|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story of Ishtar, what version does the author use?
(a) The Greek.
(b) The Akkadian.
(c) The Old Babylonian.
(d) The Sumerian.
2. What does Belili offer in order to help her brother, Dumuzi?
(a) Belili will take over Dumuzi's duties above the Underworld.
(b) Belili will take Dumuzi's place in the Underworld one month a year.
(c) Belili will take Dumuzi's place in the Underworld for half the year.
(d) Belili will assist Ereshkigal so that the queen may occasionally leave the Underworld.
3. How does Ereshkigal keep Nergal from killing her in the Amarna version?
(a) She promises that she will step down as queen of the Underworld.
(b) She promises that she will drop her vendetta.
(c) She promises that Nergal may force Namtar to apologize.
(d) She promises to marry him.
4. After Gilgamesh passes through the mountains, what creatures does Gilgamesh mistakenly kill?
(a) The Gorgons.
(b) The taklimtu.
(c) The stone creatures.
(d) The Sebitti.
5. For what reason, in the story of Atrahasis, do the gods create man?
(a) They are tired of doing all of the work on their own.
(b) They were hoping to run an experiment.
(c) The gods were bored.
(d) The gods were lonely without anyone to lead.
Short Answer Questions
1. What purpose does the Sigla and Abbreviations section serve for this book?
2. What tool is used within the introductions to help the reader understand the time line of these stories?
3. From which civilization do these myths originate?
4. In the final tablet of the Epic of Gilgamesh, what does Enkidu offer to retrieve for Gilgamesh?
5. Who is Nergal's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is the approximate location of Mesopotamia in the modern world?
2. In the Mesopotamian myths discussed in this book, what early beliefs are depicted?
3. Why is Namtar sent above ground to the feast in the story of Nergal and Ereshkigal?
4. Describe the purpose and function of some of the many different features of this book.
5. How does mankind react to the drought and famine before the ultimate appearance of the flood?
6. According to the story of Atrahasis, how and why was man created?
7. How do the fates of Dumuzi and Belili explain the seasons and rituals of Mesopotamia?
8. How does Ishtar gain entrance into the Underworld?
9. What arrangement is made for Ishtar's release from the Underworld?
10. According to the author, why is it important that people understand the origins of several well-known stories as well as knowing more about the time period from which these stories were born?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)