|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In section three, where does Bukowski initially believe that he is?
(b) Los Angeles.
(c) North Hollywood.
2. As section fourteen opens, what is the woman at the door selling?
(b) Ice cream.
(c) Sour cream.
3. In the foreword, Bukowski mentions that Bryan's beard is what color?
4. How much money does Bukowski lose after the angel loses his wings and is unable to play the final game?
(a) 100 grand.
(b) 50 grand.
(c) 250 grand.
(d) 400 grand.
5. When asked to begin writing for Bryan's newspaper, Bukowski began with a review of what?
(a) A Rose for Emily.
(b) Papa Hemingway.
(c) Of Mice and Men.
(d) This Side of Paradise.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bukowski arrives in his room in the Village in New York, what item does he find in the room that he considers useless?
2. What is the name of the beautiful woman that Bugsy probably uses to distract J.C. while cutting off his wings?
3. After relating the rant from the sportscaster, Bukowski says that _____ out of 60 men on the street are cuckoo.
4. As section eleven opens, Freddie tells his boss he hasn't been to work because he's building what scientific device?
5. Bukowski ends section five by asking who cares about a dead what?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Bukowski, why does the crowd continue to bet on the races after the riot on the field in section eight?
2. In section nine, Bukowski has what to say in response to the assassinations of Kennedy, King, and Malcolm X?
3. In section eighteen Bukowski discusses suicide. Describe Bukowski's personal suicide attempt and the result.
4. Describe the relationship between Marty and the little girl in section eleven.
5. As section fifteen begins, what early comment does Bukowski make about L that foreshadows his dislike of the man?
6. In section eight, what does Bukowski have to say about philosophers?
7. When discussing the origin of the Open City newspaper, what challenges does Bukowski say that his friend John Bryan faced?
8. How does Bukowski react when his favorite fighter loses to Balanos in section seven?
9. Describe what letter Bukowski finds in his mailbox when he arrives home at the end of section three.
10. Bukowski spends some time in the foreword detailing his thoughts about fame and reputation. Explain his sentiments.
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)