|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is Ishtar the goddess?
2. What ritual takes place during Dumuzi's time in Kurnugi?
3. Who do the myths revolve around?
4. In the Armana version, what does Nergal do to Namtar when he reaches the final door to the Underworld?
5. On their journey to the Pine Forest, what plagues Gilgamesh?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Atrahasis initially save the world from ruin before the flood?
2. Describe the lineage of the gods as depicted in the Epic of Creation.
3. After Erra ceases his destruction against mankind and the gods, how does Ishum help repair the damage?
4. Why are several of the myths in this book fragmented or missing whole sections?
5. How does Ishum end Erra's devastation of the world?
6. How does Marduk defeat Tiamat?
7. Describe the purpose and function of some of the many different features of this book.
8. Why does Erra wage a battle against the world?
9. How does Enkidu escape from the Underworld on an alternate tablet?
10. Why does Belet-ili bring Enkidu to life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How and why is flying a predominant theme in Mesopotamian myths? Develop a clear thesis statement and write an essay, including (but not exclusively) the following topics:
1) Etana and the eagle.
3) Marduk's use of the winds.
4) Tiamat's army.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the Bible's connections to Enkidu from The Epic of Gilgamesh in the following format:
Part 1) Enkidu and Gilgamesh in comparison to Adam and Eve.
Part 2) Enkidu and Shamhat as Adam, Eve, and the Serpent.
Part 3) Enkidu as a martyr.
Part 4) Enkidu's resurrection.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the Tablet of Destinies? What powers does it hold? Why do the gods hold it in such esteem? How did it come to be and how does that relate to Ninurta's recovery of the Tablet? How does Anzu having possession of the Tablet reveal the heroism of some of the gods? How does the Tablet of Destinies relate to Mesopotamian religious beliefs?
This section contains 2,070 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)