|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Red's strategy for dealing with his current situation of being at war?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 9, who delivers the bad news to Gallagher?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 10, who does Gallagher realize is the only person who understands him?
4. What do the troops take from the dead Japanese major?
5. Leach offers a number of excuses why he can not take a picture of Dalleson. Which of the following is not one of his excuses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Goldstein's reasoning for the tents not staying up and how does he solve this problem?
2. What do the American troops learn about the Japanese troops after the campaign was over?
3. What does Cummings think about the campaign in general?
4. What does Mailer accomplish in the first chapter in terms of mood and characters?
5. Why are the officers upset about the food they receive in the Army?
6. Why does Hearn think he is becoming a prude?
7. What is Hearn's punishment, so to speak, for questioning Cummings's division of the food?
8. Why does Cummings begin to lose control of the men and what were his feeling about this?
9. Why does Hearn dislike Conn, Hobart, and Dalleson?
10. Why is Gallagher upset with Wilson's reply to his wife's letter?
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of examples of rejection throughout this novel.
1) Give at least two examples of rejection seen on the island.
2) Give at least two examples of rejection seen in the soldiers younger lives.
3) Describe how this rejection effects various soldiers.
4) Some of the soldiers appear hardened and, therefore, do not care what the others think. Do you think these soldiers are still effected by rejection?
Essay Topic 2
During a flashback in Part 2, Chapter 9, the reader learns that Gallagher's father was a bully and often beat his wife.
1) How does Gallagher feel about this side of this father's character?
2) Do you think Gallagher was like his father?
3) Explain and cite examples found throughout the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, the reader is shown glimpses of the men's lives back home. How does the author use the literary tool of flashback throughout the novel? Is the presence of flashback used effectively, and what does it provide for the reader?"
This section contains 1,813 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)