|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Question of Identity.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What phenomenon does Baldwin address in the essay entitled, A Question of Identity?
(a) Americans who chose to remain in Paris after the war.
(b) African Americans who leave America to write about race in America.
(c) Americans who fought in the war.
(d) Americans who chose to remain in America after the war.
2. According to Baldwin, which students are successfully entrenched in Parisian lifestyle?
(a) Those that know American history.
(b) Those that take time to study the culture and People of Paris.
(c) Those that marry French women.
(d) Those that use their GI funding to study at Parisian university.
3. Who was the representative of the Progressive Party in Atlanta?
(a) Mrs. Dorothy Dandridge.
(b) Mrs. Branson Price.
(c) Mr. Henry Wallace.
(d) Mrs. Frank Johnson.
4. Who played the lead male role in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Sidney Poitier.
(b) Harry Belafonte.
(c) Sammy Davis, Jr.
(d) Joe Adams.
5. According to Baldwin, what discovery brings an end to the alienation of the American student in Paris?
(a) Discovering European culture.
(b) Discovering America from the vantage point of Europe.
(c) Discovering American culture.
(d) Discovering America from the vantage point of the French African.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was the 1955 production of Carmen Jones different than previous productions?
2. What reason does Baldwin give for not believing that ex-GIs traveled to Paris to study?
3. In the chapter entitled A Question of Identity, what does Baldwin describe as a flimsy structure, beneath contempt, designed by and for all the other people?
4. Why does Baldwin insist that the operatic songs performed by the cast in the film Carmen Jones have no connection to Negro life?
5. According to Baldwin, what was the legend of Paris?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)