|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Question of Identity.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Baldwin say must sustain the American Negro in the present?
(a) The American past that is disregarded in Europe.
(b) The African past that is disregarded in Europe.
(c) The European present.
(d) The European future.
2. What difference does Baldwin suggest exists between soldiers that studied in Paris and those that did not?
(a) Many that did not study in Paris died in battle.
(b) Many that studied there return to America.
(c) Many that studied there saw active duty
(d) Many that studied there did not see active duty.
3. According to Baldwin, what characteristic does Dorothy Dandridge have that Pearl Bailey lacks?
4. Where did the Melodeers room while in Atlanta?
(a) The homes of Progressive Party members.
(d) a Negro motel.
5. Why is the language and dialect in the film Carmen Jones considered an insult on black people?
(a) Because the characters speak like antebellum Negroes adopting the patterns language of their masters.
(b) Because the characters speak like enslaved Africans.
(c) Because the characters speak like northern born Negroes.
(d) Because the characters speak like stereotypical Negroes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who played the lead role of Carmen in the film Carmen Jones?
2. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
3. Why did Baldwin think the Negro vote was so easily bought and sold in the 1940s?
4. What impeded the Progressive Party's progression in Harlem during the 1940s?
5. Who was the representative of the Progressive Party in Atlanta?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)