|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Wilson control his wife?
(a) By hitting her.
(b) By taking her money away.
(c) By working things out with her.
(d) By threatening her.
2. In Part 2, Chapter 9, how is the life of these soldiers described?
(b) Hanging in the balance.
3. During Part 1, Chapter 1, what does Wilson daydream of doing on the island?
(b) Manufacturing liquor.
(d) Selling fruit.
4. As Part 1, Chapter 2 opens, the men are getting ready to advance on the island. What solider does Croft feel will be killed upon landing on Anopopei?
5. In what body of water is the island of Anopopei located?
(a) East China Sea.
(b) Philippine Sea.
(c) Pacific Ocean.
(d) Sea of Japan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game does Cummings and Hearn play, after Cummings states it is his only passion?
2. During a discussion between Brown and Stanley, what does Brown say he will do to his wife if she is cheating on him?
3. How does Brown's feelings about women affect Stanley?
4. By Part 2, Chapter 2, why has Croft become frustrated on the island?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 3, which character is upset that the officers have a higher standard of living than the soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the descriptive text imply about the tone of the opening scene of chapter 1?
2. During Part 2, Chapter 7, what does Martinez do in the souvenir hut?
3. How are Croft's instructions to Martinez regarding his mission to inspect the mountain pass deceiving toward Hearn?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 7, the American troops engage some Japanese soldiers. What are Red and Gallagher's reactions to how Croft handles the situation?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 2, why is Martinez compared to a deer?
6. What is the bird in Part 3, Chapter 5 symbolic of? And how do Croft's actions confirm the symbolism?
7. Do you think that Hearn suspects any deception from Croft? Why or why not?
8. When the men run into a snake, Wilson seems to be talking about swimming and a boat. But Brown recognizes Wilson is remembering what?
9. Why had Red gone to the medical tent and what was the result of the visit?
10. After carrying Wilson and enduring the heat and exhaustion, why didn't the men leave Wilson behind?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)