|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chapter 8, what does modern science say that all mammals start out as?
2. Who said, "To be a man, a woman, an adult, is to accept responsibility"?
3. There are _______ unanswered questions about the innate differences between the sexes.
4. Freud said that every dream contains what?
5. What happens when children see their mothers as all good or all bad?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are we afraid of fantasies that portray socially unacceptable behavior?
2. Why do psychologists think the "Mommy and I Are One" experiments worked?
3. Why is Chapter 1 entitled, "The High Cost of Separation"?
4. Why were Hansel and Gretel so close to each other relationally?
5. Why does sibling rivalry tend to diminish with age?
6. Why do we have fantasies?
7. Denying hate prevents what, according to Winicott?
8. Who first discovered the Oedipus complex? How did he/she describe it?
9. Excessive punishment of ourselves rests on the illusion of what?
10. What support does Viorst give to the Cinderella Complex?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Viorst describes various types of guilt throughout Chapter 9. Describe what they are, how they differ, and whether each one serves to help us or negatively impact us.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the process of us becoming our own person. How is our identity primarily formed? What pitfalls may we encounter along the way? How do our parents influence the process? Do they hinder or encourage the discovery of our primary self?
Essay Topic 3
Chapter 15 talks about the "corporate characteristic" of families, specifically mentioning the Bachs and the Kennedys. Explore this idea of family identity and myths. Using support from the book, in what ways is it helpful for families? In what ways could it be problematic? Consider your own experience and whether your family or friends' families have a "corporate characteristic."
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)