|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 14, what does Red feel he needs from the other men?
2. As he is being carried through the jungle to the beach, Wilson dies. What do the men carrying Wilson do after he dies?
3. As Martinez becomes weaker and more tired due to the journey up the mountain, he begins having hallucinations. In these hallucinations, Martinez sees the face of the dead Japanese guard. What effect does this vision have on him?
4. At this point the soldiers have turned around and are making their way back to the beach. What is the general feeling of the soldiers toward Croft?
5. What does Hearn think of Wilson's injury?
Essay Topic 1
The treatment of the officers compared to the soldiers is discussed a number of times throughout the book.
1) How are the officers treated as compared to the soldiers?
2) From an officer's viewpoint, why are the soldiers and officers treated differently? Cite examples from specific characters.
3) From a soldier's viewpoint, why are the soldiers and officers treated differently? Cite examples from specific characters.
4) Which view point do you agree with and why? If you do not agree with either, explain.
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of examples of rejection throughout this novel.
1) Give at least two examples of rejection seen on the island.
2) Give at least two examples of rejection seen in the soldiers younger lives.
3) Describe how this rejection effects various soldiers.
4) Some of the soldiers appear hardened and, therefore, do not care what the others think. Do you think these soldiers are still effected by rejection?
Essay Topic 3
By the end of the book, the American troops learned that they had the advantage. Additionally, Cummings felt useless intelligence and incompetent men were the reason he did not feel successful. Were the reasons giving by Cummings for his feelings of failure justified? Explain you answer using examples from the book based on Cummings character and his actions.
This section contains 1,423 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)