|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Natalya like about Shpigelski?
(a) His sharp wit.
(b) His upbringing.
(c) His physique.
(d) His appreciation for fine food.
2. How old is Vera?
3. How many serfs does the girl in Shpigelski's story inherit from her aunt?
4. Rakitin states that he is "like wax in your hands" to whom?
5. In Act 2, Part 1, who reports having burst into tears unexpectedly?
Short Answer Questions
1. What game are the characters playing in Act 1, Part 1?
2. Who sings a song in Act 2, Part 1?
3. What time is dinnertime in Natalya's household?
4. According to Islayev, what object is "like a miniature tornado"?
5. Which character says the first line in Act 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Islayev surprised to find Natalya and Rakitin in the hallway in Act 4, Part 3?
2. Why does Vera decide to marry Bolshintsov?
3. In Act 1, Part 2, how does Shpigelski respond to the question, "How are you?"
4. What conclusion does Rakitin draw in Act 4, Part 3, after he inquires about Natalya's decision and Natalya says, "What decision? ... I don't understand"?
5. Why does Shpigelski state that he believes Natalya's level of bile is bothering her?
6. In her soliloquy in the middle of Act 3, Part 3, how does Natalya assess her relationship with Rakitin and with Beliayev?
7. How does Rakitin depict love to Beliayev in Act 5, Part 1?
8. For what does Shpigelski ask Rakitin's help? Why?
9. Describe what happens between Matvey and Katya at the beginning of Act 2, Part 1.
10. Summarize the story that Shpigelski relates in Act 1, Part 2.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)