|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what were Shpigelski and Bolshintsov supposedly searching in the garden?
2. What does Beliayev intend to shoot in the garden?
3. What does Natalya like about Shpigelski?
4. Whom does Natalya accuse of being "mysterious"?
5. Which novel did Beliayev translate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Rakitin so happy in Act 1, Part 2?
2. Describe Rakitin's plan for solving Natalya's predicament regarding Beliayev.
3. In Act 1, Part 2, how does Shpigelski respond to the question, "How are you?"
4. In Act 3, Part 3, why does Rakitin beg Islayev and Anna to leave Natalya alone for the moment?
5. Why does Natalya not invite Shpigelski, Rakitin, and Bolshintsov to go fly the kite?
6. Describe what Islayev does for a living.
7. Why does Beliayev reject Vera's suggestion that he call her Verochka?
8. According to Act 2, Part 1, why do Vera and Beliayev get along so well? Explain.
9. Summarize Beliayev's response to Natalya's revelation that Vera is in love with him.
10. Why does Natalya say to Rakitin, "It's wrong to put one's life in chains"? What does she mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Islayev and Anna are so upset and confused when they see Natalya crying with Rakitin.
Essay Topic 2
How are characters' alliances formed and broken during the play? Who normally allies with whom? How do unusual pairings affect events? Explain, defending your position with specific evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the cultural view of marriage in the play. Which characters act within the cultural expectations regarding marriage? Which ones do not? Explain.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)