|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does it become clear to the child that his needs are different than his mother's?
2. Viorst states, "All of us, to some degree, are _______________."
3. How does Viorst purport that we form an identification of "I"?
4. Why does Viorst think some people fear success?
5. In Chapter 8, the author discusses another "necessary loss." Which one is it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Viorst lists many things that healthy adults know. Name two.
2. Growing up means what, according to Chapter 10?
3. According to Viorst, why is it okay to have fantasies that are inappropriate if they aren't acted upon?
4. What support does Viorst give to the Cinderella Complex?
5. Why do we have fantasies?
6. Why were Hansel and Gretel so close to each other relationally?
7. What does our superego have to do with resolving the Oedipus complex?
8. What happens when we do not behave in accordance with our conscience?
9. Endocrinologist Estelle Ramey uses what example to support her theory that virtually all differences between male and female are cultural?
10. Why did Freud name it the Oedipus complex?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the six types of friends outlined in Chapter 12. What are they named, what are their characteristics, and how are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Examining the many negative traits of marriage discussed in Chapter 13, arrive at a personal conclusion as to whether the marriage relationship is worth the effort or not. Support your stance with examples from the book and your real life experiences.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast normal/healthy mourning with that of chronic mourning, according to the book. How are they similar? What is different about the process of chronic mourning? Can grief be resolved through either process?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)