|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what does Hearn feel guilty over?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 12, why does Red decide to go to the hospital?
3. What is Red's strategy for dealing with his current situation of being at war?
4. What ulterior motive does Cummings have for his relationship with Hearn?
5. What is the relationship between Cummings and Hearn like?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Croft's instructions to Martinez regarding his mission to inspect the mountain pass deceiving toward Hearn?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 7, the American troops engage some Japanese soldiers. What are Red and Gallagher's reactions to how Croft handles the situation?
3. Why is Dalleson and not Cummings recognized for the successful end of the campaign?
4. What is Cummings solution to bring the men back in line and give one example of this?
5. As the men are on the transport boats, they begin to hear gunfire. In your own words, how does the narrator describe this event?
6. What are Croft's feelings aboutHearn joining the platoon?
7. Why does Cummings begin to lose control of the men and what were his feeling about this?
8. How did Stanley get money before the war and what are the other men's reaction to this method?
9. Why does Hearn dislike Conn, Hobart, and Dalleson?
10. What do the mail clerks think about the return address on Hennessey's mail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one topic to discuss. Be sure to include the name of the characters(s) you choose. The basic situation that led to the conflict. Describe the conflict from both sides. Discuss the end result of the conflict. Discuss how the character(s) was changed after the conflict.
1) Conflict between two or more men in the story.
2) Conflict between a man and his environment.
3) Conflict between a man and himself.
Essay Topic 2
Give an full analytical critique of this book. Be sure to include information about the use of literary tools such as setting, mood, themes, etc. Do not just write that you liked or disliked the book. You must provide examples to support your analysis.
Essay Topic 3
Mailer uses a common literary tool of a flashback in a very unusual way. This purpose of this method is to provide the reader with additional information about the characters.
1) What is the time machine?
2) How does Mailer use this story telling method for character development?
3) Do any of the character learn anything from remembering their past and comparing it to the present?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)