|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Cummings motive behind assigning Hearn tasks such as bringing him fresh flowers and taking liquor to the officer's mess tent?
(c) He does not want Hearn fighting.
(d) Possible promotion.
2. By Part 2, Chapter 2, why has Croft become frustrated on the island?
(a) He feels his platoon is only on labor duties.
(b) He feels his platoon needs more men.
(c) He feels his platoon is fighting too much.
(d) He feels his platoon does not have enough dry clothes.
3. In the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 1, some of the men are playing poker. Which card player wins 100 Australian pounds?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 12, why does Red decide to go to the hospital?
(a) He has been experiencing kidney pain.
(b) He has chronic headaches.
(c) To get out of fighting.
(d) He is shot in the leg.
5. In Part 2, Chapter 6, who is in charge of setting up the recreation tent?
Short Answer Questions
1. During Red's flashback the reader learns that Red began work at an early age. What type of work did Red do from age 13 to 18?
2. What is the tone of Part 1, Chapter 1?
3. Which character is said to be a loner?
4. One evening Brown and Stanley are in their bunks talking. What topic are they discussing?
5. At what time do the troops reach Anopopei?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Croft's instructions to Martinez regarding his mission to inspect the mountain pass deceiving toward Hearn?
2. Why are the officers upset about the food they receive in the Army?
3. Why does Cummings begin to lose control of the men and what were his feeling about this?
4. As the men continue to build the road, what thoughts begin to cross their minds and why?
5. Why does Red reject Hearn's offer to be promoted to corporal?
6. What do the soldiers carry on their backs through the jungle and how much does it weigh?
7. Why were the soldiers in so much shock when Hearn is shot?
8. Why does Brown sometimes wish he was only a private?
9. During Part 2, Chapter 7, what does Martinez do in the souvenir hut?
10. How is Cummings use of the destroyer unnecessary?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)