|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the story of Erra and Ishum, what will happen if Marduk leaves his palace?
2. To whom does the blessing of the bow refer in The Epic of Creation?
3. Why does the snake attack the eagle and leave it for dead in a pit?
4. During the Festival of the New Year, why was the Epic of Creation performed or recited?
5. Why do Adad, Gerra, and Shara refuse to attack Anzu?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the eagle help Etana on his quest to help his wife conceive?
2. What leads to Marduk accepting the challenge to face Tiamat?
3. Before receiving instructions from Ea, how does the battle between Ninurta and Anzu initially go?
4. How is Marduk rewarded for his victory over Tiamat?
5. In the story of Etana, what is the arrangement made before Shamash between the eagle and the snake?
6. How does Marduk defeat Tiamat?
7. Describe the lineage of the gods as depicted in the Epic of Creation.
8. How does Ninurta ultimately defeat Anzu?
9. What leads to Ea slaying both Apsu and Mummu?
10. What is the fate of the Sea and the Cattle God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the similarities between the Mesopotamian and Biblical flood myths in the following format:
Part 1) The over-indulgence and destruction of mankind.
Part 2) The similarities and differences of Noah and Atrahasis.
Part 3) The relationship between mankind and their god or gods.
Part 4) The final flood.
Part 5) The reconstruction of Earth and mankind.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of respect in the stories of Mesopotamia in the following format:
Part 1) Nergal, Namtar, and Ereshkigal.
Part 2) Apsu and the younger gods.
Part 3) Marduk.
Part 4) Erra and Ishum.
Part 5) Adapa and the South Wind.
Using these stories, create a thesis to describe the importance of respect in Mesopotamian culture and why the stories make that clear.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of women within Mesopotamian culture as depicted within these myths in the following format:
Part 1) Shamhat.
Part 2) The story of Atrahasis to explain childbearing.
Part 3) Ishtar's relationships to men.
Part 4) Ereshkigal as both queen and loner.
Part 5) Belet-ili and her contributions to both deities and mankind.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)