|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The men were taking a break and relaxing on the beach, as the men are talking, Croft becomes angry and fires a shot into the woods, what happens next that creates fear and panic?
(a) A storm.
(b) Fighting among the men.
(c) Japanese open fire.
(d) An air strike.
2. How do the soldiers feel about the conditions of the island?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 8, how does Wakara feel around the other men?
4. What is Cummings reasoning for treating the soldiers unfairly?
(a) They deserve it.
(b) They will fight better.
(c) It is Army law.
(d) He treats everyone unfairly.
5. One evening Brown and Stanley are in their bunks talking. What topic are they discussing?
Short Answer Questions
1. What game does Cummings and Hearn play, after Cummings states it is his only passion?
2. What subject did Roth study in college?
3. What does Cummings feel is the nature of a woman?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 2, who does Mantelli send to Croft's platoon?
5. What seems to be happening to Cumming's control in Part 2, Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the mail clerks think about the return address on Hennessey's mail?
2. Why does Hearn dislike Conn, Hobart, and Dalleson?
3. How did Wakara feel about Japan as a child compared to how he feels about it as an adult?
4. What are Croft's feelings aboutHearn joining the platoon?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 5, for the first time Croft realizes that he is afraid. What are the circumstances for this realization?
6. Through confusion and exhaustion, why does Martinez feel guilty in Part 3, Chapter 10?
7. As the men are on the transport boats, they begin to hear gunfire. In your own words, how does the narrator describe this event?
8. How are Croft and Hearn's feelings about Wilson's injury in contrast to the rules?
9. How does the general mood eventually change, and how is this different that what was experienced on the island?
10. How is Wilson described in chapter 1?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)