|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Stanley begin to lose respect for after his promotion?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 9, what bad news does Gallagher receive?
(a) His parents have died.
(b) His wife has died.
(c) His brother has died.
(d) His child has died.
3. Who does Cummings blame for him not knowing the severity of the storm?
(b) The soldiers.
(c) The officers.
(d) The meteorological corps.
4. How does Brown's feelings about women affect Stanley?
(a) He feels they are only good for sex.
(b) He feels more in love with his wife.
(c) He feels his wife may cheat on him.
(d) He feels undeserving of his wife.
5. How does Minetta think the injured are treated?
(b) With speical treatment.
(c) Like dogs.
(d) With compassion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the General's worst fear about the island?
2. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 3, what is Conn complaining about in the officer's mess hall?
3. What does Stanley hope to gain by befriending Brown?
4. The men were taking a break and relaxing on the beach, as the men are talking, Croft becomes angry and fires a shot into the woods, what happens next that creates fear and panic?
5. Why does the new soldier to Croft's platoon feel he does not fit in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the delay in the mail system make it difficult for Gallagher to accept his wife's death?
2. When the men run into a snake, Wilson seems to be talking about swimming and a boat. But Brown recognizes Wilson is remembering what?
3. Why do the men continue to march up the mountain despite their attempts and threats to quit?
4. How is Wilson described in chapter 1?
5. Do you think that Hearn suspects any deception from Croft? Why or why not?
6. How did Stanley get money before the war and what are the other men's reaction to this method?
7. In the end what was the total death count?
8. What does the descriptive text imply about the tone of the opening scene of chapter 1?
9. Why does Red reject Hearn's offer to be promoted to corporal?
10. In the opening scene, some of the men are playing cards. How does this card game reveal pieces of the men's personalities?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)