|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beliayev intend to shoot in the garden?
2. How long have Rakitin and Natalya known each other?
3. What was Dufour's country of origin?
4. What game are the characters playing in Act 1, Part 1?
5. Who plans to be Natalya's partner in "educating" Beliayev?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to his soliloquy in Act 4, Part 2, what does Beliayev think about the events that have transpired with Natalya and Vera?
2. Describe Beliayev, according to Natalya's report in Act 1, Part 1.
3. What is the advice Shpigelski gives Bolshintsov regarding wooing women?
4. According to Act 4, Part 3, what is Beliayev's reason for not having been personable with Natalya previously?
5. Why does Liza say at the end of Act 5 that she, too, will be leaving?
6. Describe the progress of the game that Schaaf, Anna, and Liza are playing.
7. Summarize Natalya's soliloquy at the end of Act 3, Part 3, regarding her immediately preceding conversation with Beliayev.
8. In Act 2, Part 2, when Natalya is speaking with Rakitin, why does she move the conversation from a discussion of her behavior to a discussion of Bolshintsov?
9. Why does Natalya insist in Act 3, Part 2, that Vera imagine her as a sister?
10. Why does Shpigelski pretend to be witty and cheerful around his patients?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of fruit in the play, and offer at least one other example of an object that has some significance.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of foreshadowing in the play, using specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship of Katya and Matvey and how it parallels the relationships of other characters.
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)