|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do foreigners learn about Botswana when they criticize someone?
2. What can no mother dislike?
3. Why is Mma Ramotswe surprised that the cook left Gaborone?
4. What does Mr Potolani do with the profit from his stores?
5. How large was Obed Ramotswe's herd?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Mma Ramotswe's surge of grief?
2. Does the narrative similarly imply that Mma Makutsi is beautiful?
3. How do the two different investigations parallel?
4. How does this actually reflect on Mma Ramotswe?
5. What is the significance of the scorpion story?
6. Does the narrative suggest deceit as a tactic?
7. What connection is there to the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency?
8. What is the relationship between compassion and morality here?
9. How does Chapter 17 start?
10. How do the characters view the past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Mma Ramotswe has differing rapport with each of the characters she encounters. Who does she like and why? Who does she not like and why?
Essay Topic 3
The book is written in third person narrative. Why do you think McCall Smith chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the first person?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)