|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Shpigelski, what is the "main thing in marriage"?
(c) "A solid character."
(d) "Polite tolerance."
2. About whom does Shpigelski tell a story in Act 1, Part 2?
3. Where did Beliayev live before coming to Natalya's house?
(b) St. Petersburg.
4. What toy does Kolya have in Act 2, Part 3?
(a) A kite.
(b) A slingshot.
(c) A train.
5. How many sisters does Beliayev have?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who plans to be Natalya's partner in "educating" Beliayev?
2. Whom does Natalya suddenly remember at the end of Act 3, Part 1?
3. What did Beliayev pursue by climbing a tree?
4. Who enters at the beginning of Act 1, Part 3?
5. What type of weather does Rakitin mention in Act 1, Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Natalya's soliloquy at the end of Act 3, Part 3, regarding her immediately preceding conversation with Beliayev.
2. What is Vera's relationship to Natalya's household? How does Natalya characterize that relationship "in the eyes of the world" when she and Vera are talking in Act 3, Part 2?
3. According to Act 2, Part 1, why do Vera and Beliayev get along so well? Explain.
4. Describe Beliayev, according to Natalya's report in Act 1, Part 1.
5. Why does Natalya not invite Shpigelski, Rakitin, and Bolshintsov to go fly the kite?
6. Why does Liza say at the end of Act 5 that she, too, will be leaving?
7. How does Rakitin depict love to Beliayev in Act 5, Part 1?
8. For what does Shpigelski ask Rakitin's help? Why?
9. Why does Natalya believe that it's improper for Vera to be in the garden by herself with Beliayev?
10. Summarize Shpigelski's assessment of whether or not Rakitin is dangerous to Natalya's family.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)