|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What have the soliders been doing in the five weeks they have been on the island?
(b) Waiting for the Japanese.
(d) Building a road.
2. In Part 2, Chapter 12, why does Red decide to go to the hospital?
(a) To get out of fighting.
(b) He has been experiencing kidney pain.
(c) He has chronic headaches.
(d) He is shot in the leg.
3. What is the relationship between Cummings and Hearn like?
4. What do the troops take from the dead Japanese major?
(a) A diary.
(b) His guns.
(d) Maps of the island.
5. Which character is said to be a loner?
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject did Roth study in college?
2. What does Croft do with the Japanese soldier who did not die from the grenade?
3. The men were taking a break and relaxing on the beach, as the men are talking, Croft becomes angry and fires a shot into the woods, what happens next that creates fear and panic?
4. One evening Brown and Stanley are in their bunks talking. What topic are they discussing?
5. How does Brown feel about being a sergeant?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the men are on the transport boats, they begin to hear gunfire. In your own words, how does the narrator describe this event?
2. What is learned about Cummings sexuality in Part 2, Chapter 6 and what leads to this conclusion?
3. What does Cummings write about in his secret journal?
4. Polack and Minetta discuss wearing dirty clothes. What are each man's thoughts on this?
5. What does Mailer accomplish in the first chapter in terms of mood and characters?
6. Why are the officers upset about the food they receive in the Army?
7. How does Hearn's insecurity show in Part 3, Chapter 2?
8. In the opening scene, some of the men are playing cards. How does this card game reveal pieces of the men's personalities?
9. In the end what was the total death count?
10. Why does Hearn think that a relationship with Croft will be difficult?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)