|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 12, why does Red decide to go to the hospital?
(a) He has chronic headaches.
(b) To get out of fighting.
(c) He is shot in the leg.
(d) He has been experiencing kidney pain.
2. Who does Stanley begin to lose respect for after his promotion?
3. What ulterior motive does Cummings have for his relationship with Hearn?
4. At what time do the troops reach Anopopei?
(a) 0400 hours.
(b) 1800 hours
(c) 0300 hours.
(d) 2200 hours
5. The men were taking a break and relaxing on the beach, as the men are talking, Croft becomes angry and fires a shot into the woods, what happens next that creates fear and panic?
(a) An air strike.
(b) Fighting among the men.
(c) Japanese open fire.
(d) A storm.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the weather turns for the worse and the tents are being blown away, what is the general mood of the men?
2. What is Cummings motive behind assigning Hearn tasks such as bringing him fresh flowers and taking liquor to the officer's mess tent?
3. As Part 1, Chapter 2 opens, the men are getting ready to advance on the island. What solider does Croft feel will be killed upon landing on Anopopei?
4. How big is the island?
5. Hearn has a flashback about his childhood. How is his mother described during this flashback?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 7, the American troops engage some Japanese soldiers. What are Red and Gallagher's reactions to how Croft handles the situation?
2. Why is Gallagher upset with Wilson's reply to his wife's letter?
3. What do the American troops learn about the Japanese troops after the campaign was over?
4. During Part 2, Chapter 7, what does Martinez do in the souvenir hut?
5. Why had Red gone to the medical tent and what was the result of the visit?
6. How did Stanley get money before the war and what are the other men's reaction to this method?
7. When the men run into a snake, Wilson seems to be talking about swimming and a boat. But Brown recognizes Wilson is remembering what?
8. As the men are on the transport boats, they begin to hear gunfire. In your own words, how does the narrator describe this event?
9. Why does Hearn think he is becoming a prude?
10. What do the mail clerks think about the return address on Hennessey's mail?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)