|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wilson tells the men he has another woman in Kansas. What is his reason for liking her more than his own wife?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 9, how is the life of these soldiers described?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 9, who delivers the bad news to Gallagher?
4. Why is Cummings upset about when reviewing the air operations reports?
5. During Red's flashback the reader learns that Red began work at an early age. What type of work did Red do from age 13 to 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the quietness of the jungle?
2. How are Croft and Hearn's feelings about Wilson's injury in contrast to the rules?
3. In the end what was the total death count?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 5, for the first time Croft realizes that he is afraid. What are the circumstances for this realization?
5. Why is Gallagher upset with Wilson's reply to his wife's letter?
6. Why is Dalleson tasked to prepare the logistics for the attack on Toyaku Line?
7. What do the soldiers carry on their backs through the jungle and how much does it weigh?
8. Through confusion and exhaustion, why does Martinez feel guilty in Part 3, Chapter 10?
9. What do the American troops learn about the Japanese troops after the campaign was over?
10. How does Hearn's insecurity show in Part 3, Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mailer uses a common literary tool of a flashback in a very unusual way. This purpose of this method is to provide the reader with additional information about the characters.
1) What is the time machine?
2) How does Mailer use this story telling method for character development?
3) Do any of the character learn anything from remembering their past and comparing it to the present?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the main themes in this book. Write an essay discussing the theme and provide example supporting why you think is if a main theme for the story.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the history of this novel. Research the period of WWII and write an essay that answers the following:
1) What is the significance of this time period?
2) In your opinion, do you think the story would have had the same meaning if written in a different time period?
3) What effect did this novel have on the general public at this time it was published?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)