|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What mercy does Ea grant to Gilgamesh in response to the man's prayers?
(a) He allows Gilgamesh to become immortal.
(b) He allows Enkidu to bid Gilgamesh a final farewell.
(c) He allows Gilgamesh to marry.
(d) He allows Enkidu to return from the underworld.
2. What reason is given for parts of these myths being missing?
(a) Some of the paintings were missing.
(b) The tapestries had been partially burned.
(c) The tablets were partially destroyed.
(d) The pottery had been shattered.
3. For what errand does Ea create the man called Good-Looks?
(a) Good-Looks is to fetch waters of life from Ereshkigal.
(b) Good-Looks is to distract Ereshkigal so that Ishtar may escape.
(c) Good-Looks is to torment Ishtar.
(d) Good-Looks is to reprimand Ereshkigal and Ishtar for their feud.
4. What theory does the author suggest as the origin for the tale of Atrahasis?
(a) It is an explanation for why the priestesses of Shamash were never allowed to have children.
(b) It explains why water is so revered in the Mesopotamian culture.
(c) It explains why New Years is a celebration all around the world.
(d) It explains how the rivers Tigris and Euphrates were formed.
5. What does Atrahasis bring onto his boat besides people?
(a) Rocks for the gods.
(b) The altar from Ellil's temple.
(c) The Sebitti.
6. What is the station of the god or goddess who creates man?
(a) The womb-goddess.
(b) The hearth-goddess.
(c) The earth-goddess.
(d) The heart-goddess.
7. Who is Namtar?
(a) Ereshkigal's lover.
(b) Ereshkigal's vizier.
(c) Ereshkigal's judge.
(d) Ereshkigal's brother.
8. What do Anu and Ellil agree to do for the other gods?
(a) Share their power.
(b) Allow them to switch vocations.
(c) Lighten their workload.
(d) Allow them to marry.
9. What god is sacrificed in order to create man?
10. In terms of population control, what do the gods agree to do with women?
(a) Women will have to pray to the gods to get pregnant.
(b) Women will only be able to have sex once a month.
(c) Women will have to ask permission of the holy men to become pregnant.
(d) Not all women will be able to or allowed to give birth.
11. What happens to the plant Gilgamesh took from the Apsu?
(a) It is stolen by Ishtar.
(b) It is eaten by Gilgamesh in a trick from Ishtar.
(c) It is stolen by a snake.
(d) It is lost in a storm.
12. What do the gods, at the end of Atrahasis's story, amend in every living human?
(a) Life span.
(b) Free will.
(c) The ability to reason.
(d) Their soul.
13. About what does Ea question Nergal upon the arrival of Namtar?
(a) Nergal spat on Namtar upon his arrival.
(b) Nergal slapped Namtar in the face.
(c) Nergal refused to look Namtar in the eyes.
(d) Nergal did not bow to Namtar.
14. What does Belili offer in order to help her brother, Dumuzi?
(a) Belili will take Dumuzi's place in the Underworld for half the year.
(b) Belili will take Dumuzi's place in the Underworld one month a year.
(c) Belili will take over Dumuzi's duties above the Underworld.
(d) Belili will assist Ereshkigal so that the queen may occasionally leave the Underworld.
15. What ancient text is not listed as having being inspired by these myths?
(a) The Illiad.
(b) The Old Testament.
(c) The Qur'an.
(d) Arabian Nights.
Short Answer Questions
1. What biblical character is similar to Atrahasis?
2. In what tradition where these myths originally related?
3. What Phoenician god might be based on the legend of Ereshkigal and Nergal?
4. In the Babylonian version of Gilgamesh's story, what incites the battle between Gilgamesh and Enkidu?
5. How many gates must one pass through to reach Kurnugi?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)