|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 1, the men are now on the island, who is the commanding officer on the island?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 9, how is the life of these soldiers described?
3. In Martinez's flashback in Part 2, Chapter 2, what did he dream of becoming?
4. What has Stanley's promotion to corporal done for him?
5. What events led to Croft joining the Army?
Short Essay Questions
1. What seems to be Ridges main concern or frustration when the stretcher with Wilson on it is washed away?
2. What is it about Roth that Minetta and Wyman like?
3. As the troops enter the jungle, what is their strategy for getting through the dense terrain?
4. Why is Dalleson and not Cummings recognized for the successful end of the campaign?
5. How is Cummings use of the destroyer unnecessary?
6. What is Goldstein's reasoning for the tents not staying up and how does he solve this problem?
7. What do the American troops learn about the Japanese troops after the campaign was over?
8. Why is Dalleson tasked to prepare the logistics for the attack on Toyaku Line?
9. As the men continue to build the road, what thoughts begin to cross their minds and why?
10. How are Croft's instructions to Martinez regarding his mission to inspect the mountain pass deceiving toward Hearn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Red comes from a poor family and appears to have had a difficult life. As a child there were many things about life that Red did not understand, however, this changes as he becomes an adult, specifically, during his time in the Army.
1) How does Red's time on the ship prior to getting to the island relate to his childhood memories?
2) How does this time help him understand these memories?
3) Through Red's reflections, do you think he learns anything about him self during the war?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the history of this novel. Research the period of WWII and write an essay that answers the following:
1) What is the significance of this time period?
2) In your opinion, do you think the story would have had the same meaning if written in a different time period?
3) What effect did this novel have on the general public at this time it was published?
Essay Topic 3
Mailer uses the literary technique often throughout this book. Describe what a flashback is and why it is used in literature.
1) How does Mailer use the writing technique?
2) What is the significance of the flashbacks in this novel?
3) Do you think the flashbacks enhanced the story, why or why not?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)