|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Viorst feels that only through _____________ can "our loss be transcended."
2. What was the name of the girl's club that Viorst's neighbor Amy belonged to?
(a) No Boys Allowed.
(b) The Rainbow Fleet.
(c) Rainbows and Unicorns.
(d) Girls Rule.
3. Winnicott argues that denying _____ prevents "the developing child from facing and learning to tolerate" this emotion in themselves.
4. Mrs. C slept in the same bed as her mother until she was how old?
(a) 20 years old.
(b) 5 years old.
(c) 40 years old.
(d) 10 years old.
5. According to the book, the conscious daydreams that drift through our minds bring hints to us of what kind of world?
(a) A rogue, subterranean world.
(b) A magical, beautiful world.
(c) A just world.
(d) A perfect world.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first sentence of Chapter 1 states that, "Life begins with _______."
2. According to Viorst, which two abilities at which boys excel are the only ones based in scientific fact?
3. In the example of a woman dreaming of a German Nazi officer, she is really associating with what?
4. According to Chapter 8, it is believed that girls have a greater _______________ ability as opposed to boys.
5. Which two psychologists believe that the contacts between infant and mother produce a "deep libidinal pleasure"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does sibling rivalry tend to diminish with age?
2. Rather than be trapped in mourning for what we did not get as children, what does the author propose we do?
3. According to Chapter 9, what kind of person lacks guilt?
4. Despite a constant desire for independence, why do young children keep coming back to their mothers?
5. When a child sees a mother as all-good or all-bad, how can this affect their future relationships?
6. Why do children experience sibling rivalry?
7. Why were Hansel and Gretel so close to each other relationally?
8. Growing up means what, according to Chapter 10?
9. What did Stanley Milgram's experiment reveal about people?
10. Endocrinologist Estelle Ramey uses what example to support her theory that virtually all differences between male and female are cultural?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)