|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What god is sacrificed in order to create man?
2. Why is Nergal sent to the Underworld?
3. Why is the author not entirely certain that Atrahasis sent an offering of peace to the gods to stop the flooding?
4. What goddess is said to have been the mother of Gilgamesh?
5. What tool, in this book, explains how these myths came about?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reasons does Enkidu die?
2. In the Mesopotamian myths discussed in this book, what early beliefs are depicted?
3. How does Enkidu escape from the Underworld on an alternate tablet?
4. What is Nergal's offense against Namtar and his penance?
5. Why are several of the myths in this book fragmented or missing whole sections?
6. What is significant about Ninsun adopting Enkidu as her own son?
7. Describe the purpose and function of some of the many different features of this book.
8. After giving up on disease, how does Ellil try to keep the world from becoming overpopulated?
9. What arrangement is made for Ishtar's release from the Underworld?
10. Where is the approximate location of Mesopotamia in the modern world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does sex play in both Mesopotamian myths and culture? How do the gods react towards sex? How does mankind? In what stories is sex an important topic? How is the deity in charge of sexuality portrayed? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Apsu, Ea, and Marduk. All three of these held positions of power among the gods. What are their differences? What are their similarities? What roles do they plan in the Mesopotamian myths? Which of the gods is the more effective leader? How are all three of these gods related? In what way does Apsu's actions lead to Marduk's appointment as king of the gods? How does Tiamat figure into the hierarchy of the gods? What is significant about Erra's methods of taking over in his story?
Essay Topic 3
How and why is flying a predominant theme in Mesopotamian myths? Develop a clear thesis statement and write an essay, including (but not exclusively) the following topics:
1) Etana and the eagle.
3) Marduk's use of the winds.
4) Tiamat's army.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)