|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Islayev, who "lacks [...] love for his job"?
(a) The American chimney sweep.
(b) The German peasant.
(d) The Russian peasant.
2. How many serfs does the girl in Shpigelski's story inherit from her aunt?
3. Rakitin states that he is "like wax in your hands" to whom?
4. How old is Beliayev?
5. Which name below is the name of one of the suitors in Shpigelski's story in Act 1, Part 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who initially brings up the possibility of Vera getting married?
2. Whom had Rakitin been visiting before coming to Natalya's house?
3. According to Schaaf, what is the "thief of time"?
4. For what does Kolya request some glue?
5. For what does Beliayev want to buy gunpowder?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the difference between Rakitin's and Islayev's plans for Rakitin to leave.
2. In her soliloquy in the middle of Act 3, Part 3, how does Natalya assess her relationship with Rakitin and with Beliayev?
3. Describe what happens between Matvey and Katya at the beginning of Act 2, Part 1.
4. Describe Beliayev, according to Natalya's report in Act 1, Part 1.
5. Summarize Beliayev's response to Natalya's revelation that Vera is in love with him.
6. According to Act 2, Part 1, why do Vera and Beliayev get along so well? Explain.
7. According to his soliloquy in Act 4, Part 2, what does Beliayev think about the events that have transpired with Natalya and Vera?
8. What does Katya think about the possible marriage of Shpigelski and Liza?
9. What does Rakitin think about in his soliloquy in Act 2, Part 2, and what conclusions does he reach?
10. In Act 1, Part 2, how does Shpigelski respond to the question, "How are you?"
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)