|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it called when someone keeps everything just the same after someone dies?
(d) Untouched grief.
2. To what was Richard Steele referring in the following quote? "... the compleatest image of heaven and hell we are capable of receiving in this life."
3. According to Chapter 12, growing up involves giving up what illusion?
(a) That the universe revolves around us.
(b) That our parents are perfect.
(c) That death is inevitable.
(d) That friendship is infallible.
4. Viorst quotes this book, written by Kathrin Perutz, in Chapter 13.
(a) I Hate You, Too.
(b) The Most Complicated Relationship.
(c) Heaven on Earth.
(d) Marriage is Hell.
5. What is the key achievement of mid-life according to Viorst?
(a) Letting loose and exploring unfulfilled dreams.
(b) Uniting ourselves with reality and achieving balance.
(c) Getting the children out of the house.
(d) Moving our parents to a nursing home.
6. A capacity to feel pleasure in the pleasures of other people is an example of what?
(a) Pleasure transfer.
(b) Ego transcendence.
7. Name the foiled romantic in Flaubert's Madame Bovary.
8. Which of the following psychoanalysts said we create religion to "exorcise the terrors" of nature?
(a) Erich Fromm.
(b) Erik Erikson.
(c) Sigmund Freud.
(d) Stanley Greenspan.
9. Who said, "In erotic love, two people who were separate become one. In motherly love, two people who were one become separate."
(a) Harriet Lerner
(b) Ingrid Bergman
(c) Sigmund Freud
(d) Erich Fromm
10. According to Otto Kernberg, adolescent romantic love is the normal, crucial beginning of what?
(b) Puppy love.
(c) Adult love.
11. Who else, besides mothers, links separation and danger?
12. A man in his forties confessed to Viorst that he reviewed his life insurance policy after he was diagnosed with what?
(c) Heart disease.
(d) Tennis elbow.
13. What is the "corporate characteristic" that Viorst mentions in Chapter 15?
(a) A family's community involvement.
(b) A family's collective character.
(c) A family's business or legacy.
(d) A family's medical history.
14. Viorst says, "Losing is the price we pay for __________."
(a) Being human.
15. Men pursue ______________; women yearn for _______________.
(a) Excitement; safety.
(b) Autonomy; intimacy.
(c) Deep relationships; one night stands.
(d) Sex; cuddling.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Viorst describing when she said they fought death like a championship game?
2. What does this line from a poem by Longfellow tell us about old age? "Goethe at Weimar, toiling to the last, Completed Faust when eighty years were past."
3. According to Lillian Rubin, the sexual difference between men and women leads to what in a marriage relationship?
4. Friends and intimate partners are considered what?
5. What does the father in the poem referenced in Chapter 14 finally conclude?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)