|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 3, which character is upset that the officers have a higher standard of living than the soldiers?
2. In what body of water is the island of Anopopei located?
3. Why is Cummings upset about when reviewing the air operations reports?
4. As the book opens, which solider is not taking the card game seriously and offers to give back some of his winnings?
5. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 5, what is Roth dreaming of when Minetta woke him up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hearn think that a relationship with Croft will be difficult?
2. How are Croft's instructions to Martinez regarding his mission to inspect the mountain pass deceiving toward Hearn?
3. What do the mail clerks think about the return address on Hennessey's mail?
4. How does Hearn's insecurity show in Part 3, Chapter 2?
5. How does the narrator describe the quietness of the jungle?
6. Why were the soldiers in so much shock when Hearn is shot?
7. What is it about Roth that Minetta and Wyman like?
8. What is Hearn's punishment, so to speak, for questioning Cummings's division of the food?
9. As the men are on the transport boats, they begin to hear gunfire. In your own words, how does the narrator describe this event?
10. What are Croft's feelings aboutHearn joining the platoon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some authors will write based on experience and may at time identify with one of the characters in their stories. Research the life of Norma Mailer to answer the following question: do you think Mailer is like any of the characters in his story? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Mailer uses a common literary tool of a flashback in a very unusual way. This purpose of this method is to provide the reader with additional information about the characters.
1) What is the time machine?
2) How does Mailer use this story telling method for character development?
3) Do any of the character learn anything from remembering their past and comparing it to the present?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the history of this novel. Research the period of WWII and write an essay that answers the following:
1) What is the significance of this time period?
2) In your opinion, do you think the story would have had the same meaning if written in a different time period?
3) What effect did this novel have on the general public at this time it was published?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)