|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does Mma Potokwane use with Mataila?
2. What will Mma Ramotswe bring according to the young woman?
3. Why is Botswana so dry?
4. What can't people in town usually afford?
5. What does Mma Ramotswe first see in Mataila's eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mma Ramotswe use her discretion?
2. How does the story of the Governmant Man progress?
3. What is the relationship between compassion and morality here?
4. What is the significance of Mma Ramotswe's surge of grief?
5. Does Mma Makutsi parallel this deceit?
6. What opinion on morality between genders is implied?
7. How does the narrative imply that Motholeli is beautiful?
8. What happens in Chapter 9?
9. What similar technique is used by both women?
10. What evidence is there of the theme of compassion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the narrative's chronological setting. What were the main concerns during this period? How does the author express these concerns? What would change if the narrative were set today?
Essay Topic 2
How does McCall Smith depict the Botswana society in the book? How does today's society view McCall Smith's depiction of Africa? Do you think his portrayal is accurate?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two of the following characters and discuss how the narrative would be affected if they were left out.
1. Obed Ramotswe.
2. JLB Matekoni.
3. Mma Makutsi.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)