|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character does Shpigelski call grandmother?
2. Who says that talking to Rakitin is like "making lace"?
3. Where did Beliayev live before coming to Natalya's house?
4. What type of weather does Rakitin mention in Act 1, Part 2?
5. Natalya believes that she and Rakitin are old in comparison to whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Shpigelski's assessment of whether or not Rakitin is dangerous to Natalya's family.
2. Describe the setting of Act 4, Part 1, and how the characters use it.
3. How does Rakitin depict love to Beliayev in Act 5, Part 1?
4. Describe Beliayev's opinion of writers.
5. What is the advice Shpigelski gives Bolshintsov regarding wooing women?
6. Describe the progress of the game that Schaaf, Anna, and Liza are playing.
7. What is the question that Natalya asks Rakitin in Act 1, Part 1, and why does he spend so much time thinking about it?
8. Describe what happens between Matvey and Katya at the beginning of Act 2, Part 1.
9. Why does Natalya insist to Shpigelski that Vera is still a child?
10. Why do Natalya and Rakitin resolve to "educate" Beliayev?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Explain in detail how Natalya's fickleness regarding Bolshintsov and Vera affects the course of events.
Essay Topic 2Discuss the theme of jealousy in the play.
Essay Topic 3Explain the role of soliloquy in the play and how it affects readers' knowledge of events.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)