|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the station of the god or goddess who creates man?
(a) The earth-goddess.
(b) The heart-goddess.
(c) The womb-goddess.
(d) The hearth-goddess.
2. Of what is Ishtar the goddess?
3. What threat does Ishtar use when addressing the gatekeeper of the Underworld?
(a) She will force Ereshkigal to leave her throne.
(b) She will make the dead rise to prey on the living.
(c) She will not allow another soul to pass through the gates.
(d) She will kill Namtar.
4. In the Armana version, what does Nergal do to Namtar when he reaches the final door to the Underworld?
(a) Namtar is beheaded.
(b) Namtar is trapped in the forecourt.
(c) Namtar is trapped in an icy pond.
(d) Namtar is slapped in the face.
5. For what errand does Ea create the man called Good-Looks?
(a) Good-Looks is to reprimand Ereshkigal and Ishtar for their feud.
(b) Good-Looks is to distract Ereshkigal so that Ishtar may escape.
(c) Good-Looks is to fetch waters of life from Ereshkigal.
(d) Good-Looks is to torment Ishtar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What section of the book is the table of contents for the book's figures?
2. What biblical character is similar to Atrahasis?
3. For what reason, in the story of Atrahasis, do the gods create man?
4. What mercy does Ea grant to Gilgamesh in response to the man's prayers?
5. After seven years of famine, to what does mankind resort?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Shamhat force Enkidu to meet Gilgamesh?
2. Why does all sexual activity on Earth stop while Ishtar is in Kurnugi?
3. After giving up on disease, how does Ellil try to keep the world from becoming overpopulated?
4. What arrangement is made for Ishtar's release from the Underworld?
5. In the Armana version of the story of Nergal and Ereshkigal, what happens when Nergal goes to the Underworld?
6. How does Atrahasis initially save the world from ruin before the flood?
7. What is significant about Ninsun adopting Enkidu as her own son?
8. What remedies are offered after the flood to help control the population of the world?
9. How does Ishtar gain entrance into the Underworld?
10. What must Namtar avoid doing while in the Underworld serving out his punishment?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)