|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By Part 2, Chapter 2, why has Croft become frustrated on the island?
(a) He feels his platoon is only on labor duties.
(b) He feels his platoon is fighting too much.
(c) He feels his platoon does not have enough dry clothes.
(d) He feels his platoon needs more men.
2. As Gallagher thinks about the past, why is he upset about the post office job?
(a) A Jewish alderman's nephew got the job.
(b) He was fired from the job.
(c) He did not pass the employment test.
(d) He was called to war before he could start work.
3. How does Minetta think the injured are treated?
(a) With compassion.
(c) With speical treatment.
(d) Like dogs.
4. What happens physically to Cummings as things begin to go wrong?
(a) He suffers from diarrhea.
(b) He develops a twitch.
(c) He suffers from headaches.
(d) He suffers from vomiting.
5. At what time do the troops reach Anopopei?
(a) 2200 hours
(b) 0300 hours.
(c) 1800 hours
(d) 0400 hours.
6. Wilson had a flashback to his life before the war. During this flashback the reader learns the Wilson admires his father for what reason?
(a) He loves his wife.
(b) The amount of liquor he can drink.
(c) He is a sucessful businessman.
(d) He is an honorable man.
7. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 5, what is Roth dreaming of when Minetta woke him up?
(d) His wife.
8. Where do the men gather to keep dry during the storm?
(a) Under trees.
(b) In their tents.
(c) Between the trucks.
(d) In the mess hall.
9. In Part 2, Chapter 5, as Roth thinks about his wife, what can the reader guess about her feelings toward him?
(a) She wishes to have children.
(b) She loves Roth.
(c) She thinks he is sucessful.
(d) She thinks he worthless.
10. Wilson tells the men he has another woman in Kansas. What is his reason for liking her more than his own wife?
(a) She is a better cook.
(b) She is better in bed.
(c) She is wealthy.
(d) She keeps the house clean.
11. Why does Martinez refuse to be in charge of other men?
(a) He is afraid of the responsibility.
(b) He feels he does not have the training to lead others.
(c) He thinks they will not listen to him because he is Mexican.
(d) He thinks it will be too much pressure.
12. Goldstein thinks about opening a business with his wife. What type of business does he want to open?
13. What does Cummings feel is the nature of a woman?
(a) To love.
(b) To bear children.
(c) To provide a home.
(d) To cheat.
14. What subject did Roth study in college?
15. In Martinez's flashback in Part 2, Chapter 2, what did he dream of becoming?
Short Answer Questions
1. One evening Brown and Stanley are in their bunks talking. What topic are they discussing?
2. Croft has a flashback and the reader learns that he joined a different branch of the military before joining the Army. What was the first branch Croft joined?
3. As Part 1, Chapter 2 opens, the men are getting ready to advance on the island. What solider does Croft feel will be killed upon landing on Anopopei?
4. Why is Cummings upset about when reviewing the air operations reports?
5. How does Brown feel about being a sergeant?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)