|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Parents have trouble seeing their children as what?
(a) Anything but perfect.
(b) Separate people.
(c) A part of themselves.
(d) Competent humans.
2. What does this line from a poem by Longfellow tell us about old age? "Goethe at Weimar, toiling to the last, Completed Faust when eighty years were past."
(a) It's never too late.
(b) Goethe must have really enjoyed his work.
(c) Aging is hard work.
(d) Faust isn't very good because it was written by an elderly person.
3. What sort of thing did Selena's children no longer want her to do when they separated?
(a) Leave a note on their dresser.
(b) Set out their clothes.
(c) Hire a babysitter.
(d) Make a Travel Book.
4. Name the foiled romantic in Flaubert's Madame Bovary.
5. According to Viorst, the different roles we assign ourselves keep life interesting and fluid, rather than _____________.
6. Viorst contends that our unconscious sexual thoughts toward friends are masked as what?
(a) Concern, devotion, and affection.
(c) Flirtatious behavior.
(d) Ridicule and anger.
7. To what was Richard Steele referring in the following quote? "... the compleatest image of heaven and hell we are capable of receiving in this life."
8. What is it called when someone keeps everything just the same after someone dies?
(d) Untouched grief.
9. Who said the following? "Now she is aware of some of the losses you incur by being here -- the extraordinary rent you have to pay as long as you stay."
(a) George Eliot.
(b) Emily Dickinson.
(c) Virginia Woolf.
(d) Annie Dillard.
10. What is the first phase of mourning discussed in Chapter 16?
(a) Renewed hope.
(b) Endless crying.
(d) Hatred of the person who left us.
11. Which famous author's daughter suddenly died at the age of 24?
(a) John Steinbeck.
(b) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(c) Mark Twain.
(d) Ernest Hemingway.
12. What is the name of Elisabeth Kubler-Ross's highly influential book?
(a) Death Comes for the Archbishop.
(b) On Death and Dying.
(c) O, Death, Be Mine.
(d) The Last Cattle Call.
13. There are what number of friendships that Viorst labels in Chapter 12?
14. Men pursue ______________; women yearn for _______________.
(a) Deep relationships; one night stands.
(b) Excitement; safety.
(c) Autonomy; intimacy.
(d) Sex; cuddling.
15. A capacity to feel pleasure in the pleasures of other people is an example of what?
(a) Ego transcendence.
(b) Pleasure transfer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are we often unaware of that we bring with us into a marriage?
2. Which recent development does Viorst think is a positive new step toward good death?
3. In what form of internalization do we take on aspects of those we have loved?
4. Which famous author wrote this about the loss of his cherished wife: "The first plunge of the knife into the flesh is felt again and again"?
5. Intimate male-female relationships are rare because of what?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)