|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the troop begins crossing the field?
(b) The men fght with each other.
(c) Croft disappears.
(d) The Japanese attack.
2. In Part 3, Chapter 11, who is responsible for the battle that kills General Toyaku?
3. How does Dalleson feel about being chief of operations?
4. As the troop continues up the mountain, the weight of the backpacks weighs them down, making it more difficult to hike. What does Wyman do to try to lighten his pack?
(a) Throws out his dry clothes.
(b) Throws out his medical supplies.
(c) Throws out his canteen.
(d) Throws out is blanket.
5. At this point the soldiers have turned around and are making their way back to the beach. What is the general feeling of the soldiers toward Croft?
6. The groups of men carrying Wilson back to the beach are beginning to have a difficult time. They are tired and running out of water, additionally they are beginning to fight, who suggests the men leave Wilson behind?
7. Brown is considering his current mission of carrying Wilson back to the beach and becomes angry with Croft for sending him. How is Brown's anger toward Croft for sending him with Wilson a contradiction?
(a) He was also in need of medical attention.
(b) He is friends with Wilson.
(c) He likes Croft and trusts his judgement.
(d) He wanted to be sent.
8. Cummings was the commander of the entire island, however, his part in the actual campaign is questionable. What is Cummings responsibility to the success of the attack compared to?
(a) The intelligence of a great man.
(b) An attack dog catching it prey.
(c) A man pressing a button for an elevator.
(d) A baby bird learning to fly.
9. In Part 2, Chapter 13, after further conflict with Hearn, what does Cummings decide to do?
(a) Have Hearn lead a reconnaissance patrol.
(b) Have Hearn demoted.
(c) Have Hearn court-martialed.
(d) Have Hearn transferred again.
10. During a flashback of Cummings, the reader learns that he enjoyed sewing and sketching as a child, however his father did not approve. What was his father's action upon learning Cummings was partaking in womanly activities?
(a) His father took him to work at his factory.
(b) His father did nothing.
(c) He was forbidden to continue the activites.
(d) He was sent to military school.
11. In Part 3, Chapter 11, how does Dalleson think the battle ended?
(a) With the hike up the mountian.
(b) A lack of food and water.
(c) With the destroyer.
(d) With his efforts.
12. The men have crossed the four-foot gap in the mountain side and have witnessed Roth fall as he tried to jump it. Who does Gallagher eventually blame for Roth's death?
13. As he is being carried through the jungle to the beach, Wilson dies. What do the men carrying Wilson do after he dies?
(a) Leave him.
(b) Send him down the river.
(c) Continue to carry him to the beach.
(d) Bury him.
14. How does Martinez feel about not taking the dead Japanese soldier's watch?
(a) Happy with himself.
(c) Disapointed in himself.
15. In Part 3, Chapter 14, what does Red feel he needs from the other men?
Short Answer Questions
1. As Martinez becomes weaker and more tired due to the journey up the mountain, he begins having hallucinations. In these hallucinations, Martinez sees the face of the dead Japanese guard. What effect does this vision have on him?
2. There is an ongoing fear within each of the men in this story. However, during Part 3, Chapter 1, the men briefly forget this fear and the current state of their lives. What event causes this to occur?
3. How is the leader of the patrol through pass killed?
4. After firing a cannon to relieve some tension, Cummings returns to his tent feeling very good. He finds his journal which he keeps locked and begins to write, by the time he has finished his entry, how does Cummings feel about his words?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 13, who tries to bribe Martinez to defy Croft?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)