|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when children see their mothers as all good or all bad?
(a) They form a very close relationship with their fathers.
(b) They compare everyone they meet to their mothers.
(c) They shun perfect and evil people alike, looking for complete mediocrity in the perfect mate.
(d) They split from relationships their whole life because they think in terms of black and white.
2. Escaping to an earlier stage of development in an effort to deal with socially unacceptable feelings toward a new sibling is called what?
(d) Two steps back.
3. Chapter 1 concludes by stating that the yearning to restore the bliss of mother-child oneness is _____________________.
(a) Satisfied upon entry into adulthood.
(b) Only quenched when we find another meaningful relationship.
(c) Never relinquished.
(d) Worse when we are sick or injured.
4. Viorst feels that in adulthood we may seek out the wanted parent in an effort to do what?
(a) Work through the feelings of childhood.
(b) Make the other parent jealous.
(c) Put an end to the inappropriate feelings once and for all.
(d) Win the battle over the other parent.
5. According to Art Buchwald, what are "the three worst words in the language"?
(a) Hebrew, orphan, asylum.
(b) Lonely, stray, hospital.
(c) Jewish, urchin, institution.
(d) Isolated, hopeless, angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a result of unconscious guilt, criminals sometimes do what?
2. The Cinderella Complex says that women are programmed for what?
3. The idea that we are all in love with the parent of the opposite sex is known as what?
4. When we allow some person or group to stand in place of our own conscience, this leads to what?
5. Chapter 5 states that even an average mother is perceived by a child as _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does our superego have to do with resolving the Oedipus complex?
2. What did Stanley Milgram's experiment reveal about people?
3. According to Freud, what is the age of latency?
4. Describe the four stages of standing alone.
5. Endocrinologist Estelle Ramey uses what example to support her theory that virtually all differences between male and female are cultural?
6. What did Alfred Adler note about the relationship between siblings and how it influences who we become as adults?
7. According to Viorst, why is it okay to have fantasies that are inappropriate if they aren't acted upon?
8. According to psychoanalyst Margaret Mahler, what is our "psychological birth" ?
9. Why did Art Buchwald, journalist and friend of the author, say that he understands about "scars on the brain"?
10. When a child sees a mother as all-good or all-bad, how can this affect their future relationships?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)