|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which sex tends to have only superficial relationships?
(c) Men who were abused or abandoned as children.
2. According to Chapter 20, Viorst is living on what to beat her middle-aged spread?
(a) Weight Watchers.
(d) Lean Cuisine.
3. What type of relationship reinforces our self-knowledge, widens our worldview, and supports our self-esteem?
(a) A mentoring relationship.
(b) The parent-child relationship.
4. Which famous family does Viorst mention in Chapter 15?
(a) The Kennedys.
(b) The Windsors.
(c) The Vanderbilts.
(d) The Carnegies.
5. Which three fictional characters discussed in the book does Viorst specifically mention in Chapter 20?
(a) Emma Bovary, Alex Portnoy, Ivan Ilych
(b) Holden Caulfield, Hamlet, Marlow
(c) Hamlet, Oedipus, Owen Meany
(d) Margaret, Alex Portnoy, King Lear
6. What famous author's memoir entitled Speak, Memory does Viorst reference at the end of Chapter 14?
(a) Leo Tolstoy
(b) James Joyce
(c) Frank McCourt
(d) Vladimir Nabokov
7. What is the first phase of mourning discussed in Chapter 16?
(a) Renewed hope.
(c) Endless crying.
(d) Hatred of the person who left us.
8. According to Viorst, in middle age we inspire far less ________ than we do ___________.
(a) Respect; pity.
(b) Hatred; love.
(c) Lust; respect.
(d) Admiration; annoyance.
9. The earliest text on the subject of aging came from where?
10. According to Otto Kernberg, adolescent romantic love is the normal, crucial beginning of what?
(b) Adult love.
(c) Puppy love.
11. Who was the psychologist who said that marriage requires "a wise balancing of love and hate"?
(a) Israel Charny.
(b) America Ferrera.
(c) Chad Goodwin.
(d) Sigmund Freud.
12. How many stages are there in the journey towards death according to Kubler-Ross?
13. What was the name of the married woman with four children, mentioned in Chapter 12, who formed a non-sexual friendship with another man?
14. Who said the following? "Now she is aware of some of the losses you incur by being here -- the extraordinary rent you have to pay as long as you stay."
(a) Emily Dickinson.
(b) Annie Dillard.
(c) Virginia Woolf.
(d) George Eliot.
15. Who said, "In erotic love, two people who were separate become one. In motherly love, two people who were one become separate."
(a) Harriet Lerner
(b) Sigmund Freud
(c) Ingrid Bergman
(d) Erich Fromm
Short Answer Questions
1. What's the title of the book?
2. As our parents grow old, get sick, and die, we learn to do what in relation to imperfect connections?
3. Which recent development does Viorst think is a positive new step toward good death?
4. Simone de Beauvoir once said, "Old age is life's ___________."
5. According to Chapter 12, growing up involves giving up what illusion?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)