|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 5, what is Roth dreaming of when Minetta woke him up?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 2, who does Mantelli send to Croft's platoon?
3. At what time do the troops reach Anopopei?
4. By Part 2, Chapter 2, why has Croft become frustrated on the island?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 2, why does Hennessey run out of the foxhole?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Hearn's feeling as he thinks about the platoon, Cummings, and Croft?
2. Why is Gallagher upset with Wilson's reply to his wife's letter?
3. What is it about Roth that Minetta and Wyman like?
4. What is Hearn's punishment, so to speak, for questioning Cummings's division of the food?
5. What is Goldstein's reasoning for the tents not staying up and how does he solve this problem?
6. What does Cummings think about the campaign in general?
7. During Part 2, Chapter 7, what does Martinez do in the souvenir hut?
8. As the troops enter the jungle, what is their strategy for getting through the dense terrain?
9. Why does Hearn think he is becoming a prude?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 5, for the first time Croft realizes that he is afraid. What are the circumstances for this realization?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Racism is seen throughout this book. Discuss this issue in terms of the time period of the book. Would this behavior be accepted today, even in the throws of war?
Essay Topic 2
Red comes from a poor family and appears to have had a difficult life. As a child there were many things about life that Red did not understand, however, this changes as he becomes an adult, specifically, during his time in the Army.
1) How does Red's time on the ship prior to getting to the island relate to his childhood memories?
2) How does this time help him understand these memories?
3) Through Red's reflections, do you think he learns anything about him self during the war?
Essay Topic 3
Mailer uses the literary technique often throughout this book. Describe what a flashback is and why it is used in literature.
1) How does Mailer use the writing technique?
2) What is the significance of the flashbacks in this novel?
3) Do you think the flashbacks enhanced the story, why or why not?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)