|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the personality that evolves when a child cannot trust their own feelings and takes on the personality traits of others?
(a) "Borderline personality."
(b) "Chameleon personality."
(c) "Shifting personality."
(d) "As-if personality."
2. Viorst feels our sexual nature comes from where?
(a) It is formed in our mind.
(b) It comes from our DNA.
(c) It is inborn and shaped by our environment.
(d) It comes from the messages around us.
3. What was the title of Delia Ephron's book about adolescent angst referenced in Chapter 10?
(a) Teen Infatuation.
(b) Teenage Romance.
(c) Romantic Teens.
(d) Puppy Love.
4. According to Chapter 8, it is believed that girls have a greater _______________ ability as opposed to boys.
5. Winnicott argues that denying _____ prevents "the developing child from facing and learning to tolerate" this emotion in themselves.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Viorst, siblings destroy our dream of what?
2. Viorst states, "All of us, to some degree, are _______________."
3. Why does Viorst say we "need the controls provided by guilt"?
4. According to Viorst, what is one of our first treasures that we don't want to share?
5. Which two psychologists believe that the contacts between infant and mother produce a "deep libidinal pleasure"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Other than a parent, what other things impact who a child becomes?
2. According to Chapter 9, what kind of person lacks guilt?
3. What types of unexpected emotions can we feel towards friends? How do they impact our friendships?
4. Why do we have fantasies?
5. Why is Chapter 1 entitled, "The High Cost of Separation"?
6. According to psychoanalyst Margaret Mahler, what is our "psychological birth" ?
7. According to Freud, is it unusual to have sexual feelings toward friends? How does this impact our friendships with the opposite sex?
8. What is the fundamental tension in all man-woman marriages?
9. What are a few of the difficulties of a marriage relationship mentioned in Chapter 13?
10. Describe the four stages of standing alone.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)