|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which book referenced in Chapter 14 references the "good mother"?
(a) Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert.
(b) The Mother Knot by Jane Lazarre
(c) The World According to Garp by John Irving
(d) Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
2. According to Viorst, "A new dream will arise when we begin to have our babies..." What is it?
(a) The dream of them moving out and going to college.
(b) The dream of creating an amazing and perfect human.
(c) The dream of them becoming successful.
(d) The dream of keeping them safe from harm.
3. Viorst contends that our unconscious sexual thoughts toward friends are masked as what?
(a) Flirtatious behavior.
(c) Ridicule and anger.
(d) Concern, devotion, and affection.
4. Men pursue ______________; women yearn for _______________.
(a) Sex; cuddling.
(b) Autonomy; intimacy.
(c) Excitement; safety.
(d) Deep relationships; one night stands.
5. In our middle years, we may seek to reconnect with our _____________.
(a) Family roles.
(b) Elementary school friends.
6. As our parents grow old, get sick, and die, we learn to do what in relation to imperfect connections?
(a) Stop complaining about them.
(b) Ignore them and continue on our own path.
(c) Work them out.
(d) Give thanks.
7. Madame Bovary uses what metaphor to describe marriage?
(a) A beautiful spring day spent in a field of wildflowers.
(b) A great rosy-plumaged bird soaring in the splendors of poetic skies.
(c) An intimate and joyful day on a private beach in Fiji.
(d) An exquisite French dessert, delicious, but hard to create.
8. Who said, "In erotic love, two people who were separate become one. In motherly love, two people who were one become separate."
(a) Ingrid Bergman
(b) Harriet Lerner
(c) Erich Fromm
(d) Sigmund Freud
9. According to Viorst, in middle age we inspire far less ________ than we do ___________.
(a) Hatred; love.
(b) Lust; respect.
(c) Admiration; annoyance.
(d) Respect; pity.
10. How did Cecil and Julia Saunders die?
(a) Their plane crashed on the way to their granddaughter's wedding.
(b) They shot themselves.
(c) Someone broke into their house and killed them.
(d) They died in a car accident.
11. Which sex tends to have only superficial relationships?
(d) Men who were abused or abandoned as children.
12. Chapter 18 refers to which famous character as the ultimate retiree?
(a) King Lear.
13. What famous author's memoir entitled Speak, Memory does Viorst reference at the end of Chapter 14?
(a) Vladimir Nabokov
(b) James Joyce
(c) Leo Tolstoy
(d) Frank McCourt
14. Which famous family does Viorst mention in Chapter 15?
(a) The Vanderbilts.
(b) The Carnegies.
(c) The Kennedys.
(d) The Windsors.
15. The title of Chapter 12 lists what?
(a) Types of teenagers.
(b) Types of adults.
(c) Types of parenting styles.
(d) Types of friendships.
Short Answer Questions
1. Intimate male-female relationships are rare because of what?
2. Viorst references The World According to Garp and a mishearing of this term by a child.
3. Viorst details which famous baby doctor in Chapter 18?
4. Viorst says, "Losing is the price we pay for __________."
5. According to Chapter 12, growing up involves giving up what illusion?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)