|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Parents have trouble seeing their children as what?
2. What are the names of Viorst's three sons?
3. According to Chapter 14, parents suffer from the one of the following in a similar fashion to children.
4. Viorst quotes this book, written by Kathrin Perutz, in Chapter 13.
5. According to Viorst, "A new dream will arise when we begin to have our babies..." What is it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Other than a parent, what other things impact who a child becomes?
2. What are a few of the difficulties of a marriage relationship mentioned in Chapter 13?
3. What types of unexpected emotions can we feel towards friends? How do they impact our friendships?
4. What can happen as a result of a mother's fear that her child's psyche is fragile? How can this affect the child?
5. Viorst suggests two necessary losses in Chapter 14. Name one of them.
6. What does it mean if a child and mother aren't a good fit?
7. How does baggage from childhood put pressure on a marriage?
8. What happens in our thirties, in relation to our parents?
9. According to the book, why are friends so important?
10. Why does our focus shift in middle age to discovering our family's history?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the different times of life that are covered in the book. What is similar about them? What is different? What are some life lessons you can take away that may help you navigate the developmental stages you have yet to experience?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the six types of friends outlined in Chapter 12. What are they named, what are their characteristics, and how are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing the four developmental stages of childhood detailed in Chapter 10. How do these stages build upon one another? Must these stages happen in a sequential way, or can a person skip around within the stages?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)