|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Cummings reasoning for treating the soldiers unfairly?
(a) They deserve it.
(b) He treats everyone unfairly.
(c) It is Army law.
(d) They will fight better.
2. In Part 2, Chapter 10, who does Gallagher realize is the only person who understands him?
(c) His mother.
(d) His wife.
3. In Part 2, Chapter 8, how does Wakara feel around the other men?
4. How does Minetta think the injured are treated?
(b) With compassion.
(c) Like dogs.
(d) With speical treatment.
5. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 7, who throws the grenade at the Japanese soldiers?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 5, what is Roth dreaming of when Minetta woke him up?
2. After Minetta is injured and taken to the hospital, what does he do to delay going back to combat?
3. What happens physically to Cummings as things begin to go wrong?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 7, who finds the illicit whiskey?
5. During a discussion between Brown and Stanley, what does Brown say he will do to his wife if she is cheating on him?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the men continue to build the road, what thoughts begin to cross their minds and why?
2. Describe Croft's recurring nightmare.
3. In Part 2, Chapter 5, for the first time Croft realizes that he is afraid. What are the circumstances for this realization?
4. As the men are on the transport boats, they begin to hear gunfire. In your own words, how does the narrator describe this event?
5. What is the bird in Part 3, Chapter 5 symbolic of? And how do Croft's actions confirm the symbolism?
6. Describe the men's tents.
7. How are Croft and Hearn's feelings about Wilson's injury in contrast to the rules?
8. What do the mail clerks think about the return address on Hennessey's mail?
9. In Part 2, Chapter 7, the American troops engage some Japanese soldiers. What are Red and Gallagher's reactions to how Croft handles the situation?
10. Why do the men continue to march up the mountain despite their attempts and threats to quit?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)