|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 14, why is the captain of the boat upset?
(a) The men are spitting on the deck.
(b) The campaign is over.
(c) The weather is poor.
(d) Not all the men survived.
2. One night, Gallagher and Martinez talk about Martinez's search mission of the pass. Martinez admits that he killed a Japanese soldier. What does Gallagher think of Martinez for killing the Japanese soldier?
(a) He is a hero.
(b) He is a monster.
(c) He is brave.
(d) He is scared.
3. What is Croft's intention in telling Hearn there are no Japanese guarding the pass and in sending him and a group of men to patrol?
(a) Hearn would be killed.
(b) Hearn would give up command.
(c) Hearn would begin to trust Croft.
(d) Croft would be seen as a hero.
4. What happens when the troop begins crossing the field?
(a) The Japanese attack.
(b) The men fght with each other.
(d) Croft disappears.
5. During Part 3, Chapter 2, what is one thing Hearn realizes he must rely on Croft for?
(a) His strength.
(b) His expereince.
(c) His friendships with the soldiers.
(d) His ability to lead.
6. In Part 2, Chapter 13, after further conflict with Hearn, what does Cummings decide to do?
(a) Have Hearn lead a reconnaissance patrol.
(b) Have Hearn transferred again.
(c) Have Hearn court-martialed.
(d) Have Hearn demoted.
7. After crossing the open field, who is missing?
8. As Martinez becomes weaker and more tired due to the journey up the mountain, he begins having hallucinations. In these hallucinations, Martinez sees the face of the dead Japanese guard. What effect does this vision have on him?
(a) He is going insane.
(b) He is vomiting.
(c) He can't sleep.
(d) He is becoming restless.
9. In Part 3, Chapter 4, how long did the men run before realizing that one of their men is not with them?
(a) 10 minutes.
(b) 20 minutes.
(c) 5 minutes.
(d) 15 minutes.
10. In Part 3, Chapter 13, did Martinez defy Croft, why or why not?
(a) Yes, he thought Croft was wrong.
(b) No, he was too weak.
(c) No, he was Croft's friend.
(d) Yes, he hated the man.
11. How is the leader of the patrol through pass killed?
(a) Bullet in the Chest.
(b) Fell off the mountian.
(d) Killed by Croft.
12. There is an ongoing fear within each of the men in this story. However, during Part 3, Chapter 1, the men briefly forget this fear and the current state of their lives. What event causes this to occur?
(a) A celebration among the platoon.
(b) The sunset.
(c) Letters from home.
(d) A break in fighting.
13. In Part 3, Chapter 14, what does Red feel he needs from the other men?
14. The men continue up the mountain based on the information provided by Martinez, what do the men assume about the mountain pass?
(a) There are no Japanese soldiers.
(b) There is no way through.
(c) There are Japanese soldiers.
(d) Martinez has killed all the Japanese soldiers.
15. In Part 3, Chapter 2, why does Hearn allow Croft to take control?
(a) Hearn is not confident in himself.
(b) Croft has more experience.
(c) Hearn is tired.
(d) Croft knows the men better.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the soldier's carry Wilson to the beach, his continually complains that he is thirsty. However the men say he can not drink any water with his injury. What is the explanation they give Wilson for not being allowed any water?
2. Cummings often thinks about how the campaign might go wrong which causes him frustration. In addition to writing in his journal, how else does Cummings release his tensions?
3. What was wrong with the reports Cummings received about the Japanese bivouac?
4. After firing a cannon to relieve some tension, Cummings returns to his tent feeling very good. He finds his journal which he keeps locked and begins to write, by the time he has finished his entry, how does Cummings feel about his words?
5. Roth thinks about how how angry he is at Croft and feels he would do a better job as a leader and would be nicer to his men. Unconsciously he thinks about his own past actions and hopes they do not bring him bad luck. What negative actions does Roth fear might bring him bad luck?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)