|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event causes Harold Parkette in The Lawnmower Man to sell his mower?
2. Why did Katrina let go when Larry told her to even though she didn't know what he was planning?
3. On the first night of the strawberry spring in the narrator's past, what is discovered?
4. Who does Harold expect will come to mow his lawn?
5. Which of the following is not something the person who comes to mow Harold's lawn does?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does "strawberry spring" refer to?
2. What does Children of the Corn suggest cornfields are a symbol of?
3. What does the ledge symbolize in the story The Ledge?
4. What evidence points to the narrator of Strawberry Spring being the serial killer?
5. What do we learn of Katrina's fate in The Last Rung on the Ladder?
6. What decision does Johnny struggle with in The Woman in the Room?
7. What is the symbol of the ladder in The Last Rung on the Ladder?
8. What do people think about the young man in The Man Who Loved Flowers and is their assumption correct?
9. What type of person is Stan Norris in The Ledge?
10. What convinces Morrison to quit smoking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the stories focus on a particular setting. which is important in moving the plot forward. Discuss how King effectively uses setting as a tool of writing, while including specific examples from the book as support.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the stories in Night Shift have a film adaptation. Analyze what elements of the stories lend themselves to be translated to film. Are the messages as clear? Does film make the story clearer, or change it altogether? How and why?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Gray Matter and Quitters, Inc. Gray matter is a statement of anti-alcoholism while Quitters, Inc. is anti-smoking, two very common habits many people have.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)