|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What have the soliders been doing in the five weeks they have been on the island?
(a) Building a road.
(b) Waiting for the Japanese.
2. At what time do the troops reach Anopopei?
(a) 0300 hours.
(b) 2200 hours
(c) 0400 hours.
(d) 1800 hours
3. What is Wilson's reason for not telling the woman in Kansas about his wife?
(a) He does not want to get divorced.
(b) He does not want to commit.
(c) He does not really want to be with her.
(d) She may know his wife.
4. How does Brown's feelings about women affect Stanley?
(a) He feels more in love with his wife.
(b) He feels his wife may cheat on him.
(c) He feels undeserving of his wife.
(d) He feels they are only good for sex.
5. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 5, what is Roth dreaming of when Minetta woke him up?
(a) His wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the island this platoon invaded before reaching Anopopei?
2. Hearn has a flashback about his childhood. How is his mother described during this flashback?
3. How does Brown feel about being a sergeant?
4. What does Croft do with the Japanese soldier who did not die from the grenade?
5. Which character is noticeably more nervous then the others?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the men continue to march up the mountain despite their attempts and threats to quit?
2. Describe Croft's recurring nightmare.
3. How is Cummings use of the destroyer unnecessary?
4. What do the soldiers carry on their backs through the jungle and how much does it weigh?
5. What does Mailer accomplish in the first chapter in terms of mood and characters?
6. Why does Hearn think he is becoming a prude?
7. What seems to be Ridges main concern or frustration when the stretcher with Wilson on it is washed away?
8. What does Cummings write about in his secret journal?
9. How does Hearn's insecurity show in Part 3, Chapter 2?
10. Why is Gallagher upset with Wilson's reply to his wife's letter?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)