|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Red's flashback the reader learns that Red began work at an early age. What type of work did Red do from age 13 to 18?
2. What game does Cummings and Hearn play, after Cummings states it is his only passion?
3. During Gallagher's flashback, what organization does the reader learn he joined as a teenager?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 8, what are Conn's true feelings about Wakara?
5. The men were taking a break and relaxing on the beach, as the men are talking, Croft becomes angry and fires a shot into the woods, what happens next that creates fear and panic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Hearn's feeling as he thinks about the platoon, Cummings, and Croft?
2. Why does Hearn dislike Conn, Hobart, and Dalleson?
3. What is Hearn's punishment, so to speak, for questioning Cummings's division of the food?
4. When the men run into a snake, Wilson seems to be talking about swimming and a boat. But Brown recognizes Wilson is remembering what?
5. Describe the men's tents.
6. How did Wakara feel about Japan as a child compared to how he feels about it as an adult?
7. Why is Dalleson and not Cummings recognized for the successful end of the campaign?
8. What is the general mood on board of the ship as the men leave the island?
9. How does Minetta's plan to be moved to the mental ward backfire?
10. What is it about Roth that Minetta and Wyman like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The following essay will be on the Inner conflict of Cummings. Write an essay to address the following questions.
1) Describe the inner conflict of Cummings.
2) How did Cummings deal with his own conflict.
3) Cummings kept this conflict private except in one instance with Hearn. Describe that instance and explain how Hearn's feelings toward Cummings changed.
4) Be the end of the story, had Cummings come to terms with his inner conflict?
Essay Topic 2
Some authors will write based on experience and may at time identify with one of the characters in their stories. Research the life of Norma Mailer to answer the following question: do you think Mailer is like any of the characters in his story? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
During a flashback in Part 2, Chapter 9, the reader learns that Gallagher's father was a bully and often beat his wife.
1) How does Gallagher feel about this side of this father's character?
2) Do you think Gallagher was like his father?
3) Explain and cite examples found throughout the book to support your answer.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)