|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 8, how many men began the journey up the mountain?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 4, why does Hearn think the men resist his leadership?
(a) They fear Croft.
(b) They think he is worthless.
(c) They do not know him.
(d) They like Croft as their leader.
3. During a flashback of Cummings, the reader learns that he enjoyed sewing and sketching as a child, however his father did not approve. What was his father's action upon learning Cummings was partaking in womanly activities?
(a) His father took him to work at his factory.
(b) He was sent to military school.
(c) His father did nothing.
(d) He was forbidden to continue the activites.
4. What do the men feel as they look back at the mountain?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 1, Hearn has been placed in charge of the reconnaissance mission. How far will he and his men have to travel to spy on the Japanese soldiers?
(a) 50 miles
(b) 10 miles
(c) 30 miles
(d) 40 miles
6. Which soldier carrying Wilson pretends to faint?
7. In Part 3, Chapter 11, how does Dalleson think the battle ended?
(a) With the hike up the mountian.
(b) With his efforts.
(c) With the destroyer.
(d) A lack of food and water.
8. How do the soldiers keep the toilet paper dry?
(a) It is kept in a hard plastic container.
(b) It is kept in a plastic bag.
(c) It is kept in a tin can.
(d) It is kept in their tents.
9. As the campaign continues, Cummings pessimism grows. But as he reviews the progress of troops, he sees that have have advanced. How does Cummings feel about these advances the troops have made?
10. As Croft looks at the mountain, why is he frustrated?
(a) He must lead the troops over it.
(b) He did not travel as far as he wanted to.
(c) He will never get to climb it.
(d) There is a battle on the other side of the mountian.
11. What does Red do when Hearn offers him the rank of corporal?
(a) His is afraid of the responsibility.
(b) He is happily accepts it.
(c) He thinks it is a ploy.
(d) He rejects it.
12. After Wilson dies, how does Ridges feel regarding God?
13. Cummings often thinks about how the campaign might go wrong which causes him frustration. In addition to writing in his journal, how else does Cummings release his tensions?
(a) Firing a cannon.
(b) Disciplining the men.
(d) Writing in his journal.
14. Croft's anger with the men increases as they begin to slow down and hold up the mission. Which soldier, in particular, frequently falls and holds up the others?
15. How does Martinez feel about not taking the dead Japanese soldier's watch?
(b) Disapointed in himself.
(d) Happy with himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. After crossing the open field, who is missing?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 2, who does Hearn decide cannot be trusted?
3. In Part 3, Chapter 4, how long did the men run before realizing that one of their men is not with them?
4. What does Hearn think of Wilson's injury?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 11, who is responsible for the battle that kills General Toyaku?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)