|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Natalya like most about the character with whom she is infatuated?
2. Which character says to Natalya, "Each of us is a closed book, that's true"?
3. What is Schaaf carrying in Act 2, Part 1?
4. What game are the characters playing in Act 1, Part 1?
5. What does Vera suggest that Beliayev call her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused Vera to realize that Natalya is in love with Beliayev? Explain.
2. Why does Natalya suddenly seem to consider Shpigelski's matchmaking possibility at the end of Act 1, Part 3?
3. In Act 1, Part 2, how does Shpigelski respond to the question, "How are you?"
4. Describe what happens between Matvey and Katya at the beginning of Act 2, Part 1.
5. What is the plan that Rakitin and Beliayev have devised for leaving Natalya's household?
6. Why does Shpigelski state that he believes Natalya's level of bile is bothering her?
7. What is the advice Shpigelski gives Bolshintsov regarding wooing women?
8. For what does Natalya ask Rakitin's help in Act 3, Part 1? How does Rakitin respond?
9. Describe Beliayev, according to Natalya's report in Act 1, Part 1.
10. Why does Shpigelski say that he and Bolshintsov were searching for mushrooms?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Contrast Natalya's "cunning" with Beliayev's honesty and straightforward demeanor.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of jealousy in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the significance of Katya and Anna in propelling the plot forward.
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)