|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Beliayev?
2. Where does Vera go to school in Moscow?
(a) Madame Beatrice's.
(b) Madame Celeste's.
(c) Madame Berenice's.
(d) Madame Beauluce's.
3. Which character sometimes says "bed and brutter" instead of "bread and butter"?
4. For what does Beliayev want to buy gunpowder?
(a) His rifle.
(b) Getting rid of ants.
(c) His cannon.
5. Whose illness did Shpigelski intend to treat in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) The coachman's.
(b) The construction foreman's.
(c) The librarian's.
(d) The gardener's.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which novel did Beliayev translate?
2. In Act 2, Part 3, which character is jealous of Natalya's affections?
3. In Act 3, Part 1, Natalya confesses that she is infatuated with which character?
4. What time is dinnertime in Natalya's household?
5. Who sings a song in Act 2, Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rakitin think about in his soliloquy in Act 2, Part 2, and what conclusions does he reach?
2. Describe the progress of the game that Schaaf, Anna, and Liza are playing.
3. Describe Beliayev, according to Natalya's report in Act 1, Part 1.
4. According to his soliloquy in Act 4, Part 2, what does Beliayev think about the events that have transpired with Natalya and Vera?
5. What is the question that Natalya asks Rakitin in Act 1, Part 1, and why does he spend so much time thinking about it?
6. Describe Rakitin's plan for solving Natalya's predicament regarding Beliayev.
7. Describe the setting of Act 4, Part 1, and how the characters use it.
8. Describe Natalya's childhood.
9. How does Shpigelski's song at the end of Act 4, Part 1 relate to Natalya's problem with Beliayev and Vera?
10. What is Vera's relationship to Natalya's household? How does Natalya characterize that relationship "in the eyes of the world" when she and Vera are talking in Act 3, Part 2?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)