|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How large was Obed Ramotswe's herd?
2. What sign do secrets leave on the face?
3. What characterizes a bad girl?
4. What might prevent Motholeli from having children?
5. What does Mma Ramotswe notice about the stew?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mma Ramotswe use her discretion?
2. What is on Mma Makutsi's mind at the end of chapter 15?
3. What is the relationship between compassion and morality here?
4. What happens in Chapter 9?
5. What opinion on morality between genders is implied?
6. How does this actually reflect on Mma Ramotswe?
7. How do the two different investigations parallel?
8. What is the significance of Mma Ramotswe's surge of grief?
9. How do the characters view the past?
10. Does the narrative similarly imply that Mma Makutsi is beautiful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mma Ramotswe talks about how much she loves living in Africa. Discuss her motivations. Why does she want to live there?
Essay Topic 2
If the book were being made into a film, how could McCall Smith's literary style be reflected in film? Would the book make a good film?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main characters, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)