|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Ballas located at the end of Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) His old desk.
(b) The break room.
(c) Gross' desk.
(d) Strolls' office.
2. Where does the Staff Watcher watch from?
(a) The corner.
(b) The main office.
(c) The closet.
(d) A hole in the wall.
3. Where does Scene 2 take place?
(a) The office.
(b) The Department of Authentication.
(c) The Ptydepe classroom.
(d) The mailroom.
4. Who does Ballas point out is in control of Ptydepe?
(a) The higher-ups.
5. What is Gross's new title?
(a) Assistant Manager.
(b) Deputy Manager.
(c) Assistant Director.
(d) Deputy Director.
Short Answer Questions
1. The parallels Havel draws in Act 1, Scene 4 are between Ballas and what?
2. What does Gross finally concede to do in Act 1, Scene 4?
3. What is Savant's primary responsibility as the Ptydepeist?
4. What do Stroll and Savant offer as proof for their theory that Gross "lusts after" Maria?
5. Who receives an A, scoring better than Gross, on their knowledge of Ptydepe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about the way the conversation between Gross and Ballas starts and the way it concludes, specifically concerning Gross' job?
2. What do Ballas and Column continue to perpetuate by going to lunch in the middle of Lear's lecture in Act 2, Scene 11?
3. What is both ironic and significant about Pillar's outburst at the end of Act 2, Scene 10?
4. What does the fact that Gross doesn't know the answers to Lear's Ptydepe questions also symbolize, and what is ironic about it?
5. What is the reason Lear gives for a need of the new language, Ptydepe?
6. What events lead Gross to speak out against the technological advances that are affecting humanity?
7. What does Maria's locating a new job for Gross say about her as a character, and what does Gross' reason for staying with the company say about him as a character?
8. What are some of the differences between Ballas and Gross in their experiences as Managing Director?
9. What significant discovery does Ballas make at the end of Act 2, Scene 7?
10. Describe the difference between Thumb and Gross as the characters are portrayed in Act 1, Scene 2.
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)