|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much of Gilgamesh is considered to be the mortal part?
2. How does Shamash help Gilgamesh in his battle against Humbaba?
3. In what color is Dumuzi clad when he descends to Kurnugi?
4. What do Anu and Ellil agree to do for the other gods?
5. What unique feature does this book use to help the reader understand these stories?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does Ereshkigal give for her anguish over losing Nergal?
2. How does Shamhat force Enkidu to meet Gilgamesh?
3. How does Ishtar gain entrance into the Underworld?
4. After giving up on disease, how does Ellil try to keep the world from becoming overpopulated?
5. In the Armana version of the story of Nergal and Ereshkigal, what happens when Nergal goes to the Underworld?
6. Where is the approximate location of Mesopotamia in the modern world?
7. Describe Ishtar's journey to see her sister, Ereshkigal, in the Underworld.
8. Describe Gilgamesh's journey to see Ut-napishtim (or Atrahasis)?
9. What function does the man, Good-Looks, serve in this story?
10. What must Namtar avoid doing while in the Underworld serving out his punishment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of women within Mesopotamian culture as depicted within these myths in the following format:
Part 1) Shamhat.
Part 2) The story of Atrahasis to explain childbearing.
Part 3) Ishtar's relationships to men.
Part 4) Ereshkigal as both queen and loner.
Part 5) Belet-ili and her contributions to both deities and mankind.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences in the separate versions of Nergal and Ereshkigal's myth. How does Nergal and Ereshkigal's character development change? What is significant about the Old Babylonian version being progressively more violent and less sympathetic towards Ereshkigal? How does Ea's involvement change in each story? Develop a clear thesis on this topic and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What role does love play in The Epic of Gilgamesh? Create a thesis based around the idea that love is the driving force in this particular myth. Points to consider, but not exclusively, include Enkidu and Gilgamesh's relationship, as well as Enkidu's adoption by Gilgamesh's mother.
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)