Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 14, why is the captain of the boat upset?
2. Cummings uses his journal to relieve tension and record his private thoughts, what is the underlying tone of Cummings' writing?
3. At this point the soldiers have turned around and are making their way back to the beach. What is the general feeling of the soldiers toward Croft?
4. How do the soldiers keep the toilet paper dry?
5. What was wrong with the reports Cummings received about the Japanese bivouac?
Essay Topic 1
Racism is seen throughout this book. Discuss this issue in terms of the time period of the book. Would this behavior be accepted today, even in the throws of war?
Essay Topic 2
During a flashback in Part 2, Chapter 9, the reader learns that Gallagher's father was a bully and often beat his wife.
1) How does Gallagher feel about this side of this father's character?
2) Do you think Gallagher was like his father?
3) Explain and cite examples found throughout the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The following essay will be on the Inner conflict of Cummings. Write an essay to address the following questions.
1) Describe the inner conflict of Cummings.
2) How did Cummings deal with his own conflict.
3) Cummings kept this conflict private except in one instance with Hearn. Describe that instance and explain how Hearn's feelings toward Cummings changed.
4) Be the end of the story, had Cummings come to terms with his inner conflict?
This section contains 1,411 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)