|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Viorst say we "need the controls provided by guilt"?
(a) To build relationships with other people.
(b) To live a healthy life.
(c) To take care of ourselves.
(d) To understand unhappiness.
2. Which two psychologists believe that the contacts between infant and mother produce a "deep libidinal pleasure"?
(a) Piaget and Spock.
(b) Jung and Adler.
(c) Skinner and Sullivan.
(d) Freud and Erikson.
3. Margaret Mead points out that we have labeled the Oedipal issue as a _______________.
(a) Ridiculous behavior.
(d) Valid response.
4. According to Viorst, grown-up love must begin with what?
(a) A mature understanding of self.
(b) Two grown adults.
(c) The separation of self from the other.
(d) An ability to forgive others.
5. Which of the answers below describes the stages and challenges of the life cycle according to Erik Erikson?
(a) The Five Cycles of a Human.
(b) The Eight Ages of Man.
(c) The Four Periods of Growth.
(d) The Twelve Stages of Life.
Short Answer Questions
1. Viorst feels our sexual nature comes from where?
2. Mrs. C slept in the same bed as her mother until she was how old?
3. According to Chapter 9, how do we eventually resolve the Oedipus complex?
4. Chapter 11 discusses our what?
5. What Christmas gift caused Brooke Hayward so much anguish when asked if her little sister could play with it?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author propose that some men compensate for their envy of a woman's ability to have children?
2. Why did Freud name it the Oedipus complex?
3. According to Freud, what is the age of latency?
4. Why did Art Buchwald, journalist and friend of the author, say that he understands about "scars on the brain"?
5. Despite a constant desire for independence, why do young children keep coming back to their mothers?
6. Why do children experience sibling rivalry?
7. According to Chapter 9, what kind of person lacks guilt?
8. What does our superego have to do with resolving the Oedipus complex?
9. Briefly describe the difference between infantile love, immature love, and mature love.
10. Who first discovered the Oedipus complex? How did he/she describe it?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)