|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The earliest text on the subject of aging came from where?
2. Who was Viorst describing when she said they fought death like a championship game?
(a) Her husband, Cecil.
(b) Her friend, Ruth.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her sister, Lois.
3. Who said, "In erotic love, two people who were separate become one. In motherly love, two people who were one become separate."
(a) Sigmund Freud
(b) Erich Fromm
(c) Ingrid Bergman
(d) Harriet Lerner
4. Which philosopher does Viorst quote in Chapter 14?
(a) Friedrich Nietzsche
(b) Soren Kierkegaard
(c) Karl Marx
(d) Leo Tolstoy
5. What sort of thing did Selena's children no longer want her to do when they separated?
(a) Hire a babysitter.
(b) Leave a note on their dresser.
(c) Make a Travel Book.
(d) Set out their clothes.
6. Intimate male-female relationships are rare because of what?
(a) The sexual tension.
(b) Women would just rather talk to other women.
(c) Socially unacceptable norms.
(d) The adultery factor.
7. According to Chapter 14, parents suffer from the one of the following in a similar fashion to children.
(a) Insecurity about themselves.
(b) Fear of abandonment.
(c) Oedipus complex.
(d) Separation anxiety.
8. Friends and intimate partners are considered what?
(a) Two different types of relationships.
(b) The true test of a good marriage.
(c) One and the same.
(d) A rare phenomenon found only in humans.
9. The following headline ran in what paper? "HER OUTSIDE PREOCCUPATION CAN LEAVE HIM ISOLATED AT TIME OF MORE LEISURE"
(a) The New York Times.
(b) The Chicago Tribune.
(c) The Wall Street Journal.
(d) The Washington Post.
10. Which famous author's daughter suddenly died at the age of 24?
(a) John Steinbeck.
(b) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) Mark Twain.
11. Viorst says, "Losing is the price we pay for __________."
(a) Being human.
12. Who once said, "God ordains that every genius shall have an illness at forty"?
(a) Oscar Wilde.
(b) Mark Twain.
(c) Arthur Miller.
(d) George Bernard Shaw.
13. According to Viorst, "A new dream will arise when we begin to have our babies..." What is it?
(a) The dream of them becoming successful.
(b) The dream of them moving out and going to college.
(c) The dream of creating an amazing and perfect human.
(d) The dream of keeping them safe from harm.
14. Name the foiled romantic in Flaubert's Madame Bovary.
15. What is the first phase of mourning discussed in Chapter 16?
(a) Renewed hope.
(b) Hatred of the person who left us.
(d) Endless crying.
Short Answer Questions
1. Parents have trouble seeing their children as what?
2. According to Chapter 13, there can be no human love without what?
3. What is the name of the son in Death of a Salesman that Viorst uses as an example of the restricting roles some parents foist on their children?
4. As our parents grow old, get sick, and die, we learn to do what in relation to imperfect connections?
5. Viorst details which famous baby doctor in Chapter 18?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)