|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the soldier's carry Wilson to the beach, his continually complains that he is thirsty. However the men say he can not drink any water with his injury. What is the explanation they give Wilson for not being allowed any water?
2. During a flashback of Cummings, the reader learns that he enjoyed sewing and sketching as a child, however his father did not approve. What was his father's action upon learning Cummings was partaking in womanly activities?
3. In Part 3, Chapter 2, who does Hearn decide cannot be trusted?
4. What happens when the troop begins crossing the field?
5. What background does Ridges have that leads him to enjoy physical work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Racism is seen throughout this book. Discuss this issue in terms of the time period of the book. Would this behavior be accepted today, even in the throws of war?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one topic to discuss. Be sure to include the name of the characters(s) you choose. The basic situation that led to the conflict. Describe the conflict from both sides. Discuss the end result of the conflict. Discuss how the character(s) was changed after the conflict.
1) Conflict between two or more men in the story.
2) Conflict between a man and his environment.
3) Conflict between a man and himself.
Essay Topic 3
Croft seems to have a lot of inner conflict that possibly began before the war and has only intensified since.
1) How does this conflict affect his relationships with the men in his command?
2) How does this conflict affect his relationships with men at and above his own rank?
3) If Croft was not in this story, how might the ending be different?
This section contains 1,436 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)