|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Viorst feels our sexual nature comes from where?
(a) It is inborn and shaped by our environment.
(b) It comes from our DNA.
(c) It is formed in our mind.
(d) It comes from the messages around us.
2. As our parents grow old, get sick, and die, we learn to do what in relation to imperfect connections?
(a) Give thanks.
(b) Work them out.
(c) Ignore them and continue on our own path.
(d) Stop complaining about them.
3. According to Art Buchwald, what are "the three worst words in the language"?
(a) Jewish, urchin, institution.
(b) Hebrew, orphan, asylum.
(c) Lonely, stray, hospital.
(d) Isolated, hopeless, angry.
4. According to Chapter 12, growing up involves giving up what illusion?
(a) That friendship is infallible.
(b) That death is inevitable.
(c) That our parents are perfect.
(d) That the universe revolves around us.
5. Viorst's poem, "I bring the children one more glass of water," is about what?
(a) A dream of helping children find clean water.
(b) Being an overworked mother.
(c) The anxieties of going to sleep as a child.
(d) Sex not being so sexy anymore.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sigmund Freud once said, "When you meet a human being, the first distinction you make is ______________?"
2. Viorst feels that there is a always a grain of what in our love relationships?
3. How does the author feel we can move past re-creating what has already happened?
4. Viorst contends that our unconscious sexual thoughts toward friends are masked as what?
5. According to Viorst, "A new dream will arise when we begin to have our babies..." What is it?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)