|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift to Ea bestow upon Adapa?
(c) The ability to say only the truth.
(d) Oratory skills.
2. What is the true reason for the Sebitti wanting to go to battle with Erra?
3. What does Hayyashum do to Haharnum after taking over his territory?
(a) Deifies him.
(b) Kills him.
(c) Tortures him.
(d) Imprisons him.
4. Why do Apsu and Mummu plan to kill the gods?
(a) Apsu fears that they will rebel.
(b) They are too weak for Apsu's plans.
(c) They are too loud for Apsu.
(d) Apsu fears he made them defective.
5. What duty is assigned to Anzu by Ellil?
(a) Anzu is guard the innermost chamber of Ellil's temple.
(b) Anzu is to guard the outer layers of Ellil's temple.
(c) Anzu is to train the guards to keep an eye on Ellil's temple.
(d) Anzu is to guard the entrance to Ellil's temple.
6. Where does the story depicting the theft of the Tablet of Destiny end in the Old Babylonian version?
(a) Nirgirsu cutting off Anzum's wings.
(b) Nirgirsu shooting Anzum in the heart.
(c) Anzum surrendering the Tablet.
(d) Anzum's body being thrown from the cliffs.
7. What is significant about the Theology of Dunnu?
(a) It shows that not all areas in Mesopotamia had the same beliefs.
(b) It shows that written records were kept before Mesopotamia.
(c) It shows that Ancient Babylonians did not actually take their gods literally.
(d) It shows that there was a belief system before Marduk.
8. After the death of Tiamat, what adorns the door to Apsu?
(a) Mother Hubur's creatures.
(b) Apsu's head.
(c) Tiatmat's head.
(d) Marduk's weapons.
9. How does the story of Erra and Ishum differ in format from the rest of the myths in this book?
(a) The story is told in prose.
(b) The story is told in verse.
(c) The story is told in iambic pentameter.
(d) The story is told in the form of speeches.
10. What appears to be the main thing that Erra craves from the other gods, as illustrated several times throughout his story?
11. According to Erra, what of Marduk's has become dirty?
(a) His face.
(b) His throne.
(c) His adornment.
(d) His hair.
12. Who creates an army of vicious, terrible warriors in the Epic of Creation?
(a) Mother Hubur.
(c) Mother Anza.
13. Fill in the blank: The Herdman God has slain both the Flock God and ______.
14. Which does not describe Marduk?
(a) Four eyes.
(b) Perfect build.
(c) Fire breathing.
15. How must the eagle help Etana in return for saving the bird's life?
(a) The eagle must help Etana find the plant of birth.
(b) The eagle must help Etana gain safe passage through the Underworld.
(c) The eagle must help Etana find the plant that grant immortality.
(d) The eagle must kill the snake.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the Festival of the New Year, why was the Epic of Creation performed or recited?
2. What name does Marduk give to the area in front of Esharra?
3. What leads Etana to attempt, for a second time, to fly with the eagle to Anu's heaven?
4. In the Theology of Dunnu, what happens when pieces of the Earth mate?
5. What monstrosities does Erra release upon mankind?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)