|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to cause everyone at the party to stop talking?
(a) Maria slaps Stroll for making a rude comment.
(b) They discover there is no more coffee.
(c) Gross shouts for them to be quiet.
(d) Ballas and Pillar enter the room.
2. Who is revealed to be the person that authorized the use of Ptydepe?
3. Who does Gross talk to while he is waiting for Helena?
4. Where does Gross wish he could return to at the end of Acct 1, Scene 4?
(a) The Ptydepe Training Room.
(b) His apartment.
(c) His childhood.
(d) Stroll's office.
5. What does Maria ask Gross in Act 1, Scene 6?
(a) If he is going to learn Ptydepe.
(b) Why he tried to steal from Stroll's office.
(c) What he is doing at the party.
(d) Why he is no longer Managing Director.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the clerk's name in Scene 2?
2. What is Savant's primary responsibility as the Ptydepeist?
3. Where does the Staff Watcher watch from?
4. What is it about the letter that automatically irritates Gross?
5. Who does Gross attempt to persuade in order to bypass authorization?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the introduction of Ptydepe signal in the play as it pertains to Gross and his position within the company?
2. What does Gross' signature of the Ptydepe authorization set into motion?
3. Why does Gross report to the Training Center in Act 1, Scene 5, and what is he carrying?
4. How does Gross justify his situation to himself towards the end of Act 1, Scene 4?
5. What is different about Thumb's responses in Act 2, Scene 8 as compared to earlier in the play?
6. As illustrated in Scene 8, what is necessary for a bureaucracy to have power over its workers, and what is this an analogy for?
7. What are some examples in Scene 6 of Gross being continually kept of the loop?
8. Explain the symbolic meanings behind some of the characters introduced in Act 1, Scene 3.
9. What is it about Gross' personality that makes him susceptible to Ballas' manipulation?
10. How is the symbolism of the fire extinguisher heightened at the beginning of the second part of Act 2, Scene 9, part 2 with George and Gross?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)