|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Will Johnson's heart surgery, what did his wife and daughter read to him?
2. After Cameron's surgery, how long would the surgeon take care of him on the surgical service?
3. By 1989, how many HIV-infected patients were in Abraham's practice?
4. How long would it take the Johnson's to drive to Johnson City?
5. What baseball team was Norman's passion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Abraham furious and humiliated after talking with the Miracle Center administrator?
2. What does Bess Johnson mean when she says that the surgeon was an "outspoken Christian"?
3. What miracle did Norman Sanger witness when he was in his teens?
4. What did an intern warn Bess Johnson about?
5. Why was Rajani reluctant about the move to Iowa?
6. Who was Lorraine Day, and what did she say about AIDS?
7. Why does Abraham believe that HIV is a disease that has been imported to east Tennessee?
8. What was the uniform of gay men in the 1970s?
9. What experience did Petie Granger and his mother have when they visited the family physician?
10. Why was Abraham faced with a dilemma when any of his HIV-infected patients required surgery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from "My Own Country", discuss the reasons why Abraham decided to specialize in infectious diseases.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Abraham's view of the physician-patient relationship with the views of other doctors mentioned in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from "My Own Country", compare and contrast the reactions of families when they learned that a family member was HIV-infected.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)