|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 5, what is Roth dreaming of when Minetta woke him up?
2. Who is the only man to feel sorry about Hennessey's death?
3. As the book opens, which solider is not taking the card game seriously and offers to give back some of his winnings?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 7, who finds the illicit whiskey?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 2, what does Croft think about himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Cummings use of the destroyer unnecessary?
2. As the men continue to trek up the mountain, what is their general physical condition?
3. After carrying Wilson and enduring the heat and exhaustion, why didn't the men leave Wilson behind?
4. Polack and Minetta discuss wearing dirty clothes. What are each man's thoughts on this?
5. How does the general mood eventually change, and how is this different that what was experienced on the island?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 5, for the first time Croft realizes that he is afraid. What are the circumstances for this realization?
7. What are Hearn's feeling as he thinks about the platoon, Cummings, and Croft?
8. What is it about Roth that Minetta and Wyman like?
9. What are Croft's feelings aboutHearn joining the platoon?
10. How does the narrator describe the quietness of the jungle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give an full analytical critique of this book. Be sure to include information about the use of literary tools such as setting, mood, themes, etc. Do not just write that you liked or disliked the book. You must provide examples to support your analysis.
Essay Topic 2
Racism is seen throughout this book. Discuss this issue in terms of the time period of the book. Would this behavior be accepted today, even in the throws of war?
Essay Topic 3
During a flashback in Part 2, Chapter 9, the reader learns that Gallagher's father was a bully and often beat his wife.
1) How does Gallagher feel about this side of this father's character?
2) Do you think Gallagher was like his father?
3) Explain and cite examples found throughout the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,781 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)