|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cummings motive behind assigning Hearn tasks such as bringing him fresh flowers and taking liquor to the officer's mess tent?
2. Why does Martinez refuse to be in charge of other men?
3. How do the soldiers feel about the conditions of the island?
4. As the book opens, which solider is not taking the card game seriously and offers to give back some of his winnings?
5. What does Cummings state he will do to anyone who retreats from the Japanese?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cummings write about in his secret journal?
2. Why does Brown sometimes wish he was only a private?
3. What seems to be Ridges main concern or frustration when the stretcher with Wilson on it is washed away?
4. Why does Hearn dislike Conn, Hobart, and Dalleson?
5. Describe Dalleson's advancement in the army and how he feels about his current position.
6. Describe the men's tents.
7. How does Hearn's insecurity show in Part 3, Chapter 2?
8. Why does Red reject Hearn's offer to be promoted to corporal?
9. As the men continue to trek up the mountain, what is their general physical condition?
10. Why is Gallagher upset with Wilson's reply to his wife's letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The treatment of the officers compared to the soldiers is discussed a number of times throughout the book.
1) How are the officers treated as compared to the soldiers?
2) From an officer's viewpoint, why are the soldiers and officers treated differently? Cite examples from specific characters.
3) From a soldier's viewpoint, why are the soldiers and officers treated differently? Cite examples from specific characters.
4) Which view point do you agree with and why? If you do not agree with either, explain.
Essay Topic 2
Roth and Goldstein have a substantial conversation on the beach, and Roth feels they are becoming friends. Would these two characters be friends if they had met outside of the Army? Explain your reasoning with evidence using the characters background, education, personality, and thoughts reveled throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the history of this novel. Research the period of WWII and write an essay that answers the following:
1) What is the significance of this time period?
2) In your opinion, do you think the story would have had the same meaning if written in a different time period?
3) What effect did this novel have on the general public at this time it was published?
This section contains 1,777 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)