|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Schaaf carrying in Act 2, Part 1?
2. What game are the characters playing in Act 1, Part 1?
3. According to Shpigelski, what is the "main thing in marriage"?
4. Which name below is the name of one of the suitors in Shpigelski's story in Act 1, Part 2?
5. Whom had Rakitin been visiting before coming to Natalya's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shpigelski say that he and Bolshintsov were searching for mushrooms?
2. What caused Vera to realize that Natalya is in love with Beliayev? Explain.
3. Why does Natalya send Vera away so suddenly in Act 3, Part 2?
4. Why is Natalya astonished by the thought of her husband at the end of Act 3, Part 1?
5. Describe the relationship between Natalya and Rakitin, as it stands in Act 1, Part 2.
6. What does Natalya mean when she tells Rakitin, "Sometimes when we talk together it's exactly as though [...] we were making lace"?
7. Why does Natalya not invite Shpigelski, Rakitin, and Bolshintsov to go fly the kite?
8. Why does Natalya suddenly seem to consider Shpigelski's matchmaking possibility at the end of Act 1, Part 3?
9. Describe what happens between Matvey and Katya at the beginning of Act 2, Part 1.
10. Summarize Beliayev's response to Natalya's revelation that Vera is in love with him.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of youth versus old age, including specific examples of its occurrence in the play.
Essay Topic 2
List all the characters who choose to leave Natalya's household and why. What effect will this exodus have on the characters who remain in the household?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Shpigelski's behavior around his patients, particularly the wealthy patients such as Natalya, with his perception of himself, as stated to Liza in Act 4.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)