|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Name the foiled romantic in Flaubert's Madame Bovary.
2. What does this line from a poem by Longfellow tell us about old age? "Goethe at Weimar, toiling to the last, Completed Faust when eighty years were past."
(a) Aging is hard work.
(b) Faust isn't very good because it was written by an elderly person.
(c) It's never too late.
(d) Goethe must have really enjoyed his work.
3. A man in his forties confessed to Viorst that he reviewed his life insurance policy after he was diagnosed with what?
(a) Heart disease.
(c) Tennis elbow.
4. What was the name of the married woman with four children, mentioned in Chapter 12, who formed a non-sexual friendship with another man?
5. Which famous author's daughter suddenly died at the age of 24?
(a) Mark Twain.
(b) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) John Steinbeck.
Short Answer Questions
1. The earliest text on the subject of aging came from where?
2. What is the name of the son in Death of a Salesman that Viorst uses as an example of the restricting roles some parents foist on their children?
3. Who was Viorst describing when she said they fought death like a championship game?
4. Which philosopher does Viorst quote in Chapter 14?
5. What are we often unaware of that we bring with us into a marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the book, why are friends so important?
2. What is the fundamental tension in all man-woman marriages?
3. What happens in our thirties, in relation to our parents?
4. Viorst suggests two necessary losses in Chapter 14. Name one of them.
5. Other than a parent, what other things impact who a child becomes?
6. Name two of the stages of mourning that Viorst describes in Chapter 16.
7. What impact does middle age tend to have on a marriage?
8. Name the five stages of dying described by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross. Briefly describe each stage.
9. What are a few of the difficulties of a marriage relationship mentioned in Chapter 13?
10. How does baggage from childhood put pressure on a marriage?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)