|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many letters does the dead soldier Hennessey receive?
2. During Part 1, Chapter 1, what does Wilson daydream of doing on the island?
(a) Manufacturing liquor.
(c) Selling fruit.
3. What seems to be happening to Cumming's control in Part 2, Chapter 11?
(a) He is becoming doubtful.
(b) He wants to transfer control to someone else.
(c) It is breaking down.
(d) It is increasing.
4. What do the troops take from the dead Japanese major?
(a) A diary.
(b) His guns.
(c) Maps of the island.
5. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 3, what is Conn complaining about in the officer's mess hall?
(b) The Japanese.
(d) Labor unions.
6. In Part 2, Chapter 2, who does Mantelli send to Croft's platoon?
(b) Glodstein .
7. What is the name of the island this platoon invaded before reaching Anopopei?
8. There is some question of who let the gun go as the men were pushing it through the Jungle. Who does Croft suspect is responsible?
9. In Part 2, Chapter 8, how does Wakara feel around the other men?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what does Hearn feel guilty over?
(a) Being born in a poor family.
(b) Being an officer.
(c) Fighting with others.
(d) Having dry clothes.
11. After Minetta is injured and taken to the hospital, what does he do to delay going back to combat?
(a) Gets into a fight hoping he will be court martialed.
(b) Sneaks out of the hospital.
(c) Fakes being mentally ill.
(d) Claims he is ill.
12. In Part 2, Chapter 5, as Roth thinks about his wife, what can the reader guess about her feelings toward him?
(a) She thinks he is sucessful.
(b) She wishes to have children.
(c) She thinks he worthless.
(d) She loves Roth.
13. What is Wilson's reason for not telling the woman in Kansas about his wife?
(a) He does not really want to be with her.
(b) She may know his wife.
(c) He does not want to commit.
(d) He does not want to get divorced.
14. How does the commanding officer describe Anopopei?
(a) Like an ocarina.
(b) Like a kidney bean.
(c) Like paradise.
(d) Like hell.
15. In Part 1, Chapter 2, what does Croft think about himself?
(a) He is omnipotent.
(b) He is a coward.
(c) He is a good soldier.
(d) He is unworthy.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Part 2, Chapter 8, what are most of the soldiers doing?
2. What profession does the reader learn Hearn wanted to enter into after graduation?
3. Hearn has a flashback about his childhood. How is his mother described during this flashback?
4. Which character is noticeably more nervous then the others?
5. What is the tone of Part 1, Chapter 1?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)