|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the book opens, which solider is not taking the card game seriously and offers to give back some of his winnings?
2. Which character is noticeably more nervous then the others?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 9, how is the life of these soldiers described?
(c) Hanging in the balance.
4. In Part 2, Chapter 6, who is in charge of setting up the recreation tent?
5. Goldstein thinks about opening a business with his wife. What type of business does he want to open?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the tone of Part 1, Chapter 1?
2. During a discussion between Brown and Stanley, what does Brown say he will do to his wife if she is cheating on him?
3. While some of the men are on the beach preparing their sleeping areas and fox holes, what does Stanley do to irritate Ridges?
4. What ulterior motive does Cummings have for his relationship with Hearn?
5. What events led to Croft joining the Army?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Hearn's feeling as he thinks about the platoon, Cummings, and Croft?
2. After carrying Wilson and enduring the heat and exhaustion, why didn't the men leave Wilson behind?
3. Why were the soldiers in so much shock when Hearn is shot?
4. Why does Cummings begin to lose control of the men and what were his feeling about this?
5. Describe Dalleson's advancement in the army and how he feels about his current position.
6. What is Goldstein's reasoning for the tents not staying up and how does he solve this problem?
7. How does the delay in the mail system make it difficult for Gallagher to accept his wife's death?
8. As the men continue to build the road, what thoughts begin to cross their minds and why?
9. What do the soldiers carry on their backs through the jungle and how much does it weigh?
10. Describe the men's tents.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)