|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cummings was the commander of the entire island, however, his part in the actual campaign is questionable. What is Cummings responsibility to the success of the attack compared to?
2. How does Wilson think he will benefit from the gun shot in the stomach?
3. What is Dalleson's aspirations for his career?
4. In Part 3, Chapter 13, who tries to bribe Martinez to defy Croft?
5. What does Hearn think of Wilson's injury?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give an full analytical critique of this book. Be sure to include information about the use of literary tools such as setting, mood, themes, etc. Do not just write that you liked or disliked the book. You must provide examples to support your analysis.
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of examples of rejection throughout this novel.
1) Give at least two examples of rejection seen on the island.
2) Give at least two examples of rejection seen in the soldiers younger lives.
3) Describe how this rejection effects various soldiers.
4) Some of the soldiers appear hardened and, therefore, do not care what the others think. Do you think these soldiers are still effected by rejection?
Essay Topic 3
Red comes from a poor family and appears to have had a difficult life. As a child there were many things about life that Red did not understand, however, this changes as he becomes an adult, specifically, during his time in the Army.
1) How does Red's time on the ship prior to getting to the island relate to his childhood memories?
2) How does this time help him understand these memories?
3) Through Red's reflections, do you think he learns anything about him self during the war?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)