|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the shorter version of Anzu's story from Old Babylonia, where does the story start due to a missing tablet?
(a) Anzu stealing the Tablet.
(b) Anzu battling Ninurta.
(c) Ninurta's instructions to take Anzu's wings.
(d) Anzu's decision to steal the Tablet.
2. When Nirgirsu is depicted battling the man who stole the Tablet in the Old Babylonian version of this story, how many lines are missing between this section and the part where Ea intervenes with instructions?
3. Why is Ea unable to face Tiamat?
(a) He is too injured.
(b) He does not wish to kill his mother.
(c) He knows his powers will not affect her.
(d) He is afraid of her.
4. What gift to Ea bestow upon Adapa?
(a) The ability to say only the truth.
(b) Oratory skills.
5. In the Old Babylonian version of the theft of the Tablet of Destiny, what is Anzu's name?
6. Why is Ninurta unable to kill Anzu?
(a) Anzu is too fast for Ninurta to catch.
(b) Anzu is much smarter than the other gods.
(c) Anzu controls everything with the Tablet.
(d) Ninurta feels it is not right to kill Anzu.
7. In the Theology of Dunnu, what happens when pieces of the Earth mate?
(a) The skies part.
(b) Another part of Earth is created.
(c) Another part of Earth is destroyed.
(d) The oceans make waves.
8. What food does Anu actually offer to Adapa?
(a) The bread of truth.
(b) The bread of life.
(c) The bread of lies.
(d) The bread of death.
9. What does Erra ask of Ishum in the beginning of their story?
(a) He wants Ishum to appeal to Ea for more responsibilities.
(b) He wants Ishum to renounce his divinity.
(c) He wants Ishum to start a battle.
(d) He wants Ishum to help him gain more territory.
10. From what does Marduk create the world?
(a) Tiamat's crown.
(b) Tiamat's remains.
(c) Apsu's rown.
(d) Apsu's remains.
11. Why does Adapa curse the South Wind?
(a) The wind blew sand in his eyes, causing him to drop a valuable jar.
(b) The wind blew his house over, injuring several people.
(c) The wind overturned his son's boat.
(d) The wind overturned his boat.
12. What is not one of Adapa's responsibilities?
(a) Healing the sick.
(b) Working alongside the bakers.
(c) Tending the rites.
(d) Fishing for Eridu.
13. What tree grows by Etana's fort?
14. What does Ishum offer to Erra for a cessation of the attacks on mankind?
(a) The chaos of Tiamat contained in a crystal.
(b) The service and support of the rest of the gods.
(c) The creation skills of Belet-ili so that Erra can create his own race.
(d) A bride.
15. In the final tablet of Erra and Ishum, what is the name of the author who apparently dreamed this story?
Short Answer Questions
1. Fill in the blank: The Herdman God has slain both the Flock God and ______.
2. Who is one of the creators of Lahmu and Lahamu?
3. What does Ea specifically tell Adapa that he must not eat while appearing before Anu?
4. For how many months does Etana feed and train the eagle in the pit?
5. How do the gods know when Ninurta has slain Anzu?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)