|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Natalya call "that village Talleyrand"?
2. Which character claims to be a "practical sort of person"?
3. From what book does Rakitin read aloud?
(a) A Christmas Carol.
(b) The Three Musketeers.
(c) The Count of Monte Cristo.
(d) Jane Eyre.
4. What do Natalya's relatives call her?
(d) Natalya Petrochka.
5. Whom had Rakitin been visiting before coming to Natalya's house?
(a) The Krinitsins.
(d) The Verenitsins.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Rakitin, which character is "simply an idiot"?
2. How old is Beliayev?
3. Who sings a song in Act 2, Part 1?
4. How far is it from Bolshintsov's village to Natalya's house?
5. What toy does Kolya have in Act 2, Part 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the difference between Rakitin's and Islayev's plans for Rakitin to leave.
2. Describe the progress of the game that Schaaf, Anna, and Liza are playing.
3. Describe the setting of Act 4, Part 1, and how the characters use it.
4. What does Natalya mean when she tells Rakitin, "Sometimes when we talk together it's exactly as though [...] we were making lace"?
5. Why does Natalya insist to Shpigelski that Vera is still a child?
6. Describe Beliayev's opinion of writers.
7. Why is Islayev surprised to find Natalya and Rakitin in the hallway in Act 4, Part 3?
8. Summarize Natalya's soliloquy at the end of Act 3, Part 3, regarding her immediately preceding conversation with Beliayev.
9. What does Katya think about the possible marriage of Shpigelski and Liza?
10. In Act 1, Part 2, how does Shpigelski respond to the question, "How are you?"
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)