|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to a psychologist in Chapter 13, husbands and wives are each other's what?
(a) Intimate enemies.
(b) Coping mechanism.
(c) Greatest lovers.
(d) Best friends.
2. In Chapter 16, Viorst quotes which psychologist who wrote the book Loss?
(a) Erik Erikson.
(b) John Bowlby.
(c) Erich Fromm.
(d) Jean Piaget.
3. Chapter 18 refers to which famous character as the ultimate retiree?
(a) King Lear.
4. What type of relationship reinforces our self-knowledge, widens our worldview, and supports our self-esteem?
(b) The parent-child relationship.
(c) A mentoring relationship.
5. According to Viorst, what types of feelings are present in ALL friendships?
(a) Reserved feelings.
(b) Feelings of love.
(c) Sad feelings.
(d) Competitive feelings.
Short Answer Questions
1. A capacity to feel pleasure in the pleasures of other people is an example of what?
2. Who said, "In erotic love, two people who were separate become one. In motherly love, two people who were one become separate."
3. Which famous author's daughter suddenly died at the age of 24?
4. How many stages are there in the journey towards death according to Kubler-Ross?
5. According to Otto Kernberg, adolescent romantic love is the normal, crucial beginning of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the different types of loss and mourning discussed in Chapter 16? Do we experience them all in the same way?
2. According to Freud, is it unusual to have sexual feelings toward friends? How does this impact our friendships with the opposite sex?
3. Viorst suggests two necessary losses in Chapter 14. Name one of them.
4. What is the fundamental tension in all man-woman marriages?
5. What does Freud say about religious thoughts of an afterlife?
6. Why does our focus shift in middle age to discovering our family's history?
7. According to the book, why are friends so important?
8. Other than a parent, what other things impact who a child becomes?
9. What are a few of the difficulties of a marriage relationship mentioned in Chapter 13?
10. What does it mean if a child and mother aren't a good fit?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)