|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Maria, what is the key to winning a fight?
2. What happens to take away from the power Gross thought he had at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 10?
3. Which two characters enter and leave during Lear's lecture in Act 2 , Scene 11?
4. What angers Ballas about Pillar's meetings?
5. In Act 2, Scene 7What does Ballas need help with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At a few key times in the play, sparks of hope present themselves. This is what keeps the audience hoping that Gross can turn things around, and it is also what makes them believe it may be possible.
1) Describe some examples of hope that Gross does not see or recognize at the time they are presented to him. What is the irony of this? What does it say about Gross' character?
2) The character of Maria is consistently a main source of hope for Gross. Why do you think Gross is inclined to receive positive messages from her more than from other characters? What is it about Maria's personality that allows her to break through the bureaucracy and provide the hope Gross desperately needs?
Essay Topic 2
In the second half of the play, Ballas and Gross switch roles. In dealing with the same frustrations, which differences in Ballas' character influence the way he handles things? What results does the different approach have? What does Gross realize as he sees Ballas deal with the issues? In detail, outline the significant differences in both characters, including how they changed throughout the play, yet still stayed the same in many ways. Use examples from the play as a reference.
Essay Topic 3
What does the new language, Chorukor, represent in the overall theme of the play? What is the major difference between it and Ptydepe? Explain in detail how each of the main characters react to Chorukor and why their reaction is significant. Do you believe that it can potentially fail in the same way that Ptydepe did, or will the same mistake keep being made? What will stop the mistake from being made again?
This section contains 1,917 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)