Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 14, why is the captain of the boat upset?
2. Cummings uses his journal to relieve tension and record his private thoughts, what is the underlying tone of Cummings' writing?
3. At this point the soldiers have turned around and are making their way back to the beach. What is the general feeling of the soldiers toward Croft?
4. How do the soldiers keep the toilet paper dry?
5. What was wrong with the reports Cummings received about the Japanese bivouac?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one topic to discuss. Be sure to include the name of the characters(s) you choose. The basic situation that led to the conflict. Describe the conflict from both sides. Discuss the end result of the conflict. Discuss how the character(s) was changed after the conflict.
1) Conflict between two or more men in the story.
2) Conflict between a man and his environment.
3) Conflict between a man and himself.
Essay Topic 2
By the end of the book, the American troops learned that they had the advantage. Additionally, Cummings felt useless intelligence and incompetent men were the reason he did not feel successful. Were the reasons giving by Cummings for his feelings of failure justified? Explain you answer using examples from the book based on Cummings character and his actions.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, the reader is shown glimpses of the men's lives back home. How does the author use the literary tool of flashback throughout the novel? Is the presence of flashback used effectively, and what does it provide for the reader?"
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)