|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Cummings when he had his first homosexual encounter?
(c) West Point.
2. In Part 3, Chapter 2, who does Hearn decide cannot be trusted?
3. Which soldier carrying Wilson pretends to faint?
4. In Part 3, Chapter 14, which soldier is Goldstein happy to have befriended?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 13, after further conflict with Hearn, what does Cummings decide to do?
(a) Have Hearn transferred again.
(b) Have Hearn lead a reconnaissance patrol.
(c) Have Hearn court-martialed.
(d) Have Hearn demoted.
6. In Part 3, Chapter 4, why does Hearn think the men resist his leadership?
(a) They like Croft as their leader.
(b) They think he is worthless.
(c) They fear Croft.
(d) They do not know him.
7. One night, Gallagher and Martinez talk about Martinez's search mission of the pass. Martinez admits that he killed a Japanese soldier. What does Gallagher think of Martinez for killing the Japanese soldier?
(a) He is a hero.
(b) He is a monster.
(c) He is scared.
(d) He is brave.
8. What happens when the troop begins crossing the field?
(a) Croft disappears.
(c) The men fght with each other.
(d) The Japanese attack.
9. In Part 3, Chapter 13, who tries to bribe Martinez to defy Croft?
10. As he is being carried through the jungle to the beach, Wilson dies. What do the men carrying Wilson do after he dies?
(a) Send him down the river.
(b) Leave him.
(c) Bury him.
(d) Continue to carry him to the beach.
11. In Part 3, Chapter 1, why does Hearn feel he will have a difficult time with Croft?
(a) Croft does not like anyone.
(b) Croft is Hearn's superior.
(c) Hearn is his superior.
(d) Croft is friends with Cummings.
12. The groups of men carrying Wilson back to the beach are beginning to have a difficult time. They are tired and running out of water, additionally they are beginning to fight, who suggests the men leave Wilson behind?
13. In Part 3, Chapter 11, what does Cummings do when he gets the destroyer?
(a) Destroys the Japanese ships.
(b) Takes Japanese soldiers prisoner.
(c) Shells the beach.
(d) Destroys the road.
14. At this point the soldiers have turned around and are making their way back to the beach. What is the general feeling of the soldiers toward Croft?
15. How long does Cummings suspect it will take for men to breach the Toyaku Line?
(a) 3 days.
(b) 2 hours.
(c) 2 days.
(d) 2 weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 4, how long did the men run before realizing that one of their men is not with them?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 13, did Martinez defy Croft, why or why not?
3. Cummings often thinks about how the campaign might go wrong which causes him frustration. In addition to writing in his journal, how else does Cummings release his tensions?
4. Croft has convinced Hearn to move the troops up the mountain. However, Hearn only agrees to this decision if Martinez checks the pass for Japanese presence. As Martinez searches for the presence of Japanese soldiers, what is his first mistake?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 7, Hearn is seeking Martinez's advice on what the troops should do. What does Hearn decide to do with the troops?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)