|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the eagle takes Etana to the skies, why does the king ask to be returned to earth?
(a) Etana had dreams of forboding.
(b) Etana changed his mind about going to see the gods.
(c) Etana became fearful of the heights.
(d) Etana grew ill from the ascent.
2. What fate is granted to Marduk for volunteering to battle Tiamat?
(a) He is made king of the gods.
(b) He will be canonized.
(c) He will be made the gods' warrior.
(d) He will be granted any temple in the land.
3. Who is both wife and sister to Haharnum?
4. Why is Ea unable to face Tiamat?
(a) He is afraid of her.
(b) He is too injured.
(c) He knows his powers will not affect her.
(d) He does not wish to kill his mother.
5. How must the eagle help Etana in return for saving the bird's life?
(a) The eagle must kill the snake.
(b) The eagle must help Etana gain safe passage through the Underworld.
(c) The eagle must help Etana find the plant that grant immortality.
(d) The eagle must help Etana find the plant of birth.
6. Who is Adapa?
(a) The god who insulted Namtar.
(b) A sage who taught mankind how to build a civilization.
(c) The king who saved people and animals during the great flood.
(d) The man who takes Ishtar's place in the Underworld.
7. After the death of Tiamat, what adorns the door to Apsu?
(a) Tiatmat's head.
(b) Apsu's head.
(c) Marduk's weapons.
(d) Mother Hubur's creatures.
8. In the final tablet of Erra and Ishum, what is the name of the author who apparently dreamed this story?
9. What pact do the eagle and snake in Etana's story make with Shamash?
(a) The animals will work together to force Etana to leave his fort.
(b) The animals will both work with Etana.
(c) The animals will worship only Shamash.
(d) The animals will not harm each other.
10. What holiday is the culmination of the cycle represented by the Theology of Dunnu?
(b) Winter Solstice.
(c) New Year.
11. What function does the Tablet of Destinies serve?
(a) It controls how long mankind lives.
(b) It controls the weather patterns.
(c) It controls the seasonal changes.
(d) It controls the orders and fates for the gods.
12. What appears to be the main thing that Erra craves from the other gods, as illustrated several times throughout his story?
13. What is the name of Etana's son?
14. Who is the offspring of the Cattle God and the Sea?
(b) The Flocks God.
15. Why does the snake attack the eagle and leave it for dead in a pit?
(a) The eagle ate the snake's young.
(b) The snake is reneging on their deal.
(c) The snake wanted the tree to himself.
(d) The eagle insulted Shamash.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who marries Pasture and Poplar?
2. How many names are given to Marduk by Anshar, Lahmu, and Lahamu?
3. Because Adapa was mislead by Ea and Anu, what opportunity does he miss?
4. How does Marduk entrap Tiamat?
5. What does Ishum offer to Erra for a cessation of the attacks on mankind?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)