|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the carpenter who is working on Islayev's project?
2. How long has Beliayev lived in Natalya's household?
(a) Four weeks.
(b) Five months.
(c) Two months.
(d) A year.
3. According to Natalya, what is one of nature's primary characteristics?
(b) A threatening demeanor.
4. To whom does Shpigelski prescribe "little white pills"?
5. Whom does Natalya call "that village Talleyrand"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 3, Part 1, whose help does Shpigelski solicit in matching Bolshintsov and Vera?
2. How old is Vera?
3. Which character claims to be a "practical sort of person"?
4. What do Natalya's relatives call her?
5. According to Islayev, who "lacks [...] love for his job"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rakitin mention Beliayev's new coat in Act 5, Part 2?
2. Why do Natalya and Rakitin resolve to "educate" Beliayev?
3. Describe the setting of Act 4, Part 1, and how the characters use it.
4. Why does Natalya believe that it's improper for Vera to be in the garden by herself with Beliayev?
5. According to his soliloquy in Act 4, Part 2, what does Beliayev think about the events that have transpired with Natalya and Vera?
6. Summarize the story that Shpigelski relates in Act 1, Part 2.
7. According to Act 4, Part 3, what is Beliayev's reason for not having been personable with Natalya previously?
8. What does Katya think about the possible marriage of Shpigelski and Liza?
9. What is the advice Shpigelski gives Bolshintsov regarding wooing women?
10. In Act 2, Part 2, when Natalya is speaking with Rakitin, why does she move the conversation from a discussion of her behavior to a discussion of Bolshintsov?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)