|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of the play, what kind of letter does Gross receive?
(a) A late notice.
(b) A memorandum.
(c) A shipping invoice.
(d) A bill.
2. Who gets quizzed along with Gross on their knowledge of Ptydepe?
3. The irony of the events in Acct 1, Scene 5 is that Gross' lack of knowledge prevents him from gaining what?
(c) His dignity.
(d) His management position back.
4. What does Gross finally concede to do in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Talk to the Staff Watcher.
(b) Authorize the continued use of Ptydepe.
(c) Purchase a new rubber stamp.
(d) Apologize to Stroll.
5. Lear agrees to help Gross, only if he can show that his interest in Ptydepe is what?
(c) A sign of acceptance.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 6, what is the one signal of hope that Gross does not see, symbolizing that he has lost all hope in his current situation?
2. Why does the Department of Authentication refuse to authenticate the new log book?
3. What happens to cause everyone at the party to stop talking?
4. What do the higher-ups apparently approve in return for the office using Ptydepe?
5. What is Gross rumored to be using inappropriately?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gross' signature of the Ptydepe authorization set into motion?
2. Explain the symbolic meanings behind some of the characters introduced in Act 1, Scene 3.
3. What reasoning does Gross give Maria for not reversing the decision about her job?
4. What is important about Maria's gesture to Gross at the end of Act 1, Scene 6, and what is the irony in it?
5. What are some of the differences between Ballas and Gross in their experiences as Managing Director?
6. After all of the speculation throughout the play, what are the contents of Gross' memo revealed to be, and what effect does this have on him?
7. What are some examples of the familiarity of Ballas' morning as Managing Director and what is it similar to?
8. What does the fact that Gross doesn't know the answers to Lear's Ptydepe questions also symbolize, and what is ironic about it?
9. What does the fire extinguisher symbolize?
10. What do we notice right away about the relationship between Ballas and Pillar?
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)