|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the scrub woman Bukowski mentions in section twenty-seven?
2. What is the name of the man sharing Bukowski's apartment with whom he has the unintended sexual encounter in section twenty-seven?
3. How much does the woman at the beginning of section twenty-eight weigh?
4. When Bukowski's ex-girlfriend returns after their fight, which of the following men does she bring with her?
5. In which of the following towns does section twenty-eight take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in section thirty-eight when Bukowski goes home drunk?
2. Why does the superior officer in section thirty-six finally order Stirkoff to be taken to the torture chamber?
3. How does the landlady in section twenty-eight respond to the broken bed?
4. Describe Lou's plan to strike it rich in section thirty-three.
5. Describe how Bukowski earns $50 in section thirty-four.
6. Describe Bukowski's housing situation in section twenty-three.
7. What is Yevonna like physically before her marriage to Hank, and how does that change after the marriage in section forty?
8. What is the letter Bukowski relates in section twenty-six?
9. What happens in section twenty-nine when Mary brings Eddie and the Duchess to Bukowski's place?
10. Describe how Bukowski meets the woman who ends up at his place in section nineteen.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Yevonna actually mentally troubled, or is she merely "playing possum" because she's unhappy with Bukowski/Radowski? Develop a thesis and write a persuasive essay taking one view or the other. Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Bukowski's view of homosexuality with that of his friend Kerouac. Be sure to include quotes and supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss Bukowski's view of death based on his comments in the book. Be sure to include quotes and other necessary supporting information.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)