|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do the myths revolve around?
(a) The gods of China.
(b) The gods of Rome.
(c) The gods of Mesopotamia.
(d) The gods of Greece.
2. When Nergal returns to the Underworld on his own, what happens when he finds Ereshkigal?
(a) Ereshkigal orders for him to be tortured.
(b) They remain in bed for seven days.
(c) He spits in Namtar's face.
(d) Ereshkigal strikes him in the face.
3. How does Ereshkigal avenge herself upon Ishtar?
(a) Namtar removes Ishtar's divine rights.
(b) She traps Ishtar in an icy lake.
(c) Namtar tricks Ishtar into marrying a beast.
(d) Namtar casts sixty diseases on Ishtar.
4. On what condition does Ereshkigal allow Ishtar entrance to Kurnugi?
(a) She must follow the ancient rites.
(b) She must be polite.
(c) She must marry the first man she sees after exiting the Underworld.
(d) She must apologize for her transgressions against Ereshkigal.
5. How does Ereshkigal keep Nergal from killing her in the Amarna version?
(a) She promises that Nergal may force Namtar to apologize.
(b) She promises that she will drop her vendetta.
(c) She promises to marry him.
(d) She promises that she will step down as queen of the Underworld.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which goddess creates Enkidu in order to bring down Gilgamesh's arrogance?
2. How does Ut-napishtium prove to Gilgamesh how many days the latter man slept?
3. In the Amarna version of Nergal and Ereshkigal's story, what does Ea send to the Underworld with Nergal?
4. After the death of Enkidu, for what does a grieving Gilgamesh seek?
5. After seven years of famine, to what does mankind resort?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some ways that Ellil punished mankind before the flood?
2. After giving up on disease, how does Ellil try to keep the world from becoming overpopulated?
3. Why are several of the myths in this book fragmented or missing whole sections?
4. What must Namtar avoid doing while in the Underworld serving out his punishment?
5. How does Atrahasis initially save the world from ruin before the flood?
6. In the Armana version of the story of Nergal and Ereshkigal, what happens when Nergal goes to the Underworld?
7. How do the fates of Dumuzi and Belili explain the seasons and rituals of Mesopotamia?
8. What is Nergal's offense against Namtar and his penance?
9. How does Enkidu escape from the Underworld on an alternate tablet?
10. Where is the approximate location of Mesopotamia in the modern world?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)