|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Beliayev want to buy gunpowder?
2. Whom does Natalya call "a great cynic"?
3. What game are the characters playing in Act 1, Part 1?
4. From what book does Rakitin read aloud?
5. Which character sometimes says "bed and brutter" instead of "bread and butter"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In her soliloquy in the middle of Act 3, Part 3, how does Natalya assess her relationship with Rakitin and with Beliayev?
2. Describe Natalya's confession to Beliayev in Act 4, Part 3.
3. Why do Natalya and Rakitin resolve to "educate" Beliayev?
4. Why does Liza say at the end of Act 5 that she, too, will be leaving?
5. In Act 2, Part 2, when Natalya is speaking with Rakitin, why does she move the conversation from a discussion of her behavior to a discussion of Bolshintsov?
6. Describe Beliayev, according to Natalya's report in Act 1, Part 1.
7. What conclusion does Rakitin draw in Act 4, Part 3, after he inquires about Natalya's decision and Natalya says, "What decision? ... I don't understand"?
8. Why does Shpigelski pretend to be witty and cheerful around his patients?
9. Describe Beliayev's opinion of writers.
10. Describe the relationship between Natalya and Rakitin, as it stands in Act 1, Part 2.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Natalya's tendency to manipulate others, and then compare it with what happens when Vera manipulates her.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of youth versus old age, including specific examples of its occurrence in the play.
Essay Topic 3
List all the characters who choose to leave Natalya's household and why. What effect will this exodus have on the characters who remain in the household?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)