|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Enki give Belet-ili?
2. What theory does the author suggest as the origin for the tale of Atrahasis?
(a) It explains how the rivers Tigris and Euphrates were formed.
(b) It explains why New Years is a celebration all around the world.
(c) It explains why water is so revered in the Mesopotamian culture.
(d) It is an explanation for why the priestesses of Shamash were never allowed to have children.
3. What offer does Gilgamesh refuse from Ishtar?
4. In what tradition where these myths originally related?
(a) Murals within the temples.
(b) Oral tradition.
5. How much of Gilgamesh is considered to be the mortal part?
(a) One fourth.
(b) One third.
(c) One fifth.
(d) One half.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gesture does Ninsun extend before Gilgamesh and Enkidu go to stop Humbaba?
2. What do Anu and Ellil agree to do for the other gods?
3. How does Ereshkigal avenge herself upon Ishtar?
4. What Greek goddess is heavily connected to Ishtar?
5. How does Ereshkigal keep Nergal from killing her in the Amarna version?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some ways that Ellil punished mankind before the flood?
2. Describe Ishtar's journey to see her sister, Ereshkigal, in the Underworld.
3. After giving up on disease, how does Ellil try to keep the world from becoming overpopulated?
4. Where is the approximate location of Mesopotamia in the modern world?
5. Why does all sexual activity on Earth stop while Ishtar is in Kurnugi?
6. What reasons does Ereshkigal give for her anguish over losing Nergal?
7. What arrangement is made for Ishtar's release from the Underworld?
8. What must Namtar avoid doing while in the Underworld serving out his punishment?
9. Why does Belet-ili bring Enkidu to life?
10. How does Enkidu escape from the Underworld on an alternate tablet?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)