|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Beliayev want to buy gunpowder?
2. What friend has been writing to Vera, hoping that she'll write back?
3. What does Natalya primarily want for Kolya?
4. Who sings a song in Act 2, Part 1?
5. According to Rakitin in Act 1, Part 1, where did he see Islayev earlier in the day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Natalya suddenly seem to consider Shpigelski's matchmaking possibility at the end of Act 1, Part 3?
2. Why does Katya insist that Beliayev take all her raspberries?
3. According to Act 4, Part 3, what is Beliayev's reason for not having been personable with Natalya previously?
4. Describe the relationship between Natalya and Rakitin, as it stands in Act 1, Part 2.
5. Explain what Rakitin means by this line: "What does all this mean? Is it the beginning of the end, or the end itself? [...] Or is it the beginning, perhaps?"
6. Summarize Anna's advice to Islayev, as discussed in Act 5, Part 1.
7. How does Rakitin depict love to Beliayev in Act 5, Part 1?
8. For what does Natalya ask Rakitin's help in Act 3, Part 1? How does Rakitin respond?
9. Why does Shpigelski pretend to be witty and cheerful around his patients?
10. Describe what Islayev does for a living.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Islayev and Anna are so upset and confused when they see Natalya crying with Rakitin.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of jealousy in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Contrast Natalya's "cunning" with Beliayev's honesty and straightforward demeanor.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)