|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Cummings upset about when reviewing the air operations reports?
(a) Not enough time to prepare.
(b) Too complicated of an operation.
(c) Fights with other men.
(d) Not enough air support.
2. During Part 2, Chapter 8, what are most of the soldiers doing?
(a) Relaxing on the beach.
(b) Reparing their tents.
(c) Fighting the Japanese.
(d) Building a road.
3. What have the soliders been doing in the five weeks they have been on the island?
(a) Waiting for the Japanese.
(b) Building a road.
4. During Gallagher's flashback, what organization does the reader learn he joined as a teenager?
(a) Jehovah Witness.
(b) Christians United.
(c) The Young Republicans.
(d) The Communist Party.
5. In Martinez's flashback in Part 2, Chapter 2, what did he dream of becoming?
6. What does Cummings state he will do to anyone who retreats from the Japanese?
(a) Revoke their medals of honor,
(b) Send them to the stockade.
(c) Court-martial them.
(d) Place them on kitchen duty.
7. What is the General's worst fear about the island?
(a) Bad weather.
(b) The openness of the beach.
(c) The jungle.
(d) Lack of food.
8. How does Wilson control his wife?
(a) By threatening her.
(b) By taking her money away.
(c) By working things out with her.
(d) By hitting her.
9. What is the tone of Part 1, Chapter 1?
10. While some of the men are on the beach preparing their sleeping areas and fox holes, what does Stanley do to irritate Ridges?
(a) Jokes Ridges about losing the poker game last night.
(b) Gives Ridges the grunt work.
(c) Kicks sand back in the hole Ridges is digging.
(d) Teases Ridges about being afraid of war.
11. In Part 2, Chapter 9, what bad news does Gallagher receive?
(a) His parents have died.
(b) His brother has died.
(c) His wife has died.
(d) His child has died.
12. Wilson had a flashback to his life before the war. During this flashback the reader learns the Wilson admires his father for what reason?
(a) He is a sucessful businessman.
(b) He loves his wife.
(c) He is an honorable man.
(d) The amount of liquor he can drink.
13. As the book opens, which solider is not taking the card game seriously and offers to give back some of his winnings?
14. As Part 1, Chapter 2 opens, the men are getting ready to advance on the island. What solider does Croft feel will be killed upon landing on Anopopei?
15. How does Brown feel about being a sergeant?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the commanding officer describe Anopopei?
2. At what time do the troops reach Anopopei?
3. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 3, what is Conn complaining about in the officer's mess hall?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 10, who does Gallagher realize is the only person who understands him?
5. Leach offers a number of excuses why he can not take a picture of Dalleson. Which of the following is not one of his excuses?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)