|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Viorst thinks about development as a lifelong series of what?
(a) Necessary losses.
2. What is the name of the son in Death of a Salesman that Viorst uses as an example of the restricting roles some parents foist on their children?
3. Which famous author's daughter suddenly died at the age of 24?
(a) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(b) Mark Twain.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) John Steinbeck.
4. Who else, besides mothers, links separation and danger?
5. According to Chapter 20, Viorst is living on what to beat her middle-aged spread?
(b) Weight Watchers.
(d) Lean Cuisine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Men pursue ______________; women yearn for _______________.
2. What does the father in the poem referenced in Chapter 14 finally conclude?
3. Who once said, "God ordains that every genius shall have an illness at forty"?
4. Who said the following? "Now she is aware of some of the losses you incur by being here -- the extraordinary rent you have to pay as long as you stay."
5. What famous author's memoir entitled Speak, Memory does Viorst reference at the end of Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. Viorst suggests two necessary losses in Chapter 14. Name one of them.
2. Which necessary loss is discussed in Chapter 12?
3. What are a few of the difficulties of a marriage relationship mentioned in Chapter 13?
4. According to the book, when does the way we will handle aging begin?
5. Viorst describes a sort of "opposites attract" type marriage relationship where each party meets a neurotic need of the other party. What did she call this type of arrangement?
6. Why does our focus shift in middle age to discovering our family's history?
7. According to Chapter 17, what redefines us throughout our lives?
8. What is described as the ultimate separation in Chapter 18?
9. What are some of the different types of loss and mourning discussed in Chapter 16? Do we experience them all in the same way?
10. What does Freud say about religious thoughts of an afterlife?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)