|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did Natalya intend to marry Vera?
2. What caused Natalya and Beliayev not to be friends previously?
3. Vera realizes in Act 4, Part 2, that which character was "jealous" of her?
4. Whose sketches did Kolya show Natalya?
5. Natalya states that what is sometimes "worse than rudeness"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the cultural view of marriage in the play. Which characters act within the cultural expectations regarding marriage? Which ones do not? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Natalya's thoughts about Beliayev in Act 1 with her thoughts about him in Act 5. How has her perception of him changed?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Rakitin's willingness to help Shpigelski match Vera and Bolshintsov with his willingness to help Natalya overcome her infatuation with Beliayev.
This section contains 149 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)