|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the troops take from the dead Japanese major?
(a) A diary.
(c) His guns.
(d) Maps of the island.
2. Goldstein thinks about opening a business with his wife. What type of business does he want to open?
3. How does Wilson control his wife?
(a) By hitting her.
(b) By working things out with her.
(c) By threatening her.
(d) By taking her money away.
4. As the weather turns for the worse and the tents are being blown away, what is the general mood of the men?
5. What profession does the reader learn Hearn wanted to enter into after graduation?
(c) The family business.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stanley hope to gain by befriending Brown?
2. In what body of water is the island of Anopopei located?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 6, who is in charge of setting up the recreation tent?
4. Wilson tells the men he has another woman in Kansas. What is his reason for liking her more than his own wife?
5. What seems to be happening to Cumming's control in Part 2, Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 2, why is Martinez compared to a deer?
2. In the opening scene, some of the men are playing cards. How does this card game reveal pieces of the men's personalities?
3. What does Cummings write about in his secret journal?
4. How is Cummings use of the destroyer unnecessary?
5. Why does Hearn think he is becoming a prude?
6. How is Wilson described in chapter 1?
7. Polack and Minetta discuss wearing dirty clothes. What are each man's thoughts on this?
8. What is learned about Cummings sexuality in Part 2, Chapter 6 and what leads to this conclusion?
9. What does Cummings think about the campaign in general?
10. When the men run into a snake, Wilson seems to be talking about swimming and a boat. But Brown recognizes Wilson is remembering what?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)