|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What offer does Gilgamesh refuse from Ishtar?
2. What reason does the author give for noting similarities between these myths and other, well-known stories?
(a) It allows the reader to see the progression of gender relations through stories.
(b) It allows the reader to easier relate to the myths.
(c) It allows the reader to see the differences in the relationship between man and god.
(d) It allows the reader to see that the Mesopotamian myths came first.
3. In the Armana version, what does Nergal do to Namtar when he reaches the final door to the Underworld?
(a) Namtar is trapped in the forecourt.
(b) Namtar is trapped in an icy pond.
(c) Namtar is beheaded.
(d) Namtar is slapped in the face.
4. What ritual takes place during Dumuzi's time in Kurnugi?
(c) Ritual cleansing.
5. What Phoenician god might be based on the legend of Ereshkigal and Nergal?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Enki give Belet-ili?
2. Why does the author of this book believe it is necessary to understand where the stories of several different cultures originated?
3. On what medium where these myths originally found?
4. For what reason, in the story of Atrahasis, do the gods create man?
5. What biblical character is similar to Atrahasis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are several of the myths in this book fragmented or missing whole sections?
2. How do the fates of Dumuzi and Belili explain the seasons and rituals of Mesopotamia?
3. Describe Gilgamesh's journey to see Ut-napishtim (or Atrahasis)?
4. How does Atrahasis initially save the world from ruin before the flood?
5. What function does the man, Good-Looks, serve in this story?
6. Describe the purpose and function of some of the many different features of this book.
7. Why does all sexual activity on Earth stop while Ishtar is in Kurnugi?
8. Why is Namtar sent above ground to the feast in the story of Nergal and Ereshkigal?
9. According to the story of Atrahasis, how and why was man created?
10. What is significant about Ninsun adopting Enkidu as her own son?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)