|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Name the foiled romantic in Flaubert's Madame Bovary.
2. According to Chapter 14, parents suffer from the one of the following in a similar fashion to children.
(a) Insecurity about themselves.
(b) Separation anxiety.
(c) Fear of abandonment.
(d) Oedipus complex.
3. Simone de Beauvoir once said, "Old age is life's ___________."
(a) Swan song.
(b) Final act.
(c) Cruel joke.
4. According to Chapter 13, there can be no human love without what?
(b) Passion and romance.
(c) A caring parental relationship.
5. What is it called when someone keeps everything just the same after someone dies?
(b) Untouched grief.
6. According to Viorst, in middle age we inspire far less ________ than we do ___________.
(a) Admiration; annoyance.
(b) Lust; respect.
(c) Hatred; love.
(d) Respect; pity.
7. What's the title of the book?
(a) Impossible Expectations.
(b) Living is Loss.
(c) Necessary Losses.
(d) Ups and Downs.
8. How did Cecil and Julia Saunders die?
(a) They shot themselves.
(b) Their plane crashed on the way to their granddaughter's wedding.
(c) They died in a car accident.
(d) Someone broke into their house and killed them.
9. Viorst contends that our unconscious sexual thoughts toward friends are masked as what?
(a) Concern, devotion, and affection.
(b) Ridicule and anger.
(c) Flirtatious behavior.
10. According to Chapter 12, growing up involves giving up what illusion?
(a) That friendship is infallible.
(b) That our parents are perfect.
(c) That death is inevitable.
(d) That the universe revolves around us.
11. What is the "corporate characteristic" that Viorst mentions in Chapter 15?
(a) A family's business or legacy.
(b) A family's community involvement.
(c) A family's collective character.
(d) A family's medical history.
12. Who was the psychologist who said that marriage requires "a wise balancing of love and hate"?
(a) Chad Goodwin.
(b) America Ferrera.
(c) Sigmund Freud.
(d) Israel Charny.
13. Viorst details which famous baby doctor in Chapter 18?
(a) T. Berry Brazelton.
(b) Bill Sears.
(c) Benjamin Spock.
(d) B. F. Skinner.
14. Which famous family does Viorst mention in Chapter 15?
(a) The Windsors.
(b) The Kennedys.
(c) The Vanderbilts.
(d) The Carnegies.
15. To what was Richard Steele referring in the following quote? "... the compleatest image of heaven and hell we are capable of receiving in this life."
Short Answer Questions
1. Viorst says, "Losing is the price we pay for __________."
2. Which three fictional characters discussed in the book does Viorst specifically mention in Chapter 20?
3. The following headline ran in what paper? "HER OUTSIDE PREOCCUPATION CAN LEAVE HIM ISOLATED AT TIME OF MORE LEISURE"
4. Madame Bovary uses what metaphor to describe marriage?
5. Which sex tends to have only superficial relationships?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)