|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Question of Identity.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who had the money to pay for the Melodeers' accommodations in Atlanta?
(a) Henry Wallace.
(b) Louis Burner.
(c) Clarance Warde.
(d) Mrs. Brandon Price.
2. Why is the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set necessary for white audiences?
(a) The cleanliness makes white audiences more comfortable with the role of the lead male Negro.
(b) The cleanliness makes white audiences view the black actors as equals.
(c) The cleanliness makes white audiences more comfortable with seeing Negroes in familiar situations.
(d) The cleanliness makes white audiences want to watch more Negro movies.
3. According to Baldwin, which students are successfully entrenched in Parisian lifestyle?
(a) Those that know American history.
(b) Those that use their GI funding to study at Parisian university.
(c) Those that marry French women.
(d) Those that take time to study the culture and People of Paris.
4. What does Baldwin regard as the most important thing about the film Carmen Jones?
(a) The impression it leaves about the realities of Negro life.
(b) The questions it leaves about the relationship between Whites and Negroes.
(c) The questions it leaves in the mind relate more to inferior life of Americans.
(d) The changes it suggests about the lives of Negroes.
5. What reason does Baldwin give for not believing that ex-GIs traveled to Paris to study?
(a) Because ex-GIs rarely attended their courses.
(b) Because the ex-GIs could study the same things in the United States.
(c) Because ex-GIs went to Paris for the culture.
(d) Because ex-GIs did not like in the student colony.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who played the lead role of Carmen in the film Carmen Jones?
2. Since Negroes have been in this country, Baldwin writes that their one devastating gain was:
3. What does Baldwin say must sustain the American Negro in the present?
4. According to Baldwin, what is afforded to American students in Paris?
5. Who was the representative of the Progressive Party in Atlanta?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)