|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What friend has been writing to Vera, hoping that she'll write back?
2. For what does Beliayev want to buy gunpowder?
3. In Act 2, Part 3, which character is jealous of Natalya's affections?
4. What is Schaaf carrying in Act 2, Part 1?
5. In Act 2, Part 1, who reports having burst into tears unexpectedly?
Short Essay Questions
1. In her soliloquy in the middle of Act 3, Part 3, how does Natalya assess her relationship with Rakitin and with Beliayev?
2. Why does Liza say at the end of Act 5 that she, too, will be leaving?
3. How does Rakitin depict love to Beliayev in Act 5, Part 1?
4. Why does Shpigelski say that he and Bolshintsov were searching for mushrooms?
5. Why does Natalya suddenly seem to consider Shpigelski's matchmaking possibility at the end of Act 1, Part 3?
6. What does Katya think about the possible marriage of Shpigelski and Liza?
7. What is Vera's relationship to Natalya's household? How does Natalya characterize that relationship "in the eyes of the world" when she and Vera are talking in Act 3, Part 2?
8. Describe the difference between Rakitin's and Islayev's plans for Rakitin to leave.
9. According to his soliloquy in Act 4, Part 2, what does Beliayev think about the events that have transpired with Natalya and Vera?
10. For what does Natalya ask Rakitin's help in Act 3, Part 1? How does Rakitin respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of jealousy in the play.
Essay Topic 2
List all the characters who choose to leave Natalya's household and why. What effect will this exodus have on the characters who remain in the household?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of youth versus old age, including specific examples of its occurrence in the play.
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)