Final Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Viorst says, "Losing is the price we pay for __________."
(a) Being human.
2. Who else, besides mothers, links separation and danger?
3. Which recent development does Viorst think is a positive new step toward good death?
(a) Doctor assisted death.
(b) Hospital good-byes.
(c) The hospice movement.
(d) Increased suicides of cancer patients.
4. Who once said, "God ordains that every genius shall have an illness at forty"?
(a) Mark Twain.
(b) Oscar Wilde.
(c) Arthur Miller.
(d) George Bernard Shaw.
5. Simone de Beauvoir once said, "Old age is life's ___________."
(a) Swan song.
(b) Final act.
(c) Cruel joke.
6. Name the foiled romantic in Flaubert's Madame Bovary.
7. Which three fictional characters discussed in the book does Viorst specifically mention in Chapter 20?
(a) Margaret, Alex Portnoy, King Lear
(b) Hamlet, Oedipus, Owen Meany
(c) Emma Bovary, Alex Portnoy, Ivan Ilych
(d) Holden Caulfield, Hamlet, Marlow
8. What is the name of the son in Death of a Salesman that Viorst uses as an example of the restricting roles some parents foist on their children?
9. According to Chapter 12, growing up involves giving up what illusion?
(a) That the universe revolves around us.
(b) That friendship is infallible.
(c) That our parents are perfect.
(d) That death is inevitable.
10. Viorst details which famous baby doctor in Chapter 18?
(a) T. Berry Brazelton.
(b) Benjamin Spock.
(c) Bill Sears.
(d) B. F. Skinner.
11. Viorst quotes this book, written by Kathrin Perutz, in Chapter 13.
(a) Heaven on Earth.
(b) I Hate You, Too.
(c) The Most Complicated Relationship.
(d) Marriage is Hell.
12. Men pursue ______________; women yearn for _______________.
(a) Deep relationships; one night stands.
(b) Autonomy; intimacy.
(c) Sex; cuddling.
(d) Excitement; safety.
13. Who said the following? "Now she is aware of some of the losses you incur by being here -- the extraordinary rent you have to pay as long as you stay."
(a) Annie Dillard.
(b) Emily Dickinson.
(c) Virginia Woolf.
(d) George Eliot.
14. According to Chapter 14, parents suffer from the one of the following in a similar fashion to children.
(a) Separation anxiety.
(b) Fear of abandonment.
(c) Insecurity about themselves.
(d) Oedipus complex.
15. In Chapter 16, Viorst quotes which psychologist who wrote the book Loss?
(a) Jean Piaget.
(b) Erik Erikson.
(c) John Bowlby.
(d) Erich Fromm.
Short Answer Questions
1. In this book, mentioned in Chapter 12, it is stated that despite sexual feelings toward friends of the same sex, individuals need not necessarily define themselves as "homosexual." What is the name of the book?
2. What are we often unaware of that we bring with us into a marriage?
3. Who said, "In erotic love, two people who were separate become one. In motherly love, two people who were one become separate."
4. What was the name of the married woman with four children, mentioned in Chapter 12, who formed a non-sexual friendship with another man?
5. The earliest text on the subject of aging came from where?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)