|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many letters does the dead soldier Hennessey receive?
2. How does Minetta think the injured are treated?
(a) With speical treatment.
(b) Like dogs.
(c) With compassion.
3. What does Stanley hope to gain by befriending Brown?
(b) A job.
(d) Extra time off.
4. Which character is said to be a loner?
5. By Part 2, Chapter 2, why has Croft become frustrated on the island?
(a) He feels his platoon does not have enough dry clothes.
(b) He feels his platoon needs more men.
(c) He feels his platoon is only on labor duties.
(d) He feels his platoon is fighting too much.
6. While some of the men are on the beach preparing their sleeping areas and fox holes, what does Stanley do to irritate Ridges?
(a) Kicks sand back in the hole Ridges is digging.
(b) Teases Ridges about being afraid of war.
(c) Jokes Ridges about losing the poker game last night.
(d) Gives Ridges the grunt work.
7. In Part 2, Chapter 9, how is the life of these soldiers described?
(b) Hanging in the balance.
8. Leach offers a number of excuses why he can not take a picture of Dalleson. Which of the following is not one of his excuses?
(a) The shutter speed is not fast enough.
(b) The lens angle is not right.
(c) He has little film.
(d) The lighting is off.
9. Why does the new soldier to Croft's platoon feel he does not fit in?
(a) The others know he is a better soldier.
(b) He is Jewish.
(c) He is new.
(d) He is college educated.
10. How does Brown feel about being a sergeant?
11. In Part 2, Chapter 9, who delivers the bad news to Gallagher?
(a) The mail clerks.
(b) The chaplain.
12. How does Brown's feelings about women affect Stanley?
(a) He feels they are only good for sex.
(b) He feels more in love with his wife.
(c) He feels undeserving of his wife.
(d) He feels his wife may cheat on him.
13. What profession does the reader learn Hearn wanted to enter into after graduation?
(b) The family business.
14. In Part 1, Chapter 2, what does Croft think about himself?
(a) He is omnipotent.
(b) He is unworthy.
(c) He is a good soldier.
(d) He is a coward.
15. In Part 2, Chapter 2, who does Mantelli send to Croft's platoon?
(c) Glodstein .
Short Answer Questions
1. As the weather turns for the worse and the tents are being blown away, what is the general mood of the men?
2. Why is Cummings upset about when reviewing the air operations reports?
3. Hearn has a flashback about his childhood. How is his mother described during this flashback?
4. What does Cummings feel is the nature of a woman?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 2, why does Hennessey run out of the foxhole?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)