|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Martinez hope to gain by remaining loyal to the Army?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 11, who is responsible for the battle that kills General Toyaku?
3. In Part 3, Chapter 14, which soldier is Goldstein happy to have befriended?
4. In Part 3, Chapter 2, how many miles does Hearn want to travel before dark?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 4, how long did the men run before realizing that one of their men is not with them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The following essay will be on the Inner conflict of Cummings. Write an essay to address the following questions.
1) Describe the inner conflict of Cummings.
2) How did Cummings deal with his own conflict.
3) Cummings kept this conflict private except in one instance with Hearn. Describe that instance and explain how Hearn's feelings toward Cummings changed.
4) Be the end of the story, had Cummings come to terms with his inner conflict?
Essay Topic 2
Give an full analytical critique of this book. Be sure to include information about the use of literary tools such as setting, mood, themes, etc. Do not just write that you liked or disliked the book. You must provide examples to support your analysis.
Essay Topic 3
Racism is seen throughout this book. Discuss this issue in terms of the time period of the book. Would this behavior be accepted today, even in the throws of war?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)