|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is significant about Pillar in Act 2, Scene 9?
(a) He talks to everyone but Gross.
(b) He admits that he understands Ptydepe.
(c) He remains unnoticed by Ballas.
(d) He reveals his plan for taking Ballas's position.
2. What does Maria do in the second part of Act 2, Scene 9 that no one else in the play has done up until this point?
(a) Stands up to Helena.
(b) Translates Gross' memo.
(c) Offers Gross coffee.
(d) Makes Gross smile.
3. What proposal does Ballas make to Gross in Act 2, Scene 9?
(a) To gather information to get Pillar fired.
(b) To create a new language that will replace Ptydepe.
(c) To work together to put the company back on track.
(d) To learn Ptydepe together.
4. Which two characters enter and leave during Lear's lecture in Act 2 , Scene 11?
(a) Ballas and Column.
(b) Pillar and Column.
(c) Ballas and Gross.
(d) Stroll and Gross.
5. Who is excited about Chorukor?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gross state that he would have rather kept his former position?
2. Acknowledging the intent of the play, what does Havel feel should triumph over bureaucracy?
3. In a broader interpretation, what is the one thing that bureaucracy relies on to keep its power?
4. What is interesting about the way Ballas receives the mail in Act 2, Scene 7?
5. Why doesn't Hana understand Ptydepe?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)