|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the necessary losses discussed in Chapter 3?
(a) To give up on being one with our mother.
(b) To give up our need for control.
(c) To give up the many identities we try out.
(d) To give up on the idea that we are independent beings.
2. The first sentence of Chapter 1 states that, "Life begins with _______."
3. How did Viorst fantasize about taking care of the bully who was bothering her son?
(a) Holding him up against a tree until he promised not to do it anymore.
(b) Shooting him.
(c) Shoving him in front of a truck.
(d) Talking to his parents.
4. Marvin and _______ experience great physical discomfort because of their unconscious guilt.
5. Henry David Thoreau's little isolated cabin was how far from his mother's house?
(a) Ten miles.
(b) One state away.
(c) One day on a horse.
(d) One mile.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the example of a woman dreaming of a German Nazi officer, she is really associating with what?
2. According to Chapter 7, our adult sexuality is in response to what?
3. According to Freud, when does the age of latency occur?
4. "Reality testing" means what?
5. Viorst feels our sexual nature comes from where?
Short Essay Questions
1. Rather than be trapped in mourning for what we did not get as children, what does the author propose we do?
2. According to Viorst, why is it okay to have fantasies that are inappropriate if they aren't acted upon?
3. Why did Freud name it the Oedipus complex?
4. Despite a constant desire for independence, why do young children keep coming back to their mothers?
5. What did Alfred Adler note about the relationship between siblings and how it influences who we become as adults?
6. Why is Chapter 1 entitled, "The High Cost of Separation"?
7. Why were Hansel and Gretel so close to each other relationally?
8. Why did Art Buchwald, journalist and friend of the author, say that he understands about "scars on the brain"?
9. What happens when we do not behave in accordance with our conscience?
10. Discuss some of the means, covered in Chapter 2, by which we attempt to restore oneness with our mothers.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)