|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Question of Identity.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Baldwin give for not believing that ex-GIs traveled to Paris to study?
(a) Because ex-GIs rarely attended their courses.
(b) Because ex-GIs did not like in the student colony.
(c) Because ex-GIs went to Paris for the culture.
(d) Because the ex-GIs could study the same things in the United States.
2. Who was the presidential candidate representing the Progressive Party at the time Baldwin wrote this essay?
(a) Henry Wallace.
(b) Clarence Warde.
(c) Paul Roberson.
(d) James Jordan.
3. Why is the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set necessary for white audiences?
(a) The cleanliness makes white audiences more comfortable with seeing Negroes in familiar situations.
(b) The cleanliness makes white audiences view the black actors as equals.
(c) The cleanliness makes white audiences want to watch more Negro movies.
(d) The cleanliness makes white audiences more comfortable with the role of the lead male Negro.
4. What did Baldwin claim that the soldiers who studied in Paris had in common with the rest of the soliders that fought in the war?
(a) They both were Black.
(b) They both studied French culture.
(c) They both spoke French.
(d) They both wore uniforms.
5. Why does Baldwin insist that the operatic songs performed by the cast in the film Carmen Jones have no connection to Negro life?
(a) The music pieces were sung by white men and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(b) The music pieces were sung by white people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(c) The music pieces were sung in Italian and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(d) The music pieces were sung by middle class black people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
2. What stereotypical trait is shared by the female and male leads in the film Carmen Jones?
3. In the chapter entitled A Question of Identity, what does Baldwin describe as a flimsy structure, beneath contempt, designed by and for all the other people?
4. Why is the language and dialect in the film Carmen Jones considered an insult on black people?
5. Why does Baldwin escape to Paris?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)