|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Stanley begin to lose respect for after his promotion?
2. What has Stanley's promotion to corporal done for him?
3. At what time do the troops reach Anopopei?
4. During Red's flashback the reader learns that Red began work at an early age. What type of work did Red do from age 13 to 18?
5. How do the soldiers feel about the conditions of the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why had Red gone to the medical tent and what was the result of the visit?
2. What is Goldstein's reasoning for the tents not staying up and how does he solve this problem?
3. Why does Red reject Hearn's offer to be promoted to corporal?
4. What is Hearn's punishment, so to speak, for questioning Cummings's division of the food?
5. Do you think that Hearn suspects any deception from Croft? Why or why not?
6. What are Croft's feelings aboutHearn joining the platoon?
7. What does Mailer accomplish in the first chapter in terms of mood and characters?
8. How does the narrator describe the pace of Ridges and Goldstein as they carry Wilson through the jungle?
9. How are Croft's instructions to Martinez regarding his mission to inspect the mountain pass deceiving toward Hearn?
10. How is Cummings use of the destroyer unnecessary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Roth and Goldstein have a substantial conversation on the beach, and Roth feels they are becoming friends. Would these two characters be friends if they had met outside of the Army? Explain your reasoning with evidence using the characters background, education, personality, and thoughts reveled throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the history of this novel. Research the period of WWII and write an essay that answers the following:
1) What is the significance of this time period?
2) In your opinion, do you think the story would have had the same meaning if written in a different time period?
3) What effect did this novel have on the general public at this time it was published?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, the reader is shown glimpses of the men's lives back home. How does the author use the literary tool of flashback throughout the novel? Is the presence of flashback used effectively, and what does it provide for the reader?"
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)