|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What game are the characters playing in Act 1, Part 1?
2. Who enters at the beginning of Act 1, Part 3?
3. Where does Vera go to school in Moscow?
(a) Madame Beauluce's.
(b) Madame Berenice's.
(c) Madame Celeste's.
(d) Madame Beatrice's.
4. What was Dufour's country of origin?
5. Which character sometimes says "bed and brutter" instead of "bread and butter"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which female character takes snuff?
2. What time is dinnertime in Natalya's household?
3. What does Beliayev intend to shoot in the garden?
4. According to Shpigelski, what is bothering Natalya in addition to her nerves?
5. Who is going to teach Kolya to swim?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rakitin mention Beliayev's new coat in Act 5, Part 2?
2. Describe Natalya's confession to Beliayev in Act 4, Part 3.
3. According to Act 4, Part 3, what is Beliayev's reason for not having been personable with Natalya previously?
4. Summarize Beliayev's response to Natalya's revelation that Vera is in love with him.
5. In her soliloquy in the middle of Act 3, Part 3, how does Natalya assess her relationship with Rakitin and with Beliayev?
6. Why does Shpigelski state that he believes Natalya's level of bile is bothering her?
7. Why does Natalya suddenly seem to consider Shpigelski's matchmaking possibility at the end of Act 1, Part 3?
8. Why does Liza say at the end of Act 5 that she, too, will be leaving?
9. What does Katya think about the possible marriage of Shpigelski and Liza?
10. What is Vera's relationship to Natalya's household? How does Natalya characterize that relationship "in the eyes of the world" when she and Vera are talking in Act 3, Part 2?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)