|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Viorst, what are we all striving to be?
(a) Someone who makes our mother proud.
(b) A narcissist.
(c) A separate self.
(d) A well-adjusted adult.
2. What two feelings battle each other at every stage of development?
(a) Our desire to please our mother versus our desire to please ourselves.
(b) Our desire for freedom versus our desire for protection.
(c) Our desire for love versus our desire to be loved.
(d) Our desire to learn versus our desire to have fun.
3. Viorst feels that only through _____________ can "our loss be transcended."
4. The first sentence of Chapter 1 states that, "Life begins with _______."
5. What is the name of the personality that evolves when a child cannot trust their own feelings and takes on the personality traits of others?
(a) "Shifting personality."
(b) "As-if personality."
(c) "Borderline personality."
(d) "Chameleon personality."
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 1 concludes by stating that the yearning to restore the bliss of mother-child oneness is _____________________.
2. Mrs. C slept in the same bed as her mother until she was how old?
3. According to Art Buchwald, what are "the three worst words in the language"?
4. How does Viorst purport that we form an identification of "I"?
5. How is it believed that infants perceive their needs in relation to their mother?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)