|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 11, how does Dalleson think the battle ended?
2. Cummings often thinks about how the campaign might go wrong which causes him frustration. In addition to writing in his journal, how else does Cummings release his tensions?
3. How long does Cummings suspect it will take for men to breach the Toyaku Line?
4. In Part 3, Chapter 4, why does Hearn think the men resist his leadership?
5. After failing out of college, what profession did Brown take up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the main themes in this book. Write an essay discussing the theme and provide example supporting why you think is if a main theme for the story.
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of examples of rejection throughout this novel.
1) Give at least two examples of rejection seen on the island.
2) Give at least two examples of rejection seen in the soldiers younger lives.
3) Describe how this rejection effects various soldiers.
4) Some of the soldiers appear hardened and, therefore, do not care what the others think. Do you think these soldiers are still effected by rejection?
Essay Topic 3
Croft seems to have a lot of inner conflict that possibly began before the war and has only intensified since.
1) How does this conflict affect his relationships with the men in his command?
2) How does this conflict affect his relationships with men at and above his own rank?
3) If Croft was not in this story, how might the ending be different?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)