|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In section twelve, Bukowski says to avoid all BUT WHICH of the following authors?
2. What is the name of Big Jack's girlfriend in section three?
3. In his introduction of Kerouac, Bukowski says Kerouac personally knows all BUT WHICH of the following poets?
4. Bukowski says in section eighteen that he last tried suicide in what year?
5. In what Italian city does section five take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. In section thirteen, the narrator has a post card where a professor states that the narrator is the best poet since which of the following?
2. In the foreword, Bukowski says that the book contains selections from about _____ months worth of columns.
3. What is the name of Bukowski's friend at the beginning of section sixteen?
4. When Bukowski leaves the apartment after the card game fight, to which city does he take a bus?
5. What does Bukowski's friend carry in an elastic strap on his arm in section sixteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. In section sixteen, explain what event Red says he witnessed for which he was given a wallet to keep quiet.
2. In section eighteen Bukowski discusses suicide. Describe Bukowski's personal suicide attempt and the result.
3. What goes wrong with the plan to strike it rich in section thirty-three?
4. According to Bukowski, why does the crowd continue to bet on the races after the riot on the field in section eight?
5. Describe Henry's ailment in section seventeen.
6. In section nine, Bukowski has what to say in response to the assassinations of Kennedy, King, and Malcolm X?
7. What experience does Bukowski have with the Jewish cleaners in section six?
8. Explain Jimmy Crispin's reasons for wanting to play baseball in section two.
9. Bukowski spends some time in the foreword detailing his thoughts about fame and reputation. Explain his sentiments.
10. Describe Bukowski's relationship with Renie in section thirty-seven.
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)