|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 2, who does Mantelli send to Croft's platoon?
(c) Glodstein .
2. In Part 2, Chapter 3, which character is upset that the officers have a higher standard of living than the soldiers?
3. During Gallagher's flashback, what organization does the reader learn he joined as a teenager?
(a) Christians United.
(b) The Communist Party.
(c) Jehovah Witness.
(d) The Young Republicans.
4. What does Cummings feel is the nature of a woman?
(a) To provide a home.
(b) To love.
(c) To bear children.
(d) To cheat.
5. What does Hearn request of Cummings in Part 2, Chapter 11?
(a) Permission to have some liquor.
(b) A chance to fight.
(c) A transfer.
6. How big is the island?
(a) 50 miles long and 100 miles wide.
(b) 150 miles long and 50 miles wide.
(c) 50 miles long and 150 miles wide.
(d) 100 miles long and 50 miles wide.
7. During Part 1, Chapter 1, what does Wilson daydream of doing on the island?
(c) Manufacturing liquor.
(d) Selling fruit.
8. What seems to be happening to Cumming's control in Part 2, Chapter 11?
(a) It is breaking down.
(b) It is increasing.
(c) He is becoming doubtful.
(d) He wants to transfer control to someone else.
9. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 5, what is Roth dreaming of when Minetta woke him up?
(c) His wife.
10. Why is Cummings upset about when reviewing the air operations reports?
(a) Too complicated of an operation.
(b) Not enough air support.
(c) Fights with other men.
(d) Not enough time to prepare.
11. What is the tone of Part 1, Chapter 1?
12. Hearn has a flashback about his childhood. How is his mother described during this flashback?
(a) An angel.
13. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what does Hearn feel guilty over?
(a) Having dry clothes.
(b) Fighting with others.
(c) Being born in a poor family.
(d) Being an officer.
14. As Gallagher thinks about the past, why is he upset about the post office job?
(a) He did not pass the employment test.
(b) He was fired from the job.
(c) He was called to war before he could start work.
(d) A Jewish alderman's nephew got the job.
15. One evening Brown and Stanley are in their bunks talking. What topic are they discussing?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the island this platoon invaded before reaching Anopopei?
2. As the book opens, which solider is not taking the card game seriously and offers to give back some of his winnings?
3. Which character is said to be a loner?
4. What do the troops take from the dead Japanese major?
5. During a discussion between Brown and Stanley, what does Brown say he will do to his wife if she is cheating on him?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)