|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Act 4, Part 3, what is waiting inside for the characters?
2. Whom does Islayev describe as "an absolutely splendid man"?
3. Natalya insists in Act 3, Part 3, that Rakitin say nothing about her to whom?
4. Who has to confess a secret in Act 5, Part 1?
5. Natalya states that she is firing Beliayev on the basis of whose testimony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Turgenev uses minor characters for comic relief in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Natalya's tendency to manipulate others, and then compare it with what happens when Vera manipulates her.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of youth versus old age, including specific examples of its occurrence in the play.
This section contains 131 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)