|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 4, how long did the men run before realizing that one of their men is not with them?
(a) 15 minutes.
(b) 5 minutes.
(c) 20 minutes.
(d) 10 minutes.
2. In Part 3, Chapter 14, what does Red feel he needs from the other men?
3. Hearn's realization that the men he leads will blame him for their problems and dislike him causes what emotion?
4. As he is being carried through the jungle to the beach, Wilson dies. What do the men carrying Wilson do after he dies?
(a) Continue to carry him to the beach.
(b) Leave him.
(c) Bury him.
(d) Send him down the river.
5. Where was Cummings when he had his first homosexual encounter?
(a) West Point.
6. In Part 3, Chapter 2, why does Hearn allow Croft to take control?
(a) Hearn is not confident in himself.
(b) Croft knows the men better.
(c) Croft has more experience.
(d) Hearn is tired.
7. The men continue up the mountain based on the information provided by Martinez, what do the men assume about the mountain pass?
(a) There are Japanese soldiers.
(b) There are no Japanese soldiers.
(c) There is no way through.
(d) Martinez has killed all the Japanese soldiers.
8. What was wrong with the reports Cummings received about the Japanese bivouac?
(a) It was not deserted.
(b) The reports were conflicting.
(c) Cummings did not have enough men available to investigate.
(d) There were no coordinates.
9. As Martinez becomes weaker and more tired due to the journey up the mountain, he begins having hallucinations. In these hallucinations, Martinez sees the face of the dead Japanese guard. What effect does this vision have on him?
(a) He is going insane.
(b) He is vomiting.
(c) He is becoming restless.
(d) He can't sleep.
10. Which soldier states he will re-enlist?
11. As Croft looks at the mountain, why is he frustrated?
(a) He must lead the troops over it.
(b) There is a battle on the other side of the mountian.
(c) He will never get to climb it.
(d) He did not travel as far as he wanted to.
12. The men have crossed the four-foot gap in the mountain side and have witnessed Roth fall as he tried to jump it. Who does Gallagher eventually blame for Roth's death?
13. As the troop continues up the mountain, the weight of the backpacks weighs them down, making it more difficult to hike. What does Wyman do to try to lighten his pack?
(a) Throws out his dry clothes.
(b) Throws out his canteen.
(c) Throws out his medical supplies.
(d) Throws out is blanket.
14. The men have almost reached the summit and Croft is the only one who wants to continue to the top. What causes the men to turn back down in the mountain?
(a) They receive word that the campaign is over.
(b) They are attacked by hornets.
(c) They defy Croft.
(d) Croft is killed.
15. Croft has convinced Hearn to move the troops up the mountain. However, Hearn only agrees to this decision if Martinez checks the pass for Japanese presence. As Martinez searches for the presence of Japanese soldiers, what is his first mistake?
(a) He kills a Japanese gaurd.
(b) He travels alone.
(c) He forgets to bring a radio.
(d) He opposes Crofts order.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Martinez feel about not taking the dead Japanese soldier's watch?
2. What does Croft do when Roth finds the injured bird?
3. After crossing the open field, who is missing?
4. After failing out of college, what profession did Brown take up?
5. Cummings often thinks about how the campaign might go wrong which causes him frustration. In addition to writing in his journal, how else does Cummings release his tensions?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)