|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Gallagher thinks about the past, why is he upset about the post office job?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 8, how does Wakara feel around the other men?
3. At what time do the troops reach Anopopei?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 2, who does Mantelli send to Croft's platoon?
5. How does Minetta think the injured are treated?
Short Essay Questions
1. Polack and Minetta discuss wearing dirty clothes. What are each man's thoughts on this?
2. How is Wilson described in chapter 1?
3. As the men are on the transport boats, they begin to hear gunfire. In your own words, how does the narrator describe this event?
4. In the opening scene, some of the men are playing cards. How does this card game reveal pieces of the men's personalities?
5. What is the general mood on board of the ship as the men leave the island?
6. Why does Hearn dislike Conn, Hobart, and Dalleson?
7. What is it about Roth that Minetta and Wyman like?
8. Why is Dalleson tasked to prepare the logistics for the attack on Toyaku Line?
9. What does Cummings think about the campaign in general?
10. What are Hearn's feeling as he thinks about the platoon, Cummings, and Croft?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the main themes in this book. Write an essay discussing the theme and provide example supporting why you think is if a main theme for the story.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, the reader is shown glimpses of the men's lives back home. How does the author use the literary tool of flashback throughout the novel? Is the presence of flashback used effectively, and what does it provide for the reader?"
Essay Topic 3
The men were inundated with fighting, illness, death, and injury while on the island. These events seem to cause each man to think about his own life and his own chances of leaving the island alive.
1) What are some of the superstitions held by the men on the island?
2) Do these superstitions serve as a type of foreshadowing?
3) Explain your answer by providing examples.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)