|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what form of internalization do we take on aspects of those we have loved?
2. What does the father in the poem referenced in Chapter 14 finally conclude?
3. Madame Bovary uses what metaphor to describe marriage?
4. According to Viorst, the different roles we assign ourselves keep life interesting and fluid, rather than _____________.
5. What type of relationship reinforces our self-knowledge, widens our worldview, and supports our self-esteem?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the proposal by the author that extended separation from a mother can result in permanent emotional damage in light of our societal structure. If, as the author proposes, our entire societal structure is called into question by a child's absolute need for his or her mother, in what ways would you go about restructuring our society? What changes would you make? How involved should government be? What role would churches and other community organizations play in shifting the priorities of an entire society?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the four developmental stages of childhood detailed in Chapter 10. How do these stages build upon one another? Must these stages happen in a sequential way, or can a person skip around within the stages?
Essay Topic 3
Chapter 14 discusses the theory that parents will do anything to protect their children and try to give them a better life than they themselves had. Discuss the various ways in which mothers, especially, try to make their children better people than themselves. Use examples from the book for support.
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)