|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the troops take from the dead Japanese major?
(a) A diary.
(c) His guns.
(d) Maps of the island.
2. What is the General's worst fear about the island?
(a) The openness of the beach.
(b) Lack of food.
(c) The jungle.
(d) Bad weather.
3. Wilson tells the men he has another woman in Kansas. What is his reason for liking her more than his own wife?
(a) She is better in bed.
(b) She keeps the house clean.
(c) She is a better cook.
(d) She is wealthy.
4. Leach offers a number of excuses why he can not take a picture of Dalleson. Which of the following is not one of his excuses?
(a) The lens angle is not right.
(b) He has little film.
(c) The shutter speed is not fast enough.
(d) The lighting is off.
5. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 5, what is Roth dreaming of when Minetta woke him up?
(d) His wife.
6. Hearn has a flashback about his childhood. How is his mother described during this flashback?
(b) An angel.
7. During the first days of the troops being on the island, how have the Japanese resistance reacted?
(a) Half-hearted attacks.
(b) There has been no sign of the Japanese.
(c) Full-force attacks.
8. Why does Martinez refuse to be in charge of other men?
(a) He feels he does not have the training to lead others.
(b) He thinks it will be too much pressure.
(c) He thinks they will not listen to him because he is Mexican.
(d) He is afraid of the responsibility.
9. In the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 1, some of the men are playing poker. Which card player wins 100 Australian pounds?
10. In what body of water is the island of Anopopei located?
(a) Pacific Ocean.
(b) East China Sea.
(c) Philippine Sea.
(d) Sea of Japan.
11. Where do the men gather to keep dry during the storm?
(a) Between the trucks.
(b) In their tents.
(c) Under trees.
(d) In the mess hall.
12. In Part 2, Chapter 1, the men are now on the island, who is the commanding officer on the island?
13. In Martinez's flashback in Part 2, Chapter 2, what did he dream of becoming?
14. What is Wilson's reason for not telling the woman in Kansas about his wife?
(a) He does not want to commit.
(b) She may know his wife.
(c) He does not want to get divorced.
(d) He does not really want to be with her.
15. During a discussion between Brown and Stanley, what does Brown say he will do to his wife if she is cheating on him?
(a) Divorce her.
(b) Beat her up.
(c) Forgive her.
(d) Kill her.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 3, which character is upset that the officers have a higher standard of living than the soldiers?
2. Croft has a flashback and the reader learns that he joined a different branch of the military before joining the Army. What was the first branch Croft joined?
3. What is the relationship between Cummings and Hearn like?
4. Why does the new soldier to Croft's platoon feel he does not fit in?
5. What seems to be happening to Cumming's control in Part 2, Chapter 11?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)