|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the book opens, which solider is not taking the card game seriously and offers to give back some of his winnings?
2. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 3, what is Conn complaining about in the officer's mess hall?
(b) The Japanese.
(c) Labor unions.
3. As Part 1, Chapter 2 opens, the men are getting ready to advance on the island. What solider does Croft feel will be killed upon landing on Anopopei?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 1, the men are now on the island, who is the commanding officer on the island?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 9, how is the life of these soldiers described?
(c) Hanging in the balance.
6. During Gallagher's flashback, what organization does the reader learn he joined as a teenager?
(a) Jehovah Witness.
(b) The Young Republicans.
(c) The Communist Party.
(d) Christians United.
7. What is the name of the island this platoon invaded before reaching Anopopei?
8. Where do the men gather to keep dry during the storm?
(a) Between the trucks.
(b) Under trees.
(c) In the mess hall.
(d) In their tents.
9. How many times did Wilson say he has had venereal disease?
10. How big is the island?
(a) 50 miles long and 150 miles wide.
(b) 100 miles long and 50 miles wide.
(c) 150 miles long and 50 miles wide.
(d) 50 miles long and 100 miles wide.
11. By Part 2, Chapter 2, why has Croft become frustrated on the island?
(a) He feels his platoon needs more men.
(b) He feels his platoon is only on labor duties.
(c) He feels his platoon does not have enough dry clothes.
(d) He feels his platoon is fighting too much.
12. Who is Major Dalleson's assistant?
13. What is the tone of Part 1, Chapter 1?
14. What seems to be happening to Cumming's control in Part 2, Chapter 11?
(a) He wants to transfer control to someone else.
(b) He is becoming doubtful.
(c) It is increasing.
(d) It is breaking down.
15. What natural landmark is on the island?
(a) Mountain range
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 3, which character is upset that the officers have a higher standard of living than the soldiers?
2. While some of the men are on the beach preparing their sleeping areas and fox holes, what does Stanley do to irritate Ridges?
3. What is the General's worst fear about the island?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 8, what are Conn's true feelings about Wakara?
5. There is some question of who let the gun go as the men were pushing it through the Jungle. Who does Croft suspect is responsible?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)