|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Department of Authentication refuse to authenticate the new log book?
(a) They inform them that there will no longer be a need for a log book.
(b) The book is too expensive.
(c) The expense wasn't officially authorized.
(d) They purchased the wrong type of log book.
2. As explained in the play, what is Ptydepe designed to reduce?
(a) Clerical errors.
(b) A language barrier between employees.
3. Where does Scene 2 take place?
(a) The mailroom.
(b) The Ptydepe classroom.
(c) The office.
(d) The Department of Authentication.
4. What is Gross's new title?
(a) Assistant Manager.
(b) Deputy Manager.
(c) Deputy Director.
(d) Assistant Director.
5. What is it about the letter that automatically irritates Gross?
(a) It is written in a condescending tone.
(b) It is not addressed to him.
(c) It is extremely long.
(d) It is written in an unknown language.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Act 1, Scene 3 take place?
2. As a result of Gross' incorrect answers, what does Lear deny him?
3. What do Stroll and Savant offer as proof for their theory that Gross "lusts after" Maria?
4. What does Helena's constant need for Maria to help her make coffee symbolize?
5. What does Gross declare is reduced when people are forbidden to use their natural language?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Stroll and Savant talk about Maria and what do they infer about Gross?
2. What do the cigars symbolize and how are they used to introduce the Staff Watcher's place in the play?
3. Why does Gross report to the Training Center in Act 1, Scene 5, and what is he carrying?
4. What does the fire extinguisher symbolize?
5. How does Lear explain Ptydepe in describing the process for learning it?
6. How does Gross justify his situation to himself towards the end of Act 1, Scene 4?
7. What are some of the differences between Ballas and Gross in their experiences as Managing Director?
8. What subtle things does Ballas do to maintain his power?
9. What are some examples in Scene 6 of Gross being continually kept of the loop?
10. How does Lear explain the complexities of Ptydepe to the class?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)