|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Part 1, who reports having burst into tears unexpectedly?
2. What friend has been writing to Vera, hoping that she'll write back?
(b) Liza Moshnin.
(d) Anya Verenitsin.
3. For what does Beliayev want to buy gunpowder?
(a) Getting rid of ants.
(b) His cannon.
(c) His rifle.
4. Whom does Natalya call "that village Talleyrand"?
5. In Act 3, Part 1, Natalya confesses that she is infatuated with which character?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Rakitin, which character has recently been "constantly irritated"?
2. Whom does Rakitin call "our unspoiled youth" in his soliloquy in Act 2, Part 2?
3. How did Beliayev translate "quatre-vingt-dix"?
4. In Act 1, Part 1, Rakitin states that Natalya is like what kind of animal?
5. Whose illness did Shpigelski intend to treat in Act 1, Part 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conclusion does Rakitin draw in Act 4, Part 3, after he inquires about Natalya's decision and Natalya says, "What decision? ... I don't understand"?
2. What makes Rakitin so happy in Act 1, Part 2?
3. Summarize the story that Shpigelski relates in Act 1, Part 2.
4. Why does Shpigelski pretend to be witty and cheerful around his patients?
5. Describe Natalya's confession to Beliayev in Act 4, Part 3.
6. Why does Katya insist that Beliayev take all her raspberries?
7. What is the plan that Rakitin and Beliayev have devised for leaving Natalya's household?
8. Describe the relationship between Natalya and Rakitin, as it stands in Act 1, Part 2.
9. What is the question that Natalya asks Rakitin in Act 1, Part 1, and why does he spend so much time thinking about it?
10. In her soliloquy in the middle of Act 3, Part 3, how does Natalya assess her relationship with Rakitin and with Beliayev?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)