|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which famous author wrote this about the loss of his cherished wife: "The first plunge of the knife into the flesh is felt again and again"?
(a) Victor Hugo.
(b) C.S. Lewis.
(c) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(d) Charles Dickens.
2. Viorst details which famous baby doctor in Chapter 18?
(a) Benjamin Spock.
(b) B. F. Skinner.
(c) Bill Sears.
(d) T. Berry Brazelton.
3. What is the name of Elisabeth Kubler-Ross's highly influential book?
(a) O, Death, Be Mine.
(b) Death Comes for the Archbishop.
(c) The Last Cattle Call.
(d) On Death and Dying.
4. Intimate male-female relationships are rare because of what?
(a) The sexual tension.
(b) The adultery factor.
(c) Socially unacceptable norms.
(d) Women would just rather talk to other women.
5. Simone de Beauvoir once said, "Old age is life's ___________."
(a) Final act.
(b) Cruel joke.
(c) Swan song.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chapter 20, Viorst is living on what to beat her middle-aged spread?
2. According to Otto Kernberg, adolescent romantic love is the normal, crucial beginning of what?
3. Who was Viorst describing when she said they fought death like a championship game?
4. What are we often unaware of that we bring with us into a marriage?
5. Which sex tends to have only superficial relationships?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it mean if a child and mother aren't a good fit?
2. What happens in our thirties, in relation to our parents?
3. What impact does middle age tend to have on a marriage?
4. Which necessary loss is discussed in Chapter 12?
5. According to Chapter 17, what redefines us throughout our lives?
6. How does baggage from childhood put pressure on a marriage?
7. According to the book, when does the way we will handle aging begin?
8. What are a few of the difficulties of a marriage relationship mentioned in Chapter 13?
9. What types of unexpected emotions can we feel towards friends? How do they impact our friendships?
10. Viorst suggests two necessary losses in Chapter 14. Name one of them.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)