|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hearn request of Cummings in Part 2, Chapter 11?
(a) A chance to fight.
(b) Permission to have some liquor.
(d) A transfer.
2. What does Cummings state he will do to anyone who retreats from the Japanese?
(a) Court-martial them.
(b) Revoke their medals of honor,
(c) Send them to the stockade.
(d) Place them on kitchen duty.
3. What profession does the reader learn Hearn wanted to enter into after graduation?
(b) The family business.
4. In Part 1, Chapter 2, why does Hennessey run out of the foxhole?
(a) The hole is bombed.
(b) He wants to attack the Japanese.
(c) He soils his pants.
(d) He is saving a friend.
5. The men were taking a break and relaxing on the beach, as the men are talking, Croft becomes angry and fires a shot into the woods, what happens next that creates fear and panic?
(a) Japanese open fire.
(b) Fighting among the men.
(c) A storm.
(d) An air strike.
Short Answer Questions
1. How big is the island?
2. How many letters does the dead soldier Hennessey receive?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what does Hearn feel guilty over?
4. What is the tone of Part 1, Chapter 1?
5. By Part 2, Chapter 2, why has Croft become frustrated on the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the American troops learn about the Japanese troops after the campaign was over?
2. How does Hearn's insecurity show in Part 3, Chapter 2?
3. Why had Red gone to the medical tent and what was the result of the visit?
4. What do the soldiers carry on their backs through the jungle and how much does it weigh?
5. What is Goldstein's reasoning for the tents not staying up and how does he solve this problem?
6. What are Croft's feelings aboutHearn joining the platoon?
7. Why do the men continue to march up the mountain despite their attempts and threats to quit?
8. Describe Croft's recurring nightmare.
9. Why is Gallagher upset with Wilson's reply to his wife's letter?
10. How are Croft's instructions to Martinez regarding his mission to inspect the mountain pass deceiving toward Hearn?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)