|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Rakitin, which character has recently been "constantly irritated"?
2. With which character did Natalya want to talk in Act 2, Part 2?
3. According to Islayev, who "lacks [...] love for his job"?
4. Who enters at the end of Act 1, Part 1?
5. Which characters see Vera and Beliayev in the garden together in Act 2, Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Anna's advice to Islayev, as discussed in Act 5, Part 1.
2. Summarize Natalya's soliloquy at the end of Act 3, Part 3, regarding her immediately preceding conversation with Beliayev.
3. What conclusion does Rakitin draw in Act 4, Part 3, after he inquires about Natalya's decision and Natalya says, "What decision? ... I don't understand"?
4. What is the plan that Rakitin and Beliayev have devised for leaving Natalya's household?
5. What is the advice Shpigelski gives Bolshintsov regarding wooing women?
6. Describe what happens between Matvey and Katya at the beginning of Act 2, Part 1.
7. Why is Natalya astonished by the thought of her husband at the end of Act 3, Part 1?
8. Why do Natalya and Rakitin resolve to "educate" Beliayev?
9. How does Rakitin depict love to Beliayev in Act 5, Part 1?
10. Why does Natalya insist in Act 3, Part 2, that Vera imagine her as a sister?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship of Katya and Matvey and how it parallels the relationships of other characters.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the significance of Katya and Anna in propelling the plot forward.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Turgenev uses minor characters for comic relief in the play.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)