|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Atrahasis to build a boat in anticipation of Ellil flooding the world?
2. What do Anu and Ellil agree to do for the other gods?
3. For what errand does Ea create the man called Good-Looks?
4. In the Armana version, what does Nergal do to Namtar when he reaches the final door to the Underworld?
5. What god is sacrificed in order to create man?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Erra trick Marduk into leaving his palace?
2. For what reasons does Enkidu die?
3. What leads to Marduk accepting the challenge to face Tiamat?
4. Before receiving instructions from Ea, how does the battle between Ninurta and Anzu initially go?
5. What are the differences between the standard and Old Babylonian versions of the story of Anzu?
6. Who does Anu initially choose to battle Anzu and why do the warriors refuse?
7. What does Mother Hubur create for Tiamat and why?
8. Why does all sexual activity on Earth stop while Ishtar is in Kurnugi?
9. How does Atrahasis initially save the world from ruin before the flood?
10. Describe Ishtar's journey to see her sister, Ereshkigal, in the Underworld.
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Ishtar and Ereshkigal. How are they different? How are they the same? What constitutes their relationship? What is significant about their respective roles in life and how they are treated throughout the myths presented in this novel? In particular, be sure to focus on Ishtar's behavior around other gods and humans and Ereshkigal's isolation in the Underworld. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the Tablet of Destinies? What powers does it hold? Why do the gods hold it in such esteem? How did it come to be and how does that relate to Ninurta's recovery of the Tablet? How does Anzu having possession of the Tablet reveal the heroism of some of the gods? How does the Tablet of Destinies relate to Mesopotamian religious beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
What role does sex play in both Mesopotamian myths and culture? How do the gods react towards sex? How does mankind? In what stories is sex an important topic? How is the deity in charge of sexuality portrayed? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 2,251 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)