|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Taxes on the sale of vodka contribute to the government _______________.
2. What does the jeweler Faberge make every Easter for Nicholas' wife and mother?
3. Nicholas presents his fiancee with jewels designed by:
4. What concept does Stolypin introduce to Russian society?
5. In what month and year is Nicholas II crowned Tsar?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the Archduke's assassination, Austria presents an ultimatum to Serbia, to which it expects a response within forty-eight hours in order to prevent it declaring war upon Serbia. What demands do Austria's ultimatum place upon Serbia?
2. Why is Alexandra so severely affected by Alexis' hemophilia?
3. What do the old women in the crowd observing Alexander III's funeral procession say of Alexandra, who rides alone and behind the rest of the family?
4. How does Austria's Archduke Ferdinand wind up being assassinated by Serbian revolutionaries, in spite of a route revision after his speech that is designed to keep him out of danger?
5. When World War I begins, why do Nicholas and Alexandra travel to Moscow?
6. Why does a riot that kills hundreds of people take place in Moscow, and at what event, on the day following Nicholas' coronation?
7. How does the Russo-Japanese war end?
8. How does Rasputin believe that people came to be forgiven of their sins?
9. The Imperial Park at Tsarskoe Selo is the site of which two Russian palaces?
10. When World War I begins, the Tsar is reluctant to become involved because Russia is not prepared for war. Why is Russia not prepared for war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the text to support your arguments, compare and contrast the ideologies of the Provisional Government that is established immediately after the revolution with those of the Bolsheviks, and explain why the Bolsheviks are so easily able to take control of Russia's government in the days and weeks following the revolution.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and explain how Nicholas and Alexandra's decision to keep Alexis' hemophilia a secret contributed to not only Alexandra's unpopularity with Russians but also to the downfall of the monarchy. Back up your arguments with citations from the text.
Essay Topic 3
By using the text as backup and comparing and contrasting Russian Orthodox and Lutheran beliefs, explain why women who marry into the Russian royal family convert to the Russian Orthodox faith, as Alix is required to do from the Lutheran faith in which she is raised.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)