|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While some of the men are on the beach preparing their sleeping areas and fox holes, what does Stanley do to irritate Ridges?
(a) Jokes Ridges about losing the poker game last night.
(b) Teases Ridges about being afraid of war.
(c) Gives Ridges the grunt work.
(d) Kicks sand back in the hole Ridges is digging.
2. Wilson tells the men he has another woman in Kansas. What is his reason for liking her more than his own wife?
(a) She is a better cook.
(b) She is better in bed.
(c) She keeps the house clean.
(d) She is wealthy.
3. What events led to Croft joining the Army?
(a) His wife cheated on him and he hit her.
(b) His wife found out he cheated on her.
(c) He was discharged from the National Guard.
(d) His desire to kill something grew.
4. During Gallagher's flashback, what organization does the reader learn he joined as a teenager?
(a) The Young Republicans.
(b) The Communist Party.
(c) Jehovah Witness.
(d) Christians United.
5. During Part 1, Chapter 1, what does Wilson daydream of doing on the island?
(a) Manufacturing liquor.
(c) Selling fruit.
6. How many letters does the dead soldier Hennessey receive?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 6, who is in charge of setting up the recreation tent?
8. One evening Brown and Stanley are in their bunks talking. What topic are they discussing?
9. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 5, what is Roth dreaming of when Minetta woke him up?
(c) His wife.
10. What natural landmark is on the island?
(a) Mountain range
11. During the first days of the troops being on the island, how have the Japanese resistance reacted?
(a) Full-force attacks.
(b) Half-hearted attacks.
(c) There has been no sign of the Japanese.
12. How big is the island?
(a) 100 miles long and 50 miles wide.
(b) 150 miles long and 50 miles wide.
(c) 50 miles long and 150 miles wide.
(d) 50 miles long and 100 miles wide.
13. In Part 2, Chapter 12, why does Red decide to go to the hospital?
(a) He is shot in the leg.
(b) He has chronic headaches.
(c) He has been experiencing kidney pain.
(d) To get out of fighting.
14. What is the tone of Part 1, Chapter 1?
15. Who is the only man to feel sorry about Hennessey's death?
Short Answer Questions
1. As Gallagher thinks about the past, why is he upset about the post office job?
2. Why is Cummings upset about when reviewing the air operations reports?
3. What does Cummings state he will do to anyone who retreats from the Japanese?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 9, what bad news does Gallagher receive?
5. What have the soliders been doing in the five weeks they have been on the island?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)