|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can be used to end a pregnancy?
2. Why is the cook poisoning the family?
3. What can't people in town usually afford?
4. Why is the cook not contented?
5. Who made the fruitcake?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the characters view the past?
2. What is the significance of Mma Ramotswe's nostalgia?
3. What connection is there to the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency?
4. What opinion on morality between genders is implied?
5. What is the relationship between compassion and morality here?
6. How does Mma Ramotswe use her discretion?
7. What happens in Chapter 9?
8. Does Mma Makutsi parallel this deceit?
9. What is on Mma Makutsi's mind at the end of chapter 15?
10. What is the significance of Mma Ramotswe's surge of grief?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does McCall Smith depict the Botswana society in the book? How does today's society view McCall Smith's depiction of Africa? Do you think his portrayal is accurate?
Essay Topic 2
If the book were being made into a film, how could McCall Smith's literary style be reflected in film? Would the book make a good film?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)