|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Croft's anger with the men increases as they begin to slow down and hold up the mission. Which soldier, in particular, frequently falls and holds up the others?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 2, how many miles does Hearn want to travel before dark?
(a) 15 miles.
(b) 5 miles.
(c) 20 miles.
(d) 10 miles.
3. The soldiers are tired and their health is beginning to fail, additionally recent events have dulled the man's spirits, however Croft does not seem to care. How do the soldiers feel about Crofts' decision to continue through the pass, given recent events?
4. Hearn's realization that the men he leads will blame him for their problems and dislike him causes what emotion?
5. After Wilson dies, how does Ridges feel regarding God?
6. There is an ongoing fear within each of the men in this story. However, during Part 3, Chapter 1, the men briefly forget this fear and the current state of their lives. What event causes this to occur?
(a) Letters from home.
(b) The sunset.
(c) A break in fighting.
(d) A celebration among the platoon.
7. When Martinez returns from checking the mountain pass, he is deceptive to some of the other men. Who is Martinez hoping to impress by his actions during his mission?
8. As the troop continues up the mountain, the weight of the backpacks weighs them down, making it more difficult to hike. What does Wyman do to try to lighten his pack?
(a) Throws out his medical supplies.
(b) Throws out his dry clothes.
(c) Throws out his canteen.
(d) Throws out is blanket.
9. Roth thinks about how how angry he is at Croft and feels he would do a better job as a leader and would be nicer to his men. Unconsciously he thinks about his own past actions and hopes they do not bring him bad luck. What negative actions does Roth fear might bring him bad luck?
(a) Seeing the dead.
(b) His behavior as a debt collector.
(c) How he treats his wife.
(d) Thinking negatively.
10. In Part 3, Chapter 4, why does Hearn think the men resist his leadership?
(a) They like Croft as their leader.
(b) They do not know him.
(c) They fear Croft.
(d) They think he is worthless.
11. In Part 3, Chapter 14, which soldier is Goldstein happy to have befriended?
12. What does Cummings believe is the way to power?
13. In Part 3, Chapter 13, did Martinez defy Croft, why or why not?
(a) Yes, he hated the man.
(b) No, he was too weak.
(c) No, he was Croft's friend.
(d) Yes, he thought Croft was wrong.
14. In Part 3, Chapter 1, Hearn has been placed in charge of the reconnaissance mission. How far will he and his men have to travel to spy on the Japanese soldiers?
(a) 40 miles
(b) 10 miles
(c) 30 miles
(d) 50 miles
15. What does Martinez hope to gain by remaining loyal to the Army?
(a) He will become a hero.
(b) He will be able to support his family.
(c) Lifelong friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 2, why do the men become uneasy as they leave the jungle?
2. How do the soldiers keep the toilet paper dry?
3. The men hiking up the mountain eventually reach a four-foot gap and are forced to jump and continue. Roth has become weak and feels he can not make it across. What are Roth's final thoughts as he falls through the four-foot gap in the ledge?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 13, after further conflict with Hearn, what does Cummings decide to do?
5. What background does Ridges have that leads him to enjoy physical work?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)