|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Notes of a Native Son.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set necessary for white audiences?
(a) The cleanliness makes white audiences more comfortable with seeing Negroes in familiar situations.
(b) The cleanliness makes white audiences view the black actors as equals.
(c) The cleanliness makes white audiences more comfortable with the role of the lead male Negro.
(d) The cleanliness makes white audiences want to watch more Negro movies.
2. Who were the only white people that visited Baldwin's childhood home?
(a) Bill Collectors and police officers.
(b) Welfare workers and bill collectors.
(c) Welfare workers and police officers.
(d) Welfare workers and teachers.
3. What does Baldwin regard as the most important thing about the film Carmen Jones?
(a) The questions it leaves in the mind relate more to inferior life of Americans.
(b) The questions it leaves about the relationship between Whites and Negroes.
(c) The impression it leaves about the realities of Negro life.
(d) The changes it suggests about the lives of Negroes.
4. What technique did Baldwin say he used in arguments with his father?
(a) Combative behavior.
(b) Name calling.
5. What was the political affiliation of the Amsterdam Star-News?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Baldwin's father born?
2. What emotion of Baldwin's father does he describe as "never to be trusted"?
3. What occurred a few hours after the funeral of Baldwin's father?
4. According to Baldwin, what characteristic does Dorothy Dandridge have that Pearl Bailey lacks?
5. What is dehumanization of the Negro inseparable from?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)