|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the troops take from the dead Japanese major?
(a) His guns.
(c) Maps of the island.
(d) A diary.
2. How many letters does the dead soldier Hennessey receive?
3. While some of the men are on the beach preparing their sleeping areas and fox holes, what does Stanley do to irritate Ridges?
(a) Jokes Ridges about losing the poker game last night.
(b) Kicks sand back in the hole Ridges is digging.
(c) Teases Ridges about being afraid of war.
(d) Gives Ridges the grunt work.
4. As Part 1, Chapter 2 opens, the men are getting ready to advance on the island. What solider does Croft feel will be killed upon landing on Anopopei?
5. What natural landmark is on the island?
(b) Mountain range
6. What ulterior motive does Cummings have for his relationship with Hearn?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 10, who does Gallagher realize is the only person who understands him?
(b) His mother.
(c) His wife.
8. Hearn has a number of undesirable characteristics. What is one of them mentioned in Part 2, Chapter 3?
(a) He complains about everything.
(b) He is conceited.
(c) He likes to sees others humiliated.
(d) He has poor hygiene.
9. Wilson had a flashback to his life before the war. During this flashback the reader learns the Wilson admires his father for what reason?
(a) He is an honorable man.
(b) He loves his wife.
(c) He is a sucessful businessman.
(d) The amount of liquor he can drink.
10. The men were taking a break and relaxing on the beach, as the men are talking, Croft becomes angry and fires a shot into the woods, what happens next that creates fear and panic?
(a) A storm.
(b) Fighting among the men.
(c) Japanese open fire.
(d) An air strike.
11. Who does Stanley begin to lose respect for after his promotion?
12. During Part 1, Chapter 1, what does Wilson daydream of doing on the island?
(c) Manufacturing liquor.
(d) Selling fruit.
13. Who is the only man to feel sorry about Hennessey's death?
14. Goldstein thinks about opening a business with his wife. What type of business does he want to open?
15. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 7, who throws the grenade at the Japanese soldiers?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Brown's feelings about women affect Stanley?
2. What is Cummings motive behind assigning Hearn tasks such as bringing him fresh flowers and taking liquor to the officer's mess tent?
3. By Part 2, Chapter 2, why has Croft become frustrated on the island?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 2, what does Croft think about himself?
5. How do the soldiers feel about the conditions of the island?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)