|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Shpigelski, what is the "main thing in marriage"?
(c) "A solid character."
(d) "Polite tolerance."
2. About whom does Shpigelski tell a story in Act 1, Part 2?
3. Whom does Natalya call "a great cynic"?
4. Which character says to Natalya, "Each of us is a closed book, that's true"?
5. Which character does Rakitin love?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the carpenter who is working on Islayev's project?
2. How many serfs does the girl in Shpigelski's story inherit from her aunt?
3. In Act 3, Part 1, whose help does Shpigelski solicit in matching Bolshintsov and Vera?
4. What does Beliayev intend to shoot in the garden?
5. How many serfs does Bolshintsov have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Beliayev's response to Natalya's revelation that Vera is in love with him.
2. Why does Shpigelski pretend to be witty and cheerful around his patients?
3. Describe what happens between Matvey and Katya at the beginning of Act 2, Part 1.
4. Describe what Islayev does for a living.
5. Why does Natalya insist to Shpigelski that Vera is still a child?
6. According to Act 4, Part 3, what is Beliayev's reason for not having been personable with Natalya previously?
7. In Act 3, Part 3, why does Rakitin beg Islayev and Anna to leave Natalya alone for the moment?
8. In Act 1, Part 2, how does Shpigelski respond to the question, "How are you?"
9. Why does Rakitin mention Beliayev's new coat in Act 5, Part 2?
10. Describe Natalya's confession to Beliayev in Act 4, Part 3.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)