|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which family member does Charles Boone lose?
2. Who is Jackson?
3. Who in the group contracted the flu?
4. What happens to Richard in the end of I Am the Doorway?
5. What does Norman learn happened to the boys who killed his brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lester Billings make an appointment with a psychiatrist?
2. What are Norman's dreams about?
3. What is the symbolism behind the gray mass that Richie has become?
4. What theme does the story, Battleground, illustrate?
5. How does the story seem impossible and what is Renshaw's reaction to the attacks?
6. What is Artie's decision in the end of I Am the Doorway and what can we conclude about him from this?
7. What theme does The Mangler illustrate and how?
8. What does Artie fear and what does it tell us about him?
9. Briefly describe Hall's character from Graveyard Shift.
10. Why does Lester think the Boogeyman killed his children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the stories are told in First Person narration. Discuss first person narration as a tool, while comparing and contrasting the first person narrators in the Night Shift.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of revenge is found in several of the works in Night Shift. In which stories is revenge a theme? Compare and contrast the revenge in these stories.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of family is found in a few of the works in Night Shift. Which stories portray family and in what light? What are the relationships between family members? Compare and contrast the stories, analyzing each in relation to family.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)