|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wants Katya to marry him?
2. How far is it from Bolshintsov's village to Natalya's house?
3. According to Islayev, who "lacks [...] love for his job"?
4. Where did Beliayev live before coming to Natalya's house?
5. Who is going to teach Kolya to swim?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Anna's advice to Islayev, as discussed in Act 5, Part 1.
2. What does Natalya mean when she tells Rakitin, "Sometimes when we talk together it's exactly as though [...] we were making lace"?
3. Why did Islayev never previously intervene in the relationship between Natalya and Rakitin?
4. Why does Katya insist that Beliayev take all her raspberries?
5. Describe Natalya's confession to Beliayev in Act 4, Part 3.
6. Describe Beliayev, according to Natalya's report in Act 1, Part 1.
7. Describe Rakitin's plan for solving Natalya's predicament regarding Beliayev.
8. What is the advice Shpigelski gives Bolshintsov regarding wooing women?
9. Why does Liza say at the end of Act 5 that she, too, will be leaving?
10. For what does Natalya ask Rakitin's help in Act 3, Part 1? How does Rakitin respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the significance of Katya and Anna in propelling the plot forward.
Essay Topic 2
List all the characters who choose to leave Natalya's household and why. What effect will this exodus have on the characters who remain in the household?
Essay Topic 3
How are characters' alliances formed and broken during the play? Who normally allies with whom? How do unusual pairings affect events? Explain, defending your position with specific evidence from the text.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)