|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Viorst, what are we all striving to be?
(a) A separate self.
(b) Someone who makes our mother proud.
(c) A well-adjusted adult.
(d) A narcissist.
2. How is it believed that infants perceive their needs in relation to their mother?
(a) Their needs are different than their mother's.
(b) Their needs are less than their mother's.
(c) Their needs are the same as their mother's.
(d) Their needs are greater than their mother's.
3. Mrs. C slept in the same bed as her mother until she was how old?
(a) 40 years old.
(b) 10 years old.
(c) 20 years old.
(d) 5 years old.
4. Drugs, communing with nature, religious experiences, and meditation are all ways in which people seek to what?
(a) Bridge the loss of oneness with our mother.
(b) Escape from the stress of everyday life.
(c) Reach a higher level of awareness.
(d) Fit in and find acceptance with others.
5. "It is __________ to grow up."
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the "weird little novel" mentioned by Viorst in Chapter 8?
2. When we allow some person or group to stand in place of our own conscience, this leads to what?
3. Why does Viorst say we "need the controls provided by guilt"?
4. According to Chapter 9, how do we eventually resolve the Oedipus complex?
5. At the end of Chapter 8, Margaret Mead uses what type of profession in her analogy about accepting what we were born with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does sibling rivalry tend to diminish with age?
2. Excessive punishment of ourselves rests on the illusion of what?
3. What are the four stages of human development that many analysts agree upon and how are they similar to each other?
4. Growing up means what, according to Chapter 10?
5. Why are we afraid of fantasies that portray socially unacceptable behavior?
6. Why were Hansel and Gretel so close to each other relationally?
7. Why is Chapter 1 entitled, "The High Cost of Separation"?
8. Describe the four stages of standing alone.
9. Why do psychologists think the "Mommy and I Are One" experiments worked?
10. What does our superego have to do with resolving the Oedipus complex?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)