|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a mother rejects a child's need for dependence and pushes them out of the nest too soon, what can happen?
2. What does Viorst explain we are trying to accomplish when we try to "undo' the separation from our mother?
3. The idea that we are all in love with the parent of the opposite sex is known as what?
4. According to Chapter 7, our adult sexuality is in response to what?
5. In the anecdote about the holy man painting a portrait for a king, who ends up being revealed in the painting?
Short Essay Questions
1. The term "penis envy" can sound quite ridiculous, but Viorst points out that it takes on many metaphorical meanings. What are some of those possible symbolic meanings?
2. Excessive punishment of ourselves rests on the illusion of what?
3. Why did Art Buchwald, journalist and friend of the author, say that he understands about "scars on the brain"?
4. Why do we have fantasies?
5. Endocrinologist Estelle Ramey uses what example to support her theory that virtually all differences between male and female are cultural?
6. Why did Freud name it the Oedipus complex?
7. Rather than be trapped in mourning for what we did not get as children, what does the author propose we do?
8. Despite a constant desire for independence, why do young children keep coming back to their mothers?
9. What support does Viorst give to the Cinderella Complex?
10. Discuss some of the means, covered in Chapter 2, by which we attempt to restore oneness with our mothers.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Our desire to have our parents' love all to ourselves is often most obviously expressed after the birth of a sibling. Discuss the ways in which children try to cope and deal with these strong feelings. Be sure to use stories and support from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Examining the many negative traits of marriage discussed in Chapter 13, arrive at a personal conclusion as to whether the marriage relationship is worth the effort or not. Support your stance with examples from the book and your real life experiences.
Essay Topic 3
Using support from the book, discuss whether the differences between males and females are innate or cultural.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)