|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many letters does the dead soldier Hennessey receive?
2. How many times did Wilson say he has had venereal disease?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what does Hearn feel guilty over?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 5, as Roth thinks about his wife, what can the reader guess about her feelings toward him?
5. What is the General's worst fear about the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brown sometimes wish he was only a private?
2. How does the narrator describe the quietness of the jungle?
3. How does Minetta's plan to be moved to the mental ward backfire?
4. What is the bird in Part 3, Chapter 5 symbolic of? And how do Croft's actions confirm the symbolism?
5. What is the general mood on board of the ship as the men leave the island?
6. What is it about Roth that Minetta and Wyman like?
7. Why does Cummings begin to lose control of the men and what were his feeling about this?
8. Describe the men's tents.
9. How does the narrator describe the pace of Ridges and Goldstein as they carry Wilson through the jungle?
10. Do you think that Hearn suspects any deception from Croft? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the main themes in this book. Write an essay discussing the theme and provide example supporting why you think is if a main theme for the story.
Essay Topic 2
This story takes place during WWII, while some of the man are new to the army and possible have been drafted, others have been in the army for some time and plan to remain in the army. It is likely that some men have experienced or will experience life in the army in America as this issue is discussed among the soldiers.
1) How was being in the Army different on the island compared to being in the Army in America?
2) Why do you think differences existed?
3) Explain how the men's actions and relationship might have been if they were stationed in America during the war.
Essay Topic 3
Mailer uses the literary technique often throughout this book. Describe what a flashback is and why it is used in literature.
1) How does Mailer use the writing technique?
2) What is the significance of the flashbacks in this novel?
3) Do you think the flashbacks enhanced the story, why or why not?
This section contains 1,832 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)