|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job is Dalleson most confident at performing?
2. What is Dalleson's aspirations for his career?
3. As the soldier's carry Wilson to the beach, his continually complains that he is thirsty. However the men say he can not drink any water with his injury. What is the explanation they give Wilson for not being allowed any water?
4. During a conversation with Gallagher about killing a Japanese soldier, Martinez begins to feel guilty and also begins thinking about death. As he thinks about these things, he wishes there was a chaplain with the men. Why does Martinez wish there was a chaplain with them?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 5, at night Wilson is very vocal. How does Brown try to keep him quiet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the history of this novel. Research the period of WWII and write an essay that answers the following:
1) What is the significance of this time period?
2) In your opinion, do you think the story would have had the same meaning if written in a different time period?
3) What effect did this novel have on the general public at this time it was published?
Essay Topic 2
By the end of the book, the American troops learned that they had the advantage. Additionally, Cummings felt useless intelligence and incompetent men were the reason he did not feel successful. Were the reasons giving by Cummings for his feelings of failure justified? Explain you answer using examples from the book based on Cummings character and his actions.
Essay Topic 3
Red comes from a poor family and appears to have had a difficult life. As a child there were many things about life that Red did not understand, however, this changes as he becomes an adult, specifically, during his time in the Army.
1) How does Red's time on the ship prior to getting to the island relate to his childhood memories?
2) How does this time help him understand these memories?
3) Through Red's reflections, do you think he learns anything about him self during the war?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)