|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chapter 8, it is believed that girls have a greater _______________ ability as opposed to boys.
2. Which well-known psychologist noted that if a child can fight a sibling and win, he becomes a fighter. However, if he is not allowed to win, he will often not compete later in life?
(a) Alfred Adler.
(b) Erik Erikson.
(c) Jean Piaget.
(d) Lev Vygotsky.
3. In Chapter 8, the author discusses another "necessary loss." Which one is it?
(a) The loss of our heterosexuality.
(b) That we must let go in order to love.
(c) The limitations imposed on us due to our being male or female.
(d) The loss of the exclusive love of our mother.
4. Chapter 11 discusses our what?
(a) Sleeping patterns.
(b) Parents' expectations.
(c) Perception of reality.
5. Marvin and _______ experience great physical discomfort because of their unconscious guilt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two psychologists believe that the contacts between infant and mother produce a "deep libidinal pleasure"?
2. What is the name of the personality that evolves when a child cannot trust their own feelings and takes on the personality traits of others?
3. Margaret Mead points out that we have labeled the Oedipal issue as a _______________.
4. How does Viorst purport that we form an identification of "I"?
5. What was the name of the girl's club that Viorst's neighbor Amy belonged to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are we afraid of fantasies that portray socially unacceptable behavior?
2. Using an example from the book, describe ways in which the Oedipus complex can play out in the lives of adults.
3. Why do we have fantasies?
4. According to Freud, what is the age of latency?
5. What support does Viorst give to the Cinderella Complex?
6. What happens when we do not behave in accordance with our conscience?
7. Growing up means what, according to Chapter 10?
8. Briefly describe the difference between infantile love, immature love, and mature love.
9. Excessive punishment of ourselves rests on the illusion of what?
10. Why did Freud name it the Oedipus complex?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)