|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ritual takes place during Dumuzi's time in Kurnugi?
(d) Ritual cleansing.
2. What Phoenician god might be based on the legend of Ereshkigal and Nergal?
3. What do Anu and Ellil agree to do for the other gods?
(a) Share their power.
(b) Lighten their workload.
(c) Allow them to switch vocations.
(d) Allow them to marry.
4. When sent from the Underworld, why is Namtar unable to locate Nergal?
(a) Namtar has been blinded.
(b) Namtar is sent to look for him in the wrong places.
(c) Nergal is dead.
(d) Nergal has been disguised.
5. What offer does Gilgamesh refuse from Ishtar?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the myths revolve around?
2. After the death of Enkidu, for what does a grieving Gilgamesh seek?
3. What unique feature does this book use to help the reader understand these stories?
4. What threat does Ishtar use when addressing the gatekeeper of the Underworld?
5. Who is Nergal's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ishtar gain entrance into the Underworld?
2. What are some ways that Ellil punished mankind before the flood?
3. Describe Ishtar's journey to see her sister, Ereshkigal, in the Underworld.
4. In the Armana version of the story of Nergal and Ereshkigal, what happens when Nergal goes to the Underworld?
5. According to the story of Atrahasis, how and why was man created?
6. What function does the man, Good-Looks, serve in this story?
7. How does Shamhat force Enkidu to meet Gilgamesh?
8. After giving up on disease, how does Ellil try to keep the world from becoming overpopulated?
9. Describe the purpose and function of some of the many different features of this book.
10. How does Enkidu escape from the Underworld on an alternate tablet?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)