|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the anecdote about the holy man painting a portrait for a king, who ends up being revealed in the painting?
2. In the example of a woman dreaming of a German Nazi officer, she is really associating with what?
3. Some children develop a false self from what type of parenting?
4. According to Viorst, grown-up love must begin with what?
5. Sigmund Freud once said, "When you meet a human being, the first distinction you make is ______________?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Who first discovered the Oedipus complex? How did he/she describe it?
2. Using an example from the book, describe ways in which the Oedipus complex can play out in the lives of adults.
3. Despite a constant desire for independence, why do young children keep coming back to their mothers?
4. Why are we afraid of fantasies that portray socially unacceptable behavior?
5. The term "penis envy" can sound quite ridiculous, but Viorst points out that it takes on many metaphorical meanings. What are some of those possible symbolic meanings?
6. Rather than be trapped in mourning for what we did not get as children, what does the author propose we do?
7. Endocrinologist Estelle Ramey uses what example to support her theory that virtually all differences between male and female are cultural?
8. Why does J.D. Salinger's character from The Catcher in the Rye, Holden Caulfield, not want to grow up?
9. Why do we have fantasies?
10. Why does sibling rivalry tend to diminish with age?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 15 talks about the "corporate characteristic" of families, specifically mentioning the Bachs and the Kennedys. Explore this idea of family identity and myths. Using support from the book, in what ways is it helpful for families? In what ways could it be problematic? Consider your own experience and whether your family or friends' families have a "corporate characteristic."
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 11 details the positive and negative aspects of our dreams and fantasies. Compare and contrast fantasy versus reality using ideas from the book. How are they similar? How are they different? Do they serve the same purpose?
Essay Topic 3
What important steps in human development take place at middle age? Discuss how we continue to define who we are through this process.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)