|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what reason, in the story of Atrahasis, do the gods create man?
(a) They are tired of doing all of the work on their own.
(b) They were hoping to run an experiment.
(c) The gods were bored.
(d) The gods were lonely without anyone to lead.
2. How does Ereshkigal avenge herself upon Ishtar?
(a) Namtar casts sixty diseases on Ishtar.
(b) Namtar tricks Ishtar into marrying a beast.
(c) Namtar removes Ishtar's divine rights.
(d) She traps Ishtar in an icy lake.
3. Of what is Ishtar the goddess?
4. In what color is Dumuzi clad when he descends to Kurnugi?
5. What unique feature does this book use to help the reader understand these stories?
(a) It is fully annotated so that further research is accessible.
(b) It offers a version of the stories in their original language.
(c) It offers several original pictures from the time period.
(d) It relates these stories to other, well-known tales.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the king of the old gods?
2. What do the gods, at the end of Atrahasis's story, amend in every living human?
3. How must Nergal atone for his offense towards Namtar?
4. When Nergal travels to the Underworld, to what story is the description of his descent similar?
5. What reason does Ut-napishtium (or Atrahasis) give Gilgamesh for why only he is allowed to be immortal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Enkidu escape from the Underworld on an alternate tablet?
2. How does Ishtar gain entrance into the Underworld?
3. What must Namtar avoid doing while in the Underworld serving out his punishment?
4. What reasons does Ereshkigal give for her anguish over losing Nergal?
5. What reasons are given for the Mesopotamian myths becoming the basis of stories for several other cultures?
6. What is significant about Ninsun adopting Enkidu as her own son?
7. Describe Gilgamesh's journey to see Ut-napishtim (or Atrahasis)?
8. In the Armana version of the story of Nergal and Ereshkigal, what happens when Nergal goes to the Underworld?
9. Describe Ishtar's journey to see her sister, Ereshkigal, in the Underworld.
10. For what reasons does Enkidu die?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)