|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Liza in Act 4, Part 1, which character "took dinner alone in her room"?
2. What are the last words that Natalya says to Beliayev in Act 3, Part 3?
3. Who describes himself as a "ladykiller"?
4. To whom did Beliayev write a note of farewell?
5. Natalya insists in Act 3, Part 3, that Rakitin say nothing about her to whom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the cultural view of marriage in the play. Which characters act within the cultural expectations regarding marriage? Which ones do not? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of Katya and the setting in which she has a modicum of control.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Natalya's thoughts about Beliayev in Act 1 with her thoughts about him in Act 5. How has her perception of him changed?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)