|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dalleson's aspirations for his career?
(a) Become a Captain.
(b) Become a Major.
(c) Return home and become a teacher.
(d) Retire from the Army.
2. How do the soldiers keep the toilet paper dry?
(a) It is kept in their tents.
(b) It is kept in a plastic bag.
(c) It is kept in a hard plastic container.
(d) It is kept in a tin can.
3. What was wrong with the reports Cummings received about the Japanese bivouac?
(a) The reports were conflicting.
(b) Cummings did not have enough men available to investigate.
(c) There were no coordinates.
(d) It was not deserted.
4. In Part 3, Chapter 14, what does Red feel he needs from the other men?
5. What does Hearn think of Wilson's injury?
(a) It is not too bad.
(b) Hearn is glad it was not him.
(c) It has spoiled the mission.
(d) Wilson will get more attention.
6. In Part 3, Chapter 2, why does Hearn allow Croft to take control?
(a) Croft has more experience.
(b) Croft knows the men better.
(c) Hearn is tired.
(d) Hearn is not confident in himself.
7. How is the leader of the patrol through pass killed?
(a) Killed by Croft.
(c) Fell off the mountian.
(d) Bullet in the Chest.
8. Cummings was the commander of the entire island, however, his part in the actual campaign is questionable. What is Cummings responsibility to the success of the attack compared to?
(a) A baby bird learning to fly.
(b) The intelligence of a great man.
(c) An attack dog catching it prey.
(d) A man pressing a button for an elevator.
9. At this point the soldiers have turned around and are making their way back to the beach. What is the general feeling of the soldiers toward Croft?
10. The men have crossed the four-foot gap in the mountain side and have witnessed Roth fall as he tried to jump it. Who does Gallagher eventually blame for Roth's death?
11. Hearn's realization that the men he leads will blame him for their problems and dislike him causes what emotion?
12. In Part 3, Chapter 8, how many men began the journey up the mountain?
13. Brown is considering his current mission of carrying Wilson back to the beach and becomes angry with Croft for sending him. How is Brown's anger toward Croft for sending him with Wilson a contradiction?
(a) He likes Croft and trusts his judgement.
(b) He was also in need of medical attention.
(c) He is friends with Wilson.
(d) He wanted to be sent.
14. In Part 3, Chapter 5, at night Wilson is very vocal. How does Brown try to keep him quiet?
(a) Reads him letters from home.
(b) Massages his head.
(c) Gives his whiskey.
(d) Gives him pain killers.
15. What does Croft eventually realize about the hike up the mountain?
(a) It will be the turning point of the battle.
(b) It is too great of a task.
(c) They should reach the top by sundown.
(d) They do not have enough food.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 13, after further conflict with Hearn, what does Cummings decide to do?
2. The men hiking up the mountain eventually reach a four-foot gap and are forced to jump and continue. Roth has become weak and feels he can not make it across. What are Roth's final thoughts as he falls through the four-foot gap in the ledge?
3. In Part 3, Chapter 14, which soldier is Goldstein happy to have befriended?
4. The men have almost reached the summit and Croft is the only one who wants to continue to the top. What causes the men to turn back down in the mountain?
5. After Wilson dies, how does Ridges feel regarding God?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)