|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which famous author wrote this about the loss of his cherished wife: "The first plunge of the knife into the flesh is felt again and again"?
2. Simone de Beauvoir once said, "Old age is life's ___________."
3. According to Viorst, what types of feelings are present in ALL friendships?
4. According to Otto Kernberg, adolescent romantic love is the normal, crucial beginning of what?
5. Levinson calls a mid-life crisis what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the fundamental tension in all man-woman marriages?
2. What impact does middle age tend to have on a marriage?
3. Viorst describes a sort of "opposites attract" type marriage relationship where each party meets a neurotic need of the other party. What did she call this type of arrangement?
4. What happens in our thirties, in relation to our parents?
5. What are a few of the difficulties of a marriage relationship mentioned in Chapter 13?
6. According to the book, why are friends so important?
7. What does Freud say about religious thoughts of an afterlife?
8. Other than a parent, what other things impact who a child becomes?
9. Which necessary loss is discussed in Chapter 12?
10. Name two of the stages of mourning that Viorst describes in Chapter 16.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the perception that our image of our mother as an all-loving, all-encompassing being with the reality of what most mother's really must be. Why do we all seem to have such idealistic perceptions of mothers as such selfless, loving beings? Are these perceptions based in some reality or just fantasy? How do these perceptions play out and affect who we become, our expectations for love in other relationships, etc.?
Essay Topic 2
Using the book as reference, discuss the most important aspects of aging. Based on where you are in life right now, how do you think you will age? What characteristics of yourself will become magnified, and which ones will dissipate?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the six types of friends outlined in Chapter 12. What are they named, what are their characteristics, and how are they different?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)