|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ballas' initial reaction to Gross' news?
2. What is Lear asked for as he begins teaching about Chorukor?
3. What is Ballas' role in Lear's class?
4. What new position does Ballas offer Gross in Act 2, Scene 7?
5. What is significant about Ballas' order for Hana to go out and get the chocolates?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the play ends, there are two possible outcomes for Gross based on the decision he makes. Use the following format to present a case for both. Make sure to include examples from the play to support your cases.
1) First, explain why Gross' decision means that he will most likely never be able to make a difference at the company, and eventually might even stop trying altogether.
2) Second, explain why Gross' decision means that he will continue to fight from within the company, and eventually make a difference by stopping the bureaucracy, and gaining his independence in the process.
3) Finally, explain what will happen in your opinion. Which one of the above cases do you agree with and why?
Essay Topic 2
Thumb is an essential part of the bureaucratic system, even though he seems largely unaware of it. What is his specific role in the play and in the larger theme of the story? Which character traits allow him to fulfill that role? What are the more serious dangers that Thumb represents a warning against?
Essay Topic 3
Maria's new independence provides an optimistic ending of the play for the audience. What does it symbolize, not just for the character, but also for the main theme of the entire play? How does her departure symbolize hope? What does it say about freedom in general as it relates to independence?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)