|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ishtar being trapped in Kuranugi affect earth?
2. How long does Enki believe the flood will last?
3. What theory does the author suggest as the origin for the tale of Atrahasis?
4. What reason does the author give for noting similarities between these myths and other, well-known stories?
5. Who is Ereshkigal?
Short Essay Questions
1. After giving up on disease, how does Ellil try to keep the world from becoming overpopulated?
2. How do the fates of Dumuzi and Belili explain the seasons and rituals of Mesopotamia?
3. What must Namtar avoid doing while in the Underworld serving out his punishment?
4. Why does Belet-ili bring Enkidu to life?
5. After Erra ceases his destruction against mankind and the gods, how does Ishum help repair the damage?
6. How does Atrahasis initially save the world from ruin before the flood?
7. Why does Erra wage a battle against the world?
8. What role does The Flocks God play in the creation of the world in the Theology of Dunnu?
9. For what reasons does Enkidu die?
10. What is Nergal's offense against Namtar and his penance?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Ishtar and Ereshkigal. How are they different? How are they the same? What constitutes their relationship? What is significant about their respective roles in life and how they are treated throughout the myths presented in this novel? In particular, be sure to focus on Ishtar's behavior around other gods and humans and Ereshkigal's isolation in the Underworld. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Why is the Theology of Dunnu important? How does it reflect upon the diversity of Mesopotamia? Why is this important to know about today? In what ways does the Theology of Dunnu explain the world? How does it differ from the Epic of Creation? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What role does love play in The Epic of Gilgamesh? Create a thesis based around the idea that love is the driving force in this particular myth. Points to consider, but not exclusively, include Enkidu and Gilgamesh's relationship, as well as Enkidu's adoption by Gilgamesh's mother.
This section contains 2,168 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)