|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Nergal escapes from the Underworld, what do the gods demand be done to him?
(a) He is to be sent back.
(b) He is to be tortured for his defiance.
(c) He is to be disfigured.
(d) He is to be stripped of his powers.
2. What does Atrahasis bring onto his boat besides people?
(b) Rocks for the gods.
(c) The altar from Ellil's temple.
(d) The Sebitti.
3. What mercy does Ea grant to Gilgamesh in response to the man's prayers?
(a) He allows Gilgamesh to marry.
(b) He allows Gilgamesh to become immortal.
(c) He allows Enkidu to return from the underworld.
(d) He allows Enkidu to bid Gilgamesh a final farewell.
4. On what medium where these myths originally found?
5. For what reason, in the story of Atrahasis, do the gods create man?
(a) The gods were bored.
(b) The gods were lonely without anyone to lead.
(c) They were hoping to run an experiment.
(d) They are tired of doing all of the work on their own.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Enki believe the flood will last?
2. In the story of Ereshkigal, why does Kakka tell the queen of the Underworld to send a messenger up to the world?
3. On what condition does Ereshkigal allow Ishtar entrance to Kurnugi?
4. What reason is given for the myths of this book being the basis of stories for other cultures?
5. What goddess is said to have been the mother of Gilgamesh?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reasons does Enkidu die?
2. In the longer version of this story, what happens after Namtar fails to find Nergal outside of the Underworld?
3. Describe the purpose and function of some of the many different features of this book.
4. Why does all sexual activity on Earth stop while Ishtar is in Kurnugi?
5. Why does Belet-ili bring Enkidu to life?
6. What is significant about Ninsun adopting Enkidu as her own son?
7. According to the story of Atrahasis, how and why was man created?
8. What arrangement is made for Ishtar's release from the Underworld?
9. How does Atrahasis initially save the world from ruin before the flood?
10. What reasons are given for the Mesopotamian myths becoming the basis of stories for several other cultures?
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)