|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dalleson feel about being chief of operations?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 1, why does Hearn feel he will have a difficult time with Croft?
3. In Part 3, Chapter 9, how far could the men carrying Wilson go before having to take a break?
4. At this point the soldiers have turned around and are making their way back to the beach. What is the general feeling of the soldiers toward Croft?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 4, why does Hearn think the men resist his leadership?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give an full analytical critique of this book. Be sure to include information about the use of literary tools such as setting, mood, themes, etc. Do not just write that you liked or disliked the book. You must provide examples to support your analysis.
Essay Topic 2
Mailer uses a common literary tool of a flashback in a very unusual way. This purpose of this method is to provide the reader with additional information about the characters.
1) What is the time machine?
2) How does Mailer use this story telling method for character development?
3) Do any of the character learn anything from remembering their past and comparing it to the present?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, the reader is shown glimpses of the men's lives back home. How does the author use the literary tool of flashback throughout the novel? Is the presence of flashback used effectively, and what does it provide for the reader?"
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)