|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bukowski says in his foreword that Bryan is a type of crazy idealist and what?
2. In section one, what item does the Filipino man guarding Bukowski's door have in his hand?
3. As section three begins, what instrument does Bukowski sit down to play?
4. When Neal is killed, which friend calls Bukowski to tell him?
5. After relating the rant from the sportscaster, Bukowski says that _____ out of 60 men on the street are cuckoo.
Short Answer Questions
1. In section twelve, Bukowski says to avoid all BUT WHICH of the following authors?
2. When Bukowski finds himself outside Yankee Stadium in section six, which former Yankee player does he mention as his boyhood hero?
3. After vomiting several times, the narrator says he hears what on Sunset Blvd?
4. Bukowski says in section eighteen that he last tried suicide in what year?
5. What time is it in section thirteen as the narrator wakes?
Short Essay Questions
1. In section sixteen, explain what event Red says he witnessed for which he was given a wallet to keep quiet.
2. When discussing the origin of the Open City newspaper, what challenges does Bukowski say that his friend John Bryan faced?
3. Explain who saws off Jimmy Crispin's wings in section two, and why.
4. Explain Jimmy Crispin's reasons for wanting to play baseball in section two.
5. What does the narrator finally discover about dying at the end of section thirteen?
6. What does Bukowski say after relating the rant from the sportscaster who wants to lock up the mad?
7. Bukowski spends some time in the foreword detailing his thoughts about fame and reputation. Explain his sentiments.
8. According to Bukowski, why does the crowd continue to bet on the races after the riot on the field in section eight?
9. At the end of section four, what does Bukowski say he said to Neal when they first met?
10. During the discussion of John Bryan, what reason does Bukowski give for Bryan's termination from the Herald-Examiner?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)