|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After crossing the open field, who is missing?
2. At this point the soldiers have turned around and are making their way back to the beach. What is the general feeling of the soldiers toward Croft?
3. Which soldier states he will re-enlist?
4. Roth thinks about how how angry he is at Croft and feels he would do a better job as a leader and would be nicer to his men. Unconsciously he thinks about his own past actions and hopes they do not bring him bad luck. What negative actions does Roth fear might bring him bad luck?
(a) His behavior as a debt collector.
(b) Seeing the dead.
(c) How he treats his wife.
(d) Thinking negatively.
5. One night on the mountain, Martinez expresses his wish for a chaplain. At this, Polack tells the men his opinion of religion. How does Polack feel about religion?
(a) It gives people hope.
(b) It is a money-making busines
(c) There is no truth to it.
(d) It is a way of life.
6. When Martinez returns from checking the mountain pass, he is deceptive to some of the other men. Who is Martinez hoping to impress by his actions during his mission?
7. As the soldier's carry Wilson to the beach, his continually complains that he is thirsty. However the men say he can not drink any water with his injury. What is the explanation they give Wilson for not being allowed any water?
(a) He can drink the rain water.
(b) They left the water behind.
(c) With a stomach injury, it will kill him.
(d) The men carrying him need it more.
8. The men have crossed the four-foot gap in the mountain side and have witnessed Roth fall as he tried to jump it. Who does Gallagher eventually blame for Roth's death?
9. How do the soldiers keep the toilet paper dry?
(a) It is kept in a tin can.
(b) It is kept in a hard plastic container.
(c) It is kept in a plastic bag.
(d) It is kept in their tents.
10. In Part 3, Chapter 11, what does Cummings do when he gets the destroyer?
(a) Takes Japanese soldiers prisoner.
(b) Destroys the Japanese ships.
(c) Destroys the road.
(d) Shells the beach.
11. Croft's anger with the men increases as they begin to slow down and hold up the mission. Which soldier, in particular, frequently falls and holds up the others?
12. In Part 3, Chapter 13, did Martinez defy Croft, why or why not?
(a) No, he was Croft's friend.
(b) Yes, he thought Croft was wrong.
(c) Yes, he hated the man.
(d) No, he was too weak.
13. What is Croft's intention in telling Hearn there are no Japanese guarding the pass and in sending him and a group of men to patrol?
(a) Croft would be seen as a hero.
(b) Hearn would give up command.
(c) Hearn would begin to trust Croft.
(d) Hearn would be killed.
14. In Part 3, Chapter 2, who does Hearn decide cannot be trusted?
15. What does Cummings believe is the way to power?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 1, Hearn has been placed in charge of the reconnaissance mission. How far will he and his men have to travel to spy on the Japanese soldiers?
2. The reader learns that Martinez fathered an illegitimate child. How does Martinez feel about having an illegitimate child?
3. Hearn's realization that the men he leads will blame him for their problems and dislike him causes what emotion?
4. In Part 3, Chapter 8, how many men began the journey up the mountain?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 9, how far could the men carrying Wilson go before having to take a break?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)