|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times did Wilson say he has had venereal disease?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 10, who does Gallagher realize is the only person who understands him?
(b) His mother.
(c) His wife.
3. What events led to Croft joining the Army?
(a) His wife found out he cheated on her.
(b) His desire to kill something grew.
(c) He was discharged from the National Guard.
(d) His wife cheated on him and he hit her.
4. In Part 2, Chapter 7, who finds the illicit whiskey?
5. What does Cummings feel is the nature of a woman?
(a) To bear children.
(b) To cheat.
(c) To provide a home.
(d) To love.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the book opens, which solider is not taking the card game seriously and offers to give back some of his winnings?
2. As Gallagher thinks about the past, why is he upset about the post office job?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 2, what does Croft think about himself?
4. What happens physically to Cummings as things begin to go wrong?
5. What is the tone of Part 1, Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cummings begin to lose control of the men and what were his feeling about this?
2. After carrying Wilson and enduring the heat and exhaustion, why didn't the men leave Wilson behind?
3. What is the general mood on board of the ship as the men leave the island?
4. Polack and Minetta discuss wearing dirty clothes. What are each man's thoughts on this?
5. As the men continue to build the road, what thoughts begin to cross their minds and why?
6. Why had Red gone to the medical tent and what was the result of the visit?
7. In the opening scene, some of the men are playing cards. How does this card game reveal pieces of the men's personalities?
8. Why does Brown sometimes wish he was only a private?
9. How does the narrator describe the pace of Ridges and Goldstein as they carry Wilson through the jungle?
10. How does Minetta's plan to be moved to the mental ward backfire?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)