|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During a flashback of Cummings, the reader learns that he enjoyed sewing and sketching as a child, however his father did not approve. What was his father's action upon learning Cummings was partaking in womanly activities?
(a) His father took him to work at his factory.
(b) He was forbidden to continue the activites.
(c) His father did nothing.
(d) He was sent to military school.
2. Which soldier carrying Wilson pretends to faint?
3. After failing out of college, what profession did Brown take up?
(c) The family business.
(d) Factory work.
4. The men hiking up the mountain eventually reach a four-foot gap and are forced to jump and continue. Roth has become weak and feels he can not make it across. What are Roth's final thoughts as he falls through the four-foot gap in the ledge?
(a) Relief it is over.
(b) He wants to live.
5. What job is Dalleson most confident at performing?
6. In Part 3, Chapter 11, who is responsible for the battle that kills General Toyaku?
7. When Martinez returns from checking the mountain pass, he is deceptive to some of the other men. Who is Martinez hoping to impress by his actions during his mission?
8. One night, Gallagher and Martinez talk about Martinez's search mission of the pass. Martinez admits that he killed a Japanese soldier. What does Gallagher think of Martinez for killing the Japanese soldier?
(a) He is brave.
(b) He is scared.
(c) He is a monster.
(d) He is a hero.
9. Cummings was the commander of the entire island, however, his part in the actual campaign is questionable. What is Cummings responsibility to the success of the attack compared to?
(a) A baby bird learning to fly.
(b) The intelligence of a great man.
(c) An attack dog catching it prey.
(d) A man pressing a button for an elevator.
10. In Part 3, Chapter 11, how does Dalleson think the battle ended?
(a) With his efforts.
(b) With the hike up the mountian.
(c) A lack of food and water.
(d) With the destroyer.
11. What does Cummings believe is the way to power?
12. As the campaign continues, Cummings pessimism grows. But as he reviews the progress of troops, he sees that have have advanced. How does Cummings feel about these advances the troops have made?
13. After Wilson dies, how does Ridges feel regarding God?
14. At this point the soldiers have turned around and are making their way back to the beach. What is the general feeling of the soldiers toward Croft?
15. What does Hearn think of Wilson's injury?
(a) It is not too bad.
(b) Hearn is glad it was not him.
(c) It has spoiled the mission.
(d) Wilson will get more attention.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Cummings suspect it will take for men to breach the Toyaku Line?
2. The men continue up the mountain based on the information provided by Martinez, what do the men assume about the mountain pass?
3. The groups of men carrying Wilson back to the beach are beginning to have a difficult time. They are tired and running out of water, additionally they are beginning to fight, who suggests the men leave Wilson behind?
4. What does Croft do when Roth finds the injured bird?
5. What is the name of the mountain Croft is determined to climb?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)