|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Question of Identity.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who played the villainous second male lead in Carmen Jones?
(a) Sammy Davis, Jr.
(b) Sidney Poitier.
(c) Harry Belafonte.
(d) Joe Adams.
2. What does Baldwin regard as the most important thing about the film Carmen Jones?
(a) The changes it suggests about the lives of Negroes.
(b) The questions it leaves in the mind relate more to inferior life of Americans.
(c) The impression it leaves about the realities of Negro life.
(d) The questions it leaves about the relationship between Whites and Negroes.
3. According to Baldwin, what was the legend of Paris?
(a) One of equality.
(b) One of freedom.
(c) One of democracy.
(d) One of bureaucracy.
4. In the chapter entitled A Question of Identity, what does Baldwin describe as a flimsy structure, beneath contempt, designed by and for all the other people?
5. What stereotypical trait is shared by the female and male leads in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Light colored skin.
(b) Fine hair.
(c) Dark colored skin.
(d) Blue eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Baldwin insist that the operatic songs performed by the cast in the film Carmen Jones have no connection to Negro life?
2. Why is the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set necessary for white audiences?
3. What term does Baldwin use to describe the lives of American student in Paris in the 1950s?
4. What stereotypical trait do the immoral and evil characters share in the film Carmen Jones?
5. What Hollywood studio produced the film Carmen Jones?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)