|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what does Hearn feel guilty over?
2. In Martinez's flashback in Part 2, Chapter 2, what did he dream of becoming?
3. What is the General's worst fear about the island?
4. Wilson had a flashback to his life before the war. During this flashback the reader learns the Wilson admires his father for what reason?
5. How does Brown feel about being a sergeant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mailer accomplish in the first chapter in terms of mood and characters?
2. Why do the men continue to march up the mountain despite their attempts and threats to quit?
3. How did Stanley get money before the war and what are the other men's reaction to this method?
4. Describe the men's tents.
5. How does the delay in the mail system make it difficult for Gallagher to accept his wife's death?
6. As the men continue to build the road, what thoughts begin to cross their minds and why?
7. Describe Croft's recurring nightmare.
8. Why are the officers upset about the food they receive in the Army?
9. Why does Hearn dislike Conn, Hobart, and Dalleson?
10. What is learned about Cummings sexuality in Part 2, Chapter 6 and what leads to this conclusion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mailer uses a common literary tool of a flashback in a very unusual way. This purpose of this method is to provide the reader with additional information about the characters.
1) What is the time machine?
2) How does Mailer use this story telling method for character development?
3) Do any of the character learn anything from remembering their past and comparing it to the present?
Essay Topic 2
The men were inundated with fighting, illness, death, and injury while on the island. These events seem to cause each man to think about his own life and his own chances of leaving the island alive.
1) What are some of the superstitions held by the men on the island?
2) Do these superstitions serve as a type of foreshadowing?
3) Explain your answer by providing examples.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, the reader is shown glimpses of the men's lives back home. How does the author use the literary tool of flashback throughout the novel? Is the presence of flashback used effectively, and what does it provide for the reader?"
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)