|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Viorst describe the first loss we experience as humans?
2. Viorst feels our sexual nature comes from where?
3. Sigmund Freud once said, "When you meet a human being, the first distinction you make is ______________?"
4. There are _______ unanswered questions about the innate differences between the sexes.
5. "Our conscience is our _____________ installed in our mind."
Short Essay Questions
1. What does our superego have to do with resolving the Oedipus complex?
2. Why do psychologists think the "Mommy and I Are One" experiments worked?
3. Why did Art Buchwald, journalist and friend of the author, say that he understands about "scars on the brain"?
4. What support does Viorst give to the Cinderella Complex?
5. What happens when we do not behave in accordance with our conscience?
6. Describe the four stages of standing alone.
7. Why are we afraid of fantasies that portray socially unacceptable behavior?
8. According to Chapter 9, what kind of person lacks guilt?
9. According to Freud, what is the age of latency?
10. Briefly describe the difference between infantile love, immature love, and mature love.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 14 discusses the theory that parents will do anything to protect their children and try to give them a better life than they themselves had. Discuss the various ways in which mothers, especially, try to make their children better people than themselves. Use examples from the book for support.
Essay Topic 2
Our desire to have our parents' love all to ourselves is often most obviously expressed after the birth of a sibling. Discuss the ways in which children try to cope and deal with these strong feelings. Be sure to use stories and support from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing the four developmental stages of childhood detailed in Chapter 10. How do these stages build upon one another? Must these stages happen in a sequential way, or can a person skip around within the stages?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)