Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 14, why is the captain of the boat upset?
2. Cummings uses his journal to relieve tension and record his private thoughts, what is the underlying tone of Cummings' writing?
3. At this point the soldiers have turned around and are making their way back to the beach. What is the general feeling of the soldiers toward Croft?
4. How do the soldiers keep the toilet paper dry?
5. What was wrong with the reports Cummings received about the Japanese bivouac?
Essay Topic 1
Red comes from a poor family and appears to have had a difficult life. As a child there were many things about life that Red did not understand, however, this changes as he becomes an adult, specifically, during his time in the Army.
1) How does Red's time on the ship prior to getting to the island relate to his childhood memories?
2) How does this time help him understand these memories?
3) Through Red's reflections, do you think he learns anything about him self during the war?
Essay Topic 2
Croft seems to have a lot of inner conflict that possibly began before the war and has only intensified since.
1) How does this conflict affect his relationships with the men in his command?
2) How does this conflict affect his relationships with men at and above his own rank?
3) If Croft was not in this story, how might the ending be different?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one topic to discuss. Be sure to include the name of the characters(s) you choose. The basic situation that led to the conflict. Describe the conflict from both sides. Discuss the end result of the conflict. Discuss how the character(s) was changed after the conflict.
1) Conflict between two or more men in the story.
2) Conflict between a man and his environment.
3) Conflict between a man and himself.
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)