|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Schaaf, what is the "thief of time"?
(d) Mowing the lawn.
2. According to Shpigelski, what is bothering Natalya in addition to her nerves?
(c) The north wind.
3. What toy does Kolya have in Act 2, Part 3?
(b) A kite.
(c) A slingshot.
(d) A train.
4. Who enters at the beginning of Act 1, Part 3?
5. Whom does Natalya accuse of being "mysterious"?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Shpigelski, "a doctor worth his salt is never" what?
2. Who is searching for a tutor in Moscow for Kolya?
3. Which character says to Natalya, "Each of us is a closed book, that's true"?
4. According to Shpigelski, what is the "main thing in marriage"?
5. For what does Beliayev want to buy gunpowder?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Islayev never previously intervene in the relationship between Natalya and Rakitin?
2. Describe Natalya's confession to Beliayev in Act 4, Part 3.
3. Why is Rakitin reading The Count of Monte Cristo aloud?
4. Describe Rakitin's plan for solving Natalya's predicament regarding Beliayev.
5. What does Katya think about the possible marriage of Shpigelski and Liza?
6. What does Rakitin think about in his soliloquy in Act 2, Part 2, and what conclusions does he reach?
7. In her soliloquy in the middle of Act 3, Part 3, how does Natalya assess her relationship with Rakitin and with Beliayev?
8. What is Vera's relationship to Natalya's household? How does Natalya characterize that relationship "in the eyes of the world" when she and Vera are talking in Act 3, Part 2?
9. Why does Natalya insist in Act 3, Part 2, that Vera imagine her as a sister?
10. Summarize Natalya's soliloquy at the end of Act 3, Part 3, regarding her immediately preceding conversation with Beliayev.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)