|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Fill in the blank: The Herdman God has slain both the Flock God and ______.
2. What is the result of Ninurta killing Anzu?
(a) Ninurta has become famous all over the world.
(b) Ninurta becomes shunned by all of mankind.
(c) Ninurta becomes king of the gods.
(d) Anzu becomes demonized in all cultures.
3. From what does Marduk create the world?
(a) Apsu's remains.
(b) Tiamat's remains.
(c) Tiamat's crown.
(d) Apsu's rown.
4. With whom does the Earth create a union in the Theology of Dunnu?
5. How does Marduk entrap Tiamat?
(a) He binds her with the four winds.
(b) He traps her in a cave.
(c) He throws her in the ocean.
(d) He binds her with the tree of life.
6. How does Mami (or Belet-ili) explain the robbery of the Tablet to Ninurta?
(a) Anzu is unworthy to hold the tablet.
(b) Anzu essentially robbed her.
(c) Anzu robbed mankind.
(d) Anzu is in the right but acted too rashly.
7. Where does the story depicting the theft of the Tablet of Destiny end in the Old Babylonian version?
(a) Nirgirsu shooting Anzum in the heart.
(b) Anzum's body being thrown from the cliffs.
(c) Nirgirsu cutting off Anzum's wings.
(d) Anzum surrendering the Tablet.
8. How does the Epic of Creation in this book end?
(a) Mankind will no longer need to rely on the gods for help.
(b) Mankind will hopefully worship Marduk as the gods' savior.
(c) Apsu will stay below the waters for eternity.
(d) TIamat will never return to reclaim her throne
9. What pact do the eagle and snake in Etana's story make with Shamash?
(a) The animals will work together to force Etana to leave his fort.
(b) The animals will not harm each other.
(c) The animals will worship only Shamash.
(d) The animals will both work with Etana.
10. Who does Hayyashum marry?
(a) His niece.
(b) His cousin.
(c) His mother.
(d) His sister.
11. How many names are given to Marduk by Anshar, Lahmu, and Lahamu?
12. What name does Marduk give to the area in front of Esharra?
13. In the final tablet of Erra and Ishum, what is the name of the author who apparently dreamed this story?
14. What monstrosities does Erra release upon mankind?
(a) The Igigi.
(b) The Gorgons.
(c) The Sebitti.
(d) The Anunnaki.
15. What is Sharur?
(a) The personification of Ninurta's weapon.
(b) Ninurta's student.
(c) Anzu's wife who rebels against Anzu.
(d) Ninurta's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does the blessing of the bow refer in The Epic of Creation?
2. How does Ninurta return from the mountains after killing Anzu?
3. According to the story of Erra and Ishum, what will happen if Marduk leaves his palace?
4. Who are the Sebitti?
5. How do the gods know when Ninurta has slain Anzu?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)