|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chapter 7, girls have to give up more of what than boys in outgrowing their Oedipus complex?
(a) More sex.
(b) More fears.
(c) More people.
(d) More dreams.
2. According to psychoanalyst Erich Fromm, immature love follows what principle?
(a) I love you because I need you.
(b) I am loved because I love.
(c) I hate you because I love you.
(d) I need you because I love you.
3. According to Chapter 7, our adult sexuality is in response to what?
(a) Oedipal conflicts.
(b) Our religious upbringing.
(c) The messages media convey.
(d) Libidinal conflicts.
4. What is one of the necessary losses discussed in Chapter 3?
(a) To give up on the idea that we are independent beings.
(b) To give up on being one with our mother.
(c) To give up the many identities we try out.
(d) To give up our need for control.
5. Seeing our own feelings as those of the new baby's is known as what?
(c) Yours and mine syndrome.
(d) Entanglement of self.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author state that extended separation from a mother can cause a child?
2. How does Viorst describe the first loss we experience as humans?
3. Which character claimed that, "I am a part of all that I have met."
4. What is the name of the personality that evolves when a child cannot trust their own feelings and takes on the personality traits of others?
5. According to Viorst, what are we all striving to be?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)