|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 7, Hearn is seeking Martinez's advice on what the troops should do. What does Hearn decide to do with the troops?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 14, what does Red feel he needs from the other men?
3. In Part 3, Chapter 1, why does Hearn feel he will have a difficult time with Croft?
4. What does Ridges do that causes him to becomes emotional?
5. The soldiers are tired and their health is beginning to fail, additionally recent events have dulled the man's spirits, however Croft does not seem to care. How do the soldiers feel about Crofts' decision to continue through the pass, given recent events?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By the end of the book, the American troops learned that they had the advantage. Additionally, Cummings felt useless intelligence and incompetent men were the reason he did not feel successful. Were the reasons giving by Cummings for his feelings of failure justified? Explain you answer using examples from the book based on Cummings character and his actions.
Essay Topic 2
Red comes from a poor family and appears to have had a difficult life. As a child there were many things about life that Red did not understand, however, this changes as he becomes an adult, specifically, during his time in the Army.
1) How does Red's time on the ship prior to getting to the island relate to his childhood memories?
2) How does this time help him understand these memories?
3) Through Red's reflections, do you think he learns anything about him self during the war?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, the reader is shown glimpses of the men's lives back home. How does the author use the literary tool of flashback throughout the novel? Is the presence of flashback used effectively, and what does it provide for the reader?"
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)