|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As section fourteen opens, what is the woman at the door selling?
2. When talking to Big Jack, Bukowski finally figures out that he is where?
3. What is the name of Bukowski's lady love in section seven?
4. As section three begins, what instrument does Bukowski sit down to play?
5. What is the name of the little girl in the doctor's office in section seventeen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the circumstances Bukowski relates in section eighteen about his friend Lou's attempted suicide.
2. Bukowski spends some time in the foreword detailing his thoughts about fame and reputation. Explain his sentiments.
3. What does the narrator finally discover about dying at the end of section thirteen?
4. Explain why Bukowski is tired of the bar scene in section sixteen.
5. As section fifteen begins, what early comment does Bukowski make about L that foreshadows his dislike of the man?
6. In section eighteen Bukowski discusses suicide. Describe Bukowski's personal suicide attempt and the result.
7. In section sixteen, explain what event Red says he witnessed for which he was given a wallet to keep quiet.
8. How does Henry respond to his ailment in section seventeen?
9. What do Moss and Anderson decide in the course of their discussion about the laws of nature in regard to mating practices?
10. Describe the relationship between Marty and the little girl in section eleven.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss Bukowski's view of marriage based on the two marriages he has in his book. Include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
How do Bukowski's friendships affect him? Pick three of his friends in the book and compare and contrast the influence each has on his life. Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Bukowski's time at the Olympic with his time at the race track. What lessons does he learn from each place? Include supporting information from the appropriate sections.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)