|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the psychologist who said that marriage requires "a wise balancing of love and hate"?
(a) Chad Goodwin.
(b) Israel Charny.
(c) Sigmund Freud.
(d) America Ferrera.
2. In Chapter 14, Viorst lists what about her hometown?
(a) How the different relationships impact the town.
(b) The best places to eat.
(c) The various houses she lived in.
(d) A list of families and their children's tragic choices.
3. According to Chapter 20, Viorst is living on what to beat her middle-aged spread?
(b) Weight Watchers.
(d) Lean Cuisine.
4. Who was Viorst describing when she said they fought death like a championship game?
(a) Her sister, Lois.
(b) Her friend, Ruth.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her husband, Cecil.
5. What famous author's memoir entitled Speak, Memory does Viorst reference at the end of Chapter 14?
(a) Vladimir Nabokov
(b) James Joyce
(c) Frank McCourt
(d) Leo Tolstoy
6. What is it called when someone keeps everything just the same after someone dies?
(d) Untouched grief.
7. To what was Richard Steele referring in the following quote? "... the compleatest image of heaven and hell we are capable of receiving in this life."
8. What's the title of the book?
(a) Necessary Losses.
(b) Living is Loss.
(c) Impossible Expectations.
(d) Ups and Downs.
9. Men pursue ______________; women yearn for _______________.
(a) Deep relationships; one night stands.
(b) Excitement; safety.
(c) Autonomy; intimacy.
(d) Sex; cuddling.
10. Parents have trouble seeing their children as what?
(a) Competent humans.
(b) Separate people.
(c) A part of themselves.
(d) Anything but perfect.
11. Name the foiled romantic in Flaubert's Madame Bovary.
12. What was the name of the married woman with four children, mentioned in Chapter 12, who formed a non-sexual friendship with another man?
13. According to Viorst, "A new dream will arise when we begin to have our babies..." What is it?
(a) The dream of them moving out and going to college.
(b) The dream of creating an amazing and perfect human.
(c) The dream of them becoming successful.
(d) The dream of keeping them safe from harm.
14. There are what number of friendships that Viorst labels in Chapter 12?
15. According to Viorst, the different roles we assign ourselves keep life interesting and fluid, rather than _____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else, besides mothers, links separation and danger?
2. According to Chapter 14, parents suffer from the one of the following in a similar fashion to children.
3. Which famous family does Viorst mention in Chapter 15?
4. In our middle years, we may seek to reconnect with our _____________.
5. Madame Bovary uses what metaphor to describe marriage?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)