|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Toward the end of section twenty-four, to which state does Bukowski's ex-wife move?
2. Who wrote the letter in section twenty-six?
3. In section thirty-eight, Bukowski says his mother was from what country?
4. In which of the following towns does section thirty take place?
5. In section thirty-four, the crying man has recordings of which famous composer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What goes wrong with the plan to strike it rich in section thirty-three?
2. Describe how Hank finally gets rid of William in section twenty-seven.
3. Describe how Bukowski meets the woman who ends up at his place in section nineteen.
4. Why does the superior officer in section thirty-six finally order Stirkoff to be taken to the torture chamber?
5. Describe Bukowski's relationship with Renie in section thirty-seven.
6. In section twenty-four, describe the relationship between Bukowski and his wife.
7. How does the landlady in section twenty-eight respond to the broken bed?
8. What is the relationship between the two speakers in section twenty, and what evidence suggests it?
9. Describe what happened to Felica after she and Hank ran away from Yevonna in section forty.
10. What is Yevonna like physically before her marriage to Hank, and how does that change after the marriage in section forty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Bukowski's friendships affect him? Pick three of his friends in the book and compare and contrast the influence each has on his life. Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the wealthy man, Maxfield, and Stirkoff in sections 34, 35, and 36. How are these three men similar? What are they looking for in life? Use information from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Is Yevonna actually mentally troubled, or is she merely "playing possum" because she's unhappy with Bukowski/Radowski? Develop a thesis and write a persuasive essay taking one view or the other. Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)