|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Amarna version of Nergal and Ereshkigal's story, what does Ea send to the Underworld with Nergal?
2. In terms of population control, what do the gods agree to do with women?
3. When Nergal escapes from the Underworld, what do the gods demand be done to him?
4. How does Ereshkigal avenge herself upon Ishtar?
5. What does Belili offer in order to help her brother, Dumuzi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ishtar's journey to see her sister, Ereshkigal, in the Underworld.
2. What remedies are offered after the flood to help control the population of the world?
3. What must Namtar avoid doing while in the Underworld serving out his punishment?
4. What is the fate of the Sea and the Cattle God?
5. Why does Adapa curse the South Wind and what are the consequences?
6. How does Atrahasis initially save the world from ruin before the flood?
7. How does Marduk defeat Tiamat?
8. What does Mother Hubur create for Tiamat and why?
9. Why does all sexual activity on Earth stop while Ishtar is in Kurnugi?
10. Why are several of the myths in this book fragmented or missing whole sections?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the similarities between the Mesopotamian and Biblical flood myths in the following format:
Part 1) The over-indulgence and destruction of mankind.
Part 2) The similarities and differences of Noah and Atrahasis.
Part 3) The relationship between mankind and their god or gods.
Part 4) The final flood.
Part 5) The reconstruction of Earth and mankind.
Essay Topic 2
Why is the Theology of Dunnu important? How does it reflect upon the diversity of Mesopotamia? Why is this important to know about today? In what ways does the Theology of Dunnu explain the world? How does it differ from the Epic of Creation? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
How and why is flying a predominant theme in Mesopotamian myths? Develop a clear thesis statement and write an essay, including (but not exclusively) the following topics:
1) Etana and the eagle.
3) Marduk's use of the winds.
4) Tiamat's army.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 2,202 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)