|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is noticeably more nervous then the others?
2. One evening Brown and Stanley are in their bunks talking. What topic are they discussing?
3. Why does the new soldier to Croft's platoon feel he does not fit in?
4. What is Cummings reasoning for treating the soldiers unfairly?
5. After Minetta is injured and taken to the hospital, what does he do to delay going back to combat?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the troops enter the jungle, what is their strategy for getting through the dense terrain?
2. What do the mail clerks think about the return address on Hennessey's mail?
3. What is the general mood on board of the ship as the men leave the island?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 5, for the first time Croft realizes that he is afraid. What are the circumstances for this realization?
5. Why does Hearn dislike Conn, Hobart, and Dalleson?
6. What are Croft's feelings aboutHearn joining the platoon?
7. What does the descriptive text imply about the tone of the opening scene of chapter 1?
8. How did Wakara feel about Japan as a child compared to how he feels about it as an adult?
9. After carrying Wilson and enduring the heat and exhaustion, why didn't the men leave Wilson behind?
10. As the men continue to build the road, what thoughts begin to cross their minds and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mailer uses a common literary tool of a flashback in a very unusual way. This purpose of this method is to provide the reader with additional information about the characters.
1) What is the time machine?
2) How does Mailer use this story telling method for character development?
3) Do any of the character learn anything from remembering their past and comparing it to the present?
Essay Topic 2
Give an full analytical critique of this book. Be sure to include information about the use of literary tools such as setting, mood, themes, etc. Do not just write that you liked or disliked the book. You must provide examples to support your analysis.
Essay Topic 3
The men were inundated with fighting, illness, death, and injury while on the island. These events seem to cause each man to think about his own life and his own chances of leaving the island alive.
1) What are some of the superstitions held by the men on the island?
2) Do these superstitions serve as a type of foreshadowing?
3) Explain your answer by providing examples.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)