|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the station of the god or goddess who creates man?
2. Who is Namtar?
3. What facet of mankind annoys Ellil to the point where he nearly casts a plague upon them?
4. What gesture does Ninsun extend before Gilgamesh and Enkidu go to stop Humbaba?
5. After Gilgamesh passes through the mountains, what creatures does Gilgamesh mistakenly kill?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ishtar gain entrance into the Underworld?
2. Why does Belet-ili bring Enkidu to life?
3. How does Enkidu escape from the Underworld on an alternate tablet?
4. What is significant about Ninsun adopting Enkidu as her own son?
5. What function does the man, Good-Looks, serve in this story?
6. What are some ways that Ellil punished mankind before the flood?
7. What must Namtar avoid doing while in the Underworld serving out his punishment?
8. In the longer version of this story, what happens after Namtar fails to find Nergal outside of the Underworld?
9. Why does all sexual activity on Earth stop while Ishtar is in Kurnugi?
10. How does Shamhat force Enkidu to meet Gilgamesh?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of women within Mesopotamian culture as depicted within these myths in the following format:
Part 1) Shamhat.
Part 2) The story of Atrahasis to explain childbearing.
Part 3) Ishtar's relationships to men.
Part 4) Ereshkigal as both queen and loner.
Part 5) Belet-ili and her contributions to both deities and mankind.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
How are life and death intertwined in Mesopotamian culture? For what reasons, as depicted within the myths themselves, is there a fluidity between life and death? How does this reflect upon the beliefs of this culture? Using only the text, compose a strong thesis based on this idea. Cite examples from not only the myths but also the introductions and notes provided by the author.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the similarities between the Mesopotamian and Biblical flood myths in the following format:
Part 1) The over-indulgence and destruction of mankind.
Part 2) The similarities and differences of Noah and Atrahasis.
Part 3) The relationship between mankind and their god or gods.
Part 4) The final flood.
Part 5) The reconstruction of Earth and mankind.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)