can remember attending with his family as a child?
(a) 138th Street Baptist Church.
(b) First Baptist Church.
(c) Harlem United Church.
(d) Abyssinia Baptist Church.
2. Why does Baldwin criticize the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set?
(a) Because it does not accurately portray the American ghetto.
(b) Because they do not show the intermingling of working class Negroes and Whites.
(c) Because they do not accurately portray the environments of the working class Negroes characterized in the movie.
(d) Because they do not accurately portray the working-class.
3. What negative stereotype does the character Carmen Jones perpetuate?
(a) The stereotype of subservient Negro women.
(b) The stereotype of rampant sexuality.
(c) The stereotype of Negro women being the desire of white men's lust.
(d) The stereotype of light skinned Negroes being smarter than dark skinned Negroes.
4. In what year was the all-Black production of Carmen Jones released?
5. What's the name of Baldwin's brother who relayed his experience with the Melodeers in Atlanta?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who played the lead role of Carmen in the film Carmen Jones?
2. Who traveled with Baldwin to visit his dying father on Long Island?
3. What impeded the Progressive Party's progression in Harlem during the 1940s?
4. What is dehumanization of the Negro inseparable from?
5. What emotion of Baldwin's father does he describe as "never to be trusted"?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)