Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times did Wilson say he has had venereal disease?
2. Why is Cummings upset about when reviewing the air operations reports?
3. What does Hearn request of Cummings in Part 2, Chapter 11?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 8, how does Wakara feel around the other men?
5. During Gallagher's flashback, what organization does the reader learn he joined as a teenager?
Short Essay Questions
1. During Part 2, Chapter 7, what does Martinez do in the souvenir hut?
2. Why does Hearn dislike Conn, Hobart, and Dalleson?
3. Why does Cummings begin to lose control of the men and what were his feeling about this?
4. How does the narrator describe the pace of Ridges and Goldstein as they carry Wilson through the jungle?
5. Describe Dalleson's advancement in the army and how he feels about his current position.
6. What is Goldstein's reasoning for the tents not staying up and how does he solve this problem?
7. After carrying Wilson and enduring the heat and exhaustion, why didn't the men leave Wilson behind?
8. Why does Red reject Hearn's offer to be promoted to corporal?
9. Why does Hearn think he is becoming a prude?
10. In the opening scene, some of the men are playing cards. How does this card game reveal pieces of the men's personalities?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the main themes in this book. Write an essay discussing the theme and provide example supporting why you think is if a main theme for the story.
Essay Topic 2
During a flashback in Part 2, Chapter 9, the reader learns that Gallagher's father was a bully and often beat his wife.
1) How does Gallagher feel about this side of this father's character?
2) Do you think Gallagher was like his father?
3) Explain and cite examples found throughout the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Mailer uses a common literary tool of a flashback in a very unusual way. This purpose of this method is to provide the reader with additional information about the characters.
1) What is the time machine?
2) How does Mailer use this story telling method for character development?
3) Do any of the character learn anything from remembering their past and comparing it to the present?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)