|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long have Rakitin and Natalya known each other?
2. How did Beliayev translate "quatre-vingt-dix"?
3. What friend has been writing to Vera, hoping that she'll write back?
4. According to Shpigelski, what is bothering Natalya in addition to her nerves?
5. Which female character takes snuff?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shpigelski state that he believes Natalya's level of bile is bothering her?
2. Why does Shpigelski say that he and Bolshintsov were searching for mushrooms?
3. Describe Natalya's childhood.
4. Why does Natalya insist in Act 3, Part 2, that Vera imagine her as a sister?
5. Summarize Beliayev's response to Natalya's revelation that Vera is in love with him.
6. Describe what Islayev does for a living.
7. Describe the relationship between Natalya and Rakitin, as it stands in Act 1, Part 2.
8. Why is Islayev surprised to find Natalya and Rakitin in the hallway in Act 4, Part 3?
9. For what does Shpigelski ask Rakitin's help? Why?
10. Describe what happens between Matvey and Katya at the beginning of Act 2, Part 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the passageway and the type of events that occur there.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Turgenev uses minor characters for comic relief in the play.
Essay Topic 3
List all the characters who choose to leave Natalya's household and why. What effect will this exodus have on the characters who remain in the household?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)