Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times did Wilson say he has had venereal disease?
2. Why is Cummings upset about when reviewing the air operations reports?
3. What does Hearn request of Cummings in Part 2, Chapter 11?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 8, how does Wakara feel around the other men?
5. During Gallagher's flashback, what organization does the reader learn he joined as a teenager?
Short Essay Questions
1. During Part 2, Chapter 7, what does Martinez do in the souvenir hut?
2. Why does Hearn dislike Conn, Hobart, and Dalleson?
3. Why does Cummings begin to lose control of the men and what were his feeling about this?
4. How does the narrator describe the pace of Ridges and Goldstein as they carry Wilson through the jungle?
5. Describe Dalleson's advancement in the army and how he feels about his current position.
6. What is Goldstein's reasoning for the tents not staying up and how does he solve this problem?
7. After carrying Wilson and enduring the heat and exhaustion, why didn't the men leave Wilson behind?
8. Why does Red reject Hearn's offer to be promoted to corporal?
9. Why does Hearn think he is becoming a prude?
10. In the opening scene, some of the men are playing cards. How does this card game reveal pieces of the men's personalities?
Essay Topic 1
During a flashback in Part 2, Chapter 9, the reader learns that Gallagher's father was a bully and often beat his wife.
1) How does Gallagher feel about this side of this father's character?
2) Do you think Gallagher was like his father?
3) Explain and cite examples found throughout the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Mailer uses the literary technique often throughout this book. Describe what a flashback is and why it is used in literature.
1) How does Mailer use the writing technique?
2) What is the significance of the flashbacks in this novel?
3) Do you think the flashbacks enhanced the story, why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Roth and Goldstein have a substantial conversation on the beach, and Roth feels they are becoming friends. Would these two characters be friends if they had met outside of the Army? Explain your reasoning with evidence using the characters background, education, personality, and thoughts reveled throughout the book.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)