|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Islayev, what object is "like a miniature tornado"?
(a) The ceiling fan.
(b) The kitchen whisk.
(c) The conveyor belt.
(d) The winnowing fan.
2. Who enters at the end of Act 1, Part 1?
3. Rakitin states that he is "like wax in your hands" to whom?
4. According to Shpigelski, which character is "straight from the Golden Age of Innocence"?
5. According to Shpigelski, what is the "main thing in marriage"?
(b) "Polite tolerance."
(d) "A solid character."
Short Answer Questions
1. With which character did Natalya want to talk in Act 2, Part 2?
2. According to Shpigelski, what is bothering Natalya in addition to her nerves?
3. How many serfs does the girl in Shpigelski's story inherit from her aunt?
4. What time is dinnertime in Natalya's household?
5. What does Vera suggest that Beliayev call her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Beliayev's response to Natalya's revelation that Vera is in love with him.
2. Why does Liza say at the end of Act 5 that she, too, will be leaving?
3. Why does Natalya believe that it's improper for Vera to be in the garden by herself with Beliayev?
4. What makes Rakitin so happy in Act 1, Part 2?
5. Summarize Natalya's soliloquy at the end of Act 3, Part 3, regarding her immediately preceding conversation with Beliayev.
6. Summarize Shpigelski's assessment of whether or not Rakitin is dangerous to Natalya's family.
7. Why does Rakitin mention Beliayev's new coat in Act 5, Part 2?
8. In her soliloquy in the middle of Act 3, Part 3, how does Natalya assess her relationship with Rakitin and with Beliayev?
9. Why is Islayev surprised to find Natalya and Rakitin in the hallway in Act 4, Part 3?
10. According to Act 2, Part 1, why do Vera and Beliayev get along so well? Explain.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)