Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times did Wilson say he has had venereal disease?
2. Why is Cummings upset about when reviewing the air operations reports?
3. What does Hearn request of Cummings in Part 2, Chapter 11?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 8, how does Wakara feel around the other men?
5. During Gallagher's flashback, what organization does the reader learn he joined as a teenager?
Short Essay Questions
1. During Part 2, Chapter 7, what does Martinez do in the souvenir hut?
2. Why does Hearn dislike Conn, Hobart, and Dalleson?
3. Why does Cummings begin to lose control of the men and what were his feeling about this?
4. How does the narrator describe the pace of Ridges and Goldstein as they carry Wilson through the jungle?
5. Describe Dalleson's advancement in the army and how he feels about his current position.
6. What is Goldstein's reasoning for the tents not staying up and how does he solve this problem?
7. After carrying Wilson and enduring the heat and exhaustion, why didn't the men leave Wilson behind?
8. Why does Red reject Hearn's offer to be promoted to corporal?
9. Why does Hearn think he is becoming a prude?
10. In the opening scene, some of the men are playing cards. How does this card game reveal pieces of the men's personalities?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the main themes in this book. Write an essay discussing the theme and provide example supporting why you think is if a main theme for the story.
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of examples of rejection throughout this novel.
1) Give at least two examples of rejection seen on the island.
2) Give at least two examples of rejection seen in the soldiers younger lives.
3) Describe how this rejection effects various soldiers.
4) Some of the soldiers appear hardened and, therefore, do not care what the others think. Do you think these soldiers are still effected by rejection?
Essay Topic 3
By the end of the book, the American troops learned that they had the advantage. Additionally, Cummings felt useless intelligence and incompetent men were the reason he did not feel successful. Were the reasons giving by Cummings for his feelings of failure justified? Explain you answer using examples from the book based on Cummings character and his actions.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)