|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which smell does Mma Ramotswe find marvelous?
2. What did the Government instruct people to do during the last bad drought?
3. How does Mma Ramotswe feel about dogs?
4. Why was marriage once a trap for women?
5. What needs its brakes constantly checked at the orphan farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Patricia's beauty?
2. What connection is there to the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency?
3. How do the characters view the past?
4. What is on Mma Makutsi's mind at the end of chapter 15?
5. How does the story of the Governmant Man progress?
6. How does Mma Ramotswe's task compare to Mma Makutsi's?
7. How do the two different investigations parallel?
8. What is the significance of the bride's father being named?
9. What is the significance of Mma Ramotswe's surge of grief?
10. What happens in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the opening chapters say about Mma Ramotswe's character? What goals does she have to achieve? How close does her character get to achieving those goals?
Essay Topic 2
If the book were being made into a film, how could McCall Smith's literary style be reflected in film? Would the book make a good film?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the narrative's chronological setting. What were the main concerns during this period? How does the author express these concerns? What would change if the narrative were set today?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)