|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Question of Identity.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the Melodeers room while in Atlanta?
(a) a Negro motel.
(d) The homes of Progressive Party members.
2. According to Baldwin, what was the legend of Paris?
(a) One of freedom.
(b) One of bureaucracy.
(c) One of equality.
(d) One of democracy.
3. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
(a) White people do not want to see an interracial cast.
(b) There are no white people to which the Negroes may be compared.
(c) The Negroes would see a movie with an all-Negro cast.
(d) The all-Negro cast is less intimidating.
4. What stereotypical trait do the immoral and evil characters share in the film Carmen Jones?
(b) Brown eyes.
(c) Coarse hair.
(d) Dark colored skin.
5. What reason does Baldwin give for not believing that ex-GIs traveled to Paris to study?
(a) Because ex-GIs did not like in the student colony.
(b) Because the ex-GIs could study the same things in the United States.
(c) Because ex-GIs went to Paris for the culture.
(d) Because ex-GIs rarely attended their courses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What impeded the Progressive Party's progression in Harlem during the 1940s?
2. What Hollywood studio produced the film Carmen Jones?
3. Why does Baldwin escape to Paris?
4. What war is discussed in the chapter entitled A Question of Identity?
5. What stereotypical trait is shared by the female and male leads in the film Carmen Jones?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)