|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the soldier's carry Wilson to the beach, his continually complains that he is thirsty. However the men say he can not drink any water with his injury. What is the explanation they give Wilson for not being allowed any water?
(a) They left the water behind.
(b) The men carrying him need it more.
(c) He can drink the rain water.
(d) With a stomach injury, it will kill him.
2. After failing out of college, what profession did Brown take up?
(a) Factory work.
(b) The family business.
3. In Part 3, Chapter 7, Hearn is seeking Martinez's advice on what the troops should do. What does Hearn decide to do with the troops?
(a) Turn back.
(b) Give them leave.
(c) Give control to Croft.
(d) Continue toward the mountian.
4. What job is Dalleson most confident at performing?
5. What reason does Minetta give for Goldstein feeling sorry about a man who died in the hospital?
(a) He is Jewish.
(b) He is geniune.
(c) He is not a man.
(d) He is scared.
6. Which soldier states he will re-enlist?
7. The men hiking up the mountain eventually reach a four-foot gap and are forced to jump and continue. Roth has become weak and feels he can not make it across. What are Roth's final thoughts as he falls through the four-foot gap in the ledge?
(b) He wants to live.
(d) Relief it is over.
8. What does Cummings believe is the way to power?
9. During a conversation with Gallagher about killing a Japanese soldier, Martinez begins to feel guilty and also begins thinking about death. As he thinks about these things, he wishes there was a chaplain with the men. Why does Martinez wish there was a chaplain with them?
(a) In case he dies.
(b) So he can confess.
(c) So he can learn about God.
(d) To receive communion.
10. The groups of men carrying Wilson back to the beach are beginning to have a difficult time. They are tired and running out of water, additionally they are beginning to fight, who suggests the men leave Wilson behind?
11. In Part 2, Chapter 13, after further conflict with Hearn, what does Cummings decide to do?
(a) Have Hearn lead a reconnaissance patrol.
(b) Have Hearn transferred again.
(c) Have Hearn court-martialed.
(d) Have Hearn demoted.
12. As Martinez becomes weaker and more tired due to the journey up the mountain, he begins having hallucinations. In these hallucinations, Martinez sees the face of the dead Japanese guard. What effect does this vision have on him?
(a) He is becoming restless.
(b) He is going insane.
(c) He can't sleep.
(d) He is vomiting.
13. What is Dalleson's aspirations for his career?
(a) Retire from the Army.
(b) Become a Major.
(c) Return home and become a teacher.
(d) Become a Captain.
14. After firing a cannon to relieve some tension, Cummings returns to his tent feeling very good. He finds his journal which he keeps locked and begins to write, by the time he has finished his entry, how does Cummings feel about his words?
(a) They are meaningless.
(b) They are wise.
(c) They are truthful.
(d) They have no substance.
15. There is an ongoing fear within each of the men in this story. However, during Part 3, Chapter 1, the men briefly forget this fear and the current state of their lives. What event causes this to occur?
(a) Letters from home.
(b) A break in fighting.
(c) A celebration among the platoon.
(d) The sunset.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 2, why does Hearn allow Croft to take control?
2. When Martinez returns from checking the mountain pass, he is deceptive to some of the other men. Who is Martinez hoping to impress by his actions during his mission?
3. Croft has convinced Hearn to move the troops up the mountain. However, Hearn only agrees to this decision if Martinez checks the pass for Japanese presence. As Martinez searches for the presence of Japanese soldiers, what is his first mistake?
4. During Part 3, Chapter 2, what is one thing Hearn realizes he must rely on Croft for?
5. The men have crossed the four-foot gap in the mountain side and have witnessed Roth fall as he tried to jump it. Who does Gallagher eventually blame for Roth's death?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)