|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Christmas gift caused Brooke Hayward so much anguish when asked if her little sister could play with it?
(a) A set of artist's paints.
(b) A dollhouse.
(c) A bike.
(d) A pair of roller skates.
2. Which character claimed that, "I am a part of all that I have met."
3. According to Viorst, in what way do we primarily form our self-identity?
(a) By belonging to a wide variety of social groups.
(b) Through imitation of our friends.
(c) Through experimentation with different character traits.
(d) Through imitation of our parents.
4. De-identification can help siblings feel superior in different ways, but it can also lead to what negative result?
(a) It can leave one child overshadowed by the other.
(b) It can result in negative personality traits such as pride, arrogance, or narcissism.
(c) It can impose limitations on our talents and interests.
(d) It can lead to competition in those different areas.
5. Viorst states that some oneness experiences can go too far and cause what?
(b) Hatred of oneself.
(d) Physical injury.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 5 states that even an average mother is perceived by a child as _____________.
2. When the child decides to replace the hostility towards the new sibling with some other activity, it is referred to as what?
3. Escaping to an earlier stage of development in an effort to deal with socially unacceptable feelings toward a new sibling is called what?
4. According to Viorst, we not only try to re-live the good experiences from our past, but also seek to re-create the bad ones in an effort to do what?
5. According to Viorst, what is one of our first treasures that we don't want to share?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)