|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Viorst, the different roles we assign ourselves keep life interesting and fluid, rather than _____________.
2. Viorst contends that our unconscious sexual thoughts toward friends are masked as what?
(b) Concern, devotion, and affection.
(c) Ridicule and anger.
(d) Flirtatious behavior.
3. Viorst details which famous baby doctor in Chapter 18?
(a) Benjamin Spock.
(b) Bill Sears.
(c) T. Berry Brazelton.
(d) B. F. Skinner.
4. The title of Chapter 12 lists what?
(a) Types of friendships.
(b) Types of parenting styles.
(c) Types of adults.
(d) Types of teenagers.
5. What is the "corporate characteristic" that Viorst mentions in Chapter 15?
(a) A family's business or legacy.
(b) A family's collective character.
(c) A family's medical history.
(d) A family's community involvement.
6. To what was Richard Steele referring in the following quote? "... the compleatest image of heaven and hell we are capable of receiving in this life."
7. What type of relationship reinforces our self-knowledge, widens our worldview, and supports our self-esteem?
(c) The parent-child relationship.
(d) A mentoring relationship.
8. What are the names of Viorst's three sons?
(a) Anthony, Nicholas, and Alexander
(b) Tony, John, and Robert
(c) Shannon, Scott, and Brian
(d) Michael, William, and Henry
9. A man in his forties confessed to Viorst that he reviewed his life insurance policy after he was diagnosed with what?
(a) Tennis elbow.
(c) Heart disease.
10. Who once said, "God ordains that every genius shall have an illness at forty"?
(a) George Bernard Shaw.
(b) Mark Twain.
(c) Arthur Miller.
(d) Oscar Wilde.
11. In what form of internalization do we take on aspects of those we have loved?
12. What was the name of the married woman with four children, mentioned in Chapter 12, who formed a non-sexual friendship with another man?
13. Which famous family does Viorst mention in Chapter 15?
(a) The Carnegies.
(b) The Windsors.
(c) The Kennedys.
(d) The Vanderbilts.
14. Which book referenced in Chapter 14 references the "good mother"?
(a) Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert.
(b) Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
(c) The Mother Knot by Jane Lazarre
(d) The World According to Garp by John Irving
15. Name the foiled romantic in Flaubert's Madame Bovary.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which famous author's daughter suddenly died at the age of 24?
2. What is it called when someone keeps everything just the same after someone dies?
3. Men pursue ______________; women yearn for _______________.
4. According to Viorst, what types of feelings are present in ALL friendships?
5. Simone de Beauvoir once said, "Old age is life's ___________."
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)