|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Notes of a Native Son.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Baldwin insist that the operatic songs performed by the cast in the film Carmen Jones have no connection to Negro life?
(a) The music pieces were sung in Italian and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(b) The music pieces were sung by white men and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(c) The music pieces were sung by white people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(d) The music pieces were sung by middle class black people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
2. How long had Baldwin been gone from home when his father passed away?
(a) Less than a year.
(b) A little over a year.
(c) More than 2 years.
(d) One year.
3. What does Baldwin say is the hatred symbol of Georgia?
(a) The Black man.
(b) The Jew.
(c) The Mulatto.
(d) The Negro.
4. What emotion of Baldwin's father does he describe as "never to be trusted"?
(a) His father's sadness.
(b) His father's temper.
(c) His father's love.
(d) His father's kindness.
5. Who was the presidential candidate representing the Progressive Party at the time Baldwin wrote this essay?
(a) Clarence Warde.
(b) Paul Roberson.
(c) Henry Wallace.
(d) James Jordan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Baldwin and his white friend from New York go on Baldwin's last night in New Jersey?
2. Where did Baldwin go after his father's funeral to celebrate his birthday?
3. Where was Baldwin's father born?
4. Why is the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set necessary for white audiences?
5. Where is Atlanta located?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)