|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 14, why is the captain of the boat upset?
2. Cummings uses his journal to relieve tension and record his private thoughts, what is the underlying tone of Cummings' writing?
3. At this point the soldiers have turned around and are making their way back to the beach. What is the general feeling of the soldiers toward Croft?
4. How do the soldiers keep the toilet paper dry?
5. What was wrong with the reports Cummings received about the Japanese bivouac?
Essay Topic 1
The men were inundated with fighting, illness, death, and injury while on the island. These events seem to cause each man to think about his own life and his own chances of leaving the island alive.
1) What are some of the superstitions held by the men on the island?
2) Do these superstitions serve as a type of foreshadowing?
3) Explain your answer by providing examples.
Essay Topic 2
The treatment of the officers compared to the soldiers is discussed a number of times throughout the book.
1) How are the officers treated as compared to the soldiers?
2) From an officer's viewpoint, why are the soldiers and officers treated differently? Cite examples from specific characters.
3) From a soldier's viewpoint, why are the soldiers and officers treated differently? Cite examples from specific characters.
4) Which view point do you agree with and why? If you do not agree with either, explain.
Essay Topic 3
Mailer uses a common literary tool of a flashback in a very unusual way. This purpose of this method is to provide the reader with additional information about the characters.
1) What is the time machine?
2) How does Mailer use this story telling method for character development?
3) Do any of the character learn anything from remembering their past and comparing it to the present?
This section contains 1,411 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)