|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens physically to Cummings as things begin to go wrong?
(a) He suffers from headaches.
(b) He suffers from diarrhea.
(c) He suffers from vomiting.
(d) He develops a twitch.
2. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 7, who throws the grenade at the Japanese soldiers?
3. Wilson had a flashback to his life before the war. During this flashback the reader learns the Wilson admires his father for what reason?
(a) The amount of liquor he can drink.
(b) He loves his wife.
(c) He is a sucessful businessman.
(d) He is an honorable man.
4. As the book opens, which solider is not taking the card game seriously and offers to give back some of his winnings?
5. Why does Martinez refuse to be in charge of other men?
(a) He thinks it will be too much pressure.
(b) He is afraid of the responsibility.
(c) He thinks they will not listen to him because he is Mexican.
(d) He feels he does not have the training to lead others.
6. During a discussion between Brown and Stanley, what does Brown say he will do to his wife if she is cheating on him?
(a) Divorce her.
(b) Kill her.
(c) Beat her up.
(d) Forgive her.
7. In Part 2, Chapter 1, the men are now on the island, who is the commanding officer on the island?
8. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 3, what is Conn complaining about in the officer's mess hall?
(b) The Japanese.
(c) Labor unions.
9. What natural landmark is on the island?
(d) Mountain range
10. Leach offers a number of excuses why he can not take a picture of Dalleson. Which of the following is not one of his excuses?
(a) The shutter speed is not fast enough.
(b) He has little film.
(c) The lighting is off.
(d) The lens angle is not right.
11. What does Hearn request of Cummings in Part 2, Chapter 11?
(b) Permission to have some liquor.
(c) A chance to fight.
(d) A transfer.
12. What events led to Croft joining the Army?
(a) He was discharged from the National Guard.
(b) His wife found out he cheated on her.
(c) His desire to kill something grew.
(d) His wife cheated on him and he hit her.
13. In the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 1, some of the men are playing poker. Which card player wins 100 Australian pounds?
14. Where do the men gather to keep dry during the storm?
(a) Between the trucks.
(b) In their tents.
(c) In the mess hall.
(d) Under trees.
15. In Part 2, Chapter 8, how does Wakara feel around the other men?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Wilson's reason for not telling the woman in Kansas about his wife?
2. How does Brown feel about being a sergeant?
3. How does the commanding officer describe Anopopei?
4. In Martinez's flashback in Part 2, Chapter 2, what did he dream of becoming?
5. There is some question of who let the gun go as the men were pushing it through the Jungle. Who does Croft suspect is responsible?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)