|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what condition does Ereshkigal allow Ishtar entrance to Kurnugi?
2. How many figures are contained within this book?
3. In the final tablet of the Epic of Gilgamesh, what does Enkidu offer to retrieve for Gilgamesh?
4. How does Ereshkigal avenge herself upon Ishtar?
5. How does Ereshkigal keep Nergal from killing her in the Amarna version?
Short Essay Questions
1. What must Namtar avoid doing while in the Underworld serving out his punishment?
2. After giving up on disease, how does Ellil try to keep the world from becoming overpopulated?
3. What remedies are offered after the flood to help control the population of the world?
4. For what reasons does Enkidu die?
5. How does Atrahasis initially save the world from ruin before the flood?
6. How does Enkidu escape from the Underworld on an alternate tablet?
7. How does Ishtar gain entrance into the Underworld?
8. What arrangement is made for Ishtar's release from the Underworld?
9. What reasons does Ereshkigal give for her anguish over losing Nergal?
10. What function does the man, Good-Looks, serve in this story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is common throughout Mesopotamian myths that several of deities are given what could be considered monstrous appearances. What is the purpose of this? How does Marduk, given his description of being "perfect" fit into this theme? How are the Sebitti depicted? In what ways is Tiamat a culmination of the monstrous characteristics of the gods? How does this reflect upon Mesopotamian culture and their relationship to their religion? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What role does sex play in both Mesopotamian myths and culture? How do the gods react towards sex? How does mankind? In what stories is sex an important topic? How is the deity in charge of sexuality portrayed? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
How is power both a theme and the center of all conflicts in the story of Anzu? How does Anzu steal his power? How is Ninurta able to kill Anzu despite the latter possessing the Tablet of Destinies? How is Ninurta's decision to go to battle for the glory a way of wresting power for himself? How does this play out in his conflict with Anzu?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)