|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Jack's friend who shows up when he sits back down to sew?
2. In the letter Bukowski's ex-wife sends him, she says that he should attend poetry readings at which church?
3. While discussing John Bryan, Bukowski mentions that he originally worked for which publication?
4. What is the name of the beautiful woman that Bugsy probably uses to distract J.C. while cutting off his wings?
5. In his introduction of Kerouac, Bukowski says Kerouac personally knows all BUT WHICH of the following poets?
Short Essay Questions
1. After leaving New York at the end of section six, what sentiments does Bukowski voice about the city?
2. Why, in section fourteen, does Jack finally call the police and report himself as a murderer?
3. How does Bukowski react when his favorite fighter loses to Balanos in section seven?
4. To what does Bukowski compare the smell behind the curtain in section three?
5. In section seven, by what process does Bukowski pick the fight winners at the Olympic?
6. What does Bukowski say after relating the rant from the sportscaster who wants to lock up the mad?
7. Explain what Neal is doing when Bukowski meets him in section four.
8. Bukowski spends some time in the foreword detailing his thoughts about fame and reputation. Explain his sentiments.
9. Describe Henry's ailment in section seventeen.
10. In section nine, Bukowski has what to say in response to the assassinations of Kennedy, King, and Malcolm X?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the wealthy man, Maxfield, and Stirkoff in sections 34, 35, and 36. How are these three men similar? What are they looking for in life? Use information from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Pick one of the statements from section 22 and write an essay detailing three ways in which this statement can be seen in practice in Bukowski's life (or in the life of one of his characters). Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
How does Bukowski feel about other members of his profession, and what personal qualities lead him to those opinions? Pick three of Bukowski's personal life tenets and discuss the ways in which other writers disappoint him in those areas. Include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)