|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Question of Identity.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Baldwin, what is afforded to American students in Paris?
2. According to Baldwin, what characteristic does Dorothy Dandridge have that Pearl Bailey lacks?
3. What does Baldwin say must sustain the American Negro in the present?
(a) The African past that is disregarded in Europe.
(b) The European present.
(c) The European future.
(d) The American past that is disregarded in Europe.
4. Why is the language and dialect in the film Carmen Jones considered an insult on black people?
(a) Because the characters speak like stereotypical Negroes.
(b) Because the characters speak like enslaved Africans.
(c) Because the characters speak like northern born Negroes.
(d) Because the characters speak like antebellum Negroes adopting the patterns language of their masters.
5. What war is discussed in the chapter entitled A Question of Identity?
(a) Civil War.
(b) World War II.
(c) Vietnam War.
(d) World War I.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baldwin regard as the most important thing about the film Carmen Jones?
2. What stereotypical trait is shared by the female and male leads in the film Carmen Jones?
3. According to Baldwin, what was the legend of Paris?
4. In the chapter, A Question of Identity, how does Baldwin learn about his struggle for identity in the world?
5. What did Baldwin claim that the soldiers who studied in Paris had in common with the rest of the soliders that fought in the war?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)