Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After an attempt by his organization to give a petition to the Tsar failed, what happens to Father Gapon?
2. In what month and year is Nicholas II crowned Tsar?
3. Russia's 1905 defeat in the Straits of Tsushima shapes its naval strategy for which future war?
4. Nicholas and Alexandra's first home is at the palace in:
5. Who is Nicholas' most important tutor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What secret information is found in Alexandra's papers after the abdication? Who is authorized to have copies of this information?
2. During the sixteen months Nicholas is at either Stavka or the front, Alexandra is in charge of the administrative functions of the government. What is the result of Alexandra's leadership?
3. How does Rasputin believe that people came to be forgiven of their sins?
4. After visiting Rasputin for an illness, what conclusion does Felix Yussoupov draw about him?
5. As the soldiers guarding the Romanovs in Tyumen come to understand the meaning of the revolution, how do their attitudes toward the Romanovs change?
6. During the summer of 1912, while the family is at their hunting lodge in Spala, how does Alexis incur the hemorrhage in his groin and thigh that nearly kills him?
7. When Colonel Kobylinsky is placed in charge of the Romanovs, how does the way in which they are treated change?
8. What Russian institutions do Peter the Great develop?
9. To what is the collapse of the Russian monarchy near the end of World War I ultimately attributed?
10. After the revolution, 630 letters from Alexandra to Nicholas, written while Nicholas is at the Stavka, are found in Ekaterinburg. What do the letters contain?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and explain how the Tsar's reaction to and handling of the Assembly of Russian Workingmen strike that begins at the Putilov Steel Works and ends in bloodshed on "Bloody Sunday," January 22, 1905, change people's attitudes toward the Tsar and strengthen the revolutionary movement instead of quelling it as the Tsar hopes. Support your remarks with the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characteristics of Russia's autocratic monarchy with those of its constitutional monarchy, and analyze whether or not Nicholas' attempt to hold onto as much autocracy as possible after the passage of the Imperial Manifesto contributes to the end of the Romanov dynasty and, therefore, Russia's monarchy. Back up your work with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Using the text, explain and analyze how Alexandra's belief that Rasputin is a representative from God who miraculously heals her son enables Rasputin to take advantage of her, as well as Alexis' hemophilia, in order to gain influence in and, eventually, control over Russia's government.
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)