|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hearn has a number of undesirable characteristics. What is one of them mentioned in Part 2, Chapter 3?
(a) He is conceited.
(b) He likes to sees others humiliated.
(c) He has poor hygiene.
(d) He complains about everything.
2. Who does Cummings blame for him not knowing the severity of the storm?
(a) The soldiers.
(b) The officers.
(d) The meteorological corps.
3. In Part 2, Chapter 9, who delivers the bad news to Gallagher?
(a) The chaplain.
(c) The mail clerks.
4. How do the soldiers feel about the conditions of the island?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what does Hearn feel guilty over?
(a) Being an officer.
(b) Being born in a poor family.
(c) Fighting with others.
(d) Having dry clothes.
6. Leach offers a number of excuses why he can not take a picture of Dalleson. Which of the following is not one of his excuses?
(a) He has little film.
(b) The lighting is off.
(c) The lens angle is not right.
(d) The shutter speed is not fast enough.
7. What is Wilson's reason for not telling the woman in Kansas about his wife?
(a) He does not really want to be with her.
(b) He does not want to commit.
(c) He does not want to get divorced.
(d) She may know his wife.
8. Who does Stanley begin to lose respect for after his promotion?
9. In the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 1, some of the men are playing poker. Which card player wins 100 Australian pounds?
10. What is the relationship between Cummings and Hearn like?
11. In Part 2, Chapter 8, how does Wakara feel around the other men?
12. What natural landmark is on the island?
(d) Mountain range
13. In Part 2, Chapter 12, why does Red decide to go to the hospital?
(a) He is shot in the leg.
(b) He has been experiencing kidney pain.
(c) To get out of fighting.
(d) He has chronic headaches.
14. In Part 2, Chapter 3, which character is upset that the officers have a higher standard of living than the soldiers?
15. What profession does the reader learn Hearn wanted to enter into after graduation?
(c) The family business.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 7, who finds the illicit whiskey?
2. Goldstein thinks about opening a business with his wife. What type of business does he want to open?
3. One evening Brown and Stanley are in their bunks talking. What topic are they discussing?
4. What is Cummings reasoning for treating the soldiers unfairly?
5. How many times did Wilson say he has had venereal disease?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)