|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many serfs does Bolshintsov have?
2. What does Natalya like about Shpigelski?
(a) His sharp wit.
(b) His appreciation for fine food.
(c) His physique.
(d) His upbringing.
3. How many serfs does the girl in Shpigelski's story inherit from her aunt?
4. Whom does Natalya call "that village Talleyrand"?
5. What is Beliayev's favorite part of a newspaper?
(a) The opinion pages.
(b) The articles.
(c) The photos.
(d) The comic strips.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beliayev intend to shoot in the garden?
2. According to Rakitin in Act 1, Part 1, where did he see Islayev earlier in the day?
3. Which two types of tree does Rakitin compare in Act 2, Part 2?
4. Natalya believes that she and Rakitin are old in comparison to whom?
5. What do Natalya's relatives call her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shpigelski say that he and Bolshintsov were searching for mushrooms?
2. Describe the relationship between Natalya and Rakitin, as it stands in Act 1, Part 2.
3. What is the advice Shpigelski gives Bolshintsov regarding wooing women?
4. Summarize Anna's advice to Islayev, as discussed in Act 5, Part 1.
5. Summarize Shpigelski's assessment of whether or not Rakitin is dangerous to Natalya's family.
6. What caused Vera to realize that Natalya is in love with Beliayev? Explain.
7. In her soliloquy in the middle of Act 3, Part 3, how does Natalya assess her relationship with Rakitin and with Beliayev?
8. In Act 1, Part 2, how does Shpigelski respond to the question, "How are you?"
9. Why is Islayev surprised to find Natalya and Rakitin in the hallway in Act 4, Part 3?
10. Why is Natalya astonished by the thought of her husband at the end of Act 3, Part 1?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)