|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 3, what is Conn complaining about in the officer's mess hall?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 1, the men are now on the island, who is the commanding officer on the island?
3. How big is the island?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what does Hearn feel guilty over?
5. By Part 2, Chapter 2, why has Croft become frustrated on the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why had Red gone to the medical tent and what was the result of the visit?
2. During Part 2, Chapter 7, what does Martinez do in the souvenir hut?
3. What does Mailer accomplish in the first chapter in terms of mood and characters?
4. Why does Hearn think he is becoming a prude?
5. As the troops enter the jungle, what is their strategy for getting through the dense terrain?
6. Why does Brown sometimes wish he was only a private?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 7, the American troops engage some Japanese soldiers. What are Red and Gallagher's reactions to how Croft handles the situation?
8. What is the general mood on board of the ship as the men leave the island?
9. In the end what was the total death count?
10. How is Wilson described in chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By the end of the book, the American troops learned that they had the advantage. Additionally, Cummings felt useless intelligence and incompetent men were the reason he did not feel successful. Were the reasons giving by Cummings for his feelings of failure justified? Explain you answer using examples from the book based on Cummings character and his actions.
Essay Topic 2
Mailer uses the literary technique often throughout this book. Describe what a flashback is and why it is used in literature.
1) How does Mailer use the writing technique?
2) What is the significance of the flashbacks in this novel?
3) Do you think the flashbacks enhanced the story, why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Roth and Goldstein have a substantial conversation on the beach, and Roth feels they are becoming friends. Would these two characters be friends if they had met outside of the Army? Explain your reasoning with evidence using the characters background, education, personality, and thoughts reveled throughout the book.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)