Act 1, Part 1
* Schaaf, Anna, and Liza are playing Hearts, and although Schaaf has been winning most of the hands, Anna starts to gain an advantage over him.
* Rakitin is reading The Count of Monte Cristo to Natalya, because Natalya believes it is something to which she should be exposed. Even so, Natalya is uninterested in the story.
* Rakitin believes something is different about Natalya today.
* Kolya shows off the kite that Beliayev has made for him.
* Natalya and Rakitin think about Beliayev and decide that they should try to educate him and make him more like themselves.
Act 1, Part 2
* Shpigelski enters, and in order to please Natalya, he relates a story about a woman who couldn't choose between two suitors.
* Shpigelski has a discussion with Natalya about matching one of his friends with Vera.
* Natalya insists that Vera is not ready for marriage yet.
* Natalya reminds Rakitin of...
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)