|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Otto Kernberg, adolescent romantic love is the normal, crucial beginning of what?
(a) Puppy love.
(c) Adult love.
2. Parents have trouble seeing their children as what?
(a) Anything but perfect.
(b) Separate people.
(c) Competent humans.
(d) A part of themselves.
3. According to Viorst, the different roles we assign ourselves keep life interesting and fluid, rather than _____________.
4. How did Cecil and Julia Saunders die?
(a) They died in a car accident.
(b) Their plane crashed on the way to their granddaughter's wedding.
(c) Someone broke into their house and killed them.
(d) They shot themselves.
5. Levinson calls a mid-life crisis what?
(a) Middle Age Panic.
(b) Mid-life Transition.
(c) Forty and Fabulous.
(d) A questioning of everything.
6. Who said the following? "Now she is aware of some of the losses you incur by being here -- the extraordinary rent you have to pay as long as you stay."
(a) George Eliot.
(b) Annie Dillard.
(c) Virginia Woolf.
(d) Emily Dickinson.
7. Which book referenced in Chapter 14 references the "good mother"?
(a) The World According to Garp by John Irving
(b) Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
(c) Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert.
(d) The Mother Knot by Jane Lazarre
8. Viorst quotes this book, written by Kathrin Perutz, in Chapter 13.
(a) Heaven on Earth.
(b) I Hate You, Too.
(c) Marriage is Hell.
(d) The Most Complicated Relationship.
9. Viorst says, "Losing is the price we pay for __________."
(a) Being human.
10. According to Chapter 13, there can be no human love without what?
(a) A caring parental relationship.
(b) Passion and romance.
11. According to Viorst, what types of feelings are present in ALL friendships?
(a) Sad feelings.
(b) Reserved feelings.
(c) Feelings of love.
(d) Competitive feelings.
12. What does the father in the poem referenced in Chapter 14 finally conclude?
(a) That he must let his children go.
(b) That he can indeed protect his children.
(c) That his children will just grow up and go away.
(d) That he never should have had children.
13. What type of relationship reinforces our self-knowledge, widens our worldview, and supports our self-esteem?
(b) A mentoring relationship.
(c) The parent-child relationship.
14. What is the name of Elisabeth Kubler-Ross's highly influential book?
(a) On Death and Dying.
(b) The Last Cattle Call.
(c) Death Comes for the Archbishop.
(d) O, Death, Be Mine.
15. Men pursue ______________; women yearn for _______________.
(a) Autonomy; intimacy.
(b) Excitement; safety.
(c) Sex; cuddling.
(d) Deep relationships; one night stands.
Short Answer Questions
1. In our middle years, we may seek to reconnect with our _____________.
2. Who was Viorst describing when she said they fought death like a championship game?
3. What are the names of Viorst's three sons?
4. Viorst contends that our unconscious sexual thoughts toward friends are masked as what?
5. Chapter 18 refers to which famous character as the ultimate retiree?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)