|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hearn suggest when the men reach the open field?
(a) They continue marching.
(b) That Croft leads the men.
(c) They rest for the night.
(d) They split up into two groups.
2. During Part 3, Chapter 2, what is one thing Hearn realizes he must rely on Croft for?
(a) His friendships with the soldiers.
(b) His strength.
(c) His expereince.
(d) His ability to lead.
3. What does Croft eventually realize about the hike up the mountain?
(a) It will be the turning point of the battle.
(b) They do not have enough food.
(c) It is too great of a task.
(d) They should reach the top by sundown.
4. One night on the mountain, Martinez expresses his wish for a chaplain. At this, Polack tells the men his opinion of religion. How does Polack feel about religion?
(a) It gives people hope.
(b) There is no truth to it.
(c) It is a way of life.
(d) It is a money-making busines
5. Cummings was the commander of the entire island, however, his part in the actual campaign is questionable. What is Cummings responsibility to the success of the attack compared to?
(a) A baby bird learning to fly.
(b) The intelligence of a great man.
(c) A man pressing a button for an elevator.
(d) An attack dog catching it prey.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the soldiers keep the toilet paper dry?
2. What background does Ridges have that leads him to enjoy physical work?
3. Brown is considering his current mission of carrying Wilson back to the beach and becomes angry with Croft for sending him. How is Brown's anger toward Croft for sending him with Wilson a contradiction?
4. In Part 3, Chapter 13, who tries to bribe Martinez to defy Croft?
5. During a conversation with Gallagher about killing a Japanese soldier, Martinez begins to feel guilty and also begins thinking about death. As he thinks about these things, he wishes there was a chaplain with the men. Why does Martinez wish there was a chaplain with them?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)