|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On their journey to the Pine Forest, what plagues Gilgamesh?
2. Of what is Ishtar the goddess?
3. What unique feature does this book use to help the reader understand these stories?
4. How does Ishtar being trapped in Kuranugi affect earth?
5. For what reason, in the story of Atrahasis, do the gods create man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about Ninsun adopting Enkidu as her own son?
2. Describe the purpose and function of some of the many different features of this book.
3. Why does Belet-ili bring Enkidu to life?
4. How does Atrahasis initially save the world from ruin before the flood?
5. After giving up on disease, how does Ellil try to keep the world from becoming overpopulated?
6. What must Namtar avoid doing while in the Underworld serving out his punishment?
7. What is Nergal's offense against Namtar and his penance?
8. How does Shamhat force Enkidu to meet Gilgamesh?
9. What remedies are offered after the flood to help control the population of the world?
10. What reasons does Ereshkigal give for her anguish over losing Nergal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Apsu, Ea, and Marduk. All three of these held positions of power among the gods. What are their differences? What are their similarities? What roles do they plan in the Mesopotamian myths? Which of the gods is the more effective leader? How are all three of these gods related? In what way does Apsu's actions lead to Marduk's appointment as king of the gods? How does Tiamat figure into the hierarchy of the gods? What is significant about Erra's methods of taking over in his story?
Essay Topic 2
What role does sex play in both Mesopotamian myths and culture? How do the gods react towards sex? How does mankind? In what stories is sex an important topic? How is the deity in charge of sexuality portrayed? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What role does love play in The Epic of Gilgamesh? Create a thesis based around the idea that love is the driving force in this particular myth. Points to consider, but not exclusively, include Enkidu and Gilgamesh's relationship, as well as Enkidu's adoption by Gilgamesh's mother.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)