|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Wayne?
2. When Charles goes into the basement of the house, what does he find?
3. What accident leads Hunton and Jackson to further investigate the matter behind the mangler?
4. What does Hall convince Warwick to do?
5. What ailment does Charles Boone suffer from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe Hall's character from Graveyard Shift.
2. In The Mangler, what does Jackson research that must be done to the machines?
3. What does Artie fear and what does it tell us about him?
4. What does Artie believe is happening to him?
5. What is the basic premise of the story Night Surf?
6. Describe Officer Hunton's character briefly.
7. What is the basic premise of Trucks?
8. Why does Lester Billings make an appointment with a psychiatrist?
9. What theme does The Mangler illustrate and how?
10. What are Norman's dreams about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Children of the Corn is an interesting tale, which touches upon the idea of cults and mass suicides. Research what cults are and how they are an extreme form of a man-made religion, as well as mass suicides in history. Then discuss how the story is a symbol of it and what message it tells the reader about cults.
Essay Topic 2
The death of the main character is common in horror stories. Compare and contrast the deaths of several characters in Night Shift. Why did the character die and how? What purpose did the death serve and what message does it send to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Edgar Allen Poe is considered to be the American writer who invented horror. Many of King's tales have similar traits to Poe's, such as the use of an unreliable narrator to tell a story (The Tell-Tale Heart, Poe) or ending the story so that the reader is left assuming the worst. Research both Poe and King and compare and contrast them as authors. Was King influenced by Poe? What commonalities are there between their tales?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)