|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Nergal escapes from the Underworld, what do the gods demand be done to him?
(a) He is to be disfigured.
(b) He is to be sent back.
(c) He is to be stripped of his powers.
(d) He is to be tortured for his defiance.
2. What does Enki give Belet-ili?
3. How does Ishtar being trapped in Kuranugi affect earth?
(a) All sexual activity is stopped.
(b) The seas turn red.
(c) The people begin to war against each other.
(d) The vegetation begins to die.
4. What reason is given for the myths of this book being the basis of stories for other cultures?
(a) Mesopotamia created one of the first traveling libraries.
(b) The people of Mesopotamia traveled the world.
(c) The people of Mesopotamia often sent scrolls to churches of other faiths.
(d) People of other countries frequently travelled through Mesopotamia.
5. After Gilgamesh passes through the mountains, what creatures does Gilgamesh mistakenly kill?
(a) The taklimtu.
(b) The Sebitti.
(c) The stone creatures.
(d) The Gorgons.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fill in the blank: The ancient civilization of these myths can be found between the Tigris and the _______.
2. How must Nergal atone for his offense towards Namtar?
3. What happens to the plant Gilgamesh took from the Apsu?
4. When Nergal returns to the Underworld on his own, what happens when he finds Ereshkigal?
5. What does Ea advise Nergal to refrain from while in the Underworld?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does mankind react to the drought and famine before the ultimate appearance of the flood?
2. In the Armana version of the story of Nergal and Ereshkigal, what happens when Nergal goes to the Underworld?
3. After giving up on disease, how does Ellil try to keep the world from becoming overpopulated?
4. What function does the man, Good-Looks, serve in this story?
5. In the Mesopotamian myths discussed in this book, what early beliefs are depicted?
6. How does Ishtar gain entrance into the Underworld?
7. According to the story of Atrahasis, how and why was man created?
8. What is significant about Ninsun adopting Enkidu as her own son?
9. What is Nergal's offense against Namtar and his penance?
10. Describe Gilgamesh's journey to see Ut-napishtim (or Atrahasis)?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)