|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As section three begins, what instrument does Bukowski sit down to play?
2. What does Bukowski's friend carry in an elastic strap on his arm in section sixteen?
3. What is the name of the woman Moss calls toward the end of section ten?
4. During the fight in section two, Bukowski wishes that any BUT WHICH of the following would put a stop to it?
5. According to Bukowski, what percentage of the time is he correct about the results of the boxing matches at the Olympic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bukowski mean at the end of section five when he says, "who cares about a dead battery?"
2. What does Bukowski say after relating the rant from the sportscaster who wants to lock up the mad?
3. Describe what letter Bukowski finds in his mailbox when he arrives home at the end of section three.
4. Explain Jimmy Crispin's reasons for wanting to play baseball in section two.
5. What does the narrator finally discover about dying at the end of section thirteen?
6. As section fifteen begins, what early comment does Bukowski make about L that foreshadows his dislike of the man?
7. At the end of section one, what explanation does Bukowski give for the fight with Elf?
8. In section seven, by what process does Bukowski pick the fight winners at the Olympic?
9. Describe Bukowski's concerns about revolution as discussed in section twelve.
10. What begins the major argument between Bukowski and L in section fifteen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Bukowski's true opinion of women? Pick three of the women from the book with whom he interacts and build a thesis based on his treatment of those three women. Include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Does Bukowski mean what he says in his foreword about not caring what his audience thinks of him? Does his repeated use of Henry/Hank suggest otherwise? In a well-developed essay, argue one way or the other. Use supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
How does Bukowski feel about other members of his profession, and what personal qualities lead him to those opinions? Pick three of Bukowski's personal life tenets and discuss the ways in which other writers disappoint him in those areas. Include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)