|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In terms of population control, what do the gods agree to do with women?
(a) Women will only be able to have sex once a month.
(b) Women will have to pray to the gods to get pregnant.
(c) Not all women will be able to or allowed to give birth.
(d) Women will have to ask permission of the holy men to become pregnant.
2. How long does Enki believe the flood will last?
(a) Three years.
(b) Forty days and forty nights.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Seven days.
3. In what modern country can the ancient civilization of these myths be found?
4. What is the result of Enkidu and Gilgamesh's brutal battle?
(a) Gilgamesh is felled by Enkidu and pledges his servitude to him.
(b) Enkidu falls and becomes Gilgamesh's servant.
(c) They become enemies.
(d) They become friends.
5. What is the station of the god or goddess who creates man?
(a) The heart-goddess.
(b) The hearth-goddess.
(c) The earth-goddess.
(d) The womb-goddess.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason is given for parts of these myths being missing?
2. What unique feature does this book use to help the reader understand these stories?
3. After the death of Enkidu, for what does a grieving Gilgamesh seek?
4. In the Armana version, why does Ereshkigal send Namtar to the gods after the banquet?
5. In the Armana version, what does Nergal do to Namtar when he reaches the final door to the Underworld?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Adapa tricked out of becoming immortal?
2. Where is the approximate location of Mesopotamia in the modern world?
3. What is significant about the Mesopotamian culture when reading the Theology of Dunnu?
4. Describe Gilgamesh's journey to see Ut-napishtim (or Atrahasis)?
5. In the Armana version of the story of Nergal and Ereshkigal, what happens when Nergal goes to the Underworld?
6. Before receiving instructions from Ea, how does the battle between Ninurta and Anzu initially go?
7. In the Mesopotamian myths discussed in this book, what early beliefs are depicted?
8. What happens when Erra takes over Marduk's palace?
9. Why does all sexual activity on Earth stop while Ishtar is in Kurnugi?
10. Describe the lineage of the gods as depicted in the Epic of Creation.
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)