|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cummings was the commander of the entire island, however, his part in the actual campaign is questionable. What is Cummings responsibility to the success of the attack compared to?
2. What does Hearn think of Wilson's injury?
3. What background does Ridges have that leads him to enjoy physical work?
4. How do the soldiers keep the toilet paper dry?
5. What is Dalleson's aspirations for his career?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Choose one of the main themes in this book. Write an essay discussing the theme and provide example supporting why you think is if a main theme for the story.
Essay Topic 2Red comes from a poor family and appears to have had a difficult life. As a child there were many things about life that Red did not understand, however, this changes as he becomes an adult, specifically, during his time in the Army. 1) How does Red's time on the ship prior to getting to the island relate to his childhood memories? 2) How does this time help him understand these memories? 3) Through Red's reflections, do you think he learns anything about him self during the war?
Essay Topic 3The men were inundated with fighting, illness, death, and injury while on the island. These events seem to cause each man to think about his own life and his own chances of leaving the island alive. 1) What are some of the superstitions held by the men on the island? 2) Do these superstitions serve as a type of foreshadowing? 3) Explain your answer by providing examples.
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)