|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On their journey to the Pine Forest, what plagues Gilgamesh?
2. After Gilgamesh passes through the mountains, what creatures does Gilgamesh mistakenly kill?
3. Who is Namtar?
4. How does Ellil first punish mankind in the story of Atrahasis?
5. Why is the author not entirely certain that Atrahasis sent an offering of peace to the gods to stop the flooding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the purpose and function of some of the many different features of this book.
2. Why does all sexual activity on Earth stop while Ishtar is in Kurnugi?
3. Describe Ishtar's journey to see her sister, Ereshkigal, in the Underworld.
4. In the Armana version of the story of Nergal and Ereshkigal, what happens when Nergal goes to the Underworld?
5. What is significant about Ninsun adopting Enkidu as her own son?
6. After giving up on disease, how does Ellil try to keep the world from becoming overpopulated?
7. What function does the man, Good-Looks, serve in this story?
8. What reasons are given for the Mesopotamian myths becoming the basis of stories for several other cultures?
9. Describe Gilgamesh's journey to see Ut-napishtim (or Atrahasis)?
10. What are some ways that Ellil punished mankind before the flood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does Tiamat play as a primeval goddess? What is significant about her status as a being of chaos? What theological implications can be found when considering that Marduk used Tiamat's remains to create the world? How does her monstrous army encourage her chaotic reign? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What role does love play in The Epic of Gilgamesh? Create a thesis based around the idea that love is the driving force in this particular myth. Points to consider, but not exclusively, include Enkidu and Gilgamesh's relationship, as well as Enkidu's adoption by Gilgamesh's mother.
Essay Topic 3
Why is the Theology of Dunnu important? How does it reflect upon the diversity of Mesopotamia? Why is this important to know about today? In what ways does the Theology of Dunnu explain the world? How does it differ from the Epic of Creation? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)