|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Notes of a Native Son.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What newspaper rivaled the Amsterdam Star-News in the 1940s?
(a) The New York Times.
(b) The Pittsburgh Courier.
(c) The People's Voice.
(d) The Afro-American.
2. The story of Carmen Jones deals with what type of people?
3. What impeded the Progressive Party's progression in Harlem during the 1940s?
(a) The campaign promises were too common.
(b) The campaign promises were geared towards African Americans.
(c) The campaign promises were too extravagant.
(d) The campaign promises were geared towards Whites.
4. What is not one of the two legends of the "white Gentile" as described by Baldwin?
(a) He has divided Negro men and women.
(b) He treats the Negro like a slave.
(c) He has taught the Negro to be inferior.
(d) He has divided the Jews and Negroes.
5. According to Baldwin, what characteristic does Dorothy Dandridge have that Pearl Bailey lacks?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Baldwin insist that the operatic songs performed by the cast in the film Carmen Jones have no connection to Negro life?
2. What did the parents of the Melodeers oppose prior to their departure for Atlanta?
3. Where did the Melodeers room while in Atlanta?
4. What emotion of Baldwin's father does he describe as "never to be trusted"?
5. What color clothing did Baldwin say he did not have to wear to his father's funeral?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)