|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cummings uses his journal to relieve tension and record his private thoughts, what is the underlying tone of Cummings' writing?
2. Which soldier carrying Wilson pretends to faint?
3. In Part 3, Chapter 2, who does Hearn decide cannot be trusted?
4. In Part 3, Chapter 1, Hearn has been placed in charge of the reconnaissance mission. How far will he and his men have to travel to spy on the Japanese soldiers?
5. What is Dalleson's aspirations for his career?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By the end of the book, the American troops learned that they had the advantage. Additionally, Cummings felt useless intelligence and incompetent men were the reason he did not feel successful. Were the reasons giving by Cummings for his feelings of failure justified? Explain you answer using examples from the book based on Cummings character and his actions.
Essay Topic 2
Red comes from a poor family and appears to have had a difficult life. As a child there were many things about life that Red did not understand, however, this changes as he becomes an adult, specifically, during his time in the Army.
1) How does Red's time on the ship prior to getting to the island relate to his childhood memories?
2) How does this time help him understand these memories?
3) Through Red's reflections, do you think he learns anything about him self during the war?
Essay Topic 3
During a flashback in Part 2, Chapter 9, the reader learns that Gallagher's father was a bully and often beat his wife.
1) How does Gallagher feel about this side of this father's character?
2) Do you think Gallagher was like his father?
3) Explain and cite examples found throughout the book to support your answer.
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)