|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Nirgirsu is depicted battling the man who stole the Tablet in the Old Babylonian version of this story, how many lines are missing between this section and the part where Ea intervenes with instructions?
2. What tree grows by Etana's fort?
3. Why does Adapa curse the South Wind?
(a) The wind blew his house over, injuring several people.
(b) The wind blew sand in his eyes, causing him to drop a valuable jar.
(c) The wind overturned his son's boat.
(d) The wind overturned his boat.
4. What must Adapa wear when he is sent to appear before Anu?
(a) He must be dressed as the gods.
(b) A shift from the Temple of Anu.
(c) Mourning clothing.
5. What name does Marduk give to the area in front of Esharra?
6. Where does the story depicting the theft of the Tablet of Destiny end in the Old Babylonian version?
(a) Nirgirsu shooting Anzum in the heart.
(b) Anzum's body being thrown from the cliffs.
(c) Anzum surrendering the Tablet.
(d) Nirgirsu cutting off Anzum's wings.
7. What holiday is the culmination of the cycle represented by the Theology of Dunnu?
(a) New Year.
(d) Winter Solstice.
8. With whom does the Earth create a union in the Theology of Dunnu?
9. Who are the Sebitti?
(a) They are the children of Ishtar and Dumuzi.
(b) They are the human warriors of Mesopotamian.
(c) They are the temple maidens in Ea's temple.
(d) They are the ferocious children of Earth and Anu.
10. How does Erra, after taking over Marduk's palace, start draining the latter god's power?
(a) He keeps people from worshipping at Marduk's temples.
(b) He shatters Marduk's sword.
(c) He keeps people from remembering that their god is Marduk.
(d) He drinks Marduk's wine.
11. Because Adapa was mislead by Ea and Anu, what opportunity does he miss?
(a) Eternal life.
(d) The ability to travel through life and death.
12. What is significant about the Theology of Dunnu?
(a) It shows that there was a belief system before Marduk.
(b) It shows that Ancient Babylonians did not actually take their gods literally.
(c) It shows that not all areas in Mesopotamia had the same beliefs.
(d) It shows that written records were kept before Mesopotamia.
13. Who is Adapa?
(a) The god who insulted Namtar.
(b) A sage who taught mankind how to build a civilization.
(c) The man who takes Ishtar's place in the Underworld.
(d) The king who saved people and animals during the great flood.
14. Why does Erra become furious with the other gods after Marduk leaves his palace?
(a) The other gods have chosen to do battle with Erra.
(b) The other gods keep referring to Marduk as their king.
(c) The other gods are simply ignoring Erra.
(d) The other gods have kept Erra from unleashing his anger on the world.
15. According to Ea's instructions, what must Ninurta do after cutting off Anzu's wings?
(a) Shoot an arrow through his liver.
(b) Shoot an arrow through his head.
(c) Shoot an arrow through his throat.
(d) Shoot an arrow through his heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the true reason for the Sebitti wanting to go to battle with Erra?
2. Who is the offspring of the Cattle God and the Sea?
3. How does the Epic of Creation in this book end?
4. Who is one of the creators of Lahmu and Lahamu?
5. To whom does the blessing of the bow refer in The Epic of Creation?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)