|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Red's strategy for dealing with his current situation of being at war?
(a) Rely on the support of the platoon.
(b) Seek guidance from a superior.
(c) Take it one day at a time.
(d) Think positively.
2. In Part 2, Chapter 10, who does Gallagher realize is the only person who understands him?
(a) His wife.
(d) His mother.
3. What happens physically to Cummings as things begin to go wrong?
(a) He suffers from headaches.
(b) He suffers from vomiting.
(c) He develops a twitch.
(d) He suffers from diarrhea.
4. How big is the island?
(a) 50 miles long and 100 miles wide.
(b) 100 miles long and 50 miles wide.
(c) 50 miles long and 150 miles wide.
(d) 150 miles long and 50 miles wide.
5. Where do the men gather to keep dry during the storm?
(a) Between the trucks.
(b) In their tents.
(c) In the mess hall.
(d) Under trees.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cummings motive behind assigning Hearn tasks such as bringing him fresh flowers and taking liquor to the officer's mess tent?
2. As Part 1, Chapter 2 opens, the men are getting ready to advance on the island. What solider does Croft feel will be killed upon landing on Anopopei?
3. While some of the men are on the beach preparing their sleeping areas and fox holes, what does Stanley do to irritate Ridges?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 5, as Roth thinks about his wife, what can the reader guess about her feelings toward him?
5. When fresh food arrives, how does Cummings divided it between the 180 soldiers and 38 officers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the delay in the mail system make it difficult for Gallagher to accept his wife's death?
2. Why were the soldiers in so much shock when Hearn is shot?
3. In the opening scene, some of the men are playing cards. How does this card game reveal pieces of the men's personalities?
4. Why are the officers upset about the food they receive in the Army?
5. What do the American troops learn about the Japanese troops after the campaign was over?
6. How are Croft and Hearn's feelings about Wilson's injury in contrast to the rules?
7. Describe the men's tents.
8. Describe Dalleson's advancement in the army and how he feels about his current position.
9. In the end what was the total death count?
10. Why does Brown sometimes wish he was only a private?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)