|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 2, who does Hearn decide cannot be trusted?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 8, how many men began the journey up the mountain?
3. What was wrong with the reports Cummings received about the Japanese bivouac?
(a) The reports were conflicting.
(b) It was not deserted.
(c) There were no coordinates.
(d) Cummings did not have enough men available to investigate.
4. In Part 3, Chapter 13, did Martinez defy Croft, why or why not?
(a) Yes, he thought Croft was wrong.
(b) Yes, he hated the man.
(c) No, he was too weak.
(d) No, he was Croft's friend.
5. What does Croft do when Roth finds the injured bird?
(a) Kills it.
(b) Cares for it.
(c) Makes fun of Roth for caring for it.
(d) Let's it go.
6. One night, Gallagher and Martinez talk about Martinez's search mission of the pass. Martinez admits that he killed a Japanese soldier. What does Gallagher think of Martinez for killing the Japanese soldier?
(a) He is a monster.
(b) He is scared.
(c) He is brave.
(d) He is a hero.
7. Which soldier states he will re-enlist?
8. Where was Cummings when he had his first homosexual encounter?
(b) West Point.
9. During a conversation with Gallagher about killing a Japanese soldier, Martinez begins to feel guilty and also begins thinking about death. As he thinks about these things, he wishes there was a chaplain with the men. Why does Martinez wish there was a chaplain with them?
(a) In case he dies.
(b) So he can learn about God.
(c) To receive communion.
(d) So he can confess.
10. Cummings often thinks about how the campaign might go wrong which causes him frustration. In addition to writing in his journal, how else does Cummings release his tensions?
(b) Firing a cannon.
(c) Writing in his journal.
(d) Disciplining the men.
11. In Part 3, Chapter 11, how does Dalleson think the battle ended?
(a) With the hike up the mountian.
(b) A lack of food and water.
(c) With the destroyer.
(d) With his efforts.
12. In Part 3, Chapter 1, Hearn has been placed in charge of the reconnaissance mission. How far will he and his men have to travel to spy on the Japanese soldiers?
(a) 30 miles
(b) 10 miles
(c) 50 miles
(d) 40 miles
13. What does Croft eventually realize about the hike up the mountain?
(a) They should reach the top by sundown.
(b) It is too great of a task.
(c) They do not have enough food.
(d) It will be the turning point of the battle.
14. In Part 3, Chapter 11, who is responsible for the battle that kills General Toyaku?
15. In Part 3, Chapter 7, Hearn is seeking Martinez's advice on what the troops should do. What does Hearn decide to do with the troops?
(a) Continue toward the mountian.
(b) Turn back.
(c) Give them leave.
(d) Give control to Croft.
Short Answer Questions
1. The reader learns that Martinez fathered an illegitimate child. How does Martinez feel about having an illegitimate child?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 14, what does Red feel he needs from the other men?
3. As the campaign continues, Cummings pessimism grows. But as he reviews the progress of troops, he sees that have have advanced. How does Cummings feel about these advances the troops have made?
4. What do the men feel as they look back at the mountain?
5. What does Minetta fantasize about?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)