|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date is Alexis, the male heir to the throne of Russia, born?
2. What beneficial effect does Alexandra believe Rasputin has on Alexis?
3. What happens to the monk Iliodor after his attempts to confront Rasputin about his immorality fail?
4. What does Russia's government receive on October 30, 1905?
5. What type of economy does Russia have in 1906, when Peter Stolypin becomes prime minister of Russia?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Imperial Park at Tsarskoe Selo is the site of which two Russian palaces?
2. How does the Russo-Japanese war end?
3. What begins to appear in public after Iliodor and his supporters are sent into seclusion?
4. Why do Russian Easter celebrations include large banquets?
5. How is Queen Victoria believed to have become a carrier of the hemophilia gene?
6. When World War I begins, why do Nicholas and Alexandra travel to Moscow?
7. How does Austria's Archduke Ferdinand wind up being assassinated by Serbian revolutionaries, in spite of a route revision after his speech that is designed to keep him out of danger?
8. After Stolypin and Kokovtsov each have personal interviews with Rasputin when they are in office, what happens to them?
9. On what pretext does Nicholas dissolve the Second Imperial Duma?
10. What do the old women in the crowd observing Alexander III's funeral procession say of Alexandra, who rides alone and behind the rest of the family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the text, explain and analyze how Alexandra's belief that Rasputin is a representative from God who miraculously heals her son enables Rasputin to take advantage of her, as well as Alexis' hemophilia, in order to gain influence in and, eventually, control over Russia's government.
Essay Topic 2
The reason why Felix Yussoupov and his co-conspirators assassinate Rasputin is to try to save the monarchy. Using the text, analyze and explain why, and how, his assassination actually ends up contributing to the revolutionary cause and to the collapse of the monarchy.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Nicholas' and Alexandra's contributions to the Russian monarchy, especially how they choose to deal with the beginning of its decline and the growing power of the revolutionaries, with Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna's prediction that Nicholas and Alexandra's inadequacies as rulers make them the last generation of Romanov rulers. Demonstrate whether or not the Grand Duchess is correct in her analysis of Nicholas and Alexandra as inadequate rulers.
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)