Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After an attempt by his organization to give a petition to the Tsar failed, what happens to Father Gapon?
2. In what month and year is Nicholas II crowned Tsar?
3. Russia's 1905 defeat in the Straits of Tsushima shapes its naval strategy for which future war?
4. Nicholas and Alexandra's first home is at the palace in:
5. Who is Nicholas' most important tutor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What secret information is found in Alexandra's papers after the abdication? Who is authorized to have copies of this information?
2. During the sixteen months Nicholas is at either Stavka or the front, Alexandra is in charge of the administrative functions of the government. What is the result of Alexandra's leadership?
3. How does Rasputin believe that people came to be forgiven of their sins?
4. After visiting Rasputin for an illness, what conclusion does Felix Yussoupov draw about him?
5. As the soldiers guarding the Romanovs in Tyumen come to understand the meaning of the revolution, how do their attitudes toward the Romanovs change?
6. During the summer of 1912, while the family is at their hunting lodge in Spala, how does Alexis incur the hemorrhage in his groin and thigh that nearly kills him?
7. When Colonel Kobylinsky is placed in charge of the Romanovs, how does the way in which they are treated change?
8. What Russian institutions do Peter the Great develop?
9. To what is the collapse of the Russian monarchy near the end of World War I ultimately attributed?
10. After the revolution, 630 letters from Alexandra to Nicholas, written while Nicholas is at the Stavka, are found in Ekaterinburg. What do the letters contain?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characteristics of Russia's autocratic monarchy with those of its constitutional monarchy, and analyze whether or not Nicholas' attempt to hold onto as much autocracy as possible after the passage of the Imperial Manifesto contributes to the end of the Romanov dynasty and, therefore, Russia's monarchy. Back up your work with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the narrative's description, in chapter 5, of Nicholas' and Alexandra's attitudes about the coronation day and analyze whether or not these attitudes (Alexandra's in particular) foreshadow how they deal with later problems in their personal as well as political lives. Use the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the views and philosophies of Lenin's Bolsheviks with Plekhanov's Mensheviks, and analyze--using the text as backup--why Lenin and the Bolshevik views prevailed over Plekhanov and the Mensheviks.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)