|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Madame Bovary uses what metaphor to describe marriage?
(a) A beautiful spring day spent in a field of wildflowers.
(b) An exquisite French dessert, delicious, but hard to create.
(c) A great rosy-plumaged bird soaring in the splendors of poetic skies.
(d) An intimate and joyful day on a private beach in Fiji.
2. Name the foiled romantic in Flaubert's Madame Bovary.
3. What is the key achievement of mid-life according to Viorst?
(a) Getting the children out of the house.
(b) Moving our parents to a nursing home.
(c) Letting loose and exploring unfulfilled dreams.
(d) Uniting ourselves with reality and achieving balance.
4. What are the names of Viorst's three sons?
(a) Shannon, Scott, and Brian
(b) Tony, John, and Robert
(c) Michael, William, and Henry
(d) Anthony, Nicholas, and Alexander
5. How many stages are there in the journey towards death according to Kubler-Ross?
6. Who was Viorst describing when she said they fought death like a championship game?
(a) Her sister, Lois.
(b) Her friend, Ruth.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her husband, Cecil.
7. What type of relationship reinforces our self-knowledge, widens our worldview, and supports our self-esteem?
(c) A mentoring relationship.
(d) The parent-child relationship.
8. A capacity to feel pleasure in the pleasures of other people is an example of what?
(a) Ego transcendence.
(d) Pleasure transfer.
9. Men pursue ______________; women yearn for _______________.
(a) Sex; cuddling.
(b) Autonomy; intimacy.
(c) Excitement; safety.
(d) Deep relationships; one night stands.
10. Which book referenced in Chapter 14 references the "good mother"?
(a) The World According to Garp by John Irving
(b) Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
(c) The Mother Knot by Jane Lazarre
(d) Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert.
11. The following headline ran in what paper? "HER OUTSIDE PREOCCUPATION CAN LEAVE HIM ISOLATED AT TIME OF MORE LEISURE"
(a) The Wall Street Journal.
(b) The Washington Post.
(c) The New York Times.
(d) The Chicago Tribune.
12. What is the first phase of mourning discussed in Chapter 16?
(a) Renewed hope.
(b) Hatred of the person who left us.
(d) Endless crying.
13. According to Viorst, in middle age we inspire far less ________ than we do ___________.
(a) Lust; respect.
(b) Hatred; love.
(c) Respect; pity.
(d) Admiration; annoyance.
14. Who said, "In erotic love, two people who were separate become one. In motherly love, two people who were one become separate."
(a) Ingrid Bergman
(b) Erich Fromm
(c) Harriet Lerner
(d) Sigmund Freud
15. According to Lillian Rubin, the sexual difference between men and women leads to what in a marriage relationship?
(a) A perfect partnership.
(b) Superficial friendship.
(c) Intimate strangers.
(d) Separation and divorce.
Short Answer Questions
1. Intimate male-female relationships are rare because of what?
2. Viorst details which famous baby doctor in Chapter 18?
3. Which recent development does Viorst think is a positive new step toward good death?
4. Which of the following psychoanalysts said we create religion to "exorcise the terrors" of nature?
5. Which famous author's daughter suddenly died at the age of 24?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)