|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Serbian revolutionary group to which Archduke Ferdinand's assassin belongs?
2. How does Alexandra meet Rasputin?
3. Which option lists the names of Nicholas and Alexandra's daughters in order of their birth?
4. What does Russia's government receive on October 30, 1905?
5. What beneficial effect does Alexandra believe Rasputin has on Alexis?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what is the collapse of the Russian monarchy near the end of World War I ultimately attributed?
2. The Imperial Park at Tsarskoe Selo is the site of which two Russian palaces?
3. After the revolution, 630 letters from Alexandra to Nicholas, written while Nicholas is at the Stavka, are found in Ekaterinburg. What do the letters contain?
4. When the royal yacht, the Standart, strikes a rock during a cruise, why doesn't it sink?
5. Why is Alexandra so severely affected by Alexis' hemophilia?
6. In the letter that turns out to prophesy his death as well as the fate of the monarchy, what does Rasputin say happens to the Romanovs if his death is at the hands of peasants or commoners? Likewise, what does he say happens to the monarchy if his death is at the hands of nobles?
7. How does Rasputin believe that people came to be forgiven of their sins?
8. In agreeing to the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk, what territory does Russia give up?
9. At the Four Brothers Mine, how are the bodies of Nicholas and his family disposed of?
10. What does the Tsar do in an attempt to slow down the rate of loss among his army officers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 3, we learn that Tsar Alexander and Empress Marie are initially opposed to Nicholas' match with Alix of Hesse (later Alexandra) because they are anti-German. Analyze and explain how their opposition to this match--and her nation of origin--foreshadow the difficulty Alexandra has with her in-laws during the first few months of her marriage, her problems fitting into Russian society, as well as Russian hatred of her during World War I. Support your arguments from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Using the text as backup, compare and contrast the daily routine of the Romanovs, as described in Chapter 10, with the daily life of the typical Russian worker.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characteristics of Russia's autocratic monarchy with those of its constitutional monarchy, and analyze whether or not Nicholas' attempt to hold onto as much autocracy as possible after the passage of the Imperial Manifesto contributes to the end of the Romanov dynasty and, therefore, Russia's monarchy. Back up your work with examples from the text.
This section contains 1,491 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)