|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Brown's feelings about women affect Stanley?
(a) He feels more in love with his wife.
(b) He feels undeserving of his wife.
(c) He feels they are only good for sex.
(d) He feels his wife may cheat on him.
2. Wilson had a flashback to his life before the war. During this flashback the reader learns the Wilson admires his father for what reason?
(a) The amount of liquor he can drink.
(b) He is a sucessful businessman.
(c) He is an honorable man.
(d) He loves his wife.
3. During the first days of the troops being on the island, how have the Japanese resistance reacted?
(a) Half-hearted attacks.
(b) Full-force attacks.
(d) There has been no sign of the Japanese.
4. Why does the new soldier to Croft's platoon feel he does not fit in?
(a) He is college educated.
(b) The others know he is a better soldier.
(c) He is new.
(d) He is Jewish.
5. What does Cummings feel is the nature of a woman?
(a) To love.
(b) To provide a home.
(c) To cheat.
(d) To bear children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ulterior motive does Cummings have for his relationship with Hearn?
2. What have the soliders been doing in the five weeks they have been on the island?
3. What game does Cummings and Hearn play, after Cummings states it is his only passion?
4. During Part 1, Chapter 1, what does Wilson daydream of doing on the island?
5. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 3, what is Conn complaining about in the officer's mess hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cummings begin to lose control of the men and what were his feeling about this?
2. During Part 2, Chapter 7, what does Martinez do in the souvenir hut?
3. What are Croft's feelings aboutHearn joining the platoon?
4. What does Mailer accomplish in the first chapter in terms of mood and characters?
5. How are Croft's instructions to Martinez regarding his mission to inspect the mountain pass deceiving toward Hearn?
6. What is learned about Cummings sexuality in Part 2, Chapter 6 and what leads to this conclusion?
7. Why does Hearn think that a relationship with Croft will be difficult?
8. What seems to be Ridges main concern or frustration when the stretcher with Wilson on it is washed away?
9. How does the narrator describe the quietness of the jungle?
10. What do the American troops learn about the Japanese troops after the campaign was over?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)