|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 7, who throws the grenade at the Japanese soldiers?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 2, what does Croft think about himself?
3. As the weather turns for the worse and the tents are being blown away, what is the general mood of the men?
4. Who does Cummings blame for him not knowing the severity of the storm?
5. How many letters does the dead soldier Hennessey receive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hearn dislike Conn, Hobart, and Dalleson?
2. As the troops enter the jungle, what is their strategy for getting through the dense terrain?
3. What is the general mood on board of the ship as the men leave the island?
4. What is it about Roth that Minetta and Wyman like?
5. What seems to be Ridges main concern or frustration when the stretcher with Wilson on it is washed away?
6. What is learned about Cummings sexuality in Part 2, Chapter 6 and what leads to this conclusion?
7. Why does Hearn think he is becoming a prude?
8. In Part 2, Chapter 7, the American troops engage some Japanese soldiers. What are Red and Gallagher's reactions to how Croft handles the situation?
9. What do the soldiers carry on their backs through the jungle and how much does it weigh?
10. Why were the soldiers in so much shock when Hearn is shot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The treatment of the officers compared to the soldiers is discussed a number of times throughout the book.
1) How are the officers treated as compared to the soldiers?
2) From an officer's viewpoint, why are the soldiers and officers treated differently? Cite examples from specific characters.
3) From a soldier's viewpoint, why are the soldiers and officers treated differently? Cite examples from specific characters.
4) Which view point do you agree with and why? If you do not agree with either, explain.
Essay Topic 2
During a flashback in Part 2, Chapter 9, the reader learns that Gallagher's father was a bully and often beat his wife.
1) How does Gallagher feel about this side of this father's character?
2) Do you think Gallagher was like his father?
3) Explain and cite examples found throughout the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place on a fictional island.
1) Were the events in the book indicative of actual historical events? Explain your answer.
2) Are there any recorded battles that took place on a similar island? .
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)