|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Minetta think the injured are treated?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 7, who finds the illicit whiskey?
3. How many letters does the dead soldier Hennessey receive?
4. What is Cummings motive behind assigning Hearn tasks such as bringing him fresh flowers and taking liquor to the officer's mess tent?
5. As Gallagher thinks about the past, why is he upset about the post office job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Croft's feelings aboutHearn joining the platoon?
2. In the opening scene, some of the men are playing cards. How does this card game reveal pieces of the men's personalities?
3. What seems to be Ridges main concern or frustration when the stretcher with Wilson on it is washed away?
4. Why is Gallagher upset with Wilson's reply to his wife's letter?
5. How did Wakara feel about Japan as a child compared to how he feels about it as an adult?
6. How did Stanley get money before the war and what are the other men's reaction to this method?
7. Through confusion and exhaustion, why does Martinez feel guilty in Part 3, Chapter 10?
8. How does the delay in the mail system make it difficult for Gallagher to accept his wife's death?
9. What is it about Roth that Minetta and Wyman like?
10. How are Croft and Hearn's feelings about Wilson's injury in contrast to the rules?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The men were inundated with fighting, illness, death, and injury while on the island. These events seem to cause each man to think about his own life and his own chances of leaving the island alive.
1) What are some of the superstitions held by the men on the island?
2) Do these superstitions serve as a type of foreshadowing?
3) Explain your answer by providing examples.
Essay Topic 2
By the end of the book, the American troops learned that they had the advantage. Additionally, Cummings felt useless intelligence and incompetent men were the reason he did not feel successful. Were the reasons giving by Cummings for his feelings of failure justified? Explain you answer using examples from the book based on Cummings character and his actions.
Essay Topic 3
During a flashback in Part 2, Chapter 9, the reader learns that Gallagher's father was a bully and often beat his wife.
1) How does Gallagher feel about this side of this father's character?
2) Do you think Gallagher was like his father?
3) Explain and cite examples found throughout the book to support your answer.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)