|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Death say he is in town looking for?
(a) An orphanage is about to catch on fire.
(b) An apprentice.
(c) A man who is about to choke on a piece of meat pie.
(d) A old wizard came into town and is about out of time.
2. What does Death say he has done with Mort's father?
(a) Put him into a dream state.
(b) Wiped his memory away.
(c) Set him outside time for a moment.
(d) Frozen him.
3. What does Ysabell explain about her age?
(a) She has been sixteen for thirty-five years.
(b) She is in her early twenties but looks much younger.
(c) She is aging backwards.
(d) She is not sure of her real age.
4. What does Mort see when he looks in Death's empty eye sockets?
(b) Two blue stars.
(c) Souls of the departed.
(d) A wide array of far off visions.
5. What task does Death give Mort on Mort's first day after Mort admits that he wishes to know the secrets of the universe?
(a) Start studying Death's memoirs.
(b) Dig potatoes.
(c) Clean the kitchen.
(d) Shovel horse dung.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Death say about his job?
2. What does Lezek speculate might be one thing that people look at when choosing an apprentice?
3. What does Ysabell explain that everything in Death's home is?
4. Who does Mort see a painting of when he enters the tavern?
5. Who does Goodie say that Death does like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Mort and Ysabell tell each other on the way to the pond.
2. What does Mort tell Ysabell about his trouble and what does she respond?
3. Describe Keli's meeting with the wizard.
4. What does Death explain to Mort about interfering in the natural course of events?
5. Describe the relationship between Albert and Death as seen by Mort?
6. Describe the difficulty that Keli soon finds that she is having?
7. Describe what happens when Mort is waiting to become an apprentice.
8. Describe what is going through Mort's mind when he first wakes up in Death's home.
9. What does Ysabell explain about her relationship with Death and her life there with him?
10. Why does Lezek decide to take his son to town to become an apprentice?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)