|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far is it from Bolshintsov's village to Natalya's house?
(a) 200 miles.
(b) 400 yards.
(c) 20 miles.
(d) 15 miles.
2. Which character claims to be a "practical sort of person"?
3. How old is Beliayev?
4. What is the name of Kolya's horse?
5. How many serfs does the girl in Shpigelski's story inherit from her aunt?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Islayev, what object is "like a miniature tornado"?
2. In Act 1, Part 1, Rakitin states that Natalya is like what kind of animal?
3. How many serfs does Bolshintsov have?
4. What is Katya picking in Act 2, Part 1?
5. Which character says the first line in Act 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shpigelski pretend to be witty and cheerful around his patients?
2. Summarize Beliayev's response to Natalya's revelation that Vera is in love with him.
3. What makes Rakitin so happy in Act 1, Part 2?
4. What caused Vera to realize that Natalya is in love with Beliayev? Explain.
5. What does Rakitin think about in his soliloquy in Act 2, Part 2, and what conclusions does he reach?
6. Why does Natalya not invite Shpigelski, Rakitin, and Bolshintsov to go fly the kite?
7. For what does Shpigelski ask Rakitin's help? Why?
8. Why does Liza say at the end of Act 5 that she, too, will be leaving?
9. Why does Shpigelski state that he believes Natalya's level of bile is bothering her?
10. Describe the difference between Rakitin's and Islayev's plans for Rakitin to leave.
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)