|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the troops take from the dead Japanese major?
2. Croft has a flashback and the reader learns that he joined a different branch of the military before joining the Army. What was the first branch Croft joined?
3. Why is Cummings upset about when reviewing the air operations reports?
4. Which character is said to be a loner?
5. What has Stanley's promotion to corporal done for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it about Roth that Minetta and Wyman like?
2. What are Croft's feelings aboutHearn joining the platoon?
3. Why does Hearn think that a relationship with Croft will be difficult?
4. How does the delay in the mail system make it difficult for Gallagher to accept his wife's death?
5. Why were the soldiers in so much shock when Hearn is shot?
6. Polack and Minetta discuss wearing dirty clothes. What are each man's thoughts on this?
7. What does the descriptive text imply about the tone of the opening scene of chapter 1?
8. Why is Gallagher upset with Wilson's reply to his wife's letter?
9. In Part 2, Chapter 7, the American troops engage some Japanese soldiers. What are Red and Gallagher's reactions to how Croft handles the situation?
10. How are Croft's instructions to Martinez regarding his mission to inspect the mountain pass deceiving toward Hearn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The treatment of the officers compared to the soldiers is discussed a number of times throughout the book.
1) How are the officers treated as compared to the soldiers?
2) From an officer's viewpoint, why are the soldiers and officers treated differently? Cite examples from specific characters.
3) From a soldier's viewpoint, why are the soldiers and officers treated differently? Cite examples from specific characters.
4) Which view point do you agree with and why? If you do not agree with either, explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the history of this novel. Research the period of WWII and write an essay that answers the following:
1) What is the significance of this time period?
2) In your opinion, do you think the story would have had the same meaning if written in a different time period?
3) What effect did this novel have on the general public at this time it was published?
Essay Topic 3
Mailer uses a common literary tool of a flashback in a very unusual way. This purpose of this method is to provide the reader with additional information about the characters.
1) What is the time machine?
2) How does Mailer use this story telling method for character development?
3) Do any of the character learn anything from remembering their past and comparing it to the present?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)