|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One night, Gallagher and Martinez talk about Martinez's search mission of the pass. Martinez admits that he killed a Japanese soldier. What does Gallagher think of Martinez for killing the Japanese soldier?
2. What was wrong with the reports Cummings received about the Japanese bivouac?
3. How does Wilson think he will benefit from the gun shot in the stomach?
4. In Part 3, Chapter 14, what does Red feel he needs from the other men?
5. What does Hearn suggest when the men reach the open field?
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place on a fictional island.
1) Were the events in the book indicative of actual historical events? Explain your answer.
2) Are there any recorded battles that took place on a similar island? .
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, the reader is shown glimpses of the men's lives back home. How does the author use the literary tool of flashback throughout the novel? Is the presence of flashback used effectively, and what does it provide for the reader?"
Essay Topic 3
Red comes from a poor family and appears to have had a difficult life. As a child there were many things about life that Red did not understand, however, this changes as he becomes an adult, specifically, during his time in the Army.
1) How does Red's time on the ship prior to getting to the island relate to his childhood memories?
2) How does this time help him understand these memories?
3) Through Red's reflections, do you think he learns anything about him self during the war?
This section contains 1,424 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)