|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hearn's realization that the men he leads will blame him for their problems and dislike him causes what emotion?
2. How is the leader of the patrol through pass killed?
(a) Bullet in the Chest.
(b) Killed by Croft.
(d) Fell off the mountian.
3. Brown is considering his current mission of carrying Wilson back to the beach and becomes angry with Croft for sending him. How is Brown's anger toward Croft for sending him with Wilson a contradiction?
(a) He likes Croft and trusts his judgement.
(b) He is friends with Wilson.
(c) He wanted to be sent.
(d) He was also in need of medical attention.
4. Roth thinks about how how angry he is at Croft and feels he would do a better job as a leader and would be nicer to his men. Unconsciously he thinks about his own past actions and hopes they do not bring him bad luck. What negative actions does Roth fear might bring him bad luck?
(a) His behavior as a debt collector.
(b) Thinking negatively.
(c) How he treats his wife.
(d) Seeing the dead.
5. In Part 3, Chapter 9, how far could the men carrying Wilson go before having to take a break?
(a) 10 feet.
(b) 25 yards.
(c) 1 mile.
(d) 50 yards.
6. In Part 3, Chapter 13, who tries to bribe Martinez to defy Croft?
7. What does Red do when Hearn offers him the rank of corporal?
(a) He rejects it.
(b) He thinks it is a ploy.
(c) His is afraid of the responsibility.
(d) He is happily accepts it.
8. During a flashback of Cummings, the reader learns that he enjoyed sewing and sketching as a child, however his father did not approve. What was his father's action upon learning Cummings was partaking in womanly activities?
(a) His father did nothing.
(b) His father took him to work at his factory.
(c) He was forbidden to continue the activites.
(d) He was sent to military school.
9. In Part 3, Chapter 14, which soldier is Goldstein happy to have befriended?
10. What reason does Minetta give for Goldstein feeling sorry about a man who died in the hospital?
(a) He is geniune.
(b) He is not a man.
(c) He is scared.
(d) He is Jewish.
11. The men hiking up the mountain eventually reach a four-foot gap and are forced to jump and continue. Roth has become weak and feels he can not make it across. What are Roth's final thoughts as he falls through the four-foot gap in the ledge?
(a) Relief it is over.
(b) He wants to live.
12. During Part 3, Chapter 2, what is one thing Hearn realizes he must rely on Croft for?
(a) His friendships with the soldiers.
(b) His expereince.
(c) His strength.
(d) His ability to lead.
13. What is Croft's intention in telling Hearn there are no Japanese guarding the pass and in sending him and a group of men to patrol?
(a) Hearn would be killed.
(b) Hearn would give up command.
(c) Croft would be seen as a hero.
(d) Hearn would begin to trust Croft.
14. As the campaign continues, Cummings pessimism grows. But as he reviews the progress of troops, he sees that have have advanced. How does Cummings feel about these advances the troops have made?
15. There is an ongoing fear within each of the men in this story. However, during Part 3, Chapter 1, the men briefly forget this fear and the current state of their lives. What event causes this to occur?
(a) The sunset.
(b) A break in fighting.
(c) Letters from home.
(d) A celebration among the platoon.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the troop continues up the mountain, the weight of the backpacks weighs them down, making it more difficult to hike. What does Wyman do to try to lighten his pack?
2. What does Hearn suggest when the men reach the open field?
3. How do the soldiers keep the toilet paper dry?
4. The men have crossed the four-foot gap in the mountain side and have witnessed Roth fall as he tried to jump it. Who does Gallagher eventually blame for Roth's death?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 11, how does Dalleson think the battle ended?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)