|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Shpigelski, what is bothering Natalya in addition to her nerves?
2. Which character does Rakitin love?
3. How old is Beliayev?
4. According to Shpigelski, what is the "main thing in marriage"?
5. Whom had Rakitin been visiting before coming to Natalya's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Rakitin so happy in Act 1, Part 2?
2. Why does Natalya believe that it's improper for Vera to be in the garden by herself with Beliayev?
3. Why does Beliayev reject Vera's suggestion that he call her Verochka?
4. Why does Shpigelski state that he believes Natalya's level of bile is bothering her?
5. Why does Natalya insist in Act 3, Part 2, that Vera imagine her as a sister?
6. Why does Shpigelski say that he and Bolshintsov were searching for mushrooms?
7. Why do Natalya and Rakitin resolve to "educate" Beliayev?
8. Describe Natalya's confession to Beliayev in Act 4, Part 3.
9. In her soliloquy in the middle of Act 3, Part 3, how does Natalya assess her relationship with Rakitin and with Beliayev?
10. Describe Rakitin's plan for solving Natalya's predicament regarding Beliayev.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Shpigelski's behavior around his patients, particularly the wealthy patients such as Natalya, with his perception of himself, as stated to Liza in Act 4.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Rakitin's willingness to help Shpigelski match Vera and Bolshintsov with his willingness to help Natalya overcome her infatuation with Beliayev.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Islayev and Anna are so upset and confused when they see Natalya crying with Rakitin.
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)