|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chapter 11, we sometimes fear that our fantasies can do what?
(a) Make us mean.
(b) Have the power to control reality.
(c) Reveal the sick, depraved person we really are.
(d) Change us.
2. What was the name of the "weird little novel" mentioned by Viorst in Chapter 8?
(a) The Men's Club.
(b) The Moviegoer.
(c) The Catcher in the Rye.
(d) Confederacy of Dunces.
3. Who said, "To be a man, a woman, an adult, is to accept responsibility"?
(a) Antoine de Saint-Exupery
(b) Jean Valjean
(c) Victor Hugo
(d) Sigmund Freud
4. Escaping to an earlier stage of development in an effort to deal with socially unacceptable feelings toward a new sibling is called what?
(a) Two steps back.
5. As adults, we are able to see ourselves as in control, not as ___________.
(a) Mental patients.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chapter 7, our adult sexuality is in response to what?
2. Chapter 5 states that even an average mother is perceived by a child as _____________.
3. Viorst states that some oneness experiences can go too far and cause what?
4. According to Chapter 9, what feeling could be fear of the loss of our own love?
5. The Cinderella Complex says that women are programmed for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. The term "penis envy" can sound quite ridiculous, but Viorst points out that it takes on many metaphorical meanings. What are some of those possible symbolic meanings?
2. When a child sees a mother as all-good or all-bad, how can this affect their future relationships?
3. Why do psychologists think the "Mommy and I Are One" experiments worked?
4. What support does Viorst give to the Cinderella Complex?
5. What did Alfred Adler note about the relationship between siblings and how it influences who we become as adults?
6. According to Freud, what is the age of latency?
7. Briefly describe the difference between infantile love, immature love, and mature love.
8. Why is Chapter 1 entitled, "The High Cost of Separation"?
9. Why did Freud name it the Oedipus complex?
10. Endocrinologist Estelle Ramey uses what example to support her theory that virtually all differences between male and female are cultural?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)