|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship between Cummings and Hearn like?
2. How many times did Wilson say he has had venereal disease?
3. The men were taking a break and relaxing on the beach, as the men are talking, Croft becomes angry and fires a shot into the woods, what happens next that creates fear and panic?
(a) Japanese open fire.
(b) Fighting among the men.
(c) An air strike.
(d) A storm.
4. Which character is noticeably more nervous then the others?
5. Goldstein thinks about opening a business with his wife. What type of business does he want to open?
6. Which character is said to be a loner?
7. As Gallagher thinks about the past, why is he upset about the post office job?
(a) A Jewish alderman's nephew got the job.
(b) He was called to war before he could start work.
(c) He did not pass the employment test.
(d) He was fired from the job.
8. How does Wilson control his wife?
(a) By taking her money away.
(b) By hitting her.
(c) By threatening her.
(d) By working things out with her.
9. What events led to Croft joining the Army?
(a) His wife found out he cheated on her.
(b) His wife cheated on him and he hit her.
(c) His desire to kill something grew.
(d) He was discharged from the National Guard.
10. Wilson had a flashback to his life before the war. During this flashback the reader learns the Wilson admires his father for what reason?
(a) He is a sucessful businessman.
(b) He is an honorable man.
(c) The amount of liquor he can drink.
(d) He loves his wife.
11. In Part 2, Chapter 9, what bad news does Gallagher receive?
(a) His brother has died.
(b) His child has died.
(c) His wife has died.
(d) His parents have died.
12. What is the tone of Part 1, Chapter 1?
13. During Part 2, Chapter 8, what are most of the soldiers doing?
(a) Relaxing on the beach.
(b) Fighting the Japanese.
(c) Reparing their tents.
(d) Building a road.
14. In Part 2, Chapter 9, how is the life of these soldiers described?
(b) Hanging in the balance.
15. In Part 2, Chapter 6, who is in charge of setting up the recreation tent?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the men gather to keep dry during the storm?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 9, who delivers the bad news to Gallagher?
3. What is Red's strategy for dealing with his current situation of being at war?
4. During Gallagher's flashback, what organization does the reader learn he joined as a teenager?
5. How big is the island?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)