|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is significant about Ballas' order for Hana to go out and get the chocolates?
2. What idea does Ballas come up with in Act 2, Scene 10?
3. What does Gross think he has to earn at the end of Act 2, Scene 9?
4. What action does Lear take as a result of his impatience in Act 2, Scene 8?
5. In a broader interpretation, what is the one thing that bureaucracy relies on to keep its power?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the characteristics of a satirical play. Why is comedy often used along with satire to make a point? Use examples from The Memorandum as references to your description. Also, explain what the target of the satire in the play is.
Essay Topic 2
Many characters in the play are given names to illustrate their specific place in the story, in the company, and in Havel's central theme in general. Sometimes these names are also references to other people or things.
1) Choose at least four characters and describe in detail why their names accomplish what Havel sets out to show with each of them. Use examples from the play to provide the reasoning for how you draw your conclusions.
2) Do you think that Havel also chose these names to add a comedic element to the characters as well? Why or why not? If that is the case, how does he achieve this?
Essay Topic 3
How does the final scene display the need to confront the attempt to suppress individualism and freedom at any cost? Which characters in the scene illustrate that the most? Why do you think Havel chose those characters to make the strongest point of the play?
This section contains 1,920 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)