|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When fresh food arrives, how does Cummings divided it between the 180 soldiers and 38 officers?
(a) Three quarters for the soldiers and one quarter for the officers.
(b) Half for the soldiers and half for the officers.
(c) Officers eat first then the soldiers have the leftovers.
(d) First come, first serve.
2. In Part 2, Chapter 9, what bad news does Gallagher receive?
(a) His wife has died.
(b) His child has died.
(c) His parents have died.
(d) His brother has died.
3. In Part 2, Chapter 7, who finds the illicit whiskey?
4. What does Stanley hope to gain by befriending Brown?
(b) A job.
(d) Extra time off.
5. What does Hearn request of Cummings in Part 2, Chapter 11?
(b) Permission to have some liquor.
(c) A chance to fight.
(d) A transfer.
6. What is the tone of Part 1, Chapter 1?
7. Who does Stanley begin to lose respect for after his promotion?
8. In the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 1, some of the men are playing poker. Which card player wins 100 Australian pounds?
9. How does Wilson control his wife?
(a) By taking her money away.
(b) By hitting her.
(c) By threatening her.
(d) By working things out with her.
10. After Minetta is injured and taken to the hospital, what does he do to delay going back to combat?
(a) Fakes being mentally ill.
(b) Sneaks out of the hospital.
(c) Claims he is ill.
(d) Gets into a fight hoping he will be court martialed.
11. As Gallagher thinks about the past, why is he upset about the post office job?
(a) He was called to war before he could start work.
(b) He did not pass the employment test.
(c) A Jewish alderman's nephew got the job.
(d) He was fired from the job.
12. During the first days of the troops being on the island, how have the Japanese resistance reacted?
(a) There has been no sign of the Japanese.
(c) Half-hearted attacks.
(d) Full-force attacks.
13. Leach offers a number of excuses why he can not take a picture of Dalleson. Which of the following is not one of his excuses?
(a) The lens angle is not right.
(b) The shutter speed is not fast enough.
(c) He has little film.
(d) The lighting is off.
14. In Part 2, Chapter 1, the men are now on the island, who is the commanding officer on the island?
15. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 3, what is Conn complaining about in the officer's mess hall?
(a) The Japanese.
(c) Labor unions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What events led to Croft joining the Army?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 5, as Roth thinks about his wife, what can the reader guess about her feelings toward him?
3. What is Cummings motive behind assigning Hearn tasks such as bringing him fresh flowers and taking liquor to the officer's mess tent?
4. How many letters does the dead soldier Hennessey receive?
5. What is Cummings reasoning for treating the soldiers unfairly?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)