|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During a flashback of Cummings, the reader learns that he enjoyed sewing and sketching as a child, however his father did not approve. What was his father's action upon learning Cummings was partaking in womanly activities?
(a) He was forbidden to continue the activites.
(b) His father took him to work at his factory.
(c) He was sent to military school.
(d) His father did nothing.
2. What does Croft eventually realize about the hike up the mountain?
(a) It is too great of a task.
(b) They should reach the top by sundown.
(c) It will be the turning point of the battle.
(d) They do not have enough food.
3. One night on the mountain, Martinez expresses his wish for a chaplain. At this, Polack tells the men his opinion of religion. How does Polack feel about religion?
(a) It is a money-making busines
(b) It is a way of life.
(c) There is no truth to it.
(d) It gives people hope.
4. What is Croft's intention in telling Hearn there are no Japanese guarding the pass and in sending him and a group of men to patrol?
(a) Croft would be seen as a hero.
(b) Hearn would give up command.
(c) Hearn would be killed.
(d) Hearn would begin to trust Croft.
5. Croft's anger with the men increases as they begin to slow down and hold up the mission. Which soldier, in particular, frequently falls and holds up the others?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 13, did Martinez defy Croft, why or why not?
2. As he is being carried through the jungle to the beach, Wilson dies. What do the men carrying Wilson do after he dies?
3. Brown is considering his current mission of carrying Wilson back to the beach and becomes angry with Croft for sending him. How is Brown's anger toward Croft for sending him with Wilson a contradiction?
4. As the troop continues up the mountain, the weight of the backpacks weighs them down, making it more difficult to hike. What does Wyman do to try to lighten his pack?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 8, how many men began the journey up the mountain?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)