|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. There is an ongoing fear within each of the men in this story. However, during Part 3, Chapter 1, the men briefly forget this fear and the current state of their lives. What event causes this to occur?
(a) A celebration among the platoon.
(b) Letters from home.
(c) A break in fighting.
(d) The sunset.
2. What does Hearn think of Wilson's injury?
(a) It is not too bad.
(b) Hearn is glad it was not him.
(c) Wilson will get more attention.
(d) It has spoiled the mission.
3. What was wrong with the reports Cummings received about the Japanese bivouac?
(a) The reports were conflicting.
(b) It was not deserted.
(c) Cummings did not have enough men available to investigate.
(d) There were no coordinates.
4. What happens when the troop begins crossing the field?
(b) Croft disappears.
(c) The men fght with each other.
(d) The Japanese attack.
5. What is the name of the mountain Croft is determined to climb?
(a) Mount Motome.
(b) Mount Anopopei.
(c) Mount Anaka.
(d) Mount Toykau.
6. In Part 3, Chapter 11, who is responsible for the battle that kills General Toyaku?
7. After crossing the open field, who is missing?
8. What does Hearn suggest when the men reach the open field?
(a) They rest for the night.
(b) That Croft leads the men.
(c) They continue marching.
(d) They split up into two groups.
9. When Martinez returns from checking the mountain pass, he is deceptive to some of the other men. Who is Martinez hoping to impress by his actions during his mission?
10. Roth thinks about how how angry he is at Croft and feels he would do a better job as a leader and would be nicer to his men. Unconsciously he thinks about his own past actions and hopes they do not bring him bad luck. What negative actions does Roth fear might bring him bad luck?
(a) Seeing the dead.
(b) How he treats his wife.
(c) His behavior as a debt collector.
(d) Thinking negatively.
11. After firing a cannon to relieve some tension, Cummings returns to his tent feeling very good. He finds his journal which he keeps locked and begins to write, by the time he has finished his entry, how does Cummings feel about his words?
(a) They are truthful.
(b) They have no substance.
(c) They are meaningless.
(d) They are wise.
12. During Brown's flashback, what does he dream of studying in college?
(a) Aeronautical engineering.
(b) Chemical engineering.
13. How do the soldiers keep the toilet paper dry?
(a) It is kept in a plastic bag.
(b) It is kept in a hard plastic container.
(c) It is kept in a tin can.
(d) It is kept in their tents.
14. As Croft looks at the mountain, why is he frustrated?
(a) He must lead the troops over it.
(b) He will never get to climb it.
(c) There is a battle on the other side of the mountian.
(d) He did not travel as far as he wanted to.
15. At this point the soldiers have turned around and are making their way back to the beach. What is the general feeling of the soldiers toward Croft?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 7, Hearn is seeking Martinez's advice on what the troops should do. What does Hearn decide to do with the troops?
2. What does Red do when Hearn offers him the rank of corporal?
3. Which soldier states he will re-enlist?
4. Which soldier carrying Wilson pretends to faint?
5. As the soldier's carry Wilson to the beach, his continually complains that he is thirsty. However the men say he can not drink any water with his injury. What is the explanation they give Wilson for not being allowed any water?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)