|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 4, how long did the men run before realizing that one of their men is not with them?
(a) 15 minutes.
(b) 10 minutes.
(c) 20 minutes.
(d) 5 minutes.
2. What does Hearn think of Wilson's injury?
(a) Hearn is glad it was not him.
(b) It is not too bad.
(c) Wilson will get more attention.
(d) It has spoiled the mission.
3. Cummings was the commander of the entire island, however, his part in the actual campaign is questionable. What is Cummings responsibility to the success of the attack compared to?
(a) The intelligence of a great man.
(b) A man pressing a button for an elevator.
(c) An attack dog catching it prey.
(d) A baby bird learning to fly.
4. What is Dalleson's aspirations for his career?
(a) Become a Captain.
(b) Retire from the Army.
(c) Return home and become a teacher.
(d) Become a Major.
5. What reason does Minetta give for Goldstein feeling sorry about a man who died in the hospital?
(a) He is scared.
(b) He is not a man.
(c) He is Jewish.
(d) He is geniune.
6. After Wilson dies, how does Ridges feel regarding God?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 13, after further conflict with Hearn, what does Cummings decide to do?
(a) Have Hearn demoted.
(b) Have Hearn transferred again.
(c) Have Hearn lead a reconnaissance patrol.
(d) Have Hearn court-martialed.
8. As the campaign continues, Cummings pessimism grows. But as he reviews the progress of troops, he sees that have have advanced. How does Cummings feel about these advances the troops have made?
9. How is the leader of the patrol through pass killed?
(a) Killed by Croft.
(b) Fell off the mountian.
(d) Bullet in the Chest.
10. One night, Gallagher and Martinez talk about Martinez's search mission of the pass. Martinez admits that he killed a Japanese soldier. What does Gallagher think of Martinez for killing the Japanese soldier?
(a) He is scared.
(b) He is brave.
(c) He is a hero.
(d) He is a monster.
11. The men have almost reached the summit and Croft is the only one who wants to continue to the top. What causes the men to turn back down in the mountain?
(a) They are attacked by hornets.
(b) They receive word that the campaign is over.
(c) Croft is killed.
(d) They defy Croft.
12. Croft's anger with the men increases as they begin to slow down and hold up the mission. Which soldier, in particular, frequently falls and holds up the others?
13. What does Red do when Hearn offers him the rank of corporal?
(a) He thinks it is a ploy.
(b) He rejects it.
(c) He is happily accepts it.
(d) His is afraid of the responsibility.
14. What happens when the troop begins crossing the field?
(a) Croft disappears.
(b) The Japanese attack.
(c) The men fght with each other.
15. In Part 3, Chapter 5, at night Wilson is very vocal. How does Brown try to keep him quiet?
(a) Massages his head.
(b) Gives his whiskey.
(c) Gives him pain killers.
(d) Reads him letters from home.
Short Answer Questions
1. There is an ongoing fear within each of the men in this story. However, during Part 3, Chapter 1, the men briefly forget this fear and the current state of their lives. What event causes this to occur?
2. After failing out of college, what profession did Brown take up?
3. In Part 3, Chapter 7, Hearn is seeking Martinez's advice on what the troops should do. What does Hearn decide to do with the troops?
4. The men have crossed the four-foot gap in the mountain side and have witnessed Roth fall as he tried to jump it. Who does Gallagher eventually blame for Roth's death?
5. What background does Ridges have that leads him to enjoy physical work?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)