|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The men continue up the mountain based on the information provided by Martinez, what do the men assume about the mountain pass?
(a) There are no Japanese soldiers.
(b) Martinez has killed all the Japanese soldiers.
(c) There is no way through.
(d) There are Japanese soldiers.
2. What was wrong with the reports Cummings received about the Japanese bivouac?
(a) Cummings did not have enough men available to investigate.
(b) It was not deserted.
(c) The reports were conflicting.
(d) There were no coordinates.
3. The groups of men carrying Wilson back to the beach are beginning to have a difficult time. They are tired and running out of water, additionally they are beginning to fight, who suggests the men leave Wilson behind?
4. Which soldier states he will re-enlist?
5. Cummings often thinks about how the campaign might go wrong which causes him frustration. In addition to writing in his journal, how else does Cummings release his tensions?
(a) Disciplining the men.
(b) Writing in his journal.
(d) Firing a cannon.
6. Where was Cummings when he had his first homosexual encounter?
(c) West Point.
7. How does Dalleson feel about being chief of operations?
8. In Part 3, Chapter 11, how does Dalleson think the battle ended?
(a) With his efforts.
(b) A lack of food and water.
(c) With the destroyer.
(d) With the hike up the mountian.
9. There is an ongoing fear within each of the men in this story. However, during Part 3, Chapter 1, the men briefly forget this fear and the current state of their lives. What event causes this to occur?
(a) A celebration among the platoon.
(b) A break in fighting.
(c) The sunset.
(d) Letters from home.
10. After crossing the open field, who is missing?
11. Which soldier stays with the soldier who pretends to faint?
12. As Martinez becomes weaker and more tired due to the journey up the mountain, he begins having hallucinations. In these hallucinations, Martinez sees the face of the dead Japanese guard. What effect does this vision have on him?
(a) He is vomiting.
(b) He is becoming restless.
(c) He is going insane.
(d) He can't sleep.
13. In Part 3, Chapter 9, how far could the men carrying Wilson go before having to take a break?
(a) 10 feet.
(b) 50 yards.
(c) 25 yards.
(d) 1 mile.
14. What is the name of the mountain Croft is determined to climb?
(a) Mount Motome.
(b) Mount Toykau.
(c) Mount Anopopei.
(d) Mount Anaka.
15. The reader learns that Martinez fathered an illegitimate child. How does Martinez feel about having an illegitimate child?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 2, why do the men become uneasy as they leave the jungle?
2. The men have almost reached the summit and Croft is the only one who wants to continue to the top. What causes the men to turn back down in the mountain?
3. Hearn's realization that the men he leads will blame him for their problems and dislike him causes what emotion?
4. In Part 3, Chapter 4, why does Hearn think the men resist his leadership?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 1, why does Hearn feel he will have a difficult time with Croft?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)