|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who plans to be Natalya's partner in "educating" Beliayev?
2. Which novel did Beliayev translate?
(a) The Three Musketeers.
(b) Les Miserables.
(d) The Milkmaid of Montfermel.
3. Where did Beliayev live before coming to Natalya's house?
(d) St. Petersburg.
4. What does Natalya like about Shpigelski?
(a) His sharp wit.
(b) His physique.
(c) His upbringing.
(d) His appreciation for fine food.
5. What does Natalya primarily want for Kolya?
(a) Strong ethics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Shpigelski, "a doctor worth his salt is never" what?
2. What is Shpigelski going to receive in return for matchmaking?
3. Which character states that "it's wrong to put one's life in chains"?
4. Who wants Katya to marry him?
5. For what does Beliayev want to buy gunpowder?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Natalya send Vera away so suddenly in Act 3, Part 2?
2. Why does Liza say at the end of Act 5 that she, too, will be leaving?
3. Describe what Islayev does for a living.
4. Summarize Natalya's soliloquy at the end of Act 3, Part 3, regarding her immediately preceding conversation with Beliayev.
5. Why does Beliayev reject Vera's suggestion that he call her Verochka?
6. According to Act 4, Part 3, what is Beliayev's reason for not having been personable with Natalya previously?
7. Why does Shpigelski pretend to be witty and cheerful around his patients?
8. Why does Natalya insist to Shpigelski that Vera is still a child?
9. Why does Natalya not invite Shpigelski, Rakitin, and Bolshintsov to go fly the kite?
10. For what does Natalya ask Rakitin's help in Act 3, Part 1? How does Rakitin respond?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)