|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Viorst think some people fear success?
2. Some children develop a false self from what type of parenting?
3. In the example of a woman dreaming of a German Nazi officer, she is really associating with what?
4. Sibling rivalry tends to do what as we get older?
5. According to Chapter 7, our adult sexuality is in response to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. The term "penis envy" can sound quite ridiculous, but Viorst points out that it takes on many metaphorical meanings. What are some of those possible symbolic meanings?
2. Despite a constant desire for independence, why do young children keep coming back to their mothers?
3. Viorst describes a sort of "opposites attract" type marriage relationship where each party meets a neurotic need of the other party. What did she call this type of arrangement?
4. Discuss some of the means, covered in Chapter 2, by which we attempt to restore oneness with our mothers.
5. In thinking about losses as a lifelong theme, name some of the juxtapositions that Viorst discusses in Chapter 20.
6. Why is Chapter 1 entitled, "The High Cost of Separation"?
7. Denying hate prevents what, according to Winicott?
8. How did Viorst's three friends approach death differently?
9. When a child sees a mother as all-good or all-bad, how can this affect their future relationships?
10. Describe the four stages of standing alone.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It seems as though everyone wants to live on beyond their physical life. Discuss ways in which people can live on after their death. Use support from the book and personal experiences. How would you hope to live on beyond death?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast normal/healthy mourning with that of chronic mourning, according to the book. How are they similar? What is different about the process of chronic mourning? Can grief be resolved through either process?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing the four developmental stages of childhood detailed in Chapter 10. How do these stages build upon one another? Must these stages happen in a sequential way, or can a person skip around within the stages?
This section contains 1,722 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)