|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While in the hospital, a little boy who was set on fire by his mother is crying for whom?
(a) His nurse.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) His grandmother.
2. As children, Viorst thinks we test reality with what?
(a) Our actions.
(b) Our pretend play.
(c) Wishful thinking.
3. According to Chapter 8, what does modern science say that all mammals start out as?
4. What does Viorst explain we are trying to accomplish when we try to "undo' the separation from our mother?
(a) Proving we are competent individuals.
(b) Learning to accept and love ourselves.
(c) Seeking the unconditional love of our mother's arms.
(d) Vying for our father's affection.
5. Viorst feels our sexual nature comes from where?
(a) It is inborn and shaped by our environment.
(b) It comes from the messages around us.
(c) It comes from our DNA.
(d) It is formed in our mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. Name the experimental psychologist who convinced people it was acceptable to continue shocking subjects despite their response to pain.
2. Some primitive tribes have allowed their men to express what sort of envy?
3. In Chapter 8, the author discusses another "necessary loss." Which one is it?
4. Some children develop a false self from what type of parenting?
5. According to Viorst, which two abilities at which boys excel are the only ones based in scientific fact?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Freud name it the Oedipus complex?
2. According to psychoanalyst Margaret Mahler, what is our "psychological birth" ?
3. Excessive punishment of ourselves rests on the illusion of what?
4. What are the four stages of human development that many analysts agree upon and how are they similar to each other?
5. What happens when we do not behave in accordance with our conscience?
6. Why did Art Buchwald, journalist and friend of the author, say that he understands about "scars on the brain"?
7. Growing up means what, according to Chapter 10?
8. Why do psychologists think the "Mommy and I Are One" experiments worked?
9. According to Chapter 9, what kind of person lacks guilt?
10. Viorst lists many things that healthy adults know. Name two.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)