|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who creates an army of vicious, terrible warriors in the Epic of Creation?
2. How many gods and goddesses comprise the assembly of the gods after Tiamat's death?
3. What is the result of Ninurta killing Anzu?
4. With whom does the Earth create a union in the Theology of Dunnu?
5. To whom does Nudimmud give birth in the Epic of Creation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hayyashum contribute to the making of the world in the Theology of Dunnu?
2. What are the differences between the standard and Old Babylonian versions of the story of Anzu?
3. What leads to Ea slaying both Apsu and Mummu?
4. Describe the lineage of the gods as depicted in the Epic of Creation.
5. In the story of Etana, what is the arrangement made before Shamash between the eagle and the snake?
6. How is Adapa tricked out of becoming immortal?
7. What does Mother Hubur create for Tiamat and why?
8. What leads to Anzu stealing the Tablet of Destinies?
9. How does Ishum end Erra's devastation of the world?
10. After Erra ceases his destruction against mankind and the gods, how does Ishum help repair the damage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How and why is flying a predominant theme in Mesopotamian myths? Develop a clear thesis statement and write an essay, including (but not exclusively) the following topics:
1) Etana and the eagle.
3) Marduk's use of the winds.
4) Tiamat's army.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
It is common throughout Mesopotamian myths that several of deities are given what could be considered monstrous appearances. What is the purpose of this? How does Marduk, given his description of being "perfect" fit into this theme? How are the Sebitti depicted? In what ways is Tiamat a culmination of the monstrous characteristics of the gods? How does this reflect upon Mesopotamian culture and their relationship to their religion? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What role does sex play in both Mesopotamian myths and culture? How do the gods react towards sex? How does mankind? In what stories is sex an important topic? How is the deity in charge of sexuality portrayed? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)