|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which horse won the 6th race at the end of section eight?
2. What does the angel in section two say his name is?
3. In what Italian city does section five take place?
4. At the end of section ten, Moss tells the woman he calls that he's been thinking about a dress she wore. What color was the dress?
5. Which of the friends says, in section ten, that some men just aren't any good with women and that he personally never has been?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Neal is doing when Bukowski meets him in section four.
2. In section fourteen, where are the bodies located in the house?
3. Describe the relationship between Freddie and his daughter in section eleven.
4. Why, in section fourteen, does Jack finally call the police and report himself as a murderer?
5. Why, according to section twelve, is Bukowski happy to be living in the age he is despite the chaos and corruption?
6. Describe the circumstances Bukowski relates in section eighteen about his friend Lou's attempted suicide.
7. In section one, why is Bukowski stuck in his apartment?
8. At the end of section one, what explanation does Bukowski give for the fight with Elf?
9. At the end of section four, what does Bukowski say he said to Neal when they first met?
10. What experience does Bukowski have with the Jewish cleaners in section six?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Bukowski see his place in the world? Pick three of his major personality traits and discuss the ways in which those three things shape his life. Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the wealthy man, Maxfield, and Stirkoff in sections 34, 35, and 36. How are these three men similar? What are they looking for in life? Use information from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Bukowski's time at the Olympic with his time at the race track. What lessons does he learn from each place? Include supporting information from the appropriate sections.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)