|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of weather does Rakitin mention in Act 1, Part 2?
2. What friend has been writing to Vera, hoping that she'll write back?
3. What time is dinnertime in Natalya's household?
4. Whose illness did Shpigelski intend to treat in Act 1, Part 3?
5. Which character does Rakitin love?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 2, Part 2, when Natalya is speaking with Rakitin, why does she move the conversation from a discussion of her behavior to a discussion of Bolshintsov?
2. Describe the difference between Rakitin's and Islayev's plans for Rakitin to leave.
3. Describe the setting of Act 4, Part 1, and how the characters use it.
4. What does Katya think about the possible marriage of Shpigelski and Liza?
5. In Act 1, Part 2, how does Shpigelski respond to the question, "How are you?"
6. Summarize Natalya's soliloquy at the end of Act 3, Part 3, regarding her immediately preceding conversation with Beliayev.
7. What does Natalya mean when she tells Rakitin, "Sometimes when we talk together it's exactly as though [...] we were making lace"?
8. Why does Liza say at the end of Act 5 that she, too, will be leaving?
9. What is the question that Natalya asks Rakitin in Act 1, Part 1, and why does he spend so much time thinking about it?
10. Describe Natalya's thoughts on youth and old age, as presented in Act 2, Part 2.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List all the characters who choose to leave Natalya's household and why. What effect will this exodus have on the characters who remain in the household?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Turgenev uses minor characters for comic relief in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Islayev and Anna are so upset and confused when they see Natalya crying with Rakitin.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)