Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As children, Viorst thinks we test reality with what?
2. De-identification can help siblings feel superior in different ways, but it can also lead to what negative result?
3. According to Chapter 11, we sometimes fear that our fantasies can do what?
4. As a result of unconscious guilt, criminals sometimes do what?
5. According to Freud, when does the age of latency occur?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name two of the stages of mourning that Viorst describes in Chapter 16.
2. According to Chapter 17, what redefines us throughout our lives?
3. What did Alfred Adler note about the relationship between siblings and how it influences who we become as adults?
4. Who first discovered the Oedipus complex? How did he/she describe it?
5. What support does Viorst give to the Cinderella Complex?
6. When a child sees a mother as all-good or all-bad, how can this affect their future relationships?
7. Other than a parent, what other things impact who a child becomes?
8. Name the five stages of dying described by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross. Briefly describe each stage.
9. Why are we afraid of fantasies that portray socially unacceptable behavior?
10. What does it mean if a child and mother aren't a good fit?
Essay Topic 1
What important steps in human development take place at middle age? Discuss how we continue to define who we are through this process.
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 14 discusses the theory that parents will do anything to protect their children and try to give them a better life than they themselves had. Discuss the various ways in which mothers, especially, try to make their children better people than themselves. Use examples from the book for support.
Essay Topic 3
Using the book as reference, discuss the most important aspects of aging. Based on where you are in life right now, how do you think you will age? What characteristics of yourself will become magnified, and which ones will dissipate?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)