|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One night, Gallagher and Martinez talk about Martinez's search mission of the pass. Martinez admits that he killed a Japanese soldier. What does Gallagher think of Martinez for killing the Japanese soldier?
(a) He is a monster.
(b) He is brave.
(c) He is scared.
(d) He is a hero.
2. As the campaign continues, Cummings pessimism grows. But as he reviews the progress of troops, he sees that have have advanced. How does Cummings feel about these advances the troops have made?
3. What does Cummings believe is the way to power?
4. What does Croft do when Roth finds the injured bird?
(a) Let's it go.
(b) Makes fun of Roth for caring for it.
(c) Kills it.
(d) Cares for it.
5. What reason does Minetta give for Goldstein feeling sorry about a man who died in the hospital?
(a) He is not a man.
(b) He is geniune.
(c) He is Jewish.
(d) He is scared.
6. In Part 3, Chapter 11, what does Cummings do when he gets the destroyer?
(a) Destroys the Japanese ships.
(b) Takes Japanese soldiers prisoner.
(c) Destroys the road.
(d) Shells the beach.
7. What does Martinez hope to gain by remaining loyal to the Army?
(a) He will be able to support his family.
(b) He will become a hero.
(d) Lifelong friends.
8. What is the name of the mountain Croft is determined to climb?
(a) Mount Toykau.
(b) Mount Motome.
(c) Mount Anopopei.
(d) Mount Anaka.
9. As Croft looks at the mountain, why is he frustrated?
(a) There is a battle on the other side of the mountian.
(b) He will never get to climb it.
(c) He must lead the troops over it.
(d) He did not travel as far as he wanted to.
10. What does Hearn suggest when the men reach the open field?
(a) They continue marching.
(b) They split up into two groups.
(c) That Croft leads the men.
(d) They rest for the night.
11. Roth thinks about how how angry he is at Croft and feels he would do a better job as a leader and would be nicer to his men. Unconsciously he thinks about his own past actions and hopes they do not bring him bad luck. What negative actions does Roth fear might bring him bad luck?
(a) His behavior as a debt collector.
(b) Seeing the dead.
(c) How he treats his wife.
(d) Thinking negatively.
12. During a conversation with Gallagher about killing a Japanese soldier, Martinez begins to feel guilty and also begins thinking about death. As he thinks about these things, he wishes there was a chaplain with the men. Why does Martinez wish there was a chaplain with them?
(a) So he can confess.
(b) To receive communion.
(c) So he can learn about God.
(d) In case he dies.
13. The men continue up the mountain based on the information provided by Martinez, what do the men assume about the mountain pass?
(a) There are no Japanese soldiers.
(b) Martinez has killed all the Japanese soldiers.
(c) There is no way through.
(d) There are Japanese soldiers.
14. After Wilson dies, how does Ridges feel regarding God?
15. Which soldier states he will re-enlist?
Short Answer Questions
1. After firing a cannon to relieve some tension, Cummings returns to his tent feeling very good. He finds his journal which he keeps locked and begins to write, by the time he has finished his entry, how does Cummings feel about his words?
2. Cummings was the commander of the entire island, however, his part in the actual campaign is questionable. What is Cummings responsibility to the success of the attack compared to?
3. After crossing the open field, who is missing?
4. In Part 3, Chapter 13, who tries to bribe Martinez to defy Croft?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 7, Hearn makes a decision about his future that he know will cause the enlisted men and officers to hate him. What is his decision?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)