Act 1, Part 1
• Schaaf, Anna, and Liza are playing Hearts, and although Schaaf has been winning most of the hands, Anna starts to gain an advantage over him.
• Rakitin is reading The Count of Monte Cristo to Natalya, because Natalya believes it is something to which she should be exposed. Even so, Natalya is uninterested in the story.
• Rakitin believes something is different about Natalya today.
• Kolya shows off the kite that Beliayev has made for him.
• Natalya and Rakitin think about Beliayev and decide that they should try to educate him and make him more like themselves.
Act 1, Part 2
• Shpigelski enters, and in order to please Natalya, he relates a story about a woman who couldn't choose between two suitors.
• Shpigelski has a discussion with Natalya about matching one of his friends with Vera.
• Natalya insists that Vera is not ready for marriage yet.
• Natalya reminds Rakitin of...
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)