|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Question of Identity.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Baldwin give for not believing that ex-GIs traveled to Paris to study?
(a) Because the ex-GIs could study the same things in the United States.
(b) Because ex-GIs did not like in the student colony.
(c) Because ex-GIs rarely attended their courses.
(d) Because ex-GIs went to Paris for the culture.
2. What does Baldwin regard as the most important thing about the film Carmen Jones?
(a) The questions it leaves about the relationship between Whites and Negroes.
(b) The changes it suggests about the lives of Negroes.
(c) The questions it leaves in the mind relate more to inferior life of Americans.
(d) The impression it leaves about the realities of Negro life.
3. In the chapter entitled A Question of Identity, what does Baldwin describe as a flimsy structure, beneath contempt, designed by and for all the other people?
4. According to Baldwin, what was the legend of Paris?
(a) One of equality.
(b) One of bureaucracy.
(c) One of freedom.
(d) One of democracy.
5. Who had the money to pay for the Melodeers' accommodations in Atlanta?
(a) Henry Wallace.
(b) Clarance Warde.
(c) Louis Burner.
(d) Mrs. Brandon Price.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Hollywood studio produced the film Carmen Jones?
2. What phenomenon does Baldwin address in the essay entitled, A Question of Identity?
3. According to Baldwin, which students are successfully entrenched in Parisian lifestyle?
4. What difference does Baldwin suggest exists between soldiers that studied in Paris and those that did not?
5. Why is the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set necessary for white audiences?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)