|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the troops take from the dead Japanese major?
2. During Part 1, Chapter 1, what does Wilson daydream of doing on the island?
3. Why is Cummings upset about when reviewing the air operations reports?
4. In Martinez's flashback in Part 2, Chapter 2, what did he dream of becoming?
5. Who does Cummings blame for him not knowing the severity of the storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Gallagher upset with Wilson's reply to his wife's letter?
2. Why does Hearn think that a relationship with Croft will be difficult?
3. What does Cummings think about the campaign in general?
4. Why is Dalleson tasked to prepare the logistics for the attack on Toyaku Line?
5. How does Hearn's insecurity show in Part 3, Chapter 2?
6. What is the general mood on board of the ship as the men leave the island?
7. What do the American troops learn about the Japanese troops after the campaign was over?
8. In Part 2, Chapter 5, for the first time Croft realizes that he is afraid. What are the circumstances for this realization?
9. What is Goldstein's reasoning for the tents not staying up and how does he solve this problem?
10. As the troops enter the jungle, what is their strategy for getting through the dense terrain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Roth and Goldstein have a substantial conversation on the beach, and Roth feels they are becoming friends. Would these two characters be friends if they had met outside of the Army? Explain your reasoning with evidence using the characters background, education, personality, and thoughts reveled throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
Mailer uses the literary technique often throughout this book. Describe what a flashback is and why it is used in literature.
1) How does Mailer use the writing technique?
2) What is the significance of the flashbacks in this novel?
3) Do you think the flashbacks enhanced the story, why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Some authors will write based on experience and may at time identify with one of the characters in their stories. Research the life of Norma Mailer to answer the following question: do you think Mailer is like any of the characters in his story? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,737 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)