|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character does Rakitin love?
2. Whom does Natalya call "a great cynic"?
3. Whom had Rakitin been visiting before coming to Natalya's house?
(b) The Verenitsins.
(d) The Krinitsins.
4. Who enters at the beginning of Act 1, Part 3?
5. Which character claims to be a "practical sort of person"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Vera go to school in Moscow?
2. What friend has been writing to Vera, hoping that she'll write back?
3. What type of weather does Rakitin mention in Act 1, Part 2?
4. According to Shpigelski, "a doctor worth his salt is never" what?
5. From what book does Rakitin read aloud?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Rakitin means by this line: "What does all this mean? Is it the beginning of the end, or the end itself? [...] Or is it the beginning, perhaps?"
2. What does Natalya mean when she tells Rakitin, "Sometimes when we talk together it's exactly as though [...] we were making lace"?
3. For what does Shpigelski ask Rakitin's help? Why?
4. Describe the setting of Act 4, Part 1, and how the characters use it.
5. Why does Natalya insist to Shpigelski that Vera is still a child?
6. According to Act 4, Part 3, what is Beliayev's reason for not having been personable with Natalya previously?
7. Describe Beliayev's opinion of writers.
8. Why does Shpigelski state that he believes Natalya's level of bile is bothering her?
9. Summarize the story that Shpigelski relates in Act 1, Part 2.
10. How does Rakitin depict love to Beliayev in Act 5, Part 1?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)