|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 3, Part 1, Natalya confesses that she is infatuated with which character?
2. Whose illness did Shpigelski intend to treat in Act 1, Part 3?
3. Which female character takes snuff?
4. Whom had Rakitin been visiting before coming to Natalya's house?
5. Who made Kolya a bow and arrows?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Islayev surprised to find Natalya and Rakitin in the hallway in Act 4, Part 3?
2. How does Shpigelski's song at the end of Act 4, Part 1 relate to Natalya's problem with Beliayev and Vera?
3. Why does Natalya suddenly seem to consider Shpigelski's matchmaking possibility at the end of Act 1, Part 3?
4. Describe what happens between Matvey and Katya at the beginning of Act 2, Part 1.
5. What is Vera's relationship to Natalya's household? How does Natalya characterize that relationship "in the eyes of the world" when she and Vera are talking in Act 3, Part 2?
6. Why does Natalya believe that it's improper for Vera to be in the garden by herself with Beliayev?
7. According to his soliloquy in Act 4, Part 2, what does Beliayev think about the events that have transpired with Natalya and Vera?
8. Summarize Shpigelski's assessment of whether or not Rakitin is dangerous to Natalya's family.
9. Why does Vera decide to marry Bolshintsov?
10. Why does Katya insist that Beliayev take all her raspberries?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of soliloquy in the play and how it affects readers' knowledge of events.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of jealousy in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Shpigelski's behavior around his patients, particularly the wealthy patients such as Natalya, with his perception of himself, as stated to Liza in Act 4.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)