|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 9, what bad news does Gallagher receive?
(a) His wife has died.
(b) His brother has died.
(c) His parents have died.
(d) His child has died.
2. Wilson tells the men he has another woman in Kansas. What is his reason for liking her more than his own wife?
(a) She is wealthy.
(b) She is better in bed.
(c) She keeps the house clean.
(d) She is a better cook.
3. What is Cummings reasoning for treating the soldiers unfairly?
(a) He treats everyone unfairly.
(b) They deserve it.
(c) It is Army law.
(d) They will fight better.
4. How many times did Wilson say he has had venereal disease?
5. At what time do the troops reach Anopopei?
(a) 2200 hours
(b) 0300 hours.
(c) 1800 hours
(d) 0400 hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wilson had a flashback to his life before the war. During this flashback the reader learns the Wilson admires his father for what reason?
2. As Part 1, Chapter 2 opens, the men are getting ready to advance on the island. What solider does Croft feel will be killed upon landing on Anopopei?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 8, how does Wakara feel around the other men?
4. As the weather turns for the worse and the tents are being blown away, what is the general mood of the men?
5. How big is the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the men continue to march up the mountain despite their attempts and threats to quit?
2. What is learned about Cummings sexuality in Part 2, Chapter 6 and what leads to this conclusion?
3. After carrying Wilson and enduring the heat and exhaustion, why didn't the men leave Wilson behind?
4. How does the general mood eventually change, and how is this different that what was experienced on the island?
5. What are Croft's feelings aboutHearn joining the platoon?
6. What seems to be Ridges main concern or frustration when the stretcher with Wilson on it is washed away?
7. What do the American troops learn about the Japanese troops after the campaign was over?
8. Describe Croft's recurring nightmare.
9. Why does Brown sometimes wish he was only a private?
10. As the men are on the transport boats, they begin to hear gunfire. In your own words, how does the narrator describe this event?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)