|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the "corporate characteristic" that Viorst mentions in Chapter 15?
(a) A family's community involvement.
(b) A family's business or legacy.
(c) A family's collective character.
(d) A family's medical history.
2. A man in his forties confessed to Viorst that he reviewed his life insurance policy after he was diagnosed with what?
(a) Tennis elbow.
(b) Heart disease.
3. Which book referenced in Chapter 14 references the "good mother"?
(a) The World According to Garp by John Irving
(b) Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert.
(c) The Mother Knot by Jane Lazarre
(d) Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
4. Which recent development does Viorst think is a positive new step toward good death?
(a) Doctor assisted death.
(b) The hospice movement.
(c) Increased suicides of cancer patients.
(d) Hospital good-byes.
5. According to Chapter 12, growing up involves giving up what illusion?
(a) That our parents are perfect.
(b) That friendship is infallible.
(c) That the universe revolves around us.
(d) That death is inevitable.
6. There are what number of friendships that Viorst labels in Chapter 12?
7. How many stages are there in the journey towards death according to Kubler-Ross?
8. Viorst thinks about development as a lifelong series of what?
(c) Necessary losses.
9. Viorst details which famous baby doctor in Chapter 18?
(a) B. F. Skinner.
(b) Bill Sears.
(c) Benjamin Spock.
(d) T. Berry Brazelton.
10. What is it called when someone keeps everything just the same after someone dies?
(a) Untouched grief.
11. According to Viorst, what types of feelings are present in ALL friendships?
(a) Sad feelings.
(b) Feelings of love.
(c) Competitive feelings.
(d) Reserved feelings.
12. Which famous author wrote this about the loss of his cherished wife: "The first plunge of the knife into the flesh is felt again and again"?
(a) Victor Hugo.
(b) Charles Dickens.
(c) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(d) C.S. Lewis.
13. According to Otto Kernberg, adolescent romantic love is the normal, crucial beginning of what?
(b) Adult love.
(d) Puppy love.
14. Men pursue ______________; women yearn for _______________.
(a) Deep relationships; one night stands.
(b) Autonomy; intimacy.
(c) Excitement; safety.
(d) Sex; cuddling.
15. What is the name of the son in Death of a Salesman that Viorst uses as an example of the restricting roles some parents foist on their children?
Short Answer Questions
1. Viorst says, "Losing is the price we pay for __________."
2. Who said the following? "Now she is aware of some of the losses you incur by being here -- the extraordinary rent you have to pay as long as you stay."
3. Who was the psychologist who said that marriage requires "a wise balancing of love and hate"?
4. What are we often unaware of that we bring with us into a marriage?
5. Who said, "In erotic love, two people who were separate become one. In motherly love, two people who were one become separate."
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)