|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 2, who does Mantelli send to Croft's platoon?
2. In what body of water is the island of Anopopei located?
3. During Part 1, Chapter 1, what does Wilson daydream of doing on the island?
4. In Martinez's flashback in Part 2, Chapter 2, what did he dream of becoming?
5. What is Cummings motive behind assigning Hearn tasks such as bringing him fresh flowers and taking liquor to the officer's mess tent?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Cummings use of the destroyer unnecessary?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 7, the American troops engage some Japanese soldiers. What are Red and Gallagher's reactions to how Croft handles the situation?
3. As the men continue to trek up the mountain, what is their general physical condition?
4. As the men are on the transport boats, they begin to hear gunfire. In your own words, how does the narrator describe this event?
5. Why does Cummings begin to lose control of the men and what were his feeling about this?
6. What is learned about Cummings sexuality in Part 2, Chapter 6 and what leads to this conclusion?
7. What is Hearn's punishment, so to speak, for questioning Cummings's division of the food?
8. Why does Brown sometimes wish he was only a private?
9. How does Minetta's plan to be moved to the mental ward backfire?
10. Describe Dalleson's advancement in the army and how he feels about his current position.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The following essay will be on the Inner conflict of Cummings. Write an essay to address the following questions.
1) Describe the inner conflict of Cummings.
2) How did Cummings deal with his own conflict.
3) Cummings kept this conflict private except in one instance with Hearn. Describe that instance and explain how Hearn's feelings toward Cummings changed.
4) Be the end of the story, had Cummings come to terms with his inner conflict?
Essay Topic 2
By the end of the book, the American troops learned that they had the advantage. Additionally, Cummings felt useless intelligence and incompetent men were the reason he did not feel successful. Were the reasons giving by Cummings for his feelings of failure justified? Explain you answer using examples from the book based on Cummings character and his actions.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one topic to discuss. Be sure to include the name of the characters(s) you choose. The basic situation that led to the conflict. Describe the conflict from both sides. Discuss the end result of the conflict. Discuss how the character(s) was changed after the conflict.
1) Conflict between two or more men in the story.
2) Conflict between a man and his environment.
3) Conflict between a man and himself.
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)