|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the cubicles lighted with?
2. Who does Shannon suggest Maxine get to respect her?
3. What does Shannon say Mexican chickens are?
4. Why does Nonno commit his poetry lines to memory?
5. What does Maxine say it is humiliating not to be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine sex in the play.
1) How do the characters in the play view sex?
2) What does the representation of sex say about American society in the early sixties?
3) How did the public react to the novel's representation when it was first published? How would the public react to a similar book today?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Shannon's character to the person he is at the beginning of the play to the person he is at the end of the play.
1) What does Shannon hope to achieve at the start of the play?
2) What events changes Shannon's ideas about life?
3) What does the author suggest will be Shannon's future?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Mexican and American culture.
1) What are the differences between the two cultures?
2) In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
3) How would the author represent Mexican culture and Mexican's if the play were released today?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)