|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How big is the island?
(a) 50 miles long and 100 miles wide.
(b) 100 miles long and 50 miles wide.
(c) 50 miles long and 150 miles wide.
(d) 150 miles long and 50 miles wide.
2. Which character is noticeably more nervous then the others?
3. How many times did Wilson say he has had venereal disease?
4. As Gallagher thinks about the past, why is he upset about the post office job?
(a) He did not pass the employment test.
(b) He was called to war before he could start work.
(c) He was fired from the job.
(d) A Jewish alderman's nephew got the job.
5. What does Cummings state he will do to anyone who retreats from the Japanese?
(a) Court-martial them.
(b) Revoke their medals of honor,
(c) Place them on kitchen duty.
(d) Send them to the stockade.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the book opens, which solider is not taking the card game seriously and offers to give back some of his winnings?
2. How many letters does the dead soldier Hennessey receive?
3. What is the General's worst fear about the island?
4. What have the soliders been doing in the five weeks they have been on the island?
5. During Part 1, Chapter 1, what does Wilson daydream of doing on the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Croft's feelings aboutHearn joining the platoon?
2. How does the narrator describe the quietness of the jungle?
3. What do the soldiers carry on their backs through the jungle and how much does it weigh?
4. What is the general mood on board of the ship as the men leave the island?
5. Why is Dalleson tasked to prepare the logistics for the attack on Toyaku Line?
6. As the men continue to build the road, what thoughts begin to cross their minds and why?
7. What do the mail clerks think about the return address on Hennessey's mail?
8. As the men continue to trek up the mountain, what is their general physical condition?
9. In the opening scene, some of the men are playing cards. How does this card game reveal pieces of the men's personalities?
10. During Part 2, Chapter 7, what does Martinez do in the souvenir hut?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)