|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the Festival of the New Year, why was the Epic of Creation performed or recited?
(a) It was a time for feasting.
(b) It was a morale-booster for the citizens.
(c) It was propaganda for the king.
(d) It was a religious ceremony for the temple maidens.
2. What tree grows by Etana's fort?
3. What name does Marduk give to the area in front of Esharra?
4. Why is Ninurta unable to kill Anzu?
(a) Anzu controls everything with the Tablet.
(b) Anzu is too fast for Ninurta to catch.
(c) Anzu is much smarter than the other gods.
(d) Ninurta feels it is not right to kill Anzu.
5. What act does Mami claim will cause Ninurta to be worshiped throughout the land?
(a) Killing Ea.
(b) Killing Anzu.
(c) Saving Anzu.
(d) Killing Marduk.
6. Who is Adapa?
(a) A sage who taught mankind how to build a civilization.
(b) The god who insulted Namtar.
(c) The king who saved people and animals during the great flood.
(d) The man who takes Ishtar's place in the Underworld.
7. Why is Ea unable to face Tiamat?
(a) He does not wish to kill his mother.
(b) He is too injured.
(c) He is afraid of her.
(d) He knows his powers will not affect her.
8. What function does the Tablet of Destinies serve?
(a) It controls the orders and fates for the gods.
(b) It controls the weather patterns.
(c) It controls the seasonal changes.
(d) It controls how long mankind lives.
9. How does Mami (or Belet-ili) explain the robbery of the Tablet to Ninurta?
(a) Anzu robbed mankind.
(b) Anzu is in the right but acted too rashly.
(c) Anzu essentially robbed her.
(d) Anzu is unworthy to hold the tablet.
10. Why does Erra become furious with the other gods after Marduk leaves his palace?
(a) The other gods are simply ignoring Erra.
(b) The other gods have kept Erra from unleashing his anger on the world.
(c) The other gods keep referring to Marduk as their king.
(d) The other gods have chosen to do battle with Erra.
11. Who does Hayyashum marry?
(a) His niece.
(b) His sister.
(c) His cousin.
(d) His mother.
12. Who is both wife and sister to Haharnum?
13. When Erra starts to destroy the world, who attempts to become the voice of reason for him?
14. Who creates an army of vicious, terrible warriors in the Epic of Creation?
(b) Mother Hubur.
(c) Mother Anza.
15. What does Erra ask of Ishum in the beginning of their story?
(a) He wants Ishum to help him gain more territory.
(b) He wants Ishum to renounce his divinity.
(c) He wants Ishum to start a battle.
(d) He wants Ishum to appeal to Ea for more responsibilities.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the story depicting the theft of the Tablet of Destiny end in the Old Babylonian version?
2. How does Ninurta return from the mountains after killing Anzu?
3. What is Anu's relationships to Ada and Gerra?
4. According to Erra, what of Marduk's has become dirty?
5. Who is the offspring of the Cattle God and the Sea?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)