|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Provisional Government is trying to get the Romanov family __________.
2. Where is the Stavka relocated to?
3. Whom does Nicholas bring to live with him at Stavka in the fall of 1915?
4. Who are Pankratov and Nikolsky loyal to?
5. In what month does Alexis go to the front with the Tsar?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the sixteen months Nicholas is at either Stavka or the front, Alexandra is in charge of the administrative functions of the government. What is the result of Alexandra's leadership?
2. When Alexis suffers a nosebleed and Rasputin is sent for, what does Rasputin do when he arrives and what happens afterward?
3. Why are losses so heavy among Russian officers, in particular, during World War I?
4. What does the Tsar do in an attempt to slow down the rate of loss among his army officers?
5. What do Rasputin's murderers believe is the outcome of his death?
6. Under the 'protection' of Captain Kotzebue's revolutionaries, how are the Romanovs treated at first?
7. When are the Romanovs told they are able to leave Siberia?
8. After initially abdicating the throne to Alexis, why does Nicholas change his mind and turn it over to his brother Michael?
9. What secret information is found in Alexandra's papers after the abdication? Who is authorized to have copies of this information?
10. In the letter that turns out to prophesy his death as well as the fate of the monarchy, what does Rasputin say happens to the Romanovs if his death is at the hands of peasants or commoners? Likewise, what does he say happens to the monarchy if his death is at the hands of nobles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characteristics of Russia's autocratic monarchy with those of its constitutional monarchy, and analyze whether or not Nicholas' attempt to hold onto as much autocracy as possible after the passage of the Imperial Manifesto contributes to the end of the Romanov dynasty and, therefore, Russia's monarchy. Back up your work with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Using the text as backup, compare and contrast the daily routine of the Romanovs, as described in Chapter 10, with the daily life of the typical Russian worker.
Essay Topic 3
By using the text as backup and comparing and contrasting Russian Orthodox and Lutheran beliefs, explain why women who marry into the Russian royal family convert to the Russian Orthodox faith, as Alix is required to do from the Lutheran faith in which she is raised.
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)