|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hearn suggest when the men reach the open field?
2. Where was Cummings when he had his first homosexual encounter?
3. What does Red do when Hearn offers him the rank of corporal?
4. In Part 3, Chapter 11, how does Dalleson think the battle ended?
5. The men have almost reached the summit and Croft is the only one who wants to continue to the top. What causes the men to turn back down in the mountain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place on a fictional island.
1) Were the events in the book indicative of actual historical events? Explain your answer.
2) Are there any recorded battles that took place on a similar island? .
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the main themes in this book. Write an essay discussing the theme and provide example supporting why you think is if a main theme for the story.
Essay Topic 3
Croft seems to have a lot of inner conflict that possibly began before the war and has only intensified since.
1) How does this conflict affect his relationships with the men in his command?
2) How does this conflict affect his relationships with men at and above his own rank?
3) If Croft was not in this story, how might the ending be different?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)