|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which of the following towns does section thirty take place?
2. When Bukowski leaves the party in section nineteen and decides not to drive, how many blocks does he say he has to walk?
3. What is the woman's name in section twenty-eight?
4. What is the name of Bukowski's ex-girlfriend in section twenty-nine?
5. Who wrote the letter in section twenty-six?
Short Essay Questions
1. What revelation is given about Bukowski and Henry at the end of section twenty-two?
2. Describe Lou's plan to strike it rich in section thirty-three.
3. Describe what happened to Felica after she and Hank ran away from Yevonna in section forty.
4. Describe Bukowski's relationship with Renie in section thirty-seven.
5. What happens in section thirty-eight when Bukowski goes home drunk?
6. Describe what happens when Bukowski picks up the young prostitute and her lesbian manager in section twenty-five.
7. Describe the conflict between Elsie and the cabbie in section thirty-one.
8. Describe how Hank finally gets rid of William in section twenty-seven.
9. How does the landlady in section twenty-eight respond to the broken bed?
10. In section twenty-four, describe the relationship between Bukowski and his wife.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Bukowski a Republican or a Democrat? Based on his stated political views, decide which party he most easily fits and write a persuasive essay categorizing him that way. Be sure to use quotes and other supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Overall, is Bukowski an optimist or a pessimist? Choose three situational examples from the text and decide whether he responds to each with the glass half-full or half-empty.
Essay Topic 3
How does Bukowski see his place in the world? Pick three of his major personality traits and discuss the ways in which those three things shape his life. Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)