|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of drink does Maxine offer Shannon?
2. What does the girl say everyone wants before they go back to town?
3. What does Shannon say he does not want?
4. What Spanish word does Miss Fellowes say to the Mexican boys?
5. What does Miss Fellowes call the tour?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Miss Fellowes angry at Shannon?
2. How does Shannon burn himself?
3. Why does Maxine think Hannah is a deadbeat?
4. How does Shannon startle the Mexican boys?
5. What conditions does Maxine lay out for Hannah?
6. Why does Hannah refuse to let Shannon free?
7. How did Fred die?
8. Why can Shannon not stay at the hotel?
9. What does Maxine tell Hannah about Shannon's condition?
10. Describe the tussle between Maxine and Shannon.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the play's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas?
Essay Topic 2
Examine sex in the play.
1) How do the characters in the play view sex?
2) What does the representation of sex say about American society in the early sixties?
3) How did the public react to the novel's representation when it was first published? How would the public react to a similar book today?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Shannon's character to the person he is at the beginning of the play to the person he is at the end of the play.
1) What does Shannon hope to achieve at the start of the play?
2) What events changes Shannon's ideas about life?
3) What does the author suggest will be Shannon's future?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)