|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tool, in this book, explains how these myths came about?
(a) The Abbreviations.
(b) The Sigla.
(c) The Figures.
(d) The Prefaces.
2. Fill in the blank: The ancient civilization of these myths can be found between the Tigris and the _______.
(c) Amu Darya.
3. What does Belili offer in order to help her brother, Dumuzi?
(a) Belili will take over Dumuzi's duties above the Underworld.
(b) Belili will assist Ereshkigal so that the queen may occasionally leave the Underworld.
(c) Belili will take Dumuzi's place in the Underworld one month a year.
(d) Belili will take Dumuzi's place in the Underworld for half the year.
4. What facet of mankind annoys Ellil to the point where he nearly casts a plague upon them?
(a) Their noise.
(b) Their questions.
(c) Their smells.
(d) Their disrespect.
5. What is the result of Enkidu and Gilgamesh's brutal battle?
(a) Enkidu falls and becomes Gilgamesh's servant.
(b) They become enemies.
(c) Gilgamesh is felled by Enkidu and pledges his servitude to him.
(d) They become friends.
6. When Nergal travels to the Underworld, to what story is the description of his descent similar?
(a) Ishtar's descent.
(b) Gilgamesh's search for immortality.
(c) Atrahasis and the flood.
(d) Enkidu's escape from the Underworld.
7. What biblical character is similar to Atrahasis?
8. After Gilgamesh passes through the mountains, what creatures does Gilgamesh mistakenly kill?
(a) The taklimtu.
(b) The stone creatures.
(c) The Gorgons.
(d) The Sebitti.
9. How many gates must one pass through to reach Kurnugi?
10. On their journey to the Pine Forest, what plagues Gilgamesh?
(a) Terrible dreams.
11. What does Enki give Belet-ili?
12. For what reason, in the story of Atrahasis, do the gods create man?
(a) They are tired of doing all of the work on their own.
(b) The gods were bored.
(c) The gods were lonely without anyone to lead.
(d) They were hoping to run an experiment.
13. How long do Nergal and Ereshkigal make love?
(a) Six days.
(b) Four days.
(c) Five days.
(d) Three days.
14. In what modern country can the ancient civilization of these myths be found?
15. On what condition does Ereshkigal allow Ishtar entrance to Kurnugi?
(a) She must follow the ancient rites.
(b) She must be polite.
(c) She must marry the first man she sees after exiting the Underworld.
(d) She must apologize for her transgressions against Ereshkigal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What theory does the author suggest as the origin for the tale of Atrahasis?
2. When Nergal returns to the Underworld on his own, what happens when he finds Ereshkigal?
3. How does Ellil first punish mankind in the story of Atrahasis?
4. What ancient text is not listed as having being inspired by these myths?
5. Why is Nergal sent to the Underworld?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)