|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What seems to be happening to Cumming's control in Part 2, Chapter 11?
(a) He is becoming doubtful.
(b) It is increasing.
(c) He wants to transfer control to someone else.
(d) It is breaking down.
2. What is the General's worst fear about the island?
(a) Bad weather.
(b) The openness of the beach.
(c) Lack of food.
(d) The jungle.
3. During a discussion between Brown and Stanley, what does Brown say he will do to his wife if she is cheating on him?
(a) Forgive her.
(b) Kill her.
(c) Divorce her.
(d) Beat her up.
4. How does Wilson control his wife?
(a) By taking her money away.
(b) By threatening her.
(c) By hitting her.
(d) By working things out with her.
5. Why is Cummings upset about when reviewing the air operations reports?
(a) Not enough air support.
(b) Fights with other men.
(c) Not enough time to prepare.
(d) Too complicated of an operation.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what body of water is the island of Anopopei located?
2. Why does Martinez refuse to be in charge of other men?
3. Who is the only man to feel sorry about Hennessey's death?
4. What ulterior motive does Cummings have for his relationship with Hearn?
5. How do the soldiers feel about the conditions of the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cummings write about in his secret journal?
2. How does the narrator describe the quietness of the jungle?
3. What are Croft's feelings aboutHearn joining the platoon?
4. Describe the men's tents.
5. When the men run into a snake, Wilson seems to be talking about swimming and a boat. But Brown recognizes Wilson is remembering what?
6. Do you think that Hearn suspects any deception from Croft? Why or why not?
7. What do the soldiers carry on their backs through the jungle and how much does it weigh?
8. What is Goldstein's reasoning for the tents not staying up and how does he solve this problem?
9. What is the bird in Part 3, Chapter 5 symbolic of? And how do Croft's actions confirm the symbolism?
10. Why does Hearn dislike Conn, Hobart, and Dalleson?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)