|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What leads to Ballas and Gross switching positions?
(a) A decision from the higher-ups.
(b) Gross' lack of Ptydepe proficiency.
(c) The Staff Watcher's report.
(d) A bet that Gross loses.
2. Where does Scene 2 take place?
(a) The mailroom.
(b) The Department of Authentication.
(c) The office.
(d) The Ptydepe classroom.
3. What does Gross offer during his argument with Ballas?
(a) To pay for additional Ptydepe classes.
(b) To confront the higher-ups.
(c) To resign.
(d) To raise Ballas' salary.
4. What does Gross interrupt at the start of Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) A conversation between Lear and Ballas.
(b) Lear's lecture.
(c) A meeting between Lear and Stroll.
(d) A board meeting called by Lear.
5. What is Gross searching for throughout Act 1, Scene 3?
(b) His cigarettes.
(c) His coffee.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Savant's primary responsibility as the Ptydepeist?
2. Who does Gross attempt to persuade in order to bypass authorization?
3. The larger metaphor for the clerk is a warning against what?
4. What does Gross ask Lear to do for him in Act 1, Scene 5?
5. What is Gross rumored to be using inappropriately?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do we notice right away about the relationship between Ballas and Pillar?
2. How is the symbolism of the fire extinguisher heightened at the beginning of the second part of Act 2, Scene 9, part 2 with George and Gross?
3. Where does Gross pass through in Act 2, Scene 8, what is he carrying, and what does that represent?
4. What are the noticeable habits of Hana, the secretary, that are displayed in the beginning of the play?
5. What is a Ptydepeist, and what is their purpose?
6. How do Stroll and Savant talk about Maria and what do they infer about Gross?
7. What is different about Thumb's responses in Act 2, Scene 8 as compared to earlier in the play?
8. What does Helena's request for Maria to help her make coffee symbolize?
9. What does Havel use the reference of a theater to symbolize?
10. What does Maria's locating a new job for Gross say about her as a character, and what does Gross' reason for staying with the company say about him as a character?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)