|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Anu and Ellil agree to do for the other gods?
2. In terms of population control, what do the gods agree to do with women?
3. How much of Gilgamesh is considered to be the mortal part?
4. What is Kurnugi?
5. What is the station of the god or goddess who creates man?
Short Essay Questions
1. After giving up on disease, how does Ellil try to keep the world from becoming overpopulated?
2. Why are several of the myths in this book fragmented or missing whole sections?
3. Describe the purpose and function of some of the many different features of this book.
4. According to the author, why is it important that people understand the origins of several well-known stories as well as knowing more about the time period from which these stories were born?
5. Why is Namtar sent above ground to the feast in the story of Nergal and Ereshkigal?
6. Why does Belet-ili bring Enkidu to life?
7. What function does the man, Good-Looks, serve in this story?
8. What is significant about Ninsun adopting Enkidu as her own son?
9. Why does all sexual activity on Earth stop while Ishtar is in Kurnugi?
10. How does Ishtar gain entrance into the Underworld?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How and why is flying a predominant theme in Mesopotamian myths? Develop a clear thesis statement and write an essay, including (but not exclusively) the following topics:
1) Etana and the eagle.
3) Marduk's use of the winds.
4) Tiamat's army.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the Tablet of Destinies? What powers does it hold? Why do the gods hold it in such esteem? How did it come to be and how does that relate to Ninurta's recovery of the Tablet? How does Anzu having possession of the Tablet reveal the heroism of some of the gods? How does the Tablet of Destinies relate to Mesopotamian religious beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
What role does sex play in both Mesopotamian myths and culture? How do the gods react towards sex? How does mankind? In what stories is sex an important topic? How is the deity in charge of sexuality portrayed? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)