|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Kurnugi?
(a) The gods' home.
(b) The collective temples of the gods.
(c) The sea.
(d) The Underworld.
2. How many myths are contained in this book?
3. In the Babylonian version of Gilgamesh's story, what incites the battle between Gilgamesh and Enkidu?
(a) Enkidu did not bow to Gilgamesh.
(b) Enkidu kills Gilgamesh's mistress.
(c) Gilgamesh tries to seduce Shamkat.
(d) Gilgamesh attempts to kill Shamkat.
4. In the story of Ereshkigal, why does Kakka tell the queen of the Underworld to send a messenger up to the world?
(a) They wish send some of their feast to her.
(b) They wish to send more help to the Underworld.
(c) They wish to to replace her messenger.
(d) They wish to assassinate the queen.
5. How does Good-Looks save Ishtar from Kurnugi?
(a) He loosens her bonds.
(b) He pours the waters of life on her.
(c) He kisses her.
(d) He exchanges himself to Ereshkigal for Ishtar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What facet of mankind annoys Ellil to the point where he nearly casts a plague upon them?
2. What mercy does Ea grant to Gilgamesh in response to the man's prayers?
3. What do Anu and Ellil agree to do for the other gods?
4. After the death of Enkidu, for what does a grieving Gilgamesh seek?
5. What theory does the author suggest as the origin for the tale of Atrahasis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is the approximate location of Mesopotamia in the modern world?
2. What remedies are offered after the flood to help control the population of the world?
3. Describe Ishtar's journey to see her sister, Ereshkigal, in the Underworld.
4. Why is Namtar sent above ground to the feast in the story of Nergal and Ereshkigal?
5. What is significant about Ninsun adopting Enkidu as her own son?
6. What are some ways that Ellil punished mankind before the flood?
7. Why does all sexual activity on Earth stop while Ishtar is in Kurnugi?
8. For what reasons does Enkidu die?
9. How does Enkidu escape from the Underworld on an alternate tablet?
10. In the Armana version of the story of Nergal and Ereshkigal, what happens when Nergal goes to the Underworld?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)