|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Simone de Beauvoir once said, "Old age is life's ___________."
(b) Final act.
(c) Swan song.
(d) Cruel joke.
2. What is the first phase of mourning discussed in Chapter 16?
(a) Endless crying.
(c) Renewed hope.
(d) Hatred of the person who left us.
3. According to Chapter 14, parents suffer from the one of the following in a similar fashion to children.
(a) Separation anxiety.
(b) Fear of abandonment.
(c) Insecurity about themselves.
(d) Oedipus complex.
4. The earliest text on the subject of aging came from where?
5. What are we often unaware of that we bring with us into a marriage?
(a) Our parent's relationship.
(b) The Oedipus complex.
(c) The unfinished business of childhood.
(d) Perfect love.
Short Answer Questions
1. Viorst quotes this book, written by Kathrin Perutz, in Chapter 13.
2. The following headline ran in what paper? "HER OUTSIDE PREOCCUPATION CAN LEAVE HIM ISOLATED AT TIME OF MORE LEISURE"
3. Viorst references The World According to Garp and a mishearing of this term by a child.
4. The title of Chapter 12 lists what?
5. What is the name of Elisabeth Kubler-Ross's highly influential book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Other than a parent, what other things impact who a child becomes?
2. How did Viorst's three friends approach death differently?
3. Viorst describes a sort of "opposites attract" type marriage relationship where each party meets a neurotic need of the other party. What did she call this type of arrangement?
4. Name the five stages of dying described by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross. Briefly describe each stage.
5. What is the fundamental tension in all man-woman marriages?
6. What types of unexpected emotions can we feel towards friends? How do they impact our friendships?
7. What happens in our thirties, in relation to our parents?
8. What is described as the ultimate separation in Chapter 18?
9. Why does our focus shift in middle age to discovering our family's history?
10. What does it mean if a child and mother aren't a good fit?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)