|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Islayev, who "lacks [...] love for his job"?
(a) The Russian peasant.
(c) The American chimney sweep.
(d) The German peasant.
2. Which two types of tree does Rakitin compare in Act 2, Part 2?
(a) Oak and maple.
(b) Hickory and willow.
(c) Oak and birch.
(d) Apple and pear.
3. What is one of Shpigelski's vices?
4. How many sisters does Beliayev have?
5. Who wins most of the hands of the game in Act 1, Part 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the carpenter who is working on Islayev's project?
2. In Act 3, Part 1, Natalya confesses that she is infatuated with which character?
3. What does Beliayev intend to shoot in the garden?
4. What toy does Kolya have in Act 2, Part 3?
5. How many serfs does the girl in Shpigelski's story inherit from her aunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Shpigelski's assessment of whether or not Rakitin is dangerous to Natalya's family.
2. Why does Katya insist that Beliayev take all her raspberries?
3. Describe what happens between Matvey and Katya at the beginning of Act 2, Part 1.
4. What is the question that Natalya asks Rakitin in Act 1, Part 1, and why does he spend so much time thinking about it?
5. Why did Islayev never previously intervene in the relationship between Natalya and Rakitin?
6. Describe Beliayev, according to Natalya's report in Act 1, Part 1.
7. What is Vera's relationship to Natalya's household? How does Natalya characterize that relationship "in the eyes of the world" when she and Vera are talking in Act 3, Part 2?
8. What is the advice Shpigelski gives Bolshintsov regarding wooing women?
9. Describe Natalya's confession to Beliayev in Act 4, Part 3.
10. When Natalya interrupts the conversation between Vera and Beliayev in Act 4, Part 2, how does she react to Vera's accusations?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)