|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what color is Dumuzi clad when he descends to Kurnugi?
2. What threat does Ishtar use when addressing the gatekeeper of the Underworld?
(a) She will make the dead rise to prey on the living.
(b) She will force Ereshkigal to leave her throne.
(c) She will not allow another soul to pass through the gates.
(d) She will kill Namtar.
3. Which goddess creates Enkidu in order to bring down Gilgamesh's arrogance?
4. In the story of Ereshkigal, why does Kakka tell the queen of the Underworld to send a messenger up to the world?
(a) They wish to assassinate the queen.
(b) They wish to to replace her messenger.
(c) They wish to send more help to the Underworld.
(d) They wish send some of their feast to her.
5. Who do the myths revolve around?
(a) The gods of Rome.
(b) The gods of China.
(c) The gods of Greece.
(d) The gods of Mesopotamia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What offer does Gilgamesh refuse from Ishtar?
2. What reason is given for the myths of this book being the basis of stories for other cultures?
3. Who is Namtar?
4. Why does the author of this book believe it is necessary to understand where the stories of several different cultures originated?
5. What reason does the author give for noting similarities between these myths and other, well-known stories?
Short Essay Questions
1. What arrangement is made for Ishtar's release from the Underworld?
2. Why does Belet-ili bring Enkidu to life?
3. What must Namtar avoid doing while in the Underworld serving out his punishment?
4. According to the story of Atrahasis, how and why was man created?
5. How does Enkidu escape from the Underworld on an alternate tablet?
6. What reasons are given for the Mesopotamian myths becoming the basis of stories for several other cultures?
7. How do the fates of Dumuzi and Belili explain the seasons and rituals of Mesopotamia?
8. In the Mesopotamian myths discussed in this book, what early beliefs are depicted?
9. Why is Namtar sent above ground to the feast in the story of Nergal and Ereshkigal?
10. After giving up on disease, how does Ellil try to keep the world from becoming overpopulated?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)