Part 1, Chapter 1
* The American troopship is located off the coast of Anopopei.
* As the platoon awaits the coming day, we learn about the various personalities of these characters.
* A group of men play cards and reveal their personality.
* It becomes clear that many of the men are afraid of the next day.
Part 1, Chapter 2
* The men arrive on the island of Anopopei.
* Tension is in the air as the men wait for the fighting to begin.
* Foxholes are dug and Japanese mortar attacks begin.
* Frightened and worried about soiling his pants, Hennessey runs out of the foxhole.
* Hennessey is killed by a mortar sell.
* Croft feels omnipotent because he is still alive.
Part 2, Chapter 1
* The reader learns that Major General Cummings is the commanding officer for the island.
* The island is described as being shaped like an ocarina and is 150 miles long and 50 miles wide.
* This is little...
This section contains 1,736 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)