|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In January 1919, a special investigator finds the mine with its evidence of the ___________ of the Romanovs.
2. Who advises the Tsar that revolution is imminent unless he keeps Alexandra from further interference in official matters?
3. Why is Alexandra investigated by Kerensky after she and Nicholas are arrested?
4. Family members and friends of the Romanovs believe the revolution is coming from:
5. When Guchkov and Shulgan arrive to confer with Nicholas, to whom does he abdicate his throne in favor of?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the Four Brothers Mine, how are the bodies of Nicholas and his family disposed of?
2. When strikers marched in the streets on Sunday, March 11, 1917, they find that signs are posted by order of the Tsar. What do the signs say?
3. When Alexis suffers a nosebleed and Rasputin is sent for, what does Rasputin do when he arrives and what happens afterward?
4. In the letter that turns out to prophesy his death as well as the fate of the monarchy, what does Rasputin say happens to the Romanovs if his death is at the hands of peasants or commoners? Likewise, what does he say happens to the monarchy if his death is at the hands of nobles?
5. As the soldiers guarding the Romanovs in Tyumen come to understand the meaning of the revolution, how do their attitudes toward the Romanovs change?
6. In the period immediately following the assassination of Tsar Nicholas and his family, why do as many of his Romanov relatives as are able leave Russia?
7. During the sixteen months Nicholas is at either Stavka or the front, Alexandra is in charge of the administrative functions of the government. What is the result of Alexandra's leadership?
8. What happens to all of the money that is sent to Siberia to help the Romanovs?
9. How are the Romanovs lured to their deaths, and who tells them they were going to die? How long after the announcement of their impending death are the Romanovs killed?
10. What secret information is found in Alexandra's papers after the abdication? Who is authorized to have copies of this information?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and demonstrate how Nicholas' agreement to the Imperial Manifesto and the establishment of the Duma (Russia's Parliament) both enable the revolutionaries and hasten the collapse of the Russian monarchy. Use the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the narrative's description, in chapter 5, of Nicholas' and Alexandra's attitudes about the coronation day and analyze whether or not these attitudes (Alexandra's in particular) foreshadow how they deal with later problems in their personal as well as political lives. Use the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the causes of the Russian-Japanese war, and analyze and demonstrate how Russia's experiences during this war, particularly during the Battle of the Straits of Tsushima, shape its military strategy for World War I. Use the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)