|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ereshkigal avenge herself upon Ishtar?
(a) She traps Ishtar in an icy lake.
(b) Namtar casts sixty diseases on Ishtar.
(c) Namtar removes Ishtar's divine rights.
(d) Namtar tricks Ishtar into marrying a beast.
2. From which civilization do these myths originate?
3. How does Shamash help Gilgamesh in his battle against Humbaba?
(a) Shamash tricks Humbaba into looking the wrong way.
(b) Shamash convinces Humbaba that using weapons will be dishonorable to the gods.
(c) Shamash subdues Humbaba.
(d) Shamash calls down the thirteen winds.
4. What tool is used within the introductions to help the reader understand the time line of these stories?
(a) The Flow Chart.
(b) The Sigla.
(c) The Chronological Chart.
(d) The Abbreviations.
5. For what reason, in the story of Atrahasis, do the gods create man?
(a) The gods were lonely without anyone to lead.
(b) The gods were bored.
(c) They were hoping to run an experiment.
(d) They are tired of doing all of the work on their own.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Armana version, what does Nergal do to Namtar when he reaches the final door to the Underworld?
2. What does Ea advise Nergal to refrain from while in the Underworld?
3. How does Ishtar being trapped in Kuranugi affect earth?
4. What tool, in this book, explains how these myths came about?
5. What facet of mankind annoys Ellil to the point where he nearly casts a plague upon them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mother Hubur create for Tiamat and why?
2. What is significant about the Mesopotamian culture when reading the Theology of Dunnu?
3. Describe the lineage of the gods as depicted in the Epic of Creation.
4. What is Nergal's offense against Namtar and his penance?
5. What happens when Erra takes over Marduk's palace?
6. What are some ways that Ellil punished mankind before the flood?
7. How does Erra trick Marduk into leaving his palace?
8. What must Namtar avoid doing while in the Underworld serving out his punishment?
9. How does Ishum end Erra's devastation of the world?
10. What remedies are offered after the flood to help control the population of the world?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)