|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Natalya primarily want for Kolya?
(a) Strong ethics.
2. Who teaches Kolya's piano lesson?
3. Who sings a song in Act 2, Part 1?
4. Which character says to Natalya, "Each of us is a closed book, that's true"?
5. Which character sometimes says "bed and brutter" instead of "bread and butter"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of Shpigelski's vices?
2. Natalya believes that she and Rakitin are old in comparison to whom?
3. What time is dinnertime in Natalya's household?
4. Who enters at the beginning of Act 1, Part 3?
5. According to Rakitin, which character has recently been "constantly irritated"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Beliayev's opinion of writers.
2. Why does Shpigelski state that he believes Natalya's level of bile is bothering her?
3. How does Shpigelski's song at the end of Act 4, Part 1 relate to Natalya's problem with Beliayev and Vera?
4. Why does Natalya suddenly seem to consider Shpigelski's matchmaking possibility at the end of Act 1, Part 3?
5. Describe what happens between Matvey and Katya at the beginning of Act 2, Part 1.
6. Summarize Anna's advice to Islayev, as discussed in Act 5, Part 1.
7. Why does Shpigelski pretend to be witty and cheerful around his patients?
8. What conclusion does Rakitin draw in Act 4, Part 3, after he inquires about Natalya's decision and Natalya says, "What decision? ... I don't understand"?
9. Describe Beliayev, according to Natalya's report in Act 1, Part 1.
10. Describe the relationship between Natalya and Rakitin, as it stands in Act 1, Part 2.
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)