|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which book referenced in Chapter 14 references the "good mother"?
(a) Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
(b) The World According to Garp by John Irving
(c) The Mother Knot by Jane Lazarre
(d) Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert.
2. Viorst's poem, "I bring the children one more glass of water," is about what?
(a) A dream of helping children find clean water.
(b) Sex not being so sexy anymore.
(c) The anxieties of going to sleep as a child.
(d) Being an overworked mother.
3. Parents have trouble seeing their children as what?
(a) Anything but perfect.
(b) A part of themselves.
(c) Competent humans.
(d) Separate people.
4. What sort of thing did Selena's children no longer want her to do when they separated?
(a) Make a Travel Book.
(b) Leave a note on their dresser.
(c) Set out their clothes.
(d) Hire a babysitter.
5. According to Lillian Rubin, the sexual difference between men and women leads to what in a marriage relationship?
(a) Separation and divorce.
(b) Superficial friendship.
(c) A perfect partnership.
(d) Intimate strangers.
6. To what was Richard Steele referring in the following quote? "... the compleatest image of heaven and hell we are capable of receiving in this life."
7. What is the name of the son in Death of a Salesman that Viorst uses as an example of the restricting roles some parents foist on their children?
8. What does the father in the poem referenced in Chapter 14 finally conclude?
(a) That his children will just grow up and go away.
(b) That he must let his children go.
(c) That he can indeed protect his children.
(d) That he never should have had children.
9. Viorst references The World According to Garp and a mishearing of this term by a child.
10. According to Viorst, what types of feelings are present in ALL friendships?
(a) Sad feelings.
(b) Competitive feelings.
(c) Feelings of love.
(d) Reserved feelings.
11. Viorst contends that our unconscious sexual thoughts toward friends are masked as what?
(b) Ridicule and anger.
(c) Flirtatious behavior.
(d) Concern, devotion, and affection.
12. According to Viorst, the different roles we assign ourselves keep life interesting and fluid, rather than _____________.
13. Madame Bovary uses what metaphor to describe marriage?
(a) An exquisite French dessert, delicious, but hard to create.
(b) A great rosy-plumaged bird soaring in the splendors of poetic skies.
(c) An intimate and joyful day on a private beach in Fiji.
(d) A beautiful spring day spent in a field of wildflowers.
14. The following headline ran in what paper? "HER OUTSIDE PREOCCUPATION CAN LEAVE HIM ISOLATED AT TIME OF MORE LEISURE"
(a) The Wall Street Journal.
(b) The New York Times.
(c) The Washington Post.
(d) The Chicago Tribune.
15. According to Chapter 14, parents suffer from the one of the following in a similar fashion to children.
(a) Fear of abandonment.
(b) Separation anxiety.
(c) Oedipus complex.
(d) Insecurity about themselves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are we often unaware of that we bring with us into a marriage?
2. In our middle years, we may seek to reconnect with our _____________.
3. What is the "corporate characteristic" that Viorst mentions in Chapter 15?
4. The earliest text on the subject of aging came from where?
5. How many stages are there in the journey towards death according to Kubler-Ross?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)