|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long have Rakitin and Natalya known each other?
(a) Three years.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Four years.
(d) Seven years.
2. Which female character takes snuff?
3. What is Schaaf carrying in Act 2, Part 1?
(a) A crossbow.
(b) A cello.
(c) A fishing rod.
(d) A Greek lexicon.
4. How did Beliayev translate "quatre-vingt-dix"?
(c) "To be or not to be."
5. According to Schaaf, what is the "thief of time"?
(c) Mowing the lawn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Rakitin call "our unspoiled youth" in his soliloquy in Act 2, Part 2?
2. According to Shpigelski, which character is "straight from the Golden Age of Innocence"?
3. Who is searching for a tutor in Moscow for Kolya?
4. Whom does Natalya call "that village Talleyrand"?
5. Whom does Natalya accuse of being "mysterious"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Islayev surprised to find Natalya and Rakitin in the hallway in Act 4, Part 3?
2. Describe Natalya's thoughts on youth and old age, as presented in Act 2, Part 2.
3. Describe the progress of the game that Schaaf, Anna, and Liza are playing.
4. Why does Natalya believe that it's improper for Vera to be in the garden by herself with Beliayev?
5. Describe what Islayev does for a living.
6. For what does Natalya ask Rakitin's help in Act 3, Part 1? How does Rakitin respond?
7. In Act 3, Part 3, why does Rakitin beg Islayev and Anna to leave Natalya alone for the moment?
8. According to Act 4, Part 3, what is Beliayev's reason for not having been personable with Natalya previously?
9. Why does Natalya say to Rakitin, "It's wrong to put one's life in chains"? What does she mean?
10. In Act 2, Part 2, when Natalya is speaking with Rakitin, why does she move the conversation from a discussion of her behavior to a discussion of Bolshintsov?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)