|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From which civilization do these myths originate?
2. What happens to the plant Gilgamesh took from the Apsu?
(a) It is eaten by Gilgamesh in a trick from Ishtar.
(b) It is lost in a storm.
(c) It is stolen by a snake.
(d) It is stolen by Ishtar.
3. In the Babylonian version of Gilgamesh's story, what incites the battle between Gilgamesh and Enkidu?
(a) Enkidu kills Gilgamesh's mistress.
(b) Gilgamesh tries to seduce Shamkat.
(c) Gilgamesh attempts to kill Shamkat.
(d) Enkidu did not bow to Gilgamesh.
4. In the final tablet of the Epic of Gilgamesh, what does Enkidu offer to retrieve for Gilgamesh?
(a) A toy.
(c) A pomegranate seed.
(d) A sword.
5. Who is Namtar?
(a) Ereshkigal's vizier.
(b) Ereshkigal's judge.
(c) Ereshkigal's brother.
(d) Ereshkigal's lover.
Short Answer Questions
1. What facet of mankind annoys Ellil to the point where he nearly casts a plague upon them?
2. What reason is given for parts of these myths being missing?
3. What does Ea advise Nergal to refrain from while in the Underworld?
4. What offer does Gilgamesh refuse from Ishtar?
5. What section of the book is the table of contents for the book's figures?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does mankind react to the drought and famine before the ultimate appearance of the flood?
2. Why are several of the myths in this book fragmented or missing whole sections?
3. How do the fates of Dumuzi and Belili explain the seasons and rituals of Mesopotamia?
4. What is Nergal's offense against Namtar and his penance?
5. Why does all sexual activity on Earth stop while Ishtar is in Kurnugi?
6. What reasons are given for the Mesopotamian myths becoming the basis of stories for several other cultures?
7. In the Mesopotamian myths discussed in this book, what early beliefs are depicted?
8. How does Ishtar gain entrance into the Underworld?
9. In the longer version of this story, what happens after Namtar fails to find Nergal outside of the Underworld?
10. How does Enkidu escape from the Underworld on an alternate tablet?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)