|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the carpenter who is working on Islayev's project?
2. Who is Schaaf's partner in the card game?
3. In Act 3, Part 1, Natalya confesses that she is infatuated with which character?
4. What does Natalya primarily want for Kolya?
5. According to Natalya, what is one of nature's primary characteristics?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Act 2, Part 1, why do Vera and Beliayev get along so well? Explain.
2. Describe Beliayev, according to Natalya's report in Act 1, Part 1.
3. What is the advice Shpigelski gives Bolshintsov regarding wooing women?
4. Why does Natalya insist in Act 3, Part 2, that Vera imagine her as a sister?
5. Summarize the story that Shpigelski relates in Act 1, Part 2.
6. Describe what Islayev does for a living.
7. Why does Vera decide to marry Bolshintsov?
8. Summarize Anna's advice to Islayev, as discussed in Act 5, Part 1.
9. Why does Katya insist that Beliayev take all her raspberries?
10. Why does Natalya send Vera away so suddenly in Act 3, Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List all the characters who choose to leave Natalya's household and why. What effect will this exodus have on the characters who remain in the household?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Shpigelski's behavior around his patients, particularly the wealthy patients such as Natalya, with his perception of himself, as stated to Liza in Act 4.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of soliloquy in the play and how it affects readers' knowledge of events.
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)