|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Freddie use to kill Marty when Marty and the mother come to pick up the little girl?
(b) Butcher knife.
(c) Beer bottle.
2. In what Italian city does section five take place?
3. What is the name of Jack's wife in section fourteen?
4. How many track police attempt to subdue the angry crowd on the track in section eight?
5. Which writer does Bukowski quote in section five as saying, "to have great poets we need great audiences?"
Short Answer Questions
1. As section one opens, what friend is Bukowski sitting with?
2. When Bukowski began writing for Bryan's newspaper, who was the author of the piece reviewed?
3. What does Jack get out of the freezer toward the end of section fourteen?
4. In the letter Bukowski's ex-wife sends him, she says that he should attend poetry readings at which church?
5. When asked when he last saw his father, which of the following years does Neal say?
Short Essay Questions
1. In section eight, what does Bukowski have to say about philosophers?
2. At the end of section one, what explanation does Bukowski give for the fight with Elf?
3. When discussing the origin of the Open City newspaper, what challenges does Bukowski say that his friend John Bryan faced?
4. In section fourteen, where are the bodies located in the house?
5. Bukowski spends some time in the foreword detailing his thoughts about fame and reputation. Explain his sentiments.
6. Describe the circumstances Bukowski relates in section eighteen about his friend Lou's attempted suicide.
7. In section nine, Bukowski has what to say in response to the assassinations of Kennedy, King, and Malcolm X?
8. In section eighteen Bukowski discusses suicide. Describe Bukowski's personal suicide attempt and the result.
9. In section sixteen, explain what event Red says he witnessed for which he was given a wallet to keep quiet.
10. In section seven, by what process does Bukowski pick the fight winners at the Olympic?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)