|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One night on the mountain, Martinez expresses his wish for a chaplain. At this, Polack tells the men his opinion of religion. How does Polack feel about religion?
2. What does Martinez hope to gain by remaining loyal to the Army?
3. The men have crossed the four-foot gap in the mountain side and have witnessed Roth fall as he tried to jump it. Who does Gallagher eventually blame for Roth's death?
4. As the troop continues up the mountain, the weight of the backpacks weighs them down, making it more difficult to hike. What does Wyman do to try to lighten his pack?
5. How long does Cummings suspect it will take for men to breach the Toyaku Line?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Croft seems to have a lot of inner conflict that possibly began before the war and has only intensified since.
1) How does this conflict affect his relationships with the men in his command?
2) How does this conflict affect his relationships with men at and above his own rank?
3) If Croft was not in this story, how might the ending be different?
Essay Topic 2
The following essay will be on the Inner conflict of Cummings. Write an essay to address the following questions.
1) Describe the inner conflict of Cummings.
2) How did Cummings deal with his own conflict.
3) Cummings kept this conflict private except in one instance with Hearn. Describe that instance and explain how Hearn's feelings toward Cummings changed.
4) Be the end of the story, had Cummings come to terms with his inner conflict?
Essay Topic 3
This story takes place during WWII, while some of the man are new to the army and possible have been drafted, others have been in the army for some time and plan to remain in the army. It is likely that some men have experienced or will experience life in the army in America as this issue is discussed among the soldiers.
1) How was being in the Army different on the island compared to being in the Army in America?
2) Why do you think differences existed?
3) Explain how the men's actions and relationship might have been if they were stationed in America during the war.
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)