|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bukowski's friend carry in an elastic strap on his arm in section sixteen?
2. In section twelve, Bukowski says to avoid all BUT WHICH of the following authors?
3. As section nine begins, Bukowski says that the main problem with the Kennedy assassination is that we lose gains in all BUT WHICH of the following areas?
4. When introducing readers to Kerouac, Bukowski mentions that his friend is from which part of New York?
5. Bukowski says in section eighteen that he last tried suicide in what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the discussion of John Bryan, what reason does Bukowski give for Bryan's termination from the Herald-Examiner?
2. Based on the foreword, describe the process by which this book came to be.
3. As section fifteen begins, what early comment does Bukowski make about L that foreshadows his dislike of the man?
4. What do Moss and Anderson decide in the course of their discussion about the laws of nature in regard to mating practices?
5. In section thirteen, what conclusions does the narrator draw about the life he's led?
6. Describe Bukowski's concerns about revolution as discussed in section twelve.
7. What begins the major argument between Bukowski and L in section fifteen?
8. In section sixteen, explain what event Red says he witnessed for which he was given a wallet to keep quiet.
9. In section eighteen Bukowski discusses suicide. Describe Bukowski's personal suicide attempt and the result.
10. At the end of section one, what explanation does Bukowski give for the fight with Elf?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss Bukowski's view of death based on his comments in the book. Be sure to include quotes and other necessary supporting information.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss Bukowski's view of marriage based on the two marriages he has in his book. Include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
In general, Bukowski writes autobiographically. Has he truly experienced everything he writes about? Or has he made a lot of it up? Write a persuasive essay arguing one way or the other, and be sure to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)