|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hannah say comes after the Fourth of July?
2. What does Maxine say she and Fred considered a long conversation?
3. What does Shannon say Hannah can use the cross for?
4. In what state did Shannon have his church?
5. What does Shannon think a few years living with Maxine would prepare him for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Hannah and Shannon.
1) In what ways are they similar people?
2) Why does Williams suggest a real relationship could never develop between them?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the play's reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the play differ? Was the play more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
Examine sex in the play.
1) How do the characters in the play view sex?
2) What does the representation of sex say about American society in the early sixties?
3) How did the public react to the novel's representation when it was first published? How would the public react to a similar book today?
This section contains 212 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)