|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Beliayev's favorite part of a newspaper?
2. For what does Kolya request some glue?
3. What do Natalya's relatives call her?
4. Which character sometimes says "bed and brutter" instead of "bread and butter"?
5. Whom does Natalya call "a great cynic"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Shpigelski's song at the end of Act 4, Part 1 relate to Natalya's problem with Beliayev and Vera?
2. Summarize the story that Shpigelski relates in Act 1, Part 2.
3. Why is Islayev surprised to find Natalya and Rakitin in the hallway in Act 4, Part 3?
4. Why does Shpigelski pretend to be witty and cheerful around his patients?
5. Describe the difference between Rakitin's and Islayev's plans for Rakitin to leave.
6. For what does Shpigelski ask Rakitin's help? Why?
7. Why does Natalya insist in Act 3, Part 2, that Vera imagine her as a sister?
8. Describe what Islayev does for a living.
9. Explain what Rakitin means by this line: "What does all this mean? Is it the beginning of the end, or the end itself? [...] Or is it the beginning, perhaps?"
10. Summarize Anna's advice to Islayev, as discussed in Act 5, Part 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of jealousy in the play.
Essay Topic 2
List all the characters who choose to leave Natalya's household and why. What effect will this exodus have on the characters who remain in the household?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of Katya and the setting in which she has a modicum of control.
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)