|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position in Russia's government does Plehve hold?
2. With what medical condition is Alexis diagnosed at six weeks of age?
3. What beneficial effect does Alexandra believe Rasputin has on Alexis?
4. What does Rasputin do as a child that earns him a reputation as a seer?
5. Nicholas' wedding takes place:
Short Essay Questions
1. When World War I begins, why do Nicholas and Alexandra travel to Moscow?
2. With which religious, sexually immoral, sect is Rasputin accused of having an association?
3. The Imperial Park at Tsarskoe Selo is the site of which two Russian palaces?
4. When World War I begins, the Tsar is reluctant to become involved because Russia is not prepared for war. Why is Russia not prepared for war?
5. During the summer of 1912, while the family is at their hunting lodge in Spala, how does Alexis incur the hemorrhage in his groin and thigh that nearly kills him?
6. After the Archduke's assassination, Austria presents an ultimatum to Serbia, to which it expects a response within forty-eight hours in order to prevent it declaring war upon Serbia. What demands do Austria's ultimatum place upon Serbia?
7. Why do many in St. Petersburg society consider Alexandra a prude?
8. Why do Russian Easter celebrations include large banquets?
9. Why is Alexandra so severely affected by Alexis' hemophilia?
10. After Stolypin and Kokovtsov each have personal interviews with Rasputin when they are in office, what happens to them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the views and philosophies of Lenin's Bolsheviks with Plekhanov's Mensheviks, and analyze--using the text as backup--why Lenin and the Bolshevik views prevailed over Plekhanov and the Mensheviks.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and explain how Nicholas and Alexandra's decision to keep Alexis' hemophilia a secret contributed to not only Alexandra's unpopularity with Russians but also to the downfall of the monarchy. Back up your arguments with citations from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Explain and analyze why, although there are people who want, and indeed try, to help the Romanovs escape, nothing ever comes to fruition. Use the text as backup.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)