|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the ingrained patterns repeated in adulthood due to childhood experiences called?
(a) Revisiting the past.
(b) Bad habits.
(c) Familiarity complex.
(d) Repetition compulsion.
2. According to psychoanalyst Erich Fromm, immature love follows what principle?
(a) I am loved because I love.
(b) I love you because I need you.
(c) I need you because I love you.
(d) I hate you because I love you.
3. How does Viorst describe the first loss we experience as humans?
(a) First separation.
(b) Launch of independence.
(c) Original loss.
(d) New beginning.
4. When does it become clear to the child that his needs are different than his mother's?
(a) When puberty occurs.
(b) When separation occurs.
(c) When the mother tells the child, "No!" for the first time.
(d) When adolescence occurs.
5. Subliminal messages of "Mommy and I are one," have proven to result in what?
(a) Spontaneous smiling.
(b) Warm, fuzzy feelings.
(c) Great anxiety.
(d) Higher achievements.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Viorst purport that we form an identification of "I"?
2. When a mother rejects a child's need for dependence and pushes them out of the nest too soon, what can happen?
3. What does Viorst explain we are trying to accomplish when we try to "undo' the separation from our mother?
4. According to Viorst, grown-up love must begin with what?
5. Viorst states that some oneness experiences can go too far and cause what?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)