|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Name the foiled romantic in Flaubert's Madame Bovary.
2. According to Chapter 14, parents suffer from the one of the following in a similar fashion to children.
(a) Fear of abandonment.
(b) Insecurity about themselves.
(c) Separation anxiety.
(d) Oedipus complex.
3. Viorst quotes this book, written by Kathrin Perutz, in Chapter 13.
(a) Marriage is Hell.
(b) The Most Complicated Relationship.
(c) I Hate You, Too.
(d) Heaven on Earth.
4. What is the first phase of mourning discussed in Chapter 16?
(b) Hatred of the person who left us.
(c) Renewed hope.
(d) Endless crying.
5. The title of Chapter 12 lists what?
(a) Types of parenting styles.
(b) Types of adults.
(c) Types of teenagers.
(d) Types of friendships.
6. There are what number of friendships that Viorst labels in Chapter 12?
7. Viorst's poem, "I bring the children one more glass of water," is about what?
(a) A dream of helping children find clean water.
(b) Sex not being so sexy anymore.
(c) Being an overworked mother.
(d) The anxieties of going to sleep as a child.
8. According to a psychologist in Chapter 13, husbands and wives are each other's what?
(a) Greatest lovers.
(b) Best friends.
(c) Coping mechanism.
(d) Intimate enemies.
9. Which three fictional characters discussed in the book does Viorst specifically mention in Chapter 20?
(a) Hamlet, Oedipus, Owen Meany
(b) Margaret, Alex Portnoy, King Lear
(c) Emma Bovary, Alex Portnoy, Ivan Ilych
(d) Holden Caulfield, Hamlet, Marlow
10. Viorst references The World According to Garp and a mishearing of this term by a child.
11. What famous author's memoir entitled Speak, Memory does Viorst reference at the end of Chapter 14?
(a) Frank McCourt
(b) James Joyce
(c) Vladimir Nabokov
(d) Leo Tolstoy
12. What is it called when someone keeps everything just the same after someone dies?
(b) Untouched grief.
13. Simone de Beauvoir once said, "Old age is life's ___________."
(a) Cruel joke.
(b) Final act.
(d) Swan song.
14. Friends and intimate partners are considered what?
(a) One and the same.
(b) The true test of a good marriage.
(c) Two different types of relationships.
(d) A rare phenomenon found only in humans.
15. According to Otto Kernberg, adolescent romantic love is the normal, crucial beginning of what?
(a) Puppy love.
(c) Adult love.
Short Answer Questions
1. A capacity to feel pleasure in the pleasures of other people is an example of what?
2. According to Viorst, what types of feelings are present in ALL friendships?
3. Which famous family does Viorst mention in Chapter 15?
4. Which book referenced in Chapter 14 references the "good mother"?
5. Who said the following? "Now she is aware of some of the losses you incur by being here -- the extraordinary rent you have to pay as long as you stay."
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)