|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which of the following towns does section thirty take place?
2. During section twenty-one, Bukowski says that his writing was featured in a portfolio with work from all BUT WHICH of the following authors?
3. In section forty, Hank learns that Felica is what relation to Yevonna?
4. What is the name of Henry's neighbor who keeps birds in section twenty-two?
5. When Bukowski finds the woman with car trouble and takes her back to his place, what does she say her husband's name is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bukowski's relationship with Renie in section thirty-seven.
2. In section twenty-four, describe the relationship between Bukowski and his wife.
3. Describe Bukowski's housing situation in section twenty-three.
4. What is the letter Bukowski relates in section twenty-six?
5. Describe Lou's plan to strike it rich in section thirty-three.
6. What happens in section twenty-nine when Mary brings Eddie and the Duchess to Bukowski's place?
7. What revelation is given about Bukowski and Henry at the end of section twenty-two?
8. What is Yevonna like physically before her marriage to Hank, and how does that change after the marriage in section forty?
9. How does the landlady in section twenty-eight respond to the broken bed?
10. What is the relationship between the two speakers in section twenty, and what evidence suggests it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Bukowski see his place in the world? Pick three of his major personality traits and discuss the ways in which those three things shape his life. Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Is Bukowski simply unlucky with women, or is he purposely unlucky? Develop a thesis arguing whether his repeated relationship failures are pure mishap or if he plans them that way. Include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
How does Bukowski feel about other members of his profession, and what personal qualities lead him to those opinions? Pick three of Bukowski's personal life tenets and discuss the ways in which other writers disappoint him in those areas. Include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)