|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 5, what is Roth dreaming of when Minetta woke him up?
2. Who does Stanley begin to lose respect for after his promotion?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 6, who is in charge of setting up the recreation tent?
4. Croft has a flashback and the reader learns that he joined a different branch of the military before joining the Army. What was the first branch Croft joined?
5. What events led to Croft joining the Army?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hearn think he is becoming a prude?
2. What is Cummings solution to bring the men back in line and give one example of this?
3. Why does Brown sometimes wish he was only a private?
4. Why does Hearn think that a relationship with Croft will be difficult?
5. What is the general mood on board of the ship as the men leave the island?
6. Why are the officers upset about the food they receive in the Army?
7. What do the mail clerks think about the return address on Hennessey's mail?
8. What do the soldiers carry on their backs through the jungle and how much does it weigh?
9. What seems to be Ridges main concern or frustration when the stretcher with Wilson on it is washed away?
10. How did Stanley get money before the war and what are the other men's reaction to this method?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Explore the history of this novel. Research the period of WWII and write an essay that answers the following: 1) What is the significance of this time period? 2) In your opinion, do you think the story would have had the same meaning if written in a different time period? 3) What effect did this novel have on the general public at this time it was published?
Essay Topic 2Choose one of the main themes in this book. Write an essay discussing the theme and provide example supporting why you think is if a main theme for the story.
Essay Topic 3During a flashback in Part 2, Chapter 9, the reader learns that Gallagher's father was a bully and often beat his wife. 1) How does Gallagher feel about this side of this father's character? 2) Do you think Gallagher was like his father? 3) Explain and cite examples found throughout the book to support your answer.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)