|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Notes of a Native Son.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Baldwin think the Negro vote was so easily bought and sold in the 1940s?
(a) Because Whites has a great influence in Black politics.
(b) Because Blacks were in need of money.
(c) Because it was treated with little respect.
(d) Because Blacks did care about politics.
2. Why is the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set necessary for white audiences?
(a) The cleanliness makes white audiences want to watch more Negro movies.
(b) The cleanliness makes white audiences view the black actors as equals.
(c) The cleanliness makes white audiences more comfortable with seeing Negroes in familiar situations.
(d) The cleanliness makes white audiences more comfortable with the role of the lead male Negro.
3. What stereotypical trait is shared by the female and male leads in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Light colored skin.
(b) Fine hair.
(c) Dark colored skin.
(d) Blue eyes.
4. Although it is known that African Americans are not biologically or mentally inferior, what occurred during the World War II?
(a) The troops were evaluated.
(b) African Americans were not allowed to fight.
(c) The troops were integrated.
(d) The troops were segregated.
5. Where did the Melodeers room while in Atlanta?
(a) a Negro motel.
(c) The homes of Progressive Party members.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had Baldwin been gone from home when his father passed away?
2. What is not one of the two legends of the "white Gentile" as described by Baldwin?
3. How has Harlem changed since Baldwin's parents' lifetime?
4. Where can the true raison d'être of the Negro press be found?
5. Where is Harlem located?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)