|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 3, what is Conn complaining about in the officer's mess hall?
2. The men were taking a break and relaxing on the beach, as the men are talking, Croft becomes angry and fires a shot into the woods, what happens next that creates fear and panic?
3. Who does Cummings blame for him not knowing the severity of the storm?
4. Croft has a flashback and the reader learns that he joined a different branch of the military before joining the Army. What was the first branch Croft joined?
5. Why does Martinez refuse to be in charge of other men?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Minetta's plan to be moved to the mental ward backfire?
2. Why are the officers upset about the food they receive in the Army?
3. Why is Gallagher upset with Wilson's reply to his wife's letter?
4. What does the descriptive text imply about the tone of the opening scene of chapter 1?
5. Why were the soldiers in so much shock when Hearn is shot?
6. In Part 1, Chapter 2, why is Martinez compared to a deer?
7. In the opening scene, some of the men are playing cards. How does this card game reveal pieces of the men's personalities?
8. Do you think that Hearn suspects any deception from Croft? Why or why not?
9. Describe the men's tents.
10. How does the general mood eventually change, and how is this different that what was experienced on the island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The treatment of the officers compared to the soldiers is discussed a number of times throughout the book.
1) How are the officers treated as compared to the soldiers?
2) From an officer's viewpoint, why are the soldiers and officers treated differently? Cite examples from specific characters.
3) From a soldier's viewpoint, why are the soldiers and officers treated differently? Cite examples from specific characters.
4) Which view point do you agree with and why? If you do not agree with either, explain.
Essay Topic 2
Mailer uses a common literary tool of a flashback in a very unusual way. This purpose of this method is to provide the reader with additional information about the characters.
1) What is the time machine?
2) How does Mailer use this story telling method for character development?
3) Do any of the character learn anything from remembering their past and comparing it to the present?
Essay Topic 3
Mailer uses the literary technique often throughout this book. Describe what a flashback is and why it is used in literature.
1) How does Mailer use the writing technique?
2) What is the significance of the flashbacks in this novel?
3) Do you think the flashbacks enhanced the story, why or why not?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)