|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By Part 2, Chapter 2, why has Croft become frustrated on the island?
2. What does Cummings feel is the nature of a woman?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 1, the men are now on the island, who is the commanding officer on the island?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 5, as Roth thinks about his wife, what can the reader guess about her feelings toward him?
5. Hearn has a flashback about his childhood. How is his mother described during this flashback?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dalleson tasked to prepare the logistics for the attack on Toyaku Line?
2. Why does Hearn think that a relationship with Croft will be difficult?
3. In the opening scene, some of the men are playing cards. How does this card game reveal pieces of the men's personalities?
4. What is Hearn's punishment, so to speak, for questioning Cummings's division of the food?
5. What are Croft's feelings aboutHearn joining the platoon?
6. How is Cummings use of the destroyer unnecessary?
7. How did Wakara feel about Japan as a child compared to how he feels about it as an adult?
8. How are Croft's instructions to Martinez regarding his mission to inspect the mountain pass deceiving toward Hearn?
9. Why does Hearn think he is becoming a prude?
10. How does the narrator describe the quietness of the jungle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mailer uses the literary technique often throughout this book. Describe what a flashback is and why it is used in literature.
1) How does Mailer use the writing technique?
2) What is the significance of the flashbacks in this novel?
3) Do you think the flashbacks enhanced the story, why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Red comes from a poor family and appears to have had a difficult life. As a child there were many things about life that Red did not understand, however, this changes as he becomes an adult, specifically, during his time in the Army.
1) How does Red's time on the ship prior to getting to the island relate to his childhood memories?
2) How does this time help him understand these memories?
3) Through Red's reflections, do you think he learns anything about him self during the war?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place on a fictional island.
1) Were the events in the book indicative of actual historical events? Explain your answer.
2) Are there any recorded battles that took place on a similar island? .
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)