|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Roth thinks about how how angry he is at Croft and feels he would do a better job as a leader and would be nicer to his men. Unconsciously he thinks about his own past actions and hopes they do not bring him bad luck. What negative actions does Roth fear might bring him bad luck?
(a) Seeing the dead.
(b) Thinking negatively.
(c) How he treats his wife.
(d) His behavior as a debt collector.
2. During a conversation with Gallagher about killing a Japanese soldier, Martinez begins to feel guilty and also begins thinking about death. As he thinks about these things, he wishes there was a chaplain with the men. Why does Martinez wish there was a chaplain with them?
(a) In case he dies.
(b) So he can confess.
(c) To receive communion.
(d) So he can learn about God.
3. In Part 3, Chapter 14, which soldier is Goldstein happy to have befriended?
4. In Part 3, Chapter 1, why does Hearn feel he will have a difficult time with Croft?
(a) Hearn is his superior.
(b) Croft is Hearn's superior.
(c) Croft is friends with Cummings.
(d) Croft does not like anyone.
5. After Wilson dies, how does Ridges feel regarding God?
6. During a flashback of Cummings, the reader learns that he enjoyed sewing and sketching as a child, however his father did not approve. What was his father's action upon learning Cummings was partaking in womanly activities?
(a) He was forbidden to continue the activites.
(b) His father took him to work at his factory.
(c) His father did nothing.
(d) He was sent to military school.
7. What was wrong with the reports Cummings received about the Japanese bivouac?
(a) Cummings did not have enough men available to investigate.
(b) It was not deserted.
(c) The reports were conflicting.
(d) There were no coordinates.
8. In Part 3, Chapter 4, how long did the men run before realizing that one of their men is not with them?
(a) 20 minutes.
(b) 5 minutes.
(c) 10 minutes.
(d) 15 minutes.
9. One night on the mountain, Martinez expresses his wish for a chaplain. At this, Polack tells the men his opinion of religion. How does Polack feel about religion?
(a) It gives people hope.
(b) It is a way of life.
(c) It is a money-making busines
(d) There is no truth to it.
10. When Martinez returns from checking the mountain pass, he is deceptive to some of the other men. Who is Martinez hoping to impress by his actions during his mission?
11. The men have almost reached the summit and Croft is the only one who wants to continue to the top. What causes the men to turn back down in the mountain?
(a) They are attacked by hornets.
(b) They receive word that the campaign is over.
(c) They defy Croft.
(d) Croft is killed.
12. How does Wilson think he will benefit from the gun shot in the stomach?
(a) He will be put out of his misery.
(b) It will relieve the pus from his venereal disease.
(c) He will receive a medal of honor.
(d) He will be sent home.
13. The reader learns that Martinez fathered an illegitimate child. How does Martinez feel about having an illegitimate child?
14. In Part 3, Chapter 11, how does Dalleson think the battle ended?
(a) With the destroyer.
(b) A lack of food and water.
(c) With the hike up the mountian.
(d) With his efforts.
15. What is Dalleson's aspirations for his career?
(a) Become a Captain.
(b) Retire from the Army.
(c) Become a Major.
(d) Return home and become a teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which soldier states he will re-enlist?
2. What background does Ridges have that leads him to enjoy physical work?
3. What does Martinez hope to gain by remaining loyal to the Army?
4. In Part 3, Chapter 14, why is the captain of the boat upset?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 2, why do the men become uneasy as they leave the jungle?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)