|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gesture does Ninsun extend before Gilgamesh and Enkidu go to stop Humbaba?
(a) She blesses Enkidu.
(b) She asks Gilgamesh and Enkidu to pray with her.
(c) She disowns Gilgamesh so that he will carry no guilt of abandonment with him on his journey.
(d) She adopts Enkidu as another son.
2. When Namtar is sent from the Underworld to argue with the gods for Nergal's return, what does Ereshkigal reveal?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She has been planning on poisoning Nergal for his obstinance.
(c) She was raped.
(d) She is dying.
3. What reasons does Enki give for instructing Antrahasis to build his boat?
(a) He was asked to intervene by Belet-ili.
(b) He wanted to be sure that the new race of humans would worship him.
(c) He wanted to be sure that there would still be life on earth.
(d) He wanted to humiliate Ellil.
4. In the story of Ereshkigal, why does Kakka tell the queen of the Underworld to send a messenger up to the world?
(a) They wish send some of their feast to her.
(b) They wish to send more help to the Underworld.
(c) They wish to to replace her messenger.
(d) They wish to assassinate the queen.
5. After Gilgamesh passes through the mountains, what creatures does Gilgamesh mistakenly kill?
(a) The taklimtu.
(b) The Gorgons.
(c) The Sebitti.
(d) The stone creatures.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ereshkigal?
2. What threat does Ishtar use when addressing the gatekeeper of the Underworld?
3. What is the result of Enkidu and Gilgamesh's brutal battle?
4. What mercy does Ea grant to Gilgamesh in response to the man's prayers?
5. In the Armana version, why does Ereshkigal send Namtar to the gods after the banquet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ishtar's journey to see her sister, Ereshkigal, in the Underworld.
2. How do the fates of Dumuzi and Belili explain the seasons and rituals of Mesopotamia?
3. How does Shamhat force Enkidu to meet Gilgamesh?
4. How does Ishtar gain entrance into the Underworld?
5. Why is Namtar sent above ground to the feast in the story of Nergal and Ereshkigal?
6. In the longer version of this story, what happens after Namtar fails to find Nergal outside of the Underworld?
7. In the Armana version of the story of Nergal and Ereshkigal, what happens when Nergal goes to the Underworld?
8. What are some ways that Ellil punished mankind before the flood?
9. According to the author, why is it important that people understand the origins of several well-known stories as well as knowing more about the time period from which these stories were born?
10. In the Mesopotamian myths discussed in this book, what early beliefs are depicted?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)