|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 7, who finds the illicit whiskey?
2. How many times did Wilson say he has had venereal disease?
3. As Gallagher thinks about the past, why is he upset about the post office job?
(a) A Jewish alderman's nephew got the job.
(b) He did not pass the employment test.
(c) He was called to war before he could start work.
(d) He was fired from the job.
4. What is Wilson's reason for not telling the woman in Kansas about his wife?
(a) He does not really want to be with her.
(b) He does not want to get divorced.
(c) She may know his wife.
(d) He does not want to commit.
5. What is Cummings motive behind assigning Hearn tasks such as bringing him fresh flowers and taking liquor to the officer's mess tent?
(a) Possible promotion.
(d) He does not want Hearn fighting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What events led to Croft joining the Army?
2. Hearn has a number of undesirable characteristics. What is one of them mentioned in Part 2, Chapter 3?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 3, which character is upset that the officers have a higher standard of living than the soldiers?
4. What profession does the reader learn Hearn wanted to enter into after graduation?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 2, who does Mantelli send to Croft's platoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dalleson's advancement in the army and how he feels about his current position.
2. Describe the men's tents.
3. Why does Red reject Hearn's offer to be promoted to corporal?
4. What are Croft's feelings aboutHearn joining the platoon?
5. When the men run into a snake, Wilson seems to be talking about swimming and a boat. But Brown recognizes Wilson is remembering what?
6. Why does Brown sometimes wish he was only a private?
7. Why are the officers upset about the food they receive in the Army?
8. As the men continue to trek up the mountain, what is their general physical condition?
9. What is Hearn's punishment, so to speak, for questioning Cummings's division of the food?
10. What is Cummings solution to bring the men back in line and give one example of this?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)