|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beliayev intend to shoot in the garden?
2. In Act 2, Part 1, who reports having burst into tears unexpectedly?
3. Which character does Rakitin love?
4. For what were Shpigelski and Bolshintsov supposedly searching in the garden?
5. From what book does Rakitin read aloud?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to his soliloquy in Act 4, Part 2, what does Beliayev think about the events that have transpired with Natalya and Vera?
2. What is the plan that Rakitin and Beliayev have devised for leaving Natalya's household?
3. What is the advice Shpigelski gives Bolshintsov regarding wooing women?
4. What caused Vera to realize that Natalya is in love with Beliayev? Explain.
5. Summarize Beliayev's response to Natalya's revelation that Vera is in love with him.
6. Why is Rakitin reading The Count of Monte Cristo aloud?
7. Describe the difference between Rakitin's and Islayev's plans for Rakitin to leave.
8. According to Act 2, Part 1, why do Vera and Beliayev get along so well? Explain.
9. In Act 2, Part 2, when Natalya is speaking with Rakitin, why does she move the conversation from a discussion of her behavior to a discussion of Bolshintsov?
10. Why does Shpigelski state that he believes Natalya's level of bile is bothering her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of soliloquy in the play and how it affects readers' knowledge of events.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of youth versus old age, including specific examples of its occurrence in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Natalya's thoughts about Beliayev in Act 1 with her thoughts about him in Act 5. How has her perception of him changed?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)