|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 9, what bad news does Gallagher receive?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 8, how does Wakara feel around the other men?
3. What is Cummings reasoning for treating the soldiers unfairly?
4. When fresh food arrives, how does Cummings divided it between the 180 soldiers and 38 officers?
5. What has Stanley's promotion to corporal done for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the mail clerks think about the return address on Hennessey's mail?
2. Why does Hearn think that a relationship with Croft will be difficult?
3. Describe Dalleson's advancement in the army and how he feels about his current position.
4. What does the descriptive text imply about the tone of the opening scene of chapter 1?
5. Why are the officers upset about the food they receive in the Army?
6. Why does Brown sometimes wish he was only a private?
7. As the men are on the transport boats, they begin to hear gunfire. In your own words, how does the narrator describe this event?
8. Why is Gallagher upset with Wilson's reply to his wife's letter?
9. How does Hearn's insecurity show in Part 3, Chapter 2?
10. How does the delay in the mail system make it difficult for Gallagher to accept his wife's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some authors will write based on experience and may at time identify with one of the characters in their stories. Research the life of Norma Mailer to answer the following question: do you think Mailer is like any of the characters in his story? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
This story takes place during WWII, while some of the man are new to the army and possible have been drafted, others have been in the army for some time and plan to remain in the army. It is likely that some men have experienced or will experience life in the army in America as this issue is discussed among the soldiers.
1) How was being in the Army different on the island compared to being in the Army in America?
2) Why do you think differences existed?
3) Explain how the men's actions and relationship might have been if they were stationed in America during the war.
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place on a fictional island.
1) Were the events in the book indicative of actual historical events? Explain your answer.
2) Are there any recorded battles that took place on a similar island? .
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)