|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What church is the main Christian influence in Nicholas' country?
2. What does the Tsar change the name of St. Petersburg to on August 31, 1914?
3. What are the names of Alexis' bodyguards?
4. Alexis' illness _________ alter the household routine.
5. What happens to the monk Iliodor after his attempts to confront Rasputin about his immorality fail?
Short Essay Questions
1. When World War I begins, why do Nicholas and Alexandra travel to Moscow?
2. After the Archduke's assassination, Austria presents an ultimatum to Serbia, to which it expects a response within forty-eight hours in order to prevent it declaring war upon Serbia. What demands do Austria's ultimatum place upon Serbia?
3. In the Russian system of autocracy, to whom is the Tsar responsible?
4. Why does a riot that kills hundreds of people take place in Moscow, and at what event, on the day following Nicholas' coronation?
5. When Alexis injures himself at Spala, who comes from St. Petersburg to help him?
6. What does Nicholas' tutor, Pobedonostsev, believe the only way to achieve national unity in Russia is? What does he believe is done in the event of opposition?
7. How does the Russo-Japanese war end?
8. Why do Russian Easter celebrations include large banquets?
9. What begins to appear in public after Iliodor and his supporters are sent into seclusion?
10. On what pretext does Nicholas dissolve the Second Imperial Duma?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the views and philosophies of Lenin's Bolsheviks with Plekhanov's Mensheviks, and analyze--using the text as backup--why Lenin and the Bolshevik views prevailed over Plekhanov and the Mensheviks.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Nicholas' and Alexandra's contributions to the Russian monarchy, especially how they choose to deal with the beginning of its decline and the growing power of the revolutionaries, with Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna's prediction that Nicholas and Alexandra's inadequacies as rulers make them the last generation of Romanov rulers. Demonstrate whether or not the Grand Duchess is correct in her analysis of Nicholas and Alexandra as inadequate rulers.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and demonstrate how Nicholas' agreement to the Imperial Manifesto and the establishment of the Duma (Russia's Parliament) both enable the revolutionaries and hasten the collapse of the Russian monarchy. Use the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)