|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Old Babylonian version of the theft of the Tablet of Destiny, what is Anzu's name?
2. What does the different reigns of each part of Earth represent?
3. What is the name of Etana's son?
4. What does Erra want from mankind?
5. Who marries Pasture and Poplar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads to Marduk accepting the challenge to face Tiamat?
2. After Erra ceases his destruction against mankind and the gods, how does Ishum help repair the damage?
3. What is the fate of the Sea and the Cattle God?
4. How does Mami (or Belet-ili) explain to her son why he should go to battle against Anzu?
5. Of what is the Theology of Dunnu symbolic?
6. How is Adapa tricked out of becoming immortal?
7. How does Marduk defeat Tiamat?
8. What role does The Flocks God play in the creation of the world in the Theology of Dunnu?
9. Who does Anu initially choose to battle Anzu and why do the warriors refuse?
10. Who is Haharnum?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why are some of these stories incomplete? What happened to the tablets over the centuries? What is the significance of the tablets being partially destroyed? How does that alter some of the stories? What is still unknown about some of the stories? What other important information is lost with the destruction of some of the tablets? How can the gaps in narration be filled in by studying the myths of other cultures?
Essay Topic 2
What role does love play in The Epic of Gilgamesh? Create a thesis based around the idea that love is the driving force in this particular myth. Points to consider, but not exclusively, include Enkidu and Gilgamesh's relationship, as well as Enkidu's adoption by Gilgamesh's mother.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of deception in the Mesopotamian myths, including (but not exclusively) the following topics:
1) Enki saving Atrahasis from the flood.
2) Nergal and Ereshkigal.
3) The deception of Adapa.
4) Erra tricking Marduk out of his palace.
Develop a clear thesis statement and apply it to the above topics.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)