|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The irony of the events in Acct 1, Scene 5 is that Gross' lack of knowledge prevents him from gaining what?
(b) His dignity.
(c) His management position back.
2. What does Lear acknowledge about Ptydepe?
(a) It was created for the wrong reasons.
(b) It is pointless.
(c) It seems complicated.
(d) It is not structured well.
3. Which phrase best describes the clerk's actions?
(a) Sucking up.
4. The parallels Havel draws in Act 1, Scene 4 are between Ballas and what?
(b) Irrational thinking.
5. What point is the author trying to make by having Hana make separate trips for food?
(a) She is wasting time, but no one realizes it.
(b) They don't have money in the budget for a new log book, but there is money for food.
(c) She is always hungry.
(d) Gross has no control over her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it about the letter that automatically irritates Gross?
2. What does George, the Staff Watcher, do that upsets Gross and causes him to leave the room?
3. What do Stroll and Savant remark about Maria?
4. What is the underlying message about Stroll's position?
5. What does Ballas threaten Gross with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Hana's habits and actions symbolize?
2. What do we notice right away about the relationship between Ballas and Pillar?
3. What do Ballas and Column continue to perpetuate by going to lunch in the middle of Lear's lecture in Act 2, Scene 11?
4. How do Stroll and Savant talk about Maria and what do they infer about Gross?
5. What is both ironic and significant about Pillar's outburst at the end of Act 2, Scene 10?
6. What possibility does Lear's empty classroom at the end of Act 2, Scene 8 symbolize?
7. What is significant about Gross' search for cigarettes and what does Havel use it to represent in the play?
8. What are some examples in Scene 6 of Gross being continually kept of the loop?
9. What are two main issues that Gross has with Ptydepe in Act 1, Scene 1?
10. What does the fire extinguisher symbolize?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)