|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 11, what does Cummings do when he gets the destroyer?
2. The soldiers are tired and their health is beginning to fail, additionally recent events have dulled the man's spirits, however Croft does not seem to care. How do the soldiers feel about Crofts' decision to continue through the pass, given recent events?
3. In Part 3, Chapter 2, why do the men become uneasy as they leave the jungle?
4. Which soldier states he will re-enlist?
5. What background does Ridges have that leads him to enjoy physical work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place on a fictional island.
1) Were the events in the book indicative of actual historical events? Explain your answer.
2) Are there any recorded battles that took place on a similar island? .
Essay Topic 2
Croft seems to have a lot of inner conflict that possibly began before the war and has only intensified since.
1) How does this conflict affect his relationships with the men in his command?
2) How does this conflict affect his relationships with men at and above his own rank?
3) If Croft was not in this story, how might the ending be different?
Essay Topic 3
Roth and Goldstein have a substantial conversation on the beach, and Roth feels they are becoming friends. Would these two characters be friends if they had met outside of the Army? Explain your reasoning with evidence using the characters background, education, personality, and thoughts reveled throughout the book.
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)