|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Viorst, "A new dream will arise when we begin to have our babies..." What is it?
(a) The dream of keeping them safe from harm.
(b) The dream of them moving out and going to college.
(c) The dream of creating an amazing and perfect human.
(d) The dream of them becoming successful.
2. According to Chapter 13, there can be no human love without what?
(a) Passion and romance.
(b) A caring parental relationship.
3. Viorst's poem, "I bring the children one more glass of water," is about what?
(a) The anxieties of going to sleep as a child.
(b) A dream of helping children find clean water.
(c) Sex not being so sexy anymore.
(d) Being an overworked mother.
4. Who said, "In erotic love, two people who were separate become one. In motherly love, two people who were one become separate."
(a) Sigmund Freud
(b) Harriet Lerner
(c) Erich Fromm
(d) Ingrid Bergman
5. Parents have trouble seeing their children as what?
(a) Competent humans.
(b) A part of themselves.
(c) Separate people.
(d) Anything but perfect.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Viorst, in middle age we inspire far less ________ than we do ___________.
2. Which of the following psychoanalysts said we create religion to "exorcise the terrors" of nature?
3. What is the key achievement of mid-life according to Viorst?
4. In what form of internalization do we take on aspects of those we have loved?
5. According to Chapter 12, growing up involves giving up what illusion?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)