|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 7, who throws the grenade at the Japanese soldiers?
2. Who does Stanley begin to lose respect for after his promotion?
3. Leach offers a number of excuses why he can not take a picture of Dalleson. Which of the following is not one of his excuses?
(a) He has little film.
(b) The lens angle is not right.
(c) The lighting is off.
(d) The shutter speed is not fast enough.
4. Goldstein thinks about opening a business with his wife. What type of business does he want to open?
5. Wilson had a flashback to his life before the war. During this flashback the reader learns the Wilson admires his father for what reason?
(a) The amount of liquor he can drink.
(b) He is a sucessful businessman.
(c) He loves his wife.
(d) He is an honorable man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cummings state he will do to anyone who retreats from the Japanese?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 9, who delivers the bad news to Gallagher?
3. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 5, what is Roth dreaming of when Minetta woke him up?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 9, what bad news does Gallagher receive?
5. What is the General's worst fear about the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the mail clerks think about the return address on Hennessey's mail?
2. What does the descriptive text imply about the tone of the opening scene of chapter 1?
3. What does Mailer accomplish in the first chapter in terms of mood and characters?
4. Do you think that Hearn suspects any deception from Croft? Why or why not?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 7, the American troops engage some Japanese soldiers. What are Red and Gallagher's reactions to how Croft handles the situation?
6. How does the delay in the mail system make it difficult for Gallagher to accept his wife's death?
7. In the opening scene, some of the men are playing cards. How does this card game reveal pieces of the men's personalities?
8. Why does Cummings begin to lose control of the men and what were his feeling about this?
9. Why is Dalleson tasked to prepare the logistics for the attack on Toyaku Line?
10. As the men continue to trek up the mountain, what is their general physical condition?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)