|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chapter 9, how do we eventually resolve the Oedipus complex?
(a) Through our conscience.
(b) Through guilt.
(c) Through punishment and shame.
(d) By becoming adults.
2. There are _______ unanswered questions about the innate differences between the sexes.
3. Viorst references The World According to Garp and a mishearing of this term by a child.
4. Parents have trouble seeing their children as what?
(a) Anything but perfect.
(b) Separate people.
(c) Competent humans.
(d) A part of themselves.
5. According to Chapter 6, is sibling rivalry normal and universal?
(a) It depends on the parenting style.
(b) Only in industrialized nations.
(c) Only in the United States.
(d) Ten out of ten psychoanalysts answer yes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Marvin and _______ experience great physical discomfort because of their unconscious guilt.
2. According to Viorst, in middle age we inspire far less ________ than we do ___________.
3. Who said, "In erotic love, two people who were separate become one. In motherly love, two people who were one become separate."
4. Who created the character Alexander Portnoy?
5. What was the name of the married woman with four children, mentioned in Chapter 12, who formed a non-sexual friendship with another man?
This section contains 214 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)