|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 7, Hearn is seeking Martinez's advice on what the troops should do. What does Hearn decide to do with the troops?
(a) Give control to Croft.
(b) Give them leave.
(c) Continue toward the mountian.
(d) Turn back.
2. Which soldier states he will re-enlist?
3. During Brown's flashback, what does he dream of studying in college?
(b) Chemical engineering.
(d) Aeronautical engineering.
4. One night, Gallagher and Martinez talk about Martinez's search mission of the pass. Martinez admits that he killed a Japanese soldier. What does Gallagher think of Martinez for killing the Japanese soldier?
(a) He is brave.
(b) He is a monster.
(c) He is a hero.
(d) He is scared.
5. In Part 3, Chapter 8, how many men began the journey up the mountain?
6. How long does Cummings suspect it will take for men to breach the Toyaku Line?
(a) 2 days.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 3 days.
(d) 2 hours.
7. Cummings uses his journal to relieve tension and record his private thoughts, what is the underlying tone of Cummings' writing?
8. What does Red do when Hearn offers him the rank of corporal?
(a) His is afraid of the responsibility.
(b) He is happily accepts it.
(c) He rejects it.
(d) He thinks it is a ploy.
9. At this point the soldiers have turned around and are making their way back to the beach. What is the general feeling of the soldiers toward Croft?
10. As he is being carried through the jungle to the beach, Wilson dies. What do the men carrying Wilson do after he dies?
(a) Send him down the river.
(b) Leave him.
(c) Continue to carry him to the beach.
(d) Bury him.
11. What does Cummings believe is the way to power?
12. Which soldier carrying Wilson pretends to faint?
13. Cummings often thinks about how the campaign might go wrong which causes him frustration. In addition to writing in his journal, how else does Cummings release his tensions?
(b) Firing a cannon.
(c) Writing in his journal.
(d) Disciplining the men.
14. There is an ongoing fear within each of the men in this story. However, during Part 3, Chapter 1, the men briefly forget this fear and the current state of their lives. What event causes this to occur?
(a) The sunset.
(b) Letters from home.
(c) A celebration among the platoon.
(d) A break in fighting.
15. In Part 3, Chapter 2, who does Hearn decide cannot be trusted?
Short Answer Questions
1. As Martinez becomes weaker and more tired due to the journey up the mountain, he begins having hallucinations. In these hallucinations, Martinez sees the face of the dead Japanese guard. What effect does this vision have on him?
2. Cummings was the commander of the entire island, however, his part in the actual campaign is questionable. What is Cummings responsibility to the success of the attack compared to?
3. In Part 3, Chapter 2, how many miles does Hearn want to travel before dark?
4. Croft has convinced Hearn to move the troops up the mountain. However, Hearn only agrees to this decision if Martinez checks the pass for Japanese presence. As Martinez searches for the presence of Japanese soldiers, what is his first mistake?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 14, what does Red feel he needs from the other men?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)