|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Yevonna says in section forty that she loves which of the following that many people dislike?
2. In section thirty-two, Bukowski says that there aren't any ________ in foxholes.
3. In section nineteen, the kids say that on the previous weekend Bukowski was dancing with what household item?
4. Toward the end of section twenty-four, to which state does Bukowski's ex-wife move?
5. What is the name of the man sharing Bukowski's apartment with whom he has the unintended sexual encounter in section twenty-seven?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conflict between Elsie and the cabbie in section thirty-one.
2. Describe how Hank finally gets rid of William in section twenty-seven.
3. How does the landlady in section twenty-eight respond to the broken bed?
4. What is Yevonna like physically before her marriage to Hank, and how does that change after the marriage in section forty?
5. Describe what happens when Bukowski picks up the young prostitute and her lesbian manager in section twenty-five.
6. Why does the superior officer in section thirty-six finally order Stirkoff to be taken to the torture chamber?
7. In section twenty-four, describe the relationship between Bukowski and his wife.
8. What revelation is given about Bukowski and Henry at the end of section twenty-two?
9. What happens in section thirty-eight when Bukowski goes home drunk?
10. What goes wrong with the plan to strike it rich in section thirty-three?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Bukowski's time at the Olympic with his time at the race track. What lessons does he learn from each place? Include supporting information from the appropriate sections.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Bukowski's view of homosexuality with that of his friend Kerouac. Be sure to include quotes and supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What is Bukowski's true opinion of women? Pick three of the women from the book with whom he interacts and build a thesis based on his treatment of those three women. Include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)