|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens on March 21, 1917?
2. Nicholas thinks he is taken to ______________ and is forced to sign the peace treaty with Germany.
3. On the day they are murdered, what is the reason the Romanovs are given for having to leave?
4. When Trotsky returns to Russia from New York in May 1917, what is his relationship with Lenin?
5. In what month does Alexis go to the front with the Tsar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What secret information is found in Alexandra's papers after the abdication? Who is authorized to have copies of this information?
2. When are the Romanovs told they are able to leave Siberia?
3. Under the 'protection' of Captain Kotzebue's revolutionaries, how are the Romanovs treated at first?
4. As the soldiers guarding the Romanovs in Tyumen come to understand the meaning of the revolution, how do their attitudes toward the Romanovs change?
5. What happens on March 18, 1917, that prompts Alexandra to burn much of her correspondence?
6. What do Rasputin's murderers believe is the outcome of his death?
7. When strikers marched in the streets on Sunday, March 11, 1917, they find that signs are posted by order of the Tsar. What do the signs say?
8. At the Four Brothers Mine, how are the bodies of Nicholas and his family disposed of?
9. How are the Romanovs lured to their deaths, and who tells them they were going to die? How long after the announcement of their impending death are the Romanovs killed?
10. To what is the collapse of the Russian monarchy near the end of World War I ultimately attributed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reason why Felix Yussoupov and his co-conspirators assassinate Rasputin is to try to save the monarchy. Using the text, analyze and explain why, and how, his assassination actually ends up contributing to the revolutionary cause and to the collapse of the monarchy.
Essay Topic 2
Using the text, explain and analyze how Alexandra's belief that Rasputin is a representative from God who miraculously heals her son enables Rasputin to take advantage of her, as well as Alexis' hemophilia, in order to gain influence in and, eventually, control over Russia's government.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the causes of the Russian-Japanese war, and analyze and demonstrate how Russia's experiences during this war, particularly during the Battle of the Straits of Tsushima, shape its military strategy for World War I. Use the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)