|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Phoenician god might be based on the legend of Ereshkigal and Nergal?
2. In the Babylonian version of Gilgamesh's story, what incites the battle between Gilgamesh and Enkidu?
(a) Enkidu kills Gilgamesh's mistress.
(b) Enkidu did not bow to Gilgamesh.
(c) Gilgamesh attempts to kill Shamkat.
(d) Gilgamesh tries to seduce Shamkat.
3. Who is Ereshkigal?
(a) Goddess of the sun.
(b) Queen of the mountains.
(c) Queen of the Underworld.
(d) Goddess of the earth.
4. What unique feature does this book use to help the reader understand these stories?
(a) It relates these stories to other, well-known tales.
(b) It offers several original pictures from the time period.
(c) It is fully annotated so that further research is accessible.
(d) It offers a version of the stories in their original language.
5. What do the gods, at the end of Atrahasis's story, amend in every living human?
(a) Their soul.
(b) Free will.
(c) The ability to reason.
(d) Life span.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what color is Dumuzi clad when he descends to Kurnugi?
2. What reason does Ut-napishtium (or Atrahasis) give Gilgamesh for why only he is allowed to be immortal?
3. In the Amarna version of Nergal and Ereshkigal's story, what does Ea send to the Underworld with Nergal?
4. What is the station of the god or goddess who creates man?
5. How many gates must one pass through to reach Kurnugi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What arrangement is made for Ishtar's release from the Underworld?
2. How does Atrahasis initially save the world from ruin before the flood?
3. What are some ways that Ellil punished mankind before the flood?
4. For what reasons does Enkidu die?
5. According to the author, why is it important that people understand the origins of several well-known stories as well as knowing more about the time period from which these stories were born?
6. How does Shamhat force Enkidu to meet Gilgamesh?
7. Why are several of the myths in this book fragmented or missing whole sections?
8. In the longer version of this story, what happens after Namtar fails to find Nergal outside of the Underworld?
9. What function does the man, Good-Looks, serve in this story?
10. Why does all sexual activity on Earth stop while Ishtar is in Kurnugi?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)