|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Stanley's promotion to corporal done for him?
(a) He is more confident.
(b) He is more arrogant.
(c) He is more afraid.
(d) He is more responsible.
2. What events led to Croft joining the Army?
(a) His wife found out he cheated on her.
(b) He was discharged from the National Guard.
(c) His desire to kill something grew.
(d) His wife cheated on him and he hit her.
3. How big is the island?
(a) 150 miles long and 50 miles wide.
(b) 50 miles long and 100 miles wide.
(c) 50 miles long and 150 miles wide.
(d) 100 miles long and 50 miles wide.
4. Hearn has a number of undesirable characteristics. What is one of them mentioned in Part 2, Chapter 3?
(a) He is conceited.
(b) He complains about everything.
(c) He has poor hygiene.
(d) He likes to sees others humiliated.
5. How many times did Wilson say he has had venereal disease?
Short Answer Questions
1. What have the soliders been doing in the five weeks they have been on the island?
2. How many letters does the dead soldier Hennessey receive?
3. After Minetta is injured and taken to the hospital, what does he do to delay going back to combat?
4. Wilson tells the men he has another woman in Kansas. What is his reason for liking her more than his own wife?
5. Croft has a flashback and the reader learns that he joined a different branch of the military before joining the Army. What was the first branch Croft joined?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dalleson tasked to prepare the logistics for the attack on Toyaku Line?
2. How does the narrator describe the pace of Ridges and Goldstein as they carry Wilson through the jungle?
3. How does Minetta's plan to be moved to the mental ward backfire?
4. Why does Red reject Hearn's offer to be promoted to corporal?
5. In the opening scene, some of the men are playing cards. How does this card game reveal pieces of the men's personalities?
6. How is Cummings use of the destroyer unnecessary?
7. After carrying Wilson and enduring the heat and exhaustion, why didn't the men leave Wilson behind?
8. What does Cummings write about in his secret journal?
9. Describe Dalleson's advancement in the army and how he feels about his current position.
10. Describe the men's tents.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)