|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Serbian revolutionary group to which Archduke Ferdinand's assassin belongs?
2. What is the response of Kaiser William, the ruler of Germany and Tsar Nicholas' cousin, to the Austrian shelling of Serbia?
3. What does the Tsar change the name of St. Petersburg to on August 31, 1914?
4. What region of Russia, where the Romanovs go every spring and celebrate Easter, is the family's favorite?
5. Which Russian Prime Ministers does Alexandra send Rasputin to meet with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What begins to appear in public after Iliodor and his supporters are sent into seclusion?
2. In the Russian system of autocracy, to whom is the Tsar responsible?
3. With which religious, sexually immoral, sect is Rasputin accused of having an association?
4. How does Rasputin believe that people came to be forgiven of their sins?
5. After the Archduke's assassination, Austria presents an ultimatum to Serbia, to which it expects a response within forty-eight hours in order to prevent it declaring war upon Serbia. What demands do Austria's ultimatum place upon Serbia?
6. How does the Russo-Japanese war end?
7. When the First Imperial Duma appears in May 1906, what political parties form along with it?
8. Why does a riot that kills hundreds of people take place in Moscow, and at what event, on the day following Nicholas' coronation?
9. Why do many in St. Petersburg society consider Alexandra a prude?
10. What Russian institutions do Peter the Great develop?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 3, we learn that Tsar Alexander and Empress Marie are initially opposed to Nicholas' match with Alix of Hesse (later Alexandra) because they are anti-German. Analyze and explain how their opposition to this match--and her nation of origin--foreshadow the difficulty Alexandra has with her in-laws during the first few months of her marriage, her problems fitting into Russian society, as well as Russian hatred of her during World War I. Support your arguments from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the causes of the Russian-Japanese war, and analyze and demonstrate how Russia's experiences during this war, particularly during the Battle of the Straits of Tsushima, shape its military strategy for World War I. Use the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Pobedonotstsev's opinion of the Jews and what is done with them. Demonstrate and explain, using the text, how his philosophy is reflected in his student, Nicholas', own policies.
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)