|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How big is the island?
2. What happens physically to Cummings as things begin to go wrong?
3. How does the commanding officer describe Anopopei?
4. How do the soldiers feel about the conditions of the island?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what does Hearn feel guilty over?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Stanley get money before the war and what are the other men's reaction to this method?
2. What does Mailer accomplish in the first chapter in terms of mood and characters?
3. Through confusion and exhaustion, why does Martinez feel guilty in Part 3, Chapter 10?
4. What seems to be Ridges main concern or frustration when the stretcher with Wilson on it is washed away?
5. Polack and Minetta discuss wearing dirty clothes. What are each man's thoughts on this?
6. Do you think that Hearn suspects any deception from Croft? Why or why not?
7. What is the general mood on board of the ship as the men leave the island?
8. After carrying Wilson and enduring the heat and exhaustion, why didn't the men leave Wilson behind?
9. How does Minetta's plan to be moved to the mental ward backfire?
10. As the men continue to build the road, what thoughts begin to cross their minds and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some authors will write based on experience and may at time identify with one of the characters in their stories. Research the life of Norma Mailer to answer the following question: do you think Mailer is like any of the characters in his story? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, the reader is shown glimpses of the men's lives back home. How does the author use the literary tool of flashback throughout the novel? Is the presence of flashback used effectively, and what does it provide for the reader?"
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the main themes in this book. Write an essay discussing the theme and provide example supporting why you think is if a main theme for the story.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)