|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Viorst describing when she said they fought death like a championship game?
(a) Her friend, Ruth.
(b) Her husband, Cecil.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her sister, Lois.
2. How many stages are there in the journey towards death according to Kubler-Ross?
3. According to Viorst, the different roles we assign ourselves keep life interesting and fluid, rather than _____________.
4. In Chapter 16, Viorst quotes which psychologist who wrote the book Loss?
(a) Jean Piaget.
(b) John Bowlby.
(c) Erich Fromm.
(d) Erik Erikson.
5. Men pursue ______________; women yearn for _______________.
(a) Excitement; safety.
(b) Autonomy; intimacy.
(c) Deep relationships; one night stands.
(d) Sex; cuddling.
6. In Chapter 14, Viorst lists what about her hometown?
(a) A list of families and their children's tragic choices.
(b) How the different relationships impact the town.
(c) The best places to eat.
(d) The various houses she lived in.
7. Viorst details which famous baby doctor in Chapter 18?
(a) Benjamin Spock.
(b) T. Berry Brazelton.
(c) B. F. Skinner.
(d) Bill Sears.
8. What type of relationship reinforces our self-knowledge, widens our worldview, and supports our self-esteem?
(c) A mentoring relationship.
(d) The parent-child relationship.
9. What is the name of the son in Death of a Salesman that Viorst uses as an example of the restricting roles some parents foist on their children?
10. According to Chapter 20, Viorst is living on what to beat her middle-aged spread?
(a) Weight Watchers.
(d) Lean Cuisine.
11. Viorst thinks about development as a lifelong series of what?
(b) Necessary losses.
12. Who else, besides mothers, links separation and danger?
13. Viorst's poem, "I bring the children one more glass of water," is about what?
(a) Sex not being so sexy anymore.
(b) A dream of helping children find clean water.
(c) The anxieties of going to sleep as a child.
(d) Being an overworked mother.
14. The earliest text on the subject of aging came from where?
15. Name the foiled romantic in Flaubert's Madame Bovary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Elisabeth Kubler-Ross's highly influential book?
2. Which of the following psychoanalysts said we create religion to "exorcise the terrors" of nature?
3. Viorst quotes this book, written by Kathrin Perutz, in Chapter 13.
4. Friends and intimate partners are considered what?
5. To what was Richard Steele referring in the following quote? "... the compleatest image of heaven and hell we are capable of receiving in this life."
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)