|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Cummings reasoning for treating the soldiers unfairly?
(a) He treats everyone unfairly.
(b) They deserve it.
(c) It is Army law.
(d) They will fight better.
2. What has Stanley's promotion to corporal done for him?
(a) He is more arrogant.
(b) He is more afraid.
(c) He is more confident.
(d) He is more responsible.
3. Why does the new soldier to Croft's platoon feel he does not fit in?
(a) He is new.
(b) He is college educated.
(c) He is Jewish.
(d) The others know he is a better soldier.
4. What do the troops take from the dead Japanese major?
(a) His guns.
(c) Maps of the island.
(d) A diary.
5. What is the relationship between Cummings and Hearn like?
6. During the first days of the troops being on the island, how have the Japanese resistance reacted?
(a) Full-force attacks.
(b) There has been no sign of the Japanese.
(c) Half-hearted attacks.
7. As Gallagher thinks about the past, why is he upset about the post office job?
(a) He was called to war before he could start work.
(b) A Jewish alderman's nephew got the job.
(c) He did not pass the employment test.
(d) He was fired from the job.
8. In Martinez's flashback in Part 2, Chapter 2, what did he dream of becoming?
9. Hearn has a number of undesirable characteristics. What is one of them mentioned in Part 2, Chapter 3?
(a) He has poor hygiene.
(b) He is conceited.
(c) He likes to sees others humiliated.
(d) He complains about everything.
10. What seems to be happening to Cumming's control in Part 2, Chapter 11?
(a) He is becoming doubtful.
(b) It is increasing.
(c) He wants to transfer control to someone else.
(d) It is breaking down.
11. What is Red's strategy for dealing with his current situation of being at war?
(a) Think positively.
(b) Seek guidance from a superior.
(c) Rely on the support of the platoon.
(d) Take it one day at a time.
12. During Red's flashback the reader learns that Red began work at an early age. What type of work did Red do from age 13 to 18?
(d) Factory work.
13. What is Wilson's reason for not telling the woman in Kansas about his wife?
(a) He does not want to commit.
(b) She may know his wife.
(c) He does not really want to be with her.
(d) He does not want to get divorced.
14. What profession does the reader learn Hearn wanted to enter into after graduation?
(b) The family business.
15. Leach offers a number of excuses why he can not take a picture of Dalleson. Which of the following is not one of his excuses?
(a) The shutter speed is not fast enough.
(b) He has little film.
(c) The lens angle is not right.
(d) The lighting is off.
Short Answer Questions
1. When fresh food arrives, how does Cummings divided it between the 180 soldiers and 38 officers?
2. How many times did Wilson say he has had venereal disease?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 9, what bad news does Gallagher receive?
4. During Part 1, Chapter 1, what does Wilson daydream of doing on the island?
5. During Gallagher's flashback, what organization does the reader learn he joined as a teenager?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)