Part 1, Chapter 1
• The American troopship is located off the coast of Anopopei.
• As the platoon awaits the coming day, we learn about the various personalities of these characters.
• A group of men play cards and reveal their personality.
• It becomes clear that many of the men are afraid of the next day.
Part 1, Chapter 2
• The men arrive on the island of Anopopei.
• Tension is in the air as the men wait for the fighting to begin.
• Foxholes are dug and Japanese mortar attacks begin.
• Frightened and worried about soiling his pants, Hennessey runs out of the foxhole.
• Hennessey is killed by a mortar sell.
• Croft feels omnipotent because he is still alive.
Part 2, Chapter 1
• The reader learns that Major General Cummings is the commanding officer for the island.
• The island is described as being shaped like an ocarina and is 150 miles long and 50 miles wide.
• This is little...
This section contains 1,983 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)