|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Natalya states in Act 2, Part 2, "there's nothing more depressing than gloomy" what?
2. Which character says the first line in Act 3?
3. Who enters at the end of Act 1, Part 1?
4. Whom does Rakitin call "our unspoiled youth" in his soliloquy in Act 2, Part 2?
5. Which female character takes snuff?
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Kolya request some glue?
2. How much money does the loser owe the winner of the game in Act 1, Part 2?
3. How far is it from Bolshintsov's village to Natalya's house?
4. How many serfs does Bolshintsov have?
5. How many serfs does the girl in Shpigelski's story inherit from her aunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Katya insist that Beliayev take all her raspberries?
2. Summarize Anna's advice to Islayev, as discussed in Act 5, Part 1.
3. What is Vera's relationship to Natalya's household? How does Natalya characterize that relationship "in the eyes of the world" when she and Vera are talking in Act 3, Part 2?
4. Why does Natalya insist in Act 3, Part 2, that Vera imagine her as a sister?
5. Describe the setting of Act 4, Part 1, and how the characters use it.
6. For what does Shpigelski ask Rakitin's help? Why?
7. In Act 1, Part 2, how does Shpigelski respond to the question, "How are you?"
8. Why does Natalya insist to Shpigelski that Vera is still a child?
9. Explain what Rakitin means by this line: "What does all this mean? Is it the beginning of the end, or the end itself? [...] Or is it the beginning, perhaps?"
10. For what does Natalya ask Rakitin's help in Act 3, Part 1? How does Rakitin respond?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)