|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Major Dalleson's assistant?
2. After Minetta is injured and taken to the hospital, what does he do to delay going back to combat?
(a) Sneaks out of the hospital.
(b) Claims he is ill.
(c) Fakes being mentally ill.
(d) Gets into a fight hoping he will be court martialed.
3. How does the commanding officer describe Anopopei?
(a) Like hell.
(b) Like paradise.
(c) Like an ocarina.
(d) Like a kidney bean.
4. During a discussion between Brown and Stanley, what does Brown say he will do to his wife if she is cheating on him?
(a) Forgive her.
(b) Beat her up.
(c) Divorce her.
(d) Kill her.
5. In Part 2, Chapter 8, what are Conn's true feelings about Wakara?
(a) He is a traitor.
(b) He is not much help.
(c) He is a good soldier.
(d) He is very useful.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Part 1, Chapter 1, what does Wilson daydream of doing on the island?
2. What is Wilson's reason for not telling the woman in Kansas about his wife?
3. As Part 1, Chapter 2 opens, the men are getting ready to advance on the island. What solider does Croft feel will be killed upon landing on Anopopei?
4. What is Cummings motive behind assigning Hearn tasks such as bringing him fresh flowers and taking liquor to the officer's mess tent?
5. How does Minetta think the injured are treated?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hearn think that a relationship with Croft will be difficult?
2. How does the narrator describe the quietness of the jungle?
3. What does Cummings write about in his secret journal?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 7, the American troops engage some Japanese soldiers. What are Red and Gallagher's reactions to how Croft handles the situation?
5. In the end what was the total death count?
6. What does the descriptive text imply about the tone of the opening scene of chapter 1?
7. What is it about Roth that Minetta and Wyman like?
8. Why is Dalleson tasked to prepare the logistics for the attack on Toyaku Line?
9. In the opening scene, some of the men are playing cards. How does this card game reveal pieces of the men's personalities?
10. After carrying Wilson and enduring the heat and exhaustion, why didn't the men leave Wilson behind?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)