|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the mountain Croft is determined to climb?
(a) Mount Toykau.
(b) Mount Motome.
(c) Mount Anaka.
(d) Mount Anopopei.
2. At this point the soldiers have turned around and are making their way back to the beach. What is the general feeling of the soldiers toward Croft?
3. What does Ridges do that causes him to becomes emotional?
(a) Tries to save Wilson's soul.
(b) Puts Wilson out of his misery.
(c) Refuses to continue.
(d) Fights with Gallagher.
4. One night, Gallagher and Martinez talk about Martinez's search mission of the pass. Martinez admits that he killed a Japanese soldier. What does Gallagher think of Martinez for killing the Japanese soldier?
(a) He is scared.
(b) He is brave.
(c) He is a hero.
(d) He is a monster.
5. In Part 3, Chapter 9, how far could the men carrying Wilson go before having to take a break?
(a) 1 mile.
(b) 10 feet.
(c) 25 yards.
(d) 50 yards.
6. In Part 3, Chapter 7, Hearn makes a decision about his future that he know will cause the enlisted men and officers to hate him. What is his decision?
(a) Kill Croft.
(b) Resign his commission.
(c) Court-martial those who did not follow his orders.
(d) Inform his superiors of the men's fears.
7. Which soldier carrying Wilson pretends to faint?
8. In Part 3, Chapter 2, how many miles does Hearn want to travel before dark?
(a) 10 miles.
(b) 15 miles.
(c) 5 miles.
(d) 20 miles.
9. The reader learns that Martinez fathered an illegitimate child. How does Martinez feel about having an illegitimate child?
10. Where was Cummings when he had his first homosexual encounter?
(d) West Point.
11. In Part 3, Chapter 11, how does Dalleson think the battle ended?
(a) With the hike up the mountian.
(b) With the destroyer.
(c) With his efforts.
(d) A lack of food and water.
12. In Part 3, Chapter 4, why does Hearn think the men resist his leadership?
(a) They like Croft as their leader.
(b) They fear Croft.
(c) They think he is worthless.
(d) They do not know him.
13. Hearn's realization that the men he leads will blame him for their problems and dislike him causes what emotion?
14. The soldiers are tired and their health is beginning to fail, additionally recent events have dulled the man's spirits, however Croft does not seem to care. How do the soldiers feel about Crofts' decision to continue through the pass, given recent events?
15. In Part 3, Chapter 8, how many men began the journey up the mountain?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 13, after further conflict with Hearn, what does Cummings decide to do?
2. What was wrong with the reports Cummings received about the Japanese bivouac?
3. There is an ongoing fear within each of the men in this story. However, during Part 3, Chapter 1, the men briefly forget this fear and the current state of their lives. What event causes this to occur?
4. The men have crossed the four-foot gap in the mountain side and have witnessed Roth fall as he tried to jump it. Who does Gallagher eventually blame for Roth's death?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 13, did Martinez defy Croft, why or why not?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)