|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In this book, mentioned in Chapter 12, it is stated that despite sexual feelings toward friends of the same sex, individuals need not necessarily define themselves as "homosexual." What is the name of the book?
(a) Friends and Lovers in the College Years.
(b) My Friend Pat.
(c) Intimacy and Friendship Through College.
(d) Friends and Lovers for Life.
2. What does this line from a poem by Longfellow tell us about old age? "Goethe at Weimar, toiling to the last, Completed Faust when eighty years were past."
(a) Goethe must have really enjoyed his work.
(b) Aging is hard work.
(c) It's never too late.
(d) Faust isn't very good because it was written by an elderly person.
3. Who else, besides mothers, links separation and danger?
4. What is the key achievement of mid-life according to Viorst?
(a) Moving our parents to a nursing home.
(b) Getting the children out of the house.
(c) Letting loose and exploring unfulfilled dreams.
(d) Uniting ourselves with reality and achieving balance.
5. What sort of thing did Selena's children no longer want her to do when they separated?
(a) Leave a note on their dresser.
(b) Make a Travel Book.
(c) Set out their clothes.
(d) Hire a babysitter.
6. What is it called when someone keeps everything just the same after someone dies?
(c) Untouched grief.
7. According to Chapter 13, there can be no human love without what?
(b) A caring parental relationship.
(c) Passion and romance.
8. Which of the following psychoanalysts said we create religion to "exorcise the terrors" of nature?
(a) Stanley Greenspan.
(b) Sigmund Freud.
(c) Erik Erikson.
(d) Erich Fromm.
9. Chapter 18 refers to which famous character as the ultimate retiree?
(d) King Lear.
10. In what form of internalization do we take on aspects of those we have loved?
11. Which famous author's daughter suddenly died at the age of 24?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) John Steinbeck.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(d) Mark Twain.
12. Which philosopher does Viorst quote in Chapter 14?
(a) Leo Tolstoy
(b) Karl Marx
(c) Friedrich Nietzsche
(d) Soren Kierkegaard
13. How did Cecil and Julia Saunders die?
(a) They shot themselves.
(b) Their plane crashed on the way to their granddaughter's wedding.
(c) They died in a car accident.
(d) Someone broke into their house and killed them.
14. A capacity to feel pleasure in the pleasures of other people is an example of what?
(a) Pleasure transfer.
(b) Ego transcendence.
15. According to Viorst, what types of feelings are present in ALL friendships?
(a) Sad feelings.
(b) Feelings of love.
(c) Reserved feelings.
(d) Competitive feelings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Elisabeth Kubler-Ross's highly influential book?
2. What is the first phase of mourning discussed in Chapter 16?
3. Who said, "In erotic love, two people who were separate become one. In motherly love, two people who were one become separate."
4. What does the father in the poem referenced in Chapter 14 finally conclude?
5. The following headline ran in what paper? "HER OUTSIDE PREOCCUPATION CAN LEAVE HIM ISOLATED AT TIME OF MORE LEISURE"
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)