|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times did Wilson say he has had venereal disease?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what does Hearn feel guilty over?
(a) Being an officer.
(b) Being born in a poor family.
(c) Fighting with others.
(d) Having dry clothes.
3. In Part 2, Chapter 8, what are Conn's true feelings about Wakara?
(a) He is very useful.
(b) He is not much help.
(c) He is a good soldier.
(d) He is a traitor.
4. One evening Brown and Stanley are in their bunks talking. What topic are they discussing?
5. What profession does the reader learn Hearn wanted to enter into after graduation?
(a) The family business.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the first days of the troops being on the island, how have the Japanese resistance reacted?
2. Who is Major Dalleson's assistant?
3. Why is Cummings upset about when reviewing the air operations reports?
4. There is some question of who let the gun go as the men were pushing it through the Jungle. Who does Croft suspect is responsible?
5. Wilson had a flashback to his life before the war. During this flashback the reader learns the Wilson admires his father for what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Croft's recurring nightmare.
2. What is learned about Cummings sexuality in Part 2, Chapter 6 and what leads to this conclusion?
3. Why does Hearn think that a relationship with Croft will be difficult?
4. Why are the officers upset about the food they receive in the Army?
5. How does Minetta's plan to be moved to the mental ward backfire?
6. How does the delay in the mail system make it difficult for Gallagher to accept his wife's death?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 5, for the first time Croft realizes that he is afraid. What are the circumstances for this realization?
8. What does Mailer accomplish in the first chapter in terms of mood and characters?
9. What is the general mood on board of the ship as the men leave the island?
10. Polack and Minetta discuss wearing dirty clothes. What are each man's thoughts on this?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)