|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During a conversation with Gallagher about killing a Japanese soldier, Martinez begins to feel guilty and also begins thinking about death. As he thinks about these things, he wishes there was a chaplain with the men. Why does Martinez wish there was a chaplain with them?
(a) So he can learn about God.
(b) To receive communion.
(c) So he can confess.
(d) In case he dies.
2. Where was Cummings when he had his first homosexual encounter?
(b) West Point.
3. As Martinez becomes weaker and more tired due to the journey up the mountain, he begins having hallucinations. In these hallucinations, Martinez sees the face of the dead Japanese guard. What effect does this vision have on him?
(a) He is becoming restless.
(b) He can't sleep.
(c) He is going insane.
(d) He is vomiting.
4. In Part 3, Chapter 14, which soldier is Goldstein happy to have befriended?
5. During Brown's flashback, what does he dream of studying in college?
(b) Chemical engineering.
(d) Aeronautical engineering.
6. The men hiking up the mountain eventually reach a four-foot gap and are forced to jump and continue. Roth has become weak and feels he can not make it across. What are Roth's final thoughts as he falls through the four-foot gap in the ledge?
(a) Relief it is over.
(c) He wants to live.
7. What does Hearn suggest when the men reach the open field?
(a) They split up into two groups.
(b) They rest for the night.
(c) They continue marching.
(d) That Croft leads the men.
8. Which soldier stays with the soldier who pretends to faint?
9. In Part 3, Chapter 13, did Martinez defy Croft, why or why not?
(a) No, he was too weak.
(b) Yes, he thought Croft was wrong.
(c) Yes, he hated the man.
(d) No, he was Croft's friend.
10. After failing out of college, what profession did Brown take up?
(b) Factory work.
(d) The family business.
11. What does Croft do when Roth finds the injured bird?
(a) Makes fun of Roth for caring for it.
(b) Kills it.
(c) Cares for it.
(d) Let's it go.
12. What does Ridges do that causes him to becomes emotional?
(a) Puts Wilson out of his misery.
(b) Fights with Gallagher.
(c) Tries to save Wilson's soul.
(d) Refuses to continue.
13. After Wilson dies, how does Ridges feel regarding God?
14. In Part 3, Chapter 1, Hearn has been placed in charge of the reconnaissance mission. How far will he and his men have to travel to spy on the Japanese soldiers?
(a) 50 miles
(b) 40 miles
(c) 30 miles
(d) 10 miles
15. In Part 3, Chapter 11, what does Cummings do when he gets the destroyer?
(a) Takes Japanese soldiers prisoner.
(b) Destroys the Japanese ships.
(c) Destroys the road.
(d) Shells the beach.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Martinez returns from checking the mountain pass, he is deceptive to some of the other men. Who is Martinez hoping to impress by his actions during his mission?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 7, Hearn is seeking Martinez's advice on what the troops should do. What does Hearn decide to do with the troops?
3. In Part 3, Chapter 9, how far could the men carrying Wilson go before having to take a break?
4. As the troop continues up the mountain, the weight of the backpacks weighs them down, making it more difficult to hike. What does Wyman do to try to lighten his pack?
5. One night on the mountain, Martinez expresses his wish for a chaplain. At this, Polack tells the men his opinion of religion. How does Polack feel about religion?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)