|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ellil first punish mankind in the story of Atrahasis?
(a) He sends a flood.
(b) He unleashes the Sebitti.
(c) He orders a drought.
(d) He ignores their prayers for children.
2. What section of the book is the table of contents for the book's figures?
(a) The Abbreviations.
(b) The Sigla.
(c) The Prefaces.
(d) The List of Figures.
3. What ritual takes place during Dumuzi's time in Kurnugi?
(d) Ritual cleansing.
4. In the final tablet of the Epic of Gilgamesh, what does Enkidu offer to retrieve for Gilgamesh?
(a) A sword.
(b) A toy.
(c) A pomegranate seed.
5. How much of Gilgamesh is considered to be the mortal part?
(a) One third.
(b) One half.
(c) One fifth.
(d) One fourth.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Amarna version of Nergal and Ereshkigal's story, what does Ea send to the Underworld with Nergal?
2. In what color is Dumuzi clad when he descends to Kurnugi?
3. How long do Nergal and Ereshkigal make love?
4. What mercy does Ea grant to Gilgamesh in response to the man's prayers?
5. What is Kurnugi?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Enkidu escape from the Underworld on an alternate tablet?
2. What reasons does Ereshkigal give for her anguish over losing Nergal?
3. What arrangement is made for Ishtar's release from the Underworld?
4. In the Armana version of the story of Nergal and Ereshkigal, what happens when Nergal goes to the Underworld?
5. What is Nergal's offense against Namtar and his penance?
6. Why are several of the myths in this book fragmented or missing whole sections?
7. Why does all sexual activity on Earth stop while Ishtar is in Kurnugi?
8. According to the author, why is it important that people understand the origins of several well-known stories as well as knowing more about the time period from which these stories were born?
9. How does mankind react to the drought and famine before the ultimate appearance of the flood?
10. What reasons are given for the Mesopotamian myths becoming the basis of stories for several other cultures?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)