|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Vera?
2. Whose illness did Shpigelski intend to treat in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) The construction foreman's.
(b) The gardener's.
(c) The coachman's.
(d) The librarian's.
3. How many serfs does Bolshintsov have?
4. Which novel did Beliayev translate?
(a) Les Miserables.
(c) The Milkmaid of Montfermel.
(d) The Three Musketeers.
5. Whom had Rakitin been visiting before coming to Natalya's house?
(b) The Verenitsins.
(c) The Krinitsins.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Shpigelski, "a doctor worth his salt is never" what?
2. Who is searching for a tutor in Moscow for Kolya?
3. In Act 1, Part 1, Rakitin states that Natalya is like what kind of animal?
4. Which name below is the name of one of the suitors in Shpigelski's story in Act 1, Part 2?
5. Who is going to teach Kolya to swim?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rakitin depict love to Beliayev in Act 5, Part 1?
2. In Act 3, Part 3, why does Rakitin beg Islayev and Anna to leave Natalya alone for the moment?
3. What makes Rakitin so happy in Act 1, Part 2?
4. Why did Islayev never previously intervene in the relationship between Natalya and Rakitin?
5. What is the plan that Rakitin and Beliayev have devised for leaving Natalya's household?
6. What conclusion does Rakitin draw in Act 4, Part 3, after he inquires about Natalya's decision and Natalya says, "What decision? ... I don't understand"?
7. What caused Vera to realize that Natalya is in love with Beliayev? Explain.
8. Describe the relationship between Natalya and Rakitin, as it stands in Act 1, Part 2.
9. What is the question that Natalya asks Rakitin in Act 1, Part 1, and why does he spend so much time thinking about it?
10. Summarize Shpigelski's assessment of whether or not Rakitin is dangerous to Natalya's family.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)