|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Erra want from mankind?
(a) He wants to be accepted as their deity.
(b) He wants to be their friend.
(c) He wants to be feared.
(d) He wants to be loved.
2. To whom does the blessing of the bow refer in The Epic of Creation?
3. Who does Hayyashum marry?
(a) His sister.
(b) His niece.
(c) His mother.
(d) His cousin.
4. When Nirgirsu is depicted battling the man who stole the Tablet in the Old Babylonian version of this story, how many lines are missing between this section and the part where Ea intervenes with instructions?
5. Where does Marduk build the house for Lahmu and Lahamu to use when they are passing through?
6. What act does Mami claim will cause Ninurta to be worshiped throughout the land?
(a) Saving Anzu.
(b) Killing Marduk.
(c) Killing Anzu.
(d) Killing Ea.
7. When the eagle takes Etana to the skies, why does the king ask to be returned to earth?
(a) Etana had dreams of forboding.
(b) Etana changed his mind about going to see the gods.
(c) Etana became fearful of the heights.
(d) Etana grew ill from the ascent.
8. What does Ishum offer to Erra for a cessation of the attacks on mankind?
(a) The chaos of Tiamat contained in a crystal.
(b) A bride.
(c) The creation skills of Belet-ili so that Erra can create his own race.
(d) The service and support of the rest of the gods.
9. When Erra starts to destroy the world, who attempts to become the voice of reason for him?
10. Which does not describe Marduk?
(a) Fire breathing.
(b) Four eyes.
(d) Perfect build.
11. Where does the story depicting the theft of the Tablet of Destiny end in the Old Babylonian version?
(a) Anzum surrendering the Tablet.
(b) Nirgirsu cutting off Anzum's wings.
(c) Anzum's body being thrown from the cliffs.
(d) Nirgirsu shooting Anzum in the heart.
12. What is the result of Ninurta killing Anzu?
(a) Ninurta becomes shunned by all of mankind.
(b) Ninurta has become famous all over the world.
(c) Anzu becomes demonized in all cultures.
(d) Ninurta becomes king of the gods.
13. Why do Adad, Gerra, and Shara refuse to attack Anzu?
(a) They know Anzu will turn them to clay.
(b) They feel Anzu is right.
(c) They know Anzu is the superior fighter.
(d) They know Anzu will take control and they do not want to cross him.
14. Who is one of the creators of Lahmu and Lahamu?
15. In the shorter version of Anzu's story from Old Babylonia, where does the story start due to a missing tablet?
(a) Anzu stealing the Tablet.
(b) Ninurta's instructions to take Anzu's wings.
(c) Anzu battling Ninurta.
(d) Anzu's decision to steal the Tablet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is both wife and sister to Haharnum?
2. What leads Etana to attempt, for a second time, to fly with the eagle to Anu's heaven?
3. Who does the Cattle God kill?
4. What duty is assigned to Anzu by Ellil?
5. What function does the Tablet of Destinies serve?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)