|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As he is being carried through the jungle to the beach, Wilson dies. What do the men carrying Wilson do after he dies?
(a) Leave him.
(b) Send him down the river.
(c) Bury him.
(d) Continue to carry him to the beach.
2. Hearn's realization that the men he leads will blame him for their problems and dislike him causes what emotion?
3. After firing a cannon to relieve some tension, Cummings returns to his tent feeling very good. He finds his journal which he keeps locked and begins to write, by the time he has finished his entry, how does Cummings feel about his words?
(a) They are wise.
(b) They are truthful.
(c) They have no substance.
(d) They are meaningless.
4. How does Martinez feel about not taking the dead Japanese soldier's watch?
(b) Happy with himself.
(c) Disapointed in himself.
5. The reader learns that Martinez fathered an illegitimate child. How does Martinez feel about having an illegitimate child?
6. Which soldier states he will re-enlist?
7. What does Red do when Hearn offers him the rank of corporal?
(a) His is afraid of the responsibility.
(b) He rejects it.
(c) He is happily accepts it.
(d) He thinks it is a ploy.
8. Which soldier stays with the soldier who pretends to faint?
9. The men continue up the mountain based on the information provided by Martinez, what do the men assume about the mountain pass?
(a) There are no Japanese soldiers.
(b) There are Japanese soldiers.
(c) There is no way through.
(d) Martinez has killed all the Japanese soldiers.
10. After failing out of college, what profession did Brown take up?
(b) Factory work.
(c) The family business.
11. As the soldier's carry Wilson to the beach, his continually complains that he is thirsty. However the men say he can not drink any water with his injury. What is the explanation they give Wilson for not being allowed any water?
(a) They left the water behind.
(b) With a stomach injury, it will kill him.
(c) The men carrying him need it more.
(d) He can drink the rain water.
12. The soldiers are tired and their health is beginning to fail, additionally recent events have dulled the man's spirits, however Croft does not seem to care. How do the soldiers feel about Crofts' decision to continue through the pass, given recent events?
13. What does Croft do when Roth finds the injured bird?
(a) Let's it go.
(b) Kills it.
(c) Makes fun of Roth for caring for it.
(d) Cares for it.
14. During Part 3, Chapter 2, what is one thing Hearn realizes he must rely on Croft for?
(a) His friendships with the soldiers.
(b) His expereince.
(c) His strength.
(d) His ability to lead.
15. In Part 3, Chapter 5, at night Wilson is very vocal. How does Brown try to keep him quiet?
(a) Massages his head.
(b) Reads him letters from home.
(c) Gives his whiskey.
(d) Gives him pain killers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men feel as they look back at the mountain?
2. Brown is considering his current mission of carrying Wilson back to the beach and becomes angry with Croft for sending him. How is Brown's anger toward Croft for sending him with Wilson a contradiction?
3. Roth thinks about how how angry he is at Croft and feels he would do a better job as a leader and would be nicer to his men. Unconsciously he thinks about his own past actions and hopes they do not bring him bad luck. What negative actions does Roth fear might bring him bad luck?
4. Cummings was the commander of the entire island, however, his part in the actual campaign is questionable. What is Cummings responsibility to the success of the attack compared to?
5. At this point the soldiers have turned around and are making their way back to the beach. What is the general feeling of the soldiers toward Croft?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)