|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Part 1, Chapter 1, what does Wilson daydream of doing on the island?
2. As the weather turns for the worse and the tents are being blown away, what is the general mood of the men?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 5, as Roth thinks about his wife, what can the reader guess about her feelings toward him?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 8, how does Wakara feel around the other men?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 9, how is the life of these soldiers described?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Goldstein's reasoning for the tents not staying up and how does he solve this problem?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 7, the American troops engage some Japanese soldiers. What are Red and Gallagher's reactions to how Croft handles the situation?
3. Why does Hearn dislike Conn, Hobart, and Dalleson?
4. As the men continue to trek up the mountain, what is their general physical condition?
5. Through confusion and exhaustion, why does Martinez feel guilty in Part 3, Chapter 10?
6. How did Stanley get money before the war and what are the other men's reaction to this method?
7. Why is Gallagher upset with Wilson's reply to his wife's letter?
8. What does Mailer accomplish in the first chapter in terms of mood and characters?
9. How did Wakara feel about Japan as a child compared to how he feels about it as an adult?
10. What is it about Roth that Minetta and Wyman like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place on a fictional island.
1) Were the events in the book indicative of actual historical events? Explain your answer.
2) Are there any recorded battles that took place on a similar island? .
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of examples of rejection throughout this novel.
1) Give at least two examples of rejection seen on the island.
2) Give at least two examples of rejection seen in the soldiers younger lives.
3) Describe how this rejection effects various soldiers.
4) Some of the soldiers appear hardened and, therefore, do not care what the others think. Do you think these soldiers are still effected by rejection?
Essay Topic 3
By the end of the book, the American troops learned that they had the advantage. Additionally, Cummings felt useless intelligence and incompetent men were the reason he did not feel successful. Were the reasons giving by Cummings for his feelings of failure justified? Explain you answer using examples from the book based on Cummings character and his actions.
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)