|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rakitin states that he is "like wax in your hands" to whom?
2. Which character does Rakitin love?
3. What did Natalya's father call her?
4. Who is searching for a tutor in Moscow for Kolya?
5. Whom had Rakitin been visiting before coming to Natalya's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Rakitin means by this line: "What does all this mean? Is it the beginning of the end, or the end itself? [...] Or is it the beginning, perhaps?"
2. Why does Vera decide to marry Bolshintsov?
3. Describe Natalya's thoughts on youth and old age, as presented in Act 2, Part 2.
4. In Act 2, Part 2, when Natalya is speaking with Rakitin, why does she move the conversation from a discussion of her behavior to a discussion of Bolshintsov?
5. Describe the setting of Act 4, Part 1, and how the characters use it.
6. Describe Natalya's confession to Beliayev in Act 4, Part 3.
7. What conclusion does Rakitin draw in Act 4, Part 3, after he inquires about Natalya's decision and Natalya says, "What decision? ... I don't understand"?
8. Describe the relationship between Natalya and Rakitin, as it stands in Act 1, Part 2.
9. Why does Shpigelski state that he believes Natalya's level of bile is bothering her?
10. Summarize Anna's advice to Islayev, as discussed in Act 5, Part 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Natalya's thoughts about Beliayev in Act 1 with her thoughts about him in Act 5. How has her perception of him changed?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of fruit in the play, and offer at least one other example of an object that has some significance.
Essay Topic 3
List all the characters who choose to leave Natalya's household and why. What effect will this exodus have on the characters who remain in the household?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)