|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what condition does Ereshkigal allow Ishtar entrance to Kurnugi?
2. What tool is used within the introductions to help the reader understand the time line of these stories?
3. Why is Nergal sent to the Underworld?
4. How does Ut-napishtium prove to Gilgamesh how many days the latter man slept?
5. On their journey to the Pine Forest, what plagues Gilgamesh?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Namtar sent above ground to the feast in the story of Nergal and Ereshkigal?
2. For what reasons does Enkidu die?
3. How does mankind react to the drought and famine before the ultimate appearance of the flood?
4. What remedies are offered after the flood to help control the population of the world?
5. According to the story of Atrahasis, how and why was man created?
6. Why does Belet-ili bring Enkidu to life?
7. Describe the purpose and function of some of the many different features of this book.
8. After giving up on disease, how does Ellil try to keep the world from becoming overpopulated?
9. How do the fates of Dumuzi and Belili explain the seasons and rituals of Mesopotamia?
10. Where is the approximate location of Mesopotamia in the modern world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story of Etana, the eagle betrays the snake by eating its young, leading to the eagle's violent punishment. Discuss the roles of the eagle and the snake. What are some of the natural connotations, literary and otherwise, dredged up when thinking of snakes? What about eagles? How does this role reversal shift the reader's preconceptions of these animals? How does this speak to the diversity of Mesopotamia? What are the underlying themes of the eagle and the snake's story?
Essay Topic 2
How and why is flying a predominant theme in Mesopotamian myths? Develop a clear thesis statement and write an essay, including (but not exclusively) the following topics:
1) Etana and the eagle.
3) Marduk's use of the winds.
4) Tiamat's army.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the Bible's connections to Enkidu from The Epic of Gilgamesh in the following format:
Part 1) Enkidu and Gilgamesh in comparison to Adam and Eve.
Part 2) Enkidu and Shamhat as Adam, Eve, and the Serpent.
Part 3) Enkidu as a martyr.
Part 4) Enkidu's resurrection.
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)