|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Amarna version of Nergal and Ereshkigal's story, what does Ea send to the Underworld with Nergal?
2. In terms of population control, what do the gods agree to do with women?
3. When Nergal escapes from the Underworld, what do the gods demand be done to him?
4. How does Ereshkigal avenge herself upon Ishtar?
5. What does Belili offer in order to help her brother, Dumuzi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ishtar's journey to see her sister, Ereshkigal, in the Underworld.
2. What remedies are offered after the flood to help control the population of the world?
3. What must Namtar avoid doing while in the Underworld serving out his punishment?
4. What is the fate of the Sea and the Cattle God?
5. Why does Adapa curse the South Wind and what are the consequences?
6. How does Atrahasis initially save the world from ruin before the flood?
7. How does Marduk defeat Tiamat?
8. What does Mother Hubur create for Tiamat and why?
9. Why does all sexual activity on Earth stop while Ishtar is in Kurnugi?
10. Why are several of the myths in this book fragmented or missing whole sections?
Essay Topic 1
Why is the Theology of Dunnu important? How does it reflect upon the diversity of Mesopotamia? Why is this important to know about today? In what ways does the Theology of Dunnu explain the world? How does it differ from the Epic of Creation? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
It is common throughout Mesopotamian myths that several of deities are given what could be considered monstrous appearances. What is the purpose of this? How does Marduk, given his description of being "perfect" fit into this theme? How are the Sebitti depicted? In what ways is Tiamat a culmination of the monstrous characteristics of the gods? How does this reflect upon Mesopotamian culture and their relationship to their religion? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of women within Mesopotamian culture as depicted within these myths in the following format:
Part 1) Shamhat.
Part 2) The story of Atrahasis to explain childbearing.
Part 3) Ishtar's relationships to men.
Part 4) Ereshkigal as both queen and loner.
Part 5) Belet-ili and her contributions to both deities and mankind.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 2,202 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)