|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason is given for parts of these myths being missing?
(a) Some of the paintings were missing.
(b) The tapestries had been partially burned.
(c) The tablets were partially destroyed.
(d) The pottery had been shattered.
2. What god is sacrificed in order to create man?
3. In what tradition where these myths originally related?
(a) Oral tradition.
(b) Murals within the temples.
4. Why is Nergal sent to the Underworld?
(a) He is to send a message to Namtar from the gods about respect.
(b) He is to sacrifice himself to make amends for offending Namtar.
(c) He is to be whipped by Namtar.
(d) He is to judge the activities of the gods.
5. How does Ellil first punish mankind in the story of Atrahasis?
(a) He ignores their prayers for children.
(b) He orders a drought.
(c) He sends a flood.
(d) He unleashes the Sebitti.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the author not entirely certain that Atrahasis sent an offering of peace to the gods to stop the flooding?
2. What does Gilgamesh use to cross over the deadly water past the mountains and darkness?
3. What theory does the author suggest as the origin for the tale of Atrahasis?
4. In what modern country can the ancient civilization of these myths be found?
5. What does Atrahasis bring onto his boat besides people?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the purpose and function of some of the many different features of this book.
2. How does mankind react to the drought and famine before the ultimate appearance of the flood?
3. Why is Namtar sent above ground to the feast in the story of Nergal and Ereshkigal?
4. In the Armana version of the story of Nergal and Ereshkigal, what happens when Nergal goes to the Underworld?
5. How does Atrahasis initially save the world from ruin before the flood?
6. In the longer version of this story, what happens after Namtar fails to find Nergal outside of the Underworld?
7. After giving up on disease, how does Ellil try to keep the world from becoming overpopulated?
8. What is Nergal's offense against Namtar and his penance?
9. For what reasons does Enkidu die?
10. How does Enkidu escape from the Underworld on an alternate tablet?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)