|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rasputin always tells Alexandra that Alexis loses the crown and Alexandra dies if ______________ dies.
2. In what month does Alexis go to the front with the Tsar?
3. When Guchkov and Shulgan arrive to confer with Nicholas, to whom does he abdicate his throne in favor of?
4. On March 12, 1917, whom does Alexandra ask to come to her?
5. What year do the Germans target as the year to force the Russians out of the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Alexis' nurse, Nagorny, arrested after the Romanovs are moved to Ekaterinburg?
2. Why does Nicholas bring Alexis to live with him at the Stavka in the fall of 1915?
3. Instead of telling Nicholas that a revolution is taking place, what does Protopopov and Voeikov tell him about the events taking place in St. Petersburg, and how does he find out what is really happening?
4. In the letter that turns out to prophesy his death as well as the fate of the monarchy, what does Rasputin say happens to the Romanovs if his death is at the hands of peasants or commoners? Likewise, what does he say happens to the monarchy if his death is at the hands of nobles?
5. In the period between Nicholas' abdication and the Romanovs' arrest, why do the revolutionaries not attack the Alexander Palace, where the family is living?
6. What happens to all of the money that is sent to Siberia to help the Romanovs?
7. When Colonel Kobylinsky is placed in charge of the Romanovs, how does the way in which they are treated change?
8. On March 12, the day the revolution begins, what is the response of the Cabinet? What is significant about this action?
9. When are the Romanovs told they are able to leave Siberia?
10. To what is the collapse of the Russian monarchy near the end of World War I ultimately attributed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the causes of the Russian-Japanese war, and analyze and demonstrate how Russia's experiences during this war, particularly during the Battle of the Straits of Tsushima, shape its military strategy for World War I. Use the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and demonstrate how the assassination of Austria's Archduke Ferdinand by Serbian revolutionary Gabriel Princip, which leads to World War I, contribute to the downfall of the Russian military and, ultimately, the monarchy. Support your statements with the text.
Essay Topic 3
Explain and analyze why, although there are people who want, and indeed try, to help the Romanovs escape, nothing ever comes to fruition. Use the text as backup.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)