|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 7, who throws the grenade at the Japanese soldiers?
2. What seems to be happening to Cumming's control in Part 2, Chapter 11?
(a) It is breaking down.
(b) It is increasing.
(c) He wants to transfer control to someone else.
(d) He is becoming doubtful.
3. In Part 2, Chapter 10, who does Gallagher realize is the only person who understands him?
(a) His wife.
(d) His mother.
4. There is some question of who let the gun go as the men were pushing it through the Jungle. Who does Croft suspect is responsible?
5. How many letters does the dead soldier Hennessey receive?
6. During a discussion between Brown and Stanley, what does Brown say he will do to his wife if she is cheating on him?
(a) Forgive her.
(b) Kill her.
(c) Beat her up.
(d) Divorce her.
7. Why does Martinez refuse to be in charge of other men?
(a) He feels he does not have the training to lead others.
(b) He is afraid of the responsibility.
(c) He thinks they will not listen to him because he is Mexican.
(d) He thinks it will be too much pressure.
8. Croft has a flashback and the reader learns that he joined a different branch of the military before joining the Army. What was the first branch Croft joined?
(a) Air Force.
(d) National Guard.
9. What events led to Croft joining the Army?
(a) His wife cheated on him and he hit her.
(b) His wife found out he cheated on her.
(c) He was discharged from the National Guard.
(d) His desire to kill something grew.
10. Hearn has a number of undesirable characteristics. What is one of them mentioned in Part 2, Chapter 3?
(a) He complains about everything.
(b) He is conceited.
(c) He has poor hygiene.
(d) He likes to sees others humiliated.
11. What is the name of the island this platoon invaded before reaching Anopopei?
12. Who does Cummings blame for him not knowing the severity of the storm?
(a) The officers.
(b) The soldiers.
(c) The meteorological corps.
13. In Part 2, Chapter 6, who is in charge of setting up the recreation tent?
14. What does Stanley hope to gain by befriending Brown?
(a) A job.
(b) Extra time off.
15. What does Cummings feel is the nature of a woman?
(a) To love.
(b) To bear children.
(c) To cheat.
(d) To provide a home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Stanley begin to lose respect for after his promotion?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 2, who does Mantelli send to Croft's platoon?
3. Why does the new soldier to Croft's platoon feel he does not fit in?
4. As the weather turns for the worse and the tents are being blown away, what is the general mood of the men?
5. What ulterior motive does Cummings have for his relationship with Hearn?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)