|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When fresh food arrives, how does Cummings divided it between the 180 soldiers and 38 officers?
(a) Officers eat first then the soldiers have the leftovers.
(b) Three quarters for the soldiers and one quarter for the officers.
(c) First come, first serve.
(d) Half for the soldiers and half for the officers.
2. In Part 2, Chapter 8, how does Wakara feel around the other men?
3. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 7, who throws the grenade at the Japanese soldiers?
4. Wilson had a flashback to his life before the war. During this flashback the reader learns the Wilson admires his father for what reason?
(a) He is an honorable man.
(b) The amount of liquor he can drink.
(c) He is a sucessful businessman.
(d) He loves his wife.
5. How does Brown's feelings about women affect Stanley?
(a) He feels they are only good for sex.
(b) He feels undeserving of his wife.
(c) He feels his wife may cheat on him.
(d) He feels more in love with his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the soldiers feel about the conditions of the island?
2. During the first days of the troops being on the island, how have the Japanese resistance reacted?
3. What happens physically to Cummings as things begin to go wrong?
4. What does Croft do with the Japanese soldier who did not die from the grenade?
5. During Part 2, Chapter 8, what are most of the soldiers doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the men continue to march up the mountain despite their attempts and threats to quit?
2. Why does Brown sometimes wish he was only a private?
3. How does Minetta's plan to be moved to the mental ward backfire?
4. As the men continue to build the road, what thoughts begin to cross their minds and why?
5. Why were the soldiers in so much shock when Hearn is shot?
6. In the opening scene, some of the men are playing cards. How does this card game reveal pieces of the men's personalities?
7. What does Cummings think about the campaign in general?
8. Why does Cummings begin to lose control of the men and what were his feeling about this?
9. In Part 2, Chapter 7, the American troops engage some Japanese soldiers. What are Red and Gallagher's reactions to how Croft handles the situation?
10. What do the soldiers carry on their backs through the jungle and how much does it weigh?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)