|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the royal trains stop wherever there is a cool spot or water available?
2. What is the name of the first Romanov Tsar?
3. What church is the main Christian influence in Nicholas' country?
4. Russia has to limit the amount of _____________ their soldiers use in one day because of shortages.
5. What happens to Alexandra as a result of the stress she experiences while caring for Alexis during the first eleven days of his injury?
Short Essay Questions
1. What Russian institutions do Peter the Great develop?
2. When the First Imperial Duma appears in May 1906, what political parties form along with it?
3. Catherine the Great is German, not Russian. How does she become Empress of Russia?
4. After Stolypin and Kokovtsov each have personal interviews with Rasputin when they are in office, what happens to them?
5. Which of Nicholas and Alexandra's daughters are characterized as outspoken, very sure of herself, and eager to go out into society?
6. On what pretext does Nicholas dissolve the Second Imperial Duma?
7. What do the old women in the crowd observing Alexander III's funeral procession say of Alexandra, who rides alone and behind the rest of the family?
8. When the royal yacht, the Standart, strikes a rock during a cruise, why doesn't it sink?
9. When Alexis injures himself at Spala, who comes from St. Petersburg to help him?
10. What outdoor activities does Alexis want to engage in but can not due to his hemophilia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the text, explain and analyze how Alexandra's belief that Rasputin is a representative from God who miraculously heals her son enables Rasputin to take advantage of her, as well as Alexis' hemophilia, in order to gain influence in and, eventually, control over Russia's government.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Nicholas' and Alexandra's contributions to the Russian monarchy, especially how they choose to deal with the beginning of its decline and the growing power of the revolutionaries, with Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna's prediction that Nicholas and Alexandra's inadequacies as rulers make them the last generation of Romanov rulers. Demonstrate whether or not the Grand Duchess is correct in her analysis of Nicholas and Alexandra as inadequate rulers.
Essay Topic 3
Using the text, analyze and demonstrate whether or not Russia's becoming a constitutional monarchy in October 1905 strengthens the revolutionaries and enable the ultimate collapse of the monarchy at their hands.
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)