|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After being warned that revolution is imminent, to whom does Tsar Nicholas give control?
2. What happens five days after the Tsar relinquishes control of the government?
3. What happens on March 21, 1917?
4. How many wartime letters from Alexandra to Nicholas are found in Ekaterinburg after the revolution?
5. Under Russian law, what is Kerensky's call for removal of the Tsar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Tsar do in an attempt to slow down the rate of loss among his army officers?
2. What happens on March 18, 1917, that prompts Alexandra to burn much of her correspondence?
3. As the soldiers guarding the Romanovs in Tyumen come to understand the meaning of the revolution, how do their attitudes toward the Romanovs change?
4. After the revolution, 630 letters from Alexandra to Nicholas, written while Nicholas is at the Stavka, are found in Ekaterinburg. What do the letters contain?
5. Why does Nicholas bring Alexis to live with him at the Stavka in the fall of 1915?
6. After initially abdicating the throne to Alexis, why does Nicholas change his mind and turn it over to his brother Michael?
7. Under the 'protection' of Captain Kotzebue's revolutionaries, how are the Romanovs treated at first?
8. Why is Alexis' nurse, Nagorny, arrested after the Romanovs are moved to Ekaterinburg?
9. Why are losses so heavy among Russian officers, in particular, during World War I?
10. In the letter that turns out to prophesy his death as well as the fate of the monarchy, what does Rasputin say happens to the Romanovs if his death is at the hands of peasants or commoners? Likewise, what does he say happens to the monarchy if his death is at the hands of nobles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain and analyze why, although there are people who want, and indeed try, to help the Romanovs escape, nothing ever comes to fruition. Use the text as backup.
Essay Topic 2
By using the text as backup and comparing and contrasting Russian Orthodox and Lutheran beliefs, explain why women who marry into the Russian royal family convert to the Russian Orthodox faith, as Alix is required to do from the Lutheran faith in which she is raised.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and demonstrate how the assassination of Austria's Archduke Ferdinand by Serbian revolutionary Gabriel Princip, which leads to World War I, contribute to the downfall of the Russian military and, ultimately, the monarchy. Support your statements with the text.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)