|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After firing a cannon to relieve some tension, Cummings returns to his tent feeling very good. He finds his journal which he keeps locked and begins to write, by the time he has finished his entry, how does Cummings feel about his words?
(a) They have no substance.
(b) They are wise.
(c) They are truthful.
(d) They are meaningless.
2. In Part 3, Chapter 14, why is the captain of the boat upset?
(a) The weather is poor.
(b) Not all the men survived.
(c) The campaign is over.
(d) The men are spitting on the deck.
3. The men have almost reached the summit and Croft is the only one who wants to continue to the top. What causes the men to turn back down in the mountain?
(a) They defy Croft.
(b) They receive word that the campaign is over.
(c) They are attacked by hornets.
(d) Croft is killed.
4. There is an ongoing fear within each of the men in this story. However, during Part 3, Chapter 1, the men briefly forget this fear and the current state of their lives. What event causes this to occur?
(a) Letters from home.
(b) The sunset.
(c) A break in fighting.
(d) A celebration among the platoon.
5. Which soldier states he will re-enlist?
Short Answer Questions
1. As the campaign continues, Cummings pessimism grows. But as he reviews the progress of troops, he sees that have have advanced. How does Cummings feel about these advances the troops have made?
2. Cummings often thinks about how the campaign might go wrong which causes him frustration. In addition to writing in his journal, how else does Cummings release his tensions?
3. What does Hearn suggest when the men reach the open field?
4. How does Martinez feel about not taking the dead Japanese soldier's watch?
5. What does Croft eventually realize about the hike up the mountain?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)