|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Rakitin call a "stupid, fat, lumbering man"?
2. What game are the characters playing in Act 1, Part 1?
3. What did Natalya's father call her?
4. Which novel did Beliayev translate?
5. What does Vera suggest that Beliayev call her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the plan that Rakitin and Beliayev have devised for leaving Natalya's household?
2. Summarize Shpigelski's assessment of whether or not Rakitin is dangerous to Natalya's family.
3. Describe the relationship between Natalya and Rakitin, as it stands in Act 1, Part 2.
4. For what does Natalya ask Rakitin's help in Act 3, Part 1? How does Rakitin respond?
5. What is the question that Natalya asks Rakitin in Act 1, Part 1, and why does he spend so much time thinking about it?
6. Describe Natalya's childhood.
7. Summarize Anna's advice to Islayev, as discussed in Act 5, Part 1.
8. Describe the difference between Rakitin's and Islayev's plans for Rakitin to leave.
9. Why do Natalya and Rakitin resolve to "educate" Beliayev?
10. Why does Beliayev reject Vera's suggestion that he call her Verochka?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Natalya's thoughts about Beliayev in Act 1 with her thoughts about him in Act 5. How has her perception of him changed?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Islayev and Anna are so upset and confused when they see Natalya crying with Rakitin.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of soliloquy in the play and how it affects readers' knowledge of events.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)