|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Minetta think the injured are treated?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 7, who finds the illicit whiskey?
3. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 7, who throws the grenade at the Japanese soldiers?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 9, how is the life of these soldiers described?
5. How do the soldiers feel about the conditions of the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hearn think he is becoming a prude?
2. How did Wakara feel about Japan as a child compared to how he feels about it as an adult?
3. How does the narrator describe the quietness of the jungle?
4. In the opening scene, some of the men are playing cards. How does this card game reveal pieces of the men's personalities?
5. How does the narrator describe the pace of Ridges and Goldstein as they carry Wilson through the jungle?
6. What is the bird in Part 3, Chapter 5 symbolic of? And how do Croft's actions confirm the symbolism?
7. How does Minetta's plan to be moved to the mental ward backfire?
8. Describe Dalleson's advancement in the army and how he feels about his current position.
9. What does Cummings write about in his secret journal?
10. Why are the officers upset about the food they receive in the Army?
Essay Topic 1
Mailer uses the literary technique often throughout this book. Describe what a flashback is and why it is used in literature.
1) How does Mailer use the writing technique?
2) What is the significance of the flashbacks in this novel?
3) Do you think the flashbacks enhanced the story, why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, the reader is shown glimpses of the men's lives back home. How does the author use the literary tool of flashback throughout the novel? Is the presence of flashback used effectively, and what does it provide for the reader?"
Essay Topic 3
During a flashback in Part 2, Chapter 9, the reader learns that Gallagher's father was a bully and often beat his wife.
1) How does Gallagher feel about this side of this father's character?
2) Do you think Gallagher was like his father?
3) Explain and cite examples found throughout the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,846 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)