|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the answers below describes the stages and challenges of the life cycle according to Erik Erikson?
(a) The Eight Ages of Man.
(b) The Five Cycles of a Human.
(c) The Twelve Stages of Life.
(d) The Four Periods of Growth.
2. As a result of unconscious guilt, criminals sometimes do what?
(a) Hide thier crimes.
(b) Leave self-damaging evidence.
(d) Lie to authority figures.
3. In the study discussed in Chapter 8, how many school children were asked how their lives would be different if they woke up the next morning as the opposite sex?
4. According to Viorst, how often do families discuss sibling rivalry?
(a) Families discuss it frequently.
(b) Families discuss it only when there is a fight between siblings.
(c) Families do not discuss it at all.
(d) Families do not discuss it until the children are grown.
5. According to the book, the conscious daydreams that drift through our minds bring hints to us of what kind of world?
(a) A perfect world.
(b) A rogue, subterranean world.
(c) A magical, beautiful world.
(d) A just world.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Viorst think some people fear success?
2. The first sentence of Chapter 1 states that, "Life begins with _______."
3. Subliminal messages of "Mommy and I are one," have proven to result in what?
4. Marvin and _______ experience great physical discomfort because of their unconscious guilt.
5. Viorst feels that in adulthood we may seek out the wanted parent in an effort to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to psychoanalyst Margaret Mahler, what is our "psychological birth" ?
2. The term "penis envy" can sound quite ridiculous, but Viorst points out that it takes on many metaphorical meanings. What are some of those possible symbolic meanings?
3. Why do we have fantasies?
4. What did Stanley Milgram's experiment reveal about people?
5. Excessive punishment of ourselves rests on the illusion of what?
6. According to Viorst, why is it okay to have fantasies that are inappropriate if they aren't acted upon?
7. What are the four stages of human development that many analysts agree upon and how are they similar to each other?
8. Why does J.D. Salinger's character from The Catcher in the Rye, Holden Caulfield, not want to grow up?
9. Viorst lists many things that healthy adults know. Name two.
10. Why were Hansel and Gretel so close to each other relationally?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)