|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has a sweet tooth?
2. Why is Mma Ramotswe surprised that Mma Kerileng cannot handle Mataila?
3. What characteristic does give Mma Potokwane give Motholeli?
4. Why is the cook poisoning the family?
5. How do the rains look this year?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the characters view the past?
2. What is the significance of Mma Ramotswe's surge of grief?
3. What is the significance of the scorpion story?
4. What connection is there to the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency?
5. Does the narrative similarly imply that Mma Makutsi is beautiful?
6. What is the significance of Patricia's beauty?
7. What happens in Chapter 9?
8. Does the narrative suggest deceit as a tactic?
9. How does Mma Ramotswe use her discretion?
10. What evidence is there of the theme of compassion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative? Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the narrative's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Mma Makutsi's character to the person she was at the beginning of the book to the she is at the end.
1. What did she hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes her ideas about life?
3. How has her character changed by the end of the book?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)