|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Natalya accuse of being "mysterious"?
2. Which character says to Natalya, "Each of us is a closed book, that's true"?
3. In Act 2, Part 3, which character is jealous of Natalya's affections?
4. Where did Beliayev live before coming to Natalya's house?
5. What type of weather does Rakitin mention in Act 1, Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what does Natalya ask Rakitin's help in Act 3, Part 1? How does Rakitin respond?
2. Summarize Natalya's soliloquy at the end of Act 3, Part 3, regarding her immediately preceding conversation with Beliayev.
3. Why does Natalya believe that it's improper for Vera to be in the garden by herself with Beliayev?
4. Why does Beliayev reject Vera's suggestion that he call her Verochka?
5. What does Katya think about the possible marriage of Shpigelski and Liza?
6. For what does Shpigelski ask Rakitin's help? Why?
7. How does Shpigelski's song at the end of Act 4, Part 1 relate to Natalya's problem with Beliayev and Vera?
8. What caused Vera to realize that Natalya is in love with Beliayev? Explain.
9. Why is Rakitin reading The Count of Monte Cristo aloud?
10. What is the plan that Rakitin and Beliayev have devised for leaving Natalya's household?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Turgenev uses minor characters for comic relief in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of jealousy in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of fruit in the play, and offer at least one other example of an object that has some significance.
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)