Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which characters see Vera and Beliayev in the garden together in Act 2, Part 2?
2. Rakitin states that he is "like wax in your hands" to whom?
3. What game are the characters playing in Act 1, Part 1?
4. What is the name of the carpenter who is working on Islayev's project?
5. What does Beliayev intend to shoot in the garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Anna's advice to Islayev, as discussed in Act 5, Part 1.
2. Describe Rakitin's plan for solving Natalya's predicament regarding Beliayev.
3. Why does Natalya not invite Shpigelski, Rakitin, and Bolshintsov to go fly the kite?
4. According to his soliloquy in Act 4, Part 2, what does Beliayev think about the events that have transpired with Natalya and Vera?
5. Why does Shpigelski pretend to be witty and cheerful around his patients?
6. Why is Islayev surprised to find Natalya and Rakitin in the hallway in Act 4, Part 3?
7. What is the advice Shpigelski gives Bolshintsov regarding wooing women?
8. Why does Shpigelski state that he believes Natalya's level of bile is bothering her?
9. Describe the relationship between Natalya and Rakitin, as it stands in Act 1, Part 2.
10. When Natalya interrupts the conversation between Vera and Beliayev in Act 4, Part 2, how does she react to Vera's accusations?
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Turgenev uses minor characters for comic relief in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of fruit in the play, and offer at least one other example of an object that has some significance.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Shpigelski's behavior around his patients, particularly the wealthy patients such as Natalya, with his perception of himself, as stated to Liza in Act 4.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)