|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many myths are contained in this book?
2. How does Ellil first punish mankind in the story of Atrahasis?
(a) He sends a flood.
(b) He ignores their prayers for children.
(c) He unleashes the Sebitti.
(d) He orders a drought.
3. What biblical character is similar to Atrahasis?
4. What is unique about the plant Gilgamesh retrieves from the Apsu?
(a) It is able to feed a small town for three months.
(b) It grants the finder a wish.
(c) It is the only one of its kind in the world.
(d) It grants immortality.
5. How must Nergal atone for his offense towards Namtar?
(a) Chop down trees and make a chair.
(b) Sacrifice several animals to Namtar.
(c) Pray for forgiveness.
(d) Walk to the underworld over gravel and allow his blood to cleanse his offense.
6. Why is the author not entirely certain that Atrahasis sent an offering of peace to the gods to stop the flooding?
(a) It is unclear if Atrahasis sent a peace offering or a warning.
(b) Atrahasis denies doing it in the text.
(c) Some of the text is missing.
(d) There are too many versions of this story to know for sure.
7. In the Babylonian version of Gilgamesh's story, what incites the battle between Gilgamesh and Enkidu?
(a) Gilgamesh attempts to kill Shamkat.
(b) Gilgamesh tries to seduce Shamkat.
(c) Enkidu did not bow to Gilgamesh.
(d) Enkidu kills Gilgamesh's mistress.
8. What section of the book is the table of contents for the book's figures?
(a) The Abbreviations.
(b) The Prefaces.
(c) The List of Figures.
(d) The Sigla.
9. What does Atrahasis bring onto his boat besides people?
(a) The altar from Ellil's temple.
(b) The Sebitti.
(d) Rocks for the gods.
10. From which civilization do these myths originate?
11. On their journey to the Pine Forest, what plagues Gilgamesh?
(b) Terrible dreams.
12. When Namtar is sent from the Underworld to argue with the gods for Nergal's return, what does Ereshkigal reveal?
(a) She was raped.
(b) She is dying.
(c) She has been planning on poisoning Nergal for his obstinance.
(d) She is pregnant.
13. What is the station of the god or goddess who creates man?
(a) The hearth-goddess.
(b) The earth-goddess.
(c) The womb-goddess.
(d) The heart-goddess.
14. What do Anu and Ellil agree to do for the other gods?
(a) Allow them to marry.
(b) Share their power.
(c) Lighten their workload.
(d) Allow them to switch vocations.
15. What offer does Gilgamesh refuse from Ishtar?
Short Answer Questions
1. When sent from the Underworld, why is Namtar unable to locate Nergal?
2. In the Amarna version of Nergal and Ereshkigal's story, what does Ea send to the Underworld with Nergal?
3. In the Armana version, what does Nergal do to Namtar when he reaches the final door to the Underworld?
4. How does Ut-napishtium prove to Gilgamesh how many days the latter man slept?
5. What reason is given for parts of these myths being missing?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)