Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Viorst says, "Losing is the price we pay for __________."
2. Who else, besides mothers, links separation and danger?
3. Which recent development does Viorst think is a positive new step toward good death?
4. Who once said, "God ordains that every genius shall have an illness at forty"?
5. Simone de Beauvoir once said, "Old age is life's ___________."
Compare and contrast the perception that our image of our mother as an all-loving, all-encompassing being with the reality of what most mother's really must be. Why do we all seem to have such idealistic perceptions of mothers as such selfless, loving beings? Are these perceptions based in some reality or just fantasy? How do these perceptions play out and affect who we become, our expectations for love in other relationships, etc.?
Chapter 14 discusses the theory that parents will do anything to protect their children and try to give them a better life than they themselves had. Discuss the various ways in which mothers, especially, try to make their children better people than themselves. Use examples from the book for support.
Write an essay describing the four developmental stages of childhood detailed in Chapter 10. How do these stages build upon one another? Must these stages happen in a sequential way, or can a person skip around within the stages?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)