|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject did Abraham's parents teach?
2. What was Fred Goodson's occupation when he met Abraham?
3. Where were Abraham's parents born?
4. What was Abraham's favorite doughnut?
5. What type of work did Abraham do when his medical education was interrupted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were church services like for Abraham in Ethiopia?
2. What inspired Fred Goodson to lose weight when he was in college?
3. What lingers in his mind when Abraham thinks back to his first AIDS patients?
4. What were two problems with the foreign physicians that the staff at the Mountain Home VA had to deal with?
5. Describe what Abraham saw when he went to the cemetery where Gordon was buried.
6. What did Abraham learn about unexplained fevers in AIDS patients as he gained experience?
7. A young man is taken to the ER on August 11, 1985; how do his parents react when they learn he has AIDS?
8. Why did the barns of Tennessee fascinate Abraham?
9. How did the nurses treat Gordon at the hospital?
10. What were the rural hospitals like where Abraham would work in small emergency rooms on weekends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Will Johnson Jr. is frustrated when a foreign physician forces his mother-in-law to stop helping Will Johnson Sr. Discuss why Will Johnson Jr. is frustrated with some foreign physicians.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the meaning of the book's title and how it relates to Abraham's search for a country. Use examples from "My Own Country".
Essay Topic 3
Explain the conflict that Abraham struggled with concerning his desire to help his patients as much as possible without taking away time from his family.
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)