|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In section three, where does Bukowski initially believe that he is?
(a) Los Angeles.
(d) North Hollywood.
2. In section five Bukowski says he finds there are other things besides the mind, including all BUT WHICH of the following?
(c) Palm trees.
(d) Pepper shakers.
3. In section ten, at whose apartment are the friends spending Saturday night?
4. According to Freddie in section eleven, people are made of all BUT WHICH of the following?
5. After leaving New York at the end of section six, to which town does Bukowski go?
(b) Kansas City.
Short Answer Questions
1. In section one, what item does the Filipino man guarding Bukowski's door have in his hand?
2. In section eight, the official payoff of $5.40 means Bukowski will get $27.00 instead of what possible amount?
3. Which writer does Bukowski quote in section five as saying, "to have great poets we need great audiences?"
4. After the saleswoman leaves, Jack remembers that there are how many dead bodies in his house?
5. What is the name of Bukowski's lady love in section seven?
Short Essay Questions
1. In section eight, what does Bukowski have to say about philosophers?
2. In section sixteen, explain what event Red says he witnessed for which he was given a wallet to keep quiet.
3. Explain what Neal is doing when Bukowski meets him in section four.
4. Based on the foreword, describe the process by which this book came to be.
5. Describe Bukowski's concerns about revolution as discussed in section twelve.
6. In section one, why is Bukowski stuck in his apartment?
7. During the discussion of John Bryan, what reason does Bukowski give for Bryan's termination from the Herald-Examiner?
8. In section eighteen Bukowski discusses suicide. Describe Bukowski's personal suicide attempt and the result.
9. In section nine, Bukowski has what to say in response to the assassinations of Kennedy, King, and Malcolm X?
10. After leaving New York at the end of section six, what sentiments does Bukowski voice about the city?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)