|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the story of Erra and Ishum, what will happen if Marduk leaves his palace?
2. With whom does the Earth create a union in the Theology of Dunnu?
3. What name does Marduk give to the area in front of Esharra?
4. How does Marduk entrap Tiamat?
5. Who does Hayyashum marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the fate of the Sea and the Cattle God?
2. What is the station and functions of Adapa?
3. What is the given reason and the true reason for the Sebitti's desire to go to war?
4. What leads to Ea slaying both Apsu and Mummu?
5. How is Marduk rewarded for his victory over Tiamat?
6. How does Mami (or Belet-ili) explain to her son why he should go to battle against Anzu?
7. What are the differences between the standard and Old Babylonian versions of the story of Anzu?
8. Why does Adapa curse the South Wind and what are the consequences?
9. In the story of Etana, what is the arrangement made before Shamash between the eagle and the snake?
10. Why is the eagle left to die in the pit in Etana's story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of women within Mesopotamian culture as depicted within these myths in the following format:
Part 1) Shamhat.
Part 2) The story of Atrahasis to explain childbearing.
Part 3) Ishtar's relationships to men.
Part 4) Ereshkigal as both queen and loner.
Part 5) Belet-ili and her contributions to both deities and mankind.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of respect in the stories of Mesopotamia in the following format:
Part 1) Nergal, Namtar, and Ereshkigal.
Part 2) Apsu and the younger gods.
Part 3) Marduk.
Part 4) Erra and Ishum.
Part 5) Adapa and the South Wind.
Using these stories, create a thesis to describe the importance of respect in Mesopotamian culture and why the stories make that clear.
Essay Topic 3
What role does sex play in both Mesopotamian myths and culture? How do the gods react towards sex? How does mankind? In what stories is sex an important topic? How is the deity in charge of sexuality portrayed? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)