|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two feelings battle each other at every stage of development?
(a) Our desire for love versus our desire to be loved.
(b) Our desire for freedom versus our desire for protection.
(c) Our desire to please our mother versus our desire to please ourselves.
(d) Our desire to learn versus our desire to have fun.
2. The first sentence of Chapter 1 states that, "Life begins with _______."
3. What happens when children see their mothers as all good or all bad?
(a) They form a very close relationship with their fathers.
(b) They compare everyone they meet to their mothers.
(c) They shun perfect and evil people alike, looking for complete mediocrity in the perfect mate.
(d) They split from relationships their whole life because they think in terms of black and white.
4. What are the ingrained patterns repeated in adulthood due to childhood experiences called?
(a) Bad habits.
(b) Repetition compulsion.
(c) Revisiting the past.
(d) Familiarity complex.
5. According to Viorst, we not only try to re-live the good experiences from our past, but also seek to re-create the bad ones in an effort to do what?
(a) In an effort to rehearse for the future.
(b) In an effort to assess how we performed.
(c) In an effort to correct them.
(d) In an effort to torture ourselves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. C slept in the same bed as her mother until she was how old?
2. Chapter 3 addresses how the "Private I" is the person who lives underneath the facade that is created in order to ___________ those around them.
3. Which character claimed that, "I am a part of all that I have met."
4. According to the author, absence makes the heart grow _____________.
5. How does Viorst purport that we form an identification of "I"?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)