|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the maid's name in section forty?
2. What is the name of the woman Bukowski plans to marry in section twenty-four?
3. According to section thirty-eight, what is the name of Bukowski's father?
4. What is the name of the man sharing Bukowski's apartment with whom he has the unintended sexual encounter in section twenty-seven?
5. In section thirty-nine, Bukowski says he attended Los Angeles High School during which decade?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Hank finally gets rid of William in section twenty-seven.
2. Describe Bukowski's relationship with Renie in section thirty-seven.
3. What happens in section twenty-nine when Mary brings Eddie and the Duchess to Bukowski's place?
4. Describe how Bukowski meets the woman who ends up at his place in section nineteen.
5. What is the relationship between the two speakers in section twenty, and what evidence suggests it?
6. Describe Bukowski's experience in the tough bar in section twenty-one.
7. Describe Bukowski's housing situation in section twenty-three.
8. What is the letter Bukowski relates in section twenty-six?
9. Why does the superior officer in section thirty-six finally order Stirkoff to be taken to the torture chamber?
10. What revelation is given about Bukowski and Henry at the end of section twenty-two?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways is Bukowski perfectly suited to his column? Could he write it for a more traditional newspaper? In a well-developed essay, analyze three characteristics of Bukowski's personality that make this column the perfect outlet for him.
Essay Topic 2
What genre does Bukowski fit into? Do some research and define him, using stylistic examples from the text to support your paper.
Essay Topic 3
Is Bukowski simply unlucky with women, or is he purposely unlucky? Develop a thesis arguing whether his repeated relationship failures are pure mishap or if he plans them that way. Include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)