|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which of the following cities does section twenty-one take place?
2. What is the woman's name in section twenty-eight?
3. What is the name of the Colonel in section thirty-nine who runs the ROTC program?
4. What item of clothing does the woman take when she leaves Bukowski's place in section nineteen?
5. In section forty, Hank learns that Felica is what relation to Yevonna?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conflict between Elsie and the cabbie in section thirty-one.
2. Describe what happens when Bukowski picks up the young prostitute and her lesbian manager in section twenty-five.
3. Why does the superior officer in section thirty-six finally order Stirkoff to be taken to the torture chamber?
4. What goes wrong with the plan to strike it rich in section thirty-three?
5. Describe Bukowski's housing situation in section twenty-three.
6. Describe how Hank finally gets rid of William in section twenty-seven.
7. Describe how Bukowski earns $50 in section thirty-four.
8. What happens in section thirty-eight when Bukowski goes home drunk?
9. Describe how Bukowski meets the woman who ends up at his place in section nineteen.
10. How does the landlady in section twenty-eight respond to the broken bed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Bukowski see his place in the world? Pick three of his major personality traits and discuss the ways in which those three things shape his life. Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What is Bukowski's true opinion of women? Pick three of the women from the book with whom he interacts and build a thesis based on his treatment of those three women. Include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the wealthy man, Maxfield, and Stirkoff in sections 34, 35, and 36. How are these three men similar? What are they looking for in life? Use information from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)