|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of relationship reinforces our self-knowledge, widens our worldview, and supports our self-esteem?
(b) The parent-child relationship.
(d) A mentoring relationship.
2. In this book, mentioned in Chapter 12, it is stated that despite sexual feelings toward friends of the same sex, individuals need not necessarily define themselves as "homosexual." What is the name of the book?
(a) My Friend Pat.
(b) Friends and Lovers in the College Years.
(c) Intimacy and Friendship Through College.
(d) Friends and Lovers for Life.
3. What was the name of the married woman with four children, mentioned in Chapter 12, who formed a non-sexual friendship with another man?
4. Name the foiled romantic in Flaubert's Madame Bovary.
5. Viorst says, "Losing is the price we pay for __________."
(c) Being human.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 18 refers to which famous character as the ultimate retiree?
2. How many stages are there in the journey towards death according to Kubler-Ross?
3. According to Viorst, the different roles we assign ourselves keep life interesting and fluid, rather than _____________.
4. What are we often unaware of that we bring with us into a marriage?
5. According to Chapter 20, Viorst is living on what to beat her middle-aged spread?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which necessary loss is discussed in Chapter 12?
2. How did Viorst's three friends approach death differently?
3. How does baggage from childhood put pressure on a marriage?
4. What does it mean if a child and mother aren't a good fit?
5. According to Chapter 17, what redefines us throughout our lives?
6. What happens in our thirties, in relation to our parents?
7. What types of unexpected emotions can we feel towards friends? How do they impact our friendships?
8. Name the five stages of dying described by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross. Briefly describe each stage.
9. Other than a parent, what other things impact who a child becomes?
10. What are a few of the difficulties of a marriage relationship mentioned in Chapter 13?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)