|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Martinez becomes weaker and more tired due to the journey up the mountain, he begins having hallucinations. In these hallucinations, Martinez sees the face of the dead Japanese guard. What effect does this vision have on him?
2. Which soldier states he will re-enlist?
3. In Part 3, Chapter 14, which soldier is Goldstein happy to have befriended?
4. In Part 3, Chapter 13, who tries to bribe Martinez to defy Croft?
5. As the troop continues up the mountain, the weight of the backpacks weighs them down, making it more difficult to hike. What does Wyman do to try to lighten his pack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This story takes place during WWII, while some of the man are new to the army and possible have been drafted, others have been in the army for some time and plan to remain in the army. It is likely that some men have experienced or will experience life in the army in America as this issue is discussed among the soldiers.
1) How was being in the Army different on the island compared to being in the Army in America?
2) Why do you think differences existed?
3) Explain how the men's actions and relationship might have been if they were stationed in America during the war.
Essay Topic 2
By the end of the book, the American troops learned that they had the advantage. Additionally, Cummings felt useless intelligence and incompetent men were the reason he did not feel successful. Were the reasons giving by Cummings for his feelings of failure justified? Explain you answer using examples from the book based on Cummings character and his actions.
Essay Topic 3
Red comes from a poor family and appears to have had a difficult life. As a child there were many things about life that Red did not understand, however, this changes as he becomes an adult, specifically, during his time in the Army.
1) How does Red's time on the ship prior to getting to the island relate to his childhood memories?
2) How does this time help him understand these memories?
3) Through Red's reflections, do you think he learns anything about him self during the war?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)