|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During Brown's flashback, what does he dream of studying in college?
(c) Chemical engineering.
(d) Aeronautical engineering.
2. In Part 3, Chapter 13, did Martinez defy Croft, why or why not?
(a) Yes, he thought Croft was wrong.
(b) Yes, he hated the man.
(c) No, he was Croft's friend.
(d) No, he was too weak.
3. There is an ongoing fear within each of the men in this story. However, during Part 3, Chapter 1, the men briefly forget this fear and the current state of their lives. What event causes this to occur?
(a) A celebration among the platoon.
(b) A break in fighting.
(c) Letters from home.
(d) The sunset.
4. One night on the mountain, Martinez expresses his wish for a chaplain. At this, Polack tells the men his opinion of religion. How does Polack feel about religion?
(a) It gives people hope.
(b) There is no truth to it.
(c) It is a money-making busines
(d) It is a way of life.
5. The men have crossed the four-foot gap in the mountain side and have witnessed Roth fall as he tried to jump it. Who does Gallagher eventually blame for Roth's death?
6. How does Wilson think he will benefit from the gun shot in the stomach?
(a) He will receive a medal of honor.
(b) He will be sent home.
(c) It will relieve the pus from his venereal disease.
(d) He will be put out of his misery.
7. What does Croft do when Roth finds the injured bird?
(a) Kills it.
(b) Cares for it.
(c) Makes fun of Roth for caring for it.
(d) Let's it go.
8. What reason does Minetta give for Goldstein feeling sorry about a man who died in the hospital?
(a) He is geniune.
(b) He is not a man.
(c) He is scared.
(d) He is Jewish.
9. Roth thinks about how how angry he is at Croft and feels he would do a better job as a leader and would be nicer to his men. Unconsciously he thinks about his own past actions and hopes they do not bring him bad luck. What negative actions does Roth fear might bring him bad luck?
(a) How he treats his wife.
(b) Seeing the dead.
(c) His behavior as a debt collector.
(d) Thinking negatively.
10. At this point the soldiers have turned around and are making their way back to the beach. What is the general feeling of the soldiers toward Croft?
11. What was wrong with the reports Cummings received about the Japanese bivouac?
(a) The reports were conflicting.
(b) Cummings did not have enough men available to investigate.
(c) It was not deserted.
(d) There were no coordinates.
12. In Part 3, Chapter 2, who does Hearn decide cannot be trusted?
13. As the soldier's carry Wilson to the beach, his continually complains that he is thirsty. However the men say he can not drink any water with his injury. What is the explanation they give Wilson for not being allowed any water?
(a) The men carrying him need it more.
(b) With a stomach injury, it will kill him.
(c) They left the water behind.
(d) He can drink the rain water.
14. What is the name of the mountain Croft is determined to climb?
(a) Mount Anaka.
(b) Mount Toykau.
(c) Mount Anopopei.
(d) Mount Motome.
15. Cummings often thinks about how the campaign might go wrong which causes him frustration. In addition to writing in his journal, how else does Cummings release his tensions?
(b) Firing a cannon.
(c) Disciplining the men.
(d) Writing in his journal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cummings uses his journal to relieve tension and record his private thoughts, what is the underlying tone of Cummings' writing?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 13, who tries to bribe Martinez to defy Croft?
3. What does Croft eventually realize about the hike up the mountain?
4. Which soldier carrying Wilson pretends to faint?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 2, how many miles does Hearn want to travel before dark?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)