|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Goldstein thinks about opening a business with his wife. What type of business does he want to open?
2. During a discussion between Brown and Stanley, what does Brown say he will do to his wife if she is cheating on him?
(a) Kill her.
(b) Beat her up.
(c) Divorce her.
(d) Forgive her.
3. What has Stanley's promotion to corporal done for him?
(a) He is more arrogant.
(b) He is more responsible.
(c) He is more confident.
(d) He is more afraid.
4. What subject did Roth study in college?
5. What is Wilson's reason for not telling the woman in Kansas about his wife?
(a) He does not want to get divorced.
(b) She may know his wife.
(c) He does not really want to be with her.
(d) He does not want to commit.
6. In the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 1, some of the men are playing poker. Which card player wins 100 Australian pounds?
7. Wilson tells the men he has another woman in Kansas. What is his reason for liking her more than his own wife?
(a) She is a better cook.
(b) She keeps the house clean.
(c) She is wealthy.
(d) She is better in bed.
8. In Part 2, Chapter 3, which character is upset that the officers have a higher standard of living than the soldiers?
9. What have the soliders been doing in the five weeks they have been on the island?
(a) Waiting for the Japanese.
(c) Building a road.
10. During Gallagher's flashback, what organization does the reader learn he joined as a teenager?
(a) The Young Republicans.
(b) Jehovah Witness.
(c) Christians United.
(d) The Communist Party.
11. Hearn has a flashback about his childhood. How is his mother described during this flashback?
(c) An angel.
12. As the weather turns for the worse and the tents are being blown away, what is the general mood of the men?
13. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 5, what is Roth dreaming of when Minetta woke him up?
(c) His wife.
14. In Part 2, Chapter 9, what bad news does Gallagher receive?
(a) His child has died.
(b) His parents have died.
(c) His wife has died.
(d) His brother has died.
15. What natural landmark is on the island?
(d) Mountain range
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Major Dalleson's assistant?
2. While some of the men are on the beach preparing their sleeping areas and fox holes, what does Stanley do to irritate Ridges?
3. Where do the men gather to keep dry during the storm?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 8, how does Wakara feel around the other men?
5. What is the tone of Part 1, Chapter 1?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)