|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Question of Identity.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Baldwin, which students are successfully entrenched in Parisian lifestyle?
(a) Those that take time to study the culture and People of Paris.
(b) Those that use their GI funding to study at Parisian university.
(c) Those that marry French women.
(d) Those that know American history.
2. What issue is the American constantly confronted with in Paris?
3. Why does Baldwin insist that the operatic songs performed by the cast in the film Carmen Jones have no connection to Negro life?
(a) The music pieces were sung in Italian and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(b) The music pieces were sung by middle class black people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(c) The music pieces were sung by white people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(d) The music pieces were sung by white men and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
4. What does Baldwin regard as the most important thing about the film Carmen Jones?
(a) The questions it leaves about the relationship between Whites and Negroes.
(b) The changes it suggests about the lives of Negroes.
(c) The impression it leaves about the realities of Negro life.
(d) The questions it leaves in the mind relate more to inferior life of Americans.
5. According to Baldwin, what characteristic does Dorothy Dandridge have that Pearl Bailey lacks?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Baldwin think the Negro vote was so easily bought and sold in the 1940s?
2. Who played the villainous second male lead in Carmen Jones?
3. Who was the legal guardian and road manager of the Melodeers during their journey to Atlanta?
4. In what year was the all-Black production of Carmen Jones released?
5. What genre of film is the movie Carmen Jones?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)